Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero Jesus
Oct 26, 2004

Same thing we always do, fight 'em until we can't

caiman posted:

The Pioneer PRO-FHD1 50" plasma is looking real nice. It's just way out of my price range at this point. It needs to drop about 2 grand before I'd be able to consider it. That's why I'm considering waiting it out for about a year. I'm a patient person.

FYI Pioneer has a deal running now that if you buy that one you get a free 50 inch 720p Pioneer plasma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Jesus
Oct 26, 2004

ScootsMagoo posted:

Has anybody heard anything new about laser? I remember hearing last year about laser TVs coming out sometime this year and they sounded promising. Apparently, it's a flat-panel unit with CRT picture quality that's 30% less expensive to produce than an LCD.

Mitsubishi said last year they would have Laser based DLP sets coming to the market link. But they also said they would ship them at Christmas, which hasn't happened yet :(

You might be thinking of SED link. That's the one that supposed to be fantastic and blow your mind, however its also undergoing serious litigation, Canon (yes that Canon) says they'll have sets out in Japan sometime this year, but I'm holding my breath as they were supposed to ship for the 06 Holiday season.

Zero Jesus
Oct 26, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anybody know the difference between the Sony XBR2 40" LCD TV versus the XBR3 of the same variety? I don't see anything that justifies the $1000 price difference. Also if any good alternatives exist would also be appreciated. And of course if they're good TVs. Think that's all...

There should only be about a 300 dollar price difference. For one they have a different bezel (you can buy extra bezels for the XBR2 from sony for about 200 bucks) and it also has an 18 month warranty vs a 1 year warranty

Zero Jesus
Oct 26, 2004

It's not a bad set. You only have 1 hdmi and 2 component inputs so depending on what you want to hook up to it you have limited options. I'm always leary of buying CE from unknown retailers personally as there's little to no support if ifs a defective unit right out of the box, though for the price its worth the gamble.

Zero Jesus
Oct 26, 2004

For those that are looking for sub 1000 tv's Sony runs a factory refurb store on their website. Right now they have a 32inch LCD (KLV-32U100M) for 899. http://tinyurl.com/2vhyxy

There's no tuner, but it does have a VGA, HDMI and 2 Component inputs. Its not a bad budget tv at all.

• Locked thread