Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm considering purchasing a large (50") 1080p set, mostly to "future proof" myself. I'm looking at flat panels. Now, right now there don't seem to be many large sets that have a native resolution of 1080p, and the ones out there are way too expensive.

Do you guys think that say, in a year from now, 1080p will be priced more reasonably, and the selection will be much greater? I'd like a new tv now, but if waiting a year means a better price on a TV that will give me some peace of mind, I'll wait.

Or should I ditch the whole future proofing notion and just get a 720p set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

pastis posted:

There will always be something better on the horizon. Welcome to Buyers Remorse land. :) Seriously, if you have the funds to do it now, why not enjoy 1080p today rather than tomorrow? However before you answer that question, let me ask you another-- what 1080p sources do you have now and what 1080p sources will you buy before next year?

Right now I have nothing, but as soon as I get the new TV, I will be getting an upconverting/region free player ( probably this one ). And I'll probably get an HD player as well. I'm hoping if I wait a while there might be a decent priced double format player, since I don't want to risk buying a $600 paperweight.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

pastis posted:

What 1080p tv models are you considering?

The Pioneer PRO-FHD1 50" plasma is looking real nice. It's just way out of my price range at this point. It needs to drop about 2 grand before I'd be able to consider it. That's why I'm considering waiting it out for about a year. I'm a patient person.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Chemmy posted:

The only thing I'd say is that you should be sure you need 1080p. There aren't many 1080p sources, and unless you sit real close it won't matter anyways.

Here's my thinking: I have a pretty limited budget, so an expensive TV purchase is a HUGE thing for me. Basically, when I buy my new TV, I don't plan on buying another one for at least half a decade. Therefore, I want one that in 4 years from now, I won't look back and say "boy, I sure wish I had bought a TV with the best technology at the time."

There will always be a better technology coming along, but right now 1080p HDTVs are the cream of the crop, and I don't forsee that technology being replaced anytime soon. Sure there aren't a lot of 1080p sources right now, but think about 2, 3, 4 years from now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sean_Miller posted:

Pulled the trigger and got a 55in Panasonic TC-P55ST50. The newest model for 2012. I was so close to buying a 2011 GT30 at best buy that was 1399 but the only one they had was the floor model and they couldn't sell that. I bought this sight unseen so I really hope its a big upgrade from my 40in Sony XBR4 LCD that I got in 2007. I think I'll be happy, I hope I will.

By all accounts this is a spectacular TV and the absolute best quality/price value in existence. I'm buying mine next month.

• Locked thread