Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

caiman posted:

The Pioneer PRO-FHD1 50" plasma is looking real nice. It's just way out of my price range at this point. It needs to drop about 2 grand before I'd be able to consider it. That's why I'm considering waiting it out for about a year. I'm a patient person.

Great TV, however the blacks are really not great - far more LCD-like than what one would expect from a high-end plasma. The good news is that Pioneer has stunning technology coming out with 80% darker blacks and 1080p. These sets should easily come out within the next year, offer better quality than anything out, and be relatively affordable.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/753/753836p1.html

quote:

IGN Gear attended a demonstration of Pioneer's upcoming Plasma displays and walked away as impressed as we get. Pioneer won't provide contrast-ratio figures on its next-gen Plasma technology, citing the figure as un-measurable. We'll assume that means more than 100,000:1, but we'll have to wait for specifics when they are eventually made available by third-party testing. Regardless, we left the Pioneer demonstration just as excited as when we walked out of Toshiba's SED demonstration exactly one year ago.

Edit: Panasonic also supposedly has similar technology that they are working on and will hopefully bring to market eventually. Doubtful that it will be within the next year, though. There's a decent thread on AVSF about the Pioneers, but like most AVS threads it is 5% content and 95% stupid faggots arguing.

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

FUCT posted:

How come these HDTV megathreads never cover SED TVs? Being a total snob when it comes to this kind of stuff I've stuck w/ CRT and will do so until I can get an SED TV.

Because they're never going to happen? That's like asking why Automotive Insanity doesn't have information on flying hypersonic space cars. Do some reading on the new Pioneer plasmas coming out. Everyone who has seen both the Pioneers and SEDs in person seems to think the Pioneers are equal. Not to mention they're actually going to be made in mass quantities and not cost as much as a house. Also OLED is coming along nicely and Sony has been showing off some decent-sized prototypes. I think OLED has a better chance than SED because of its large backing and the fact that it's already used in numerous small-scale applications.

Shrimpy posted:

Anyone happen to know any stores that are currently honoring this? I might be able to kill two birds with one stone and avoid an SXRD purchase.

I'm pretty sure i've read the 5016 is a Fry's only model. Not only would you have to find a store with a 5016, but they'd also have to that an FHD1. Not many stores carry either, let alone both.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Miko posted:

In terms of HD programming, assuming I have an HDTV and basic cable, is there any way to get HD content without having to buy a box and pay for a HD subscription, when all I want are just the channels I watch already in HD?

Alternately, can I just buy a HD settop box and get HD content through my existing coax? I really want to see this Sony Grand Wega in action.

Just plug the cable into the back of your TV. It probably has a QAM tuner and will receive the typical broadcast channels in HD. All of the HD channels only cost me $5 extra a month, are you really that thrifty? The STB rental fee was included in my cable service anyway. Buying one would cost you hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Bozart posted:

I am getting an HDTV soon. I don't really have much of a limit on my budget, but I'd like something 50 inches or lower and preferably flat panel.

Right now I've been looking at the Pioneer PRO-940HD which looks really nice. Any downsides to it or other tv's that I should be looking at instead?

You're on the right track with Pioneer, but get a 50" instead. The difference between the Elites and the standard models isn't worth getting the 42" 940 instead of the 50" 5070. If you can afford it then get the 1140. Or wait a couple months and see what their new sets are going to be like.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Bozart posted:

I've pretty much decided on getting an HDTV in the next week or so, I'm not going to wait and see.

Does the 50" do so much more than the 42"? It is wxga instead of xga I think. What sort of impact would that have on the picture?

Also, is pioneer playing catchup to other manufacturers - Sony, etc? Is there a better offering from one of them for the same size?

I have a 42" plasma now and only sit 6'-7' feet from it and can't wait to get a 50". You'll wish you got a 50" if you get a 42", and if money's not that big of an issue you have no reason not to. A 50" set has 41% more viewing area than a 42" set, it's definitely worth it. Pioneer TVs are definitely some of the best out there. Look at https://www.visualapex.com for good prices and service if you don't mind buying online.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Malay posted:

Since you appear to be the Pioneer expert, do you have any idea when the next-generation Pioneer panels will actually be in stock? I want a 5070, but the prices have been falling so rapidly the last few months, I'm thinking the close-outs on the 2006 models could bring it down to the $1,500 range. Possible? It's around $2,100 now, down from $2,500 in January.

I'm not sure if i would expect the prices to get that low, but it's also hard to predict these things. They just lowered their MSRPs a few weeks ago, so whether or not there will be another official price drop remains to be seen. Once news on their SED-killer plasmas becomes more widespread, i imagine retailers will have to lower prices on their current sets just to sell any. Panasonic's currenty rolling out their new line of plasmas, but even their last gen. 50" 60u model still costs around $1650 at the cheapest, so a Pioneer to be as low as $1500 is doubtful. Pioneer's definitely going to price themselves upmarket, especially with their next generation, so buying a 5070 at this point in time probably isn't a bad idea as they may not have another <$3000 plasma for a while. As far as release date goes, Pioneer's looking to get their new line-up out this summer. They've typically been a Fall release company like Sony, but with Panasonic releasing a bunch of 1080p consumer models this summer, they would like to grab some of that market share.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Taco Avenger posted:

Alright, let me put it this way then. If you had $4,000 to spend on a TV, what would you spend it on?

Pioneer 5070 or 6070 depending on viewing distance. Spend extra on some sort of nice accessory. I don't think the Pioneer Elite models are worth the 50% price increase. No other display can match the Pioneers. Might be worth looking at the new Samsung LCDs, though. I've never liked LCDs, but from what i've read they're some of the most plasma-like non-plasma displays available.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Bozart posted:

Well, in my case, my roommate. He occasionally falls asleep with the tv on.

Hit the sleep button if you start feeling tired? I fall asleep with my plasma on all the time and there's never a problem, even with long hours of static images. The slight worry about tiny amounts of temporary image retention is a small price to pay for viewing angles and blacks that are unmatched by any other technology. I've abused the hell out of my plasma and my next TV will also be a plasma. I've done just about every no-no out there just to see how my plasma handles it, but it hasn't missed a step. Left it on for literally 30 days straight, paused content for a whole day, fell asleep and left the Windows MCE screen up for 10 hours, etc. The worst retention i had was after watching the World Cup for a whole day. The way ESPN has their scoreboard set-up was pretty much the worst thing a plasma could have - lots of solid black with completely white numbering and words. That said, any trace of it was gone within 20-30 minutes of watching different content. And even for that 20-30 minutes it was only visible on completely solid light content.

Jaketeck posted:

I was thinking of going with the 46" but now that I have the 40" in my living room I can really see how big it is. It seems Huge!

Haha, you will now experience the mystery of the shrinking TV. I thought my 42" set was massive, but with each passing day some sort of gnome comes and steals some of the viewing area. The only way i found to fix this was to go on vacation and put up with a 27" CRT for a week or so. :iiam:

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

King Hotpants posted:

If that's true it would be the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard.

None of the first gen. 1080p sets could accept a 1080p signal. Only recently have TV manufacturers made it possible for 1080p signals to be received. Had to do with earlier versions of HDMI hardware and cost-savings.

m3jsh posted:

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I think what he's trying to say is that LCDs can't be natively 1080i. They can accept 1080i just fine and then convert it to their native resolution. LCDs certainly aren't all 720p, not sure why the gently caress anyone would think that.

Make sure you know what you're talking about before posting advice as to not mislead anyone.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:worship: indeed, thank you. I'll take a look at all of those. Your input is extremely useful. The TH50PX600U looks awesome. As far as I can tell Charter does indeed offer CableCard.

The 600u is last year's model and you should look at the 75u or 77u, though i don't think the 77u is out quite yet. Don't buy an extended warranty. If your TV doesn't break during the manufacturer's warranty, then the chances of it suddenly breaking after that are incredibly miniscule.

Looks like Panasonic's new models are up on their site. Holy poo poo, they're so gorgeous. Their MSRP on the 42" has dropped almost $1000 since it was introduced a year ago. :hellyeah:

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

riddance posted:

I live in California, the fireplace will get minimal use (More of a chixdigit type thing anyways)

Make sure you're alright tilting your head that up high for hours on end. Personally it would drive me crazy having to tilt my neck so much to watch TV. You could easily fit a 50" up there. Look at the new Panasonic plasmas and Pioneers. Sleek black plasma + fireplace = :sonia:

jegHegy posted:

I'd still be careful about the heat, although I do admit I never had a fireplace myself so I have no idea how much heat actually gets out to up there. Maybe it'll just melt right onto your floor! Or maybe I need to sleep.

Assuming the mantel doesn't burst in to flames then i don't think he'll have a problem. The recommended plasma operating temperature range goes from around 32 degrees to 104 degrees. I really, really doubt that fireplace would heat the TV to anywhere near 104+ degrees.

Edit:

ShaneB posted:

I did something stupid.... I ordered a DVI->HDMI adapter, and THEN an DVI-HDMI cable instead of the regular old HDMI cable I wanted.... sigh. Now I have a totally useless adapter, as I doubt I'll ever have two HTPCs running at once to two different HD sets.

They're supposedly really good with returns. If it's worth the hassle to you then just call them and send it back. I'd much rather have a DVI->HDMI cable than an adapter. I suppose you just wanted the option of using a plain HDMI cable if the need ever arose? You can never have too many cables anyway, though. Keep everything you have and buy some more.

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 2, 2007

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Also, how important is the ~100 hour break-in period on plasmas? I was planning on running one of the color spectrum type DVDs as much as possible for a week or so.

Not important at all. As long as you're watching content that varies the picture then you're fine. When i got my plasma i just left DiscoveryHD on while i wasn't home for the first couple of weeks.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Heheh, yes, I came to the "loving nuts" conclusion after reading avsforum for five minutes. The only reason I was actually concerned was because my sister had planned some sort of mini-series marathon with friends, involving 16 one-hour episodes right off the bat. I told her that's not a good idea so she is delaying.

Unless the series is in 2.35:1 or something then i don't see a problem.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

WhyteRyce posted:

2) Plasmas suck a shitload of power. More than CRTs.

No. Their power rating is the screen at full power displaying a completely white picture. A plasma never uses as much power as the specs say. My power bill's been lower ever since i replaced my LCD with a plasma, and i leave the plasma on a lot more.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Misanthrope posted:

I wasn't planning on plugging my plasma straight into the wall, but do I really need to buy a power bar worth hundreds of dollars? Can I just get one with a decent surge protector or what do you guys recommend?

I just plug mine into a basic surge protector. The only time i would recommend some sort of UPS/backup battery is for TVs that have bulbs. If the power suddenly goes out and the fans don't cool the bulb down properly, then the bulb's life can supposedly be shortened. Power outages aren't rare and TV companies know this. They wouldn't design a set that suddenly breaks whenever some power anomaly occurs.

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 5, 2007

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

particle9 posted:

Hey just posting a quick update. I'll add pictures and a more in depth review later. I purchased the Samsung LNT-4053HX this week. After using it for a few days I have somethings I can say about it.

I'm curious to hear more about these new Samsung LCDs. I've always been a big fan of plasma and 720p, however this summer i'm planning on picking up a 50"-52" set and at my viewing distance of 6' i'd definitely be seeing screen door on a 720p set that large. Panasonic's TH-50pz700u interests me, however 1080p plasmas don't have the black levels of 720p plasmas and that would be a step backwards from my plasma now(which still doesn't have black enough blacks to make me completely happy). Of course i can't even begin to imagine an LCD having the black levels of my Panasonic plasma, but if they've somehow managed to do it, then they might just make an LCD believer out of me yet. The new Pioneers coming out also interest me, and i'm afraid they might just live up to all the hype, which unfortunately means i might be paying far more for a new set than i ever intended.

Edit: Looking at specs i see that your model has an 8000:1 contrast ratio and the LN-T5265F i was looking at has 15,000:1. Wonder if that difference is in the dark blacks or light whites. Might be time to read on AVS. :suicide:

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 7, 2007

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

particle9 posted:

The contrast is so high on that one for two reason. One is that they just use a better panel and two because they are using glossy finish on it (like glossy macbook screens). This makes the panels look great and also reflect a lot of light. Like a lot a lot.

Yeah, that's what i've been reading. I want my TV screen to be as glossy as possible, so that works out great. That's one thing i love about plasmas, they're just a giant pane of glass. For some reason i find a nice shiny screen to make the picture feel so much more alive and real, like looking through a window. I should also note that my apartment is pretty much a batcave. If i had big french doors behind my steating position then i'd definitely not enjoy glossy screens as much. Supposedly Samsung also has an 81 line of LCDs coming out that use LED backlighting and all sorts of other neat things. I can't imagine how ridiculously expensive they'll be, but should be exciting to see how they perform.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

FitzyG posted:

really.. ?? every tv salesperson I work with thinks lg > panasonic. But I dunno.. maybe our environment just sucks. I think the panasonics have bad contrast and tend to oversaturate alot of colors.

No. That's ridiculous. Pioneer > Panasonic > everything else.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Willzilla posted:

Is Samsung inflating their contrast ratio when I see sets at 3000:1 and 4000:1 and most other brands only a bit above 1000:1?

Probably not. Samsung and Sony make the best LCDs, so having specs higher than others is normal.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

deadhoarse posted:

It's a decent choice, but it only has 1 component input. That's fine if you don't have more than a cable box and a DVD player, but anything more and you'll be wishing you had another component input.

It has 2. And 2 HDMIs. That should take care of most peoples' needs. You can always pick up an HDMI switcher from monoprice. The 75u series is getting pretty good reviews. I have the 60u which is fairly similar to the 75u, and it's nice. You should get a 50" if at all possible, though.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Orgophlax posted:

So I hate to do this, but I really don't want to spend a large amount of money and get burned, so I'm hoping someone can suggest something appropriate.

Basically as I mentioned previously, the HDTV would be used primarily for gaming (360 and hoping eventually a Wii). I actually don't really like large TV's so something around 32" is fine. I'd also prefer a CRT as not having true black really annoys me for some reason, but it's not a requirement. And (this will probably rule everything out) my budget would be under $1000.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I found this: http://tinyurl.com/25hkaq. Seems to have pretty good reviews. Any thoughts?

If decent black level performance is a requirement, then a budget LCD is exactly what you don't want. You want a Sony KD-34XBR970. Of course it's a mammoth of a TV and i think anyone who wants a 190lb. TV for a measily 34" is loving insane. You can get 42" panasonic plasmas in that price range. They won't have CRT blacks, but they'll still put every LCD to shame. No one doesn't like large TVs. I don't believe you for a second. :psylon:

Edit: Question of my own. Has anyone here owned both a Sony SXRD set and a plasma? I can't stand rear projection sets, but the thought of a 60" TV keeps drawing me back to the Sony KDS-60A2020. I'm trying to decide if a 50" plasma or 60" RPTV should be my next purchase. With the A2020 i'd be giving up sleek form factor and that wonderful plasma picture, but then i'd also be getting a huge set with 1080p and a still-decent picture. Unfortunetly i can't get a 60" plasma because at my short viewing distance 720p would look horrible. I suppose i'll run by Best Buy and Circuit City today to see how the silk screen effect is on the A2020. If it's as bad as the XBR1 i looked at a year ago, then plasma will be a no-brainer.

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 15, 2007

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

SkaWes posted:

I have never experianced burn in first hand, I have just been told by other people. I heard the problem really occurs in video games because they have lots of static images like HUD displays and health meters.

Is the picture fading faster than sets that use different technologies still a problem?

No. No. No. Burn-in isn't a concern at all and i won't address it since i seem to make a similar post every couple of days about how much abuse i give my plasma.

Fading faster? In 16 years my plasma will only be at half brightness, simply turning up the brightness will put it back where it is today. That's far better than CRTs ever were in their prime, obviously better than every bulb-based set, and better than LCDs which, according to specs, only have a bulb rated for ~60,000 hours. Plasmas aren't perfect, but the ridiculous myths surrounding them are just absurd. You have to remember that plasma sets have had a short, but quickly evolving product cycle. While there may have been some rough issues in the first gen sets, those are long fixed. No one would compare a TI-83 display to a modern 1080p LCD, so don't believe everything you hear about plasmas from your friends' friends. Atleast i don't still hear people saying things about the gas needing to be refilled and other such nonsense.

I went to Best Buy and Circuit City today to look at the SXRDs, and they looked terrible, though still better than every DLP/RPLCD. The picture was decent on the A2020 series, however the viewing angle was non-existant. Just tilting my head up a few degrees would change the picture from perfect to horribly dark and cloudy. I decided that i couldn't live with a TV where just moving from one side of the couch to the other would change the picture completely. The 75u Panasonics looked nice, though, but i decided my 42" Panasonic could last me atleast until the new Pioneers and 1080p Panasonics come out. My lust for a bigger set increases every day.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

pickitup13 posted:

So are you actually reccomending that Westinghouse? The thing is that I'll be viewing this 37" HDTV from a distance of four feet in some cases (when I move back home), so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell the difference between 720p and the 1080p. Again, I won't have much over a grand to spend on this TV, so would you recommend that westinghouse over other 37" LCD's in that price range?

Westinghouses are fine if you can ignore the lack of decent black levels. I have a friend with a Westinghouse of some sort and watching it is just about the most painful thing in the world. The "blacks" are just a horrible bright glowing gray. Stop by an electronics store of some sort and view a couple of LCDs from your viewing distance. Personally i find contrast ratio and black levels far more important to the overall picture than resolution, so it might turn out that a nice 720p set would better suit your needs.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

maverick99 posted:

What is the common resolution for plasmas? Do they support 720p/1080i?Just curious because I never see any info on sites such as amazon about it, but I do for the LCDs.

1024x768, 1366x768, and 1920x1080. Most will accept every typical resolution out there - 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p.

Cart posted:

Laptop's set at 1400x1050, but it seems to re-adjust when the TV is enabled as the primary monitor. It's a fairly new (1 yr old) Dell Inspiron 600m for reference.

Does it have DVI out? That would give you a far better, simpler picture.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

DhaliClone posted:

I heard plasmas have burn-in, but I know they've been improving that. But, $2200 is already steep for me, $2500 is just too much.

Well $2500 is the MSRP. The actual selling price will be <$2000. You should get the 1080p plasma. I'd also read about Sharp's banding issues before buying one.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a 37" Olevia w/o HD tuner. I'm still kind of sketchy on the whole idea, but what exactly does it mean when a TV doesn't have an DH Tuner? Do I need to purchase one even though I have Comcast digital cable? I think I might have to upgrade to an HD cable box. Also, would I need a tuner to use with my xbox 360?

Just means you can't plug an antenna in and receive over-the-air HD. You will need an HD cable box, but the lack of a tuner doesn't effect you in any way as the cable box itself is a tuner and simply outputs a signal to the TV just like a DVD player or game console.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dogthree posted:

I'm considering getting this PDP-4270HD Pioneer Plasma TV:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-PDP-4270HD-PureVision-Plasma-HDTV/dp/B000G81EYW

I know Pioneer is a good brand, but I can't find many customer reviews that talk about gaming on this tv. I plan on hooking my 360 up to it and just don't want buy it and then find out it has issues with burn in. The other TV I was considering was the 42" Sharp Aquos LCD but I already have one LCD and was interested in a plasma for the my family room.

Anybody have any advice?

Wait a couple weeks for Pioneer to release some information on their new models. It will be worth it.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ironlung posted:

Am I blind or something... because my roommate's Vizio 37'' LCD has a contrast ratio of only 800:1 and looks fantastic. Nothing is washed out or anything like that, video games and HD programming look flawless.

Blind, haven't seen a good TV to compare it to, never watch any content with blacks or shadows, watch in blindingly bright room. Something like that.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Mr.Cool I.C.E. posted:

well its a square room and from the couch and the tv the distance will be 15 or so feet

Well at that distance you'd be fine with a 120" screen. Look at the 60" Sony SXRDs. 70" if you think the extra money and features are worth it. How much are you looking to spend? You should get a decent 50" plasma and a front projector for the best of both worlds.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

SkaWes posted:

i have seen some hate for Sony in here, but I was at my cousins house last night and he had one of the SXRD's and WOW it looked pretty loving good. I don't remember what size it was, but I know it [NOTE: I AM TOO STUPID TO SPELL THE WORD "DEFINITELY" CORRECTLY] wasn't the largest size they make for that model. However the picture looked pretty loving excellent, anyone else have any experience with these?

They're by far the best rear projection set, but that's still like having the best form of cancer. If the lack of viewing angle, depth, shimmering screen, etc. doesn't bother you, then they're good sets from a price/image size standpoint.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Moo Moo Bells posted:

What do you mean by shimmering screen?

Well with plasmas it's pretty much you->picture. With rear projection sets it's you->screen material->picture. The screen material itself completely ruins the viewing for me. Especially on light content, it shows up as just a shimmery, sparking sheen.

And tell your dad to get a Panasonic plasma. His reason is probably stupid, and he was clearly incorrect in his first TV purchase. If he doesn't want to make that mistake again, then just have him get a nice 50" Panasonic plasma for around $2k. Grab some reviews from https://www.cnet.com . They've reviewed the 75u and 77u series and liked them both. He can also get the soon-to-be-discontinued Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" plasma for around the same price as the Panasonics. Plasmas' side viewing angle is absolutely unmatched, and they all have coatings on the screen to help with reflections.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

coronaball posted:

Yes it's last year's model, yes it's not 1080p, but I just bought a house with a much bigger living room and my 42 inch HP plasma is seeming too small. The way the high-end 1080p plasma and lcd prices are running, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford one anytime soon.

This is a toughie.

Get it. Worst case scenario you can just sell it to someone in your area and make a couple bucks. Also keep in mind that Panasonic's new TH-50pz700u 1080p plasma should street in the mid-$2000s. Compared to Pioneers $8k+ 50" 1080p set last year that's a hell of a price. The more this 1080p plasma vs. LCD competition continues, the more ridiculously low prices we're going to be seeing. I would be shocked if nice 50" 1080p plasmas and LCDs couldn't be had for <$1500 a year from now.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

nonick posted:

Is it normal that the upper corners of my new Philips 42pf7641, when the image is totally black, are a bit more gray than black?

LCD? Sometimes LCDs can have uneven backlighting since they are technically rear projection sets. Most high end LCDs have gotten better with this, but even expensive Sonys and Samsungs occasionally suffer from uneven lighting. You could try exchanging it for another, but it will probably be there as well. Learning to ignore it might be your best bet.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

SkaWes posted:

Can you expand on the shimmering screen? I didn't notice this on my cousins TV, but I wasn't exactly there for an extended amount of time. Also what is the viewing angle on these sets? I was looking at it straight on and didn't thing to see how it looked at an angle.

Not much more to expand on. Just go to a store and look at the rear projection sets and compare them to plasmas and LCDs. The shimmering's especially noticeable with a lit room and light content displayed on the screen. The viewing angle is miniscule. Just moving my head up or down 10" changes the picture from overly-bright to incredibly dim. It's ridiculous.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

pickitup13 posted:

So, then how do you respond to the thread with someone who has burn in after playing for a few hours? It is a budget brand plasma that he has, but it's not like its a 6 year old plasma or something like that.

Well that's not burn-in, that's just temporary image retention that will clear up within a couple minutes of viewing other content. And budget plasmas just use old generation glass and technology, so it's not that surprising. Any name brand plasma will be just fine.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

SkaWes posted:

The price of the TV wasn't to bad, it was the price of the stands and the extended warranty that really jacked it up. I think I will wait until a new model comes out and they mark these models down.

Grab a <$100 stand from Ikea, Target, etc. Extended warranties are a waste of money.

Edit: And the Sony SXRD sets are by far the best RPTVs. Considering Sony's really the only large-scale maker of LCoS panels, i'm not sure why anyone would think they're rebranding sets made by someone else.

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 23, 2007

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

nme posted:

Hey guys. You all seem to do a drat good job of helping people pick tv's so i figured you could mabye help me out

Current TV: 36in old junky bubbly standard tube TV that almost displays two pictures at once because its so broken

Room and viewing distance: Bedroom with about 7-9 feet of distance between our eyes and the TV

Size preference: between 42" and 50" (room might be a bit small for the TV but we both like oversized TV's)

Price: $500-$1000 the closer to the $500 mark the better.

Use: Xbox360 gaming, DVD watching (will hopefully move to hd-dvd when prices become reasonable), HDTV Sattelite TV and standard TV

Bulkyness: I dont really care about the depth and bulk of the TV Im not looking for some ultra slim wall mounted tv or anything, picture quality is whats important.

If there are any other questions I can give you guys to help you help me please let me know and I greatly appreciate it in advance.

Buy.com has a Vizio 42" plasma on sale for $750. You're not going to find many sets meeting your size and price goals. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204451972 . Old mediocre Samsung DLP? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2512354&Sku=S223-4618

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

MasterOSkillio posted:

I was thinking about getting a Sharp LC-52D62U or a Sony KDL-46XBR2. Does anyone know if they still have problems with banding/cloudy screens?

People on AVS seem to follow those pretty closely. Last i checked there were still some issues. Take a look at the new Samsungs, though, they seem to be cloud-free and look great.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

pickitup13 posted:

For the record, its a mitsubishi plasma that's probably 3 years old.

:ms:
Any Panasonic from the last year or two will handle glare far better. The new TH-XXpx77u series was made for the sole purpose of competing with LCDs in bright rooms. Cnet has a review of the 77u up and it seems to be a really good set. They should be coming out within the next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

pickitup13 posted:

Also, how is the response rate on this thing? Have you used game mode at all? The LG mentioned above has a 5ms response rate, but the samsung only has an 8ms response rate. However, it does have a game mode that supposedly speeds up the processing speed/response rate, but I don't know if that's a bunch of BS or not.

Two different things there. The response time has to do with the quickness in which a pixel can change color. The lower the number the less motion blur. This number is what it is and there's no way for the TV to change this. Lag, like what you're talking about, has absolutely nothing to do with the response time. It has to do with the efficiency of the TV's processor at converting and deinterlacing non-native resolutions to the TV's resolution. Game mode usually just cuts out some of the processing. Keep in mind this only has to do with non-HD game systems, and even then mainly with interlaced signals as that requires another step in the process. The only current system that might be a problem is the Wii, but i assume if you run that at 480p then it will work just fine. Just do a quick search in some of the AVS threads and see if there was any problem with lag.

• Locked thread