Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

IKillForPie posted:

I'm really struggling to find this one song/video I'm hoping someone here can help me. It's a music video from like mid-2000s.

The video is like a birthday video the band is singing to this girl who is just turning 18/21/legal age. The song is about all these guys coming over for the birthday party waiting for her to unwrap her gift. It's a funny video about turning of age and being able to drink and party with all these dudes and her friends.

I can't seem to find it specifically because anytime I start searching for birthday videos even if they're funny or spoof videos I get swamped down with the thousands of other actually bday vids. Thx

Anyone able to take a crack at this one for me? I'm trying to remember more details. There's definitely a music video and the video starts with the girl and her friend celebrating as people come over to visit. I seem to recall it being more related to the rock genre than rap or anything else. I promise the video is a funny vid and not some weird thing, I wish I could remember more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Heard a kind of slow/chill hip-hop song, really downbeat and slightly jazzy kind of backing, rapper was a little sing-songy and in a low voice, and the song was iirc about smoking weed and trying to hold on to the feeling, something like "I'm so hi-i-i-igh... if I could only feel this way, I'd..." Thoughts?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what song is this, i know it's a classical piece i've heard before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1vcaqAivY

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

d0s posted:

Not it, the song I'm thinking of is chiller but it's way more in the ballpark of what I'm thinking about than anything else posted so far. I left New York in 1991 so it had to be before that. I'm also wondering if it's maybe not some 70's disco-ish thing and I'm looking in the wrong decade. I know jack poo poo about that sort of music though, which makes searching way harder than with 80's music where I know what artists to obviously skip over when looking at "mega 80's hits playlist!!!" on youtube etc.

e: by in the ballpark I mean the chorus itself, the rest of the song isn't anything like it

...it's not Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner," is it?

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

what song is this, i know it's a classical piece i've heard before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1vcaqAivY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGMwNe9WWmE Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

...it's not Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner," is it?

It's the closest thing yet (unless you mean the acapella) but the 1990 date strikes me as off (I swear I heard it around 87-88) and what I remember didn't have a hip-hop beat but it's so goddamn close I want to say I'm just remembering wrong at this point because yeah that's really close. Maybe I heard the acapella earlier and the remix later and my brain just interpolated it into some nonexistent song. Unless someone knows of another 80's song that sounds a lot like Tom's Diner I'm gonna say that's it

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This is a bit of a long shot but worth a try. The video of this song was mostly set on a cardboard cutout city and the singer, who looked like he was in his 60s, was driving through it in a cardboard car with his head sticking out the top. I didn't really catch the lyrics but I think I head "Wonderful Town" a few times during the chorus.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Not so classical. Thanks!

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
https://soundcloud.com/featurecast/the-half-a-mill-chill-deal-mix?in=featurecast/sets/mixes

Can anyone tell me what this is between 20:28 and 22:20? One part of it is Pharcyde - Running Away and I'm trying to figure out the kinda sad and beautiful part it's being mixed over top of. I'm sure it's been used in a movie or something.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I've got this thing named cypobin_pen.mp3 lying around on my hard drive. Seems Russian, the title and tags look like they're Cyrillic letters mooshed into a Roman alphabet (I can distinguish the "Surovi" in the chanting towards the end), but for all of my searching I can't find anything on it from the web.

The artist/album/title tags are in their mangled shape Cypobin Pen/102.4 FM part 2/Anotek Aphony. Any ideas?

:cheers:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 27, 2016

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

I've got this thing named cypobin_pen.mp3 lying around on my hard drive. Seems Russian, the title and tags look like they're Cyrillic letters mooshed into a Roman alphabet (I can distinguish the "Surovi" in the chanting towards the end), but for all of my searching I can't find anything on it from the web.

The artist/album/title tags are in their mangled shape Cypobin Pen/102.4 FM part 2/Anotek Aphony. Any ideas?

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXqPuqAhtU. That it?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. This one has been bothering me for a while but I'm afraid I don't have a lot of info to go on.

The song in question is in the general metal family, more Clutch than Slayer. In fact, I was convinced it was by Clutch but can't find the frigging thing. The lyrics snippet that stuck in my head go something like:

Seven men who each have
(shouted) THE STRENGTH OF SEVEN MEN

The song is probably from the last 10 years or so. It's not Maiden's "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"... unless my brain stroked out and somehow mangled the song I've known for decades into something else entirely.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does anyone have the instrumental version of House of the Rising Sun that's played here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqwZlRkjuBQ&t=77s

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I've been desperately trying to find a song I listened to in the late 90's/early 2000s. I found it on Napster at the time. It was a trance/techno type song. I want to say it was Paul Oakenfold, but the tracks I'm finding aren't ringing any bells. I think the first words were "I believe". It was a long track, between 8 and 12 minutes. I wish I had more to go on.

If I had to recall some of the intro lyrics, it might have been something like "I believe... The world... Acid (Acid Acid Acid)"

There may have been some lyrics about "piecing together new thoughts and ideas" after that.

It's driving me insane. I wish I could remember more lyrics or the beat, or anything, but I can't.

Atarian fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 28, 2016

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I think I'm looking for a Frank Zappa song, I think I used to hear it on classic rock stations in the 90s. I don't think it had lyrics, but it had a mighty guitar riff and it was just all about this riff, kind of a road song or driving song. Extra special thanks from stoned 90s me.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

greazeball posted:

I think I'm looking for a Frank Zappa song, I think I used to hear it on classic rock stations in the 90s. I don't think it had lyrics, but it had a mighty guitar riff and it was just all about this riff, kind of a road song or driving song. Extra special thanks from stoned 90s me.

I'm not sure I can think of an FZ instrumental that's likely to have gotten much radio play in the nineties, even on classic rock stations, unless you happened to have an especially good station in your area. But "Apostrophe" comes to mind as a possibility (featuring the late great Jack Buce): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXP_pr7np-o.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am also doubting that it's a Zappa tune, but I'm stretching my brain to think of what instrumentals regularly got play in the classic rock format. The Edgar Winters Group's "Frankenstein" is obviously the #1 option there, I could see a progressive FM format playing Allman Brothers tunes like "Hot 'Lanta," or maybe Pink Floyd's "One of These Days" but not bog-standard classic rock stations. I'm just going to start throwing ideas around to see if something hits - also to include some tracks with vocals where you may forget there are vocals if you're incredibly stoned:

Jeff Beck - Beck's Bolero
Iron Butterfly - In-a-Gadda-da-Vida
Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold

...eh, I got nothin'.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

There's also Focus's "Hocus Pocus": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0F_XiR48Q.
It has no lyrics and a guitar riff that might stick with you. But I'd expect the yodeling would be memorable enough to find its way into any description you'd come up with years later, so it's probably not the culprit.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Hoping someone can help me, I was just in in southeast asia and there was a really popular club song that went on about tattoos. I've been back in NA for a few weeks and I haven't heard it since so I don't know if it's a recent song or what. It was kinda shouty and the chorus went like "BOOM *something* your tattoo, BOOM *something* your tattoo", and then a bit about 'her fingers walk your chest'. It's been driving me crazy and there are a ton of songs about tattoos so it's hard to google.

e: some more googling leads me to believe it's a remix of snapbacks and tattoos. Can't find the right one though.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 30, 2016

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost

greazeball posted:

The above poster who cited Apostrophe has picked out the most likely one; I would also offer this, which has the bass pounding the main riff the entire way through. "Mighty" doesn't come to mind, but maybe this fits the Zappa bill?

Willie the Pimp (has minimal lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKYGaEafv4g

"Black Napkins" is also a very unlikely moon shot (has no lyrics but probably 0% chance of being played)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkl1avYXRM

Now that I've put in some positive karma to the thread, here's a request.

I would describe the backing as math-rock. Crazy intense drumming with wild polyrhythms and such. Had a saxophone wailing over it for the first part of the song and it's all very dissonant; but then a minute or so in it locks into a slightly more consistent beat and the saxophone just POUNDS on a sequence of sustained notes. It's very scary and chaotic.
Supplementary details that may or may not apply; I think it might have been from an album in which the title of the album was the title of the song, and the songs were numbered [Title of Album] I, [Title of Album] II, [Title of Album] III, etc. Please help me!

Mushroom Zingdom fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 30, 2016

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Oh, and one more.

One time I was in a club and along a sequence of funky classics, like War's "The World is a Ghetto" and "Africa" by the Meters, I heard this song with a ridiculously cool bass line blasting through. Shazam revealed that it was "Monstrous Bubble Mix- A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble", which took me down a weird rabbit hole when I googled it. I gather that this was a project which sampled a bunch of different songs, confusing Shazam's algorithms. I eventually isolated that it was probably this:

Nautilus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BP1_1DpeBE

But, I'm still not certain. Can you think of any songs with a bassline like this one?

Edit: And one more. So sorry to spam the thread, but this is also bothering me now: An old jazz fusion song that I think was called "eastern wind" but youtube isn't pulling up anything conclusive. Has a very frenetic and fanciful sound. The only thing I'm certain of is that "wind" or "winds" was in the title.

vv I'll look them up and try! Can you think of a song in particular that would best embody this description?

Mushroom Zingdom fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 30, 2016

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Was it The Budos Band? It doesn't hit all your points but I can't imagine a club playing those deep cuts instead of a band from the last decade that takes points from those sources and makes it somewhat radio/night-out friendly.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 30, 2016

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I am also doubting that it's a Zappa tune, but I'm stretching my brain to think of what instrumentals regularly got play in the classic rock format. The Edgar Winters Group's "Frankenstein" is obviously the #1 option there, I could see a progressive FM format playing Allman Brothers tunes like "Hot 'Lanta," or maybe Pink Floyd's "One of These Days" but not bog-standard classic rock stations. I'm just going to start throwing ideas around to see if something hits - also to include some tracks with vocals where you may forget there are vocals if you're incredibly stoned:

Jeff Beck - Beck's Bolero
Iron Butterfly - In-a-Gadda-da-Vida
Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold

...eh, I got nothin'.

Incredible, you looked past the giant red herring (sorry about that) and got it first try! Thanks! And it's actually because I randomly ID'd Stranglehold last week that I was thinking about this one. Thanks to all of you for your guesses but this is just unreal. Cheers!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pilchenstein posted:

Anyway, I have one for the thread: the guitar part of Invisible Sun by the Prodigy totally reminds me of something.
I found this, it was Moby's cover of New Dawn Fades. They used it on Person of Interest last night.

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014
I'm looking for a song I remember hearing on the radio a few times between 2008-10. It had a female singer, with a rock/pop-punk sound.The only lyric I remember is "All I want to do is take off your shirt, All I want to eat is your dessert". I've looked for it a lot and can't find anything, so any help would be appreciated.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What is the Febreeze song that's been playing for the last couple years? You hear it in Wal-Mart a lot, and it sounds much more eerie than something you'd expect from a commercial for fabric softener. So I guess my question is twofold: one, what is the song; and two, why/how does the song musically have so much "tension"?

Here's an example of it playing in the background but I think the instrumentation is a little different here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlT8VcWz3LY&t=21s

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Here's more of the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0XBhaTDD5A&t=11s

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That song is likely something they bought out of a stock music database.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Jewel Repetition posted:

What is the Febreeze song that's been playing for the last couple years? You hear it in Wal-Mart a lot, and it sounds much more eerie than something you'd expect from a commercial for fabric softener. So I guess my question is twofold: one, what is the song; and two, why/how does the song musically have so much "tension"?

Here's an example of it playing in the background but I think the instrumentation is a little different here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlT8VcWz3LY&t=21s

Agreed on the stock music thing, either that or they just had some commercial composer whip something up. Not likely to be an actual song.

Re: tension, it's in a minor key and it's doing a chromatic down and up with three notes, sounded like D#, D, C# or something close to it. It's the inverse of the James Bond string part right before the steel guitar kicks in (and oddly enough a steel guitar kicks in on the Febreeze one right after the chromatic), so mentally you may be subconsciously equating it with spy movie music.

HMC
May 18, 2009

Alright, this has been bugging me lately. Sometime when I was in the eighth grade or so (~13 yrs ago) I was in a "theater" class in my school's auditorium, and one of my classmates used to play around on the piano while we waited for the teacher to show up. She was pretty good (or seemed to be when I was 13) and had clearly been made to take piano lessons. For some reason, this one piece she played a lot has stuck around in my head all these years later, but I've never heard it again in my life and I can't figure out what that song was. I've attempted to play a really basic (probably off-key) version of it on my phone's piano app

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0NmDjTZA4Y9

As I remember it, it was a lot faster and more complex than this (also about 20 seconds in I can't remember how it goes and I just futz it), but I have no real musical training, so this is my best attempt. I dunno if it's some famous classical piece, or etude, or what. Anyone have any ideas?

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Okay, this is a long shot based on what I can describe, but I've seen this thread score on longer shots.

I was in Taco Bell (don't say it!) earlier today and heard this thing I kinda liked played in the restaurant. Between ordering and talking to the person I was with, I couldn't pay close attention, but what I heard was instrumental, a sort of lightly Middle Eastern-flavored, lightly psychedelic-sounding thing. To me, it had a feel kinda sorta similar to Zeppelin's "Kashmir," the part that starts with Robert Plant singing "All I see turns to brown..." The sort of thing where you might say, "If you like Kashmir, you might also like this other song." Also, I should stress that I can't say for certain that there were no lyrics at all, as I could have missed them when my attention was elsewhere. Just saying I didn't hear any.

Any ideas? I'd like to listen to it when I can actually pay attention to it, and if it's representative of the band, maybe check out some other tracks.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Okay, this is a long shot based on what I can describe, but I've seen this thread score on longer shots.

I was in Taco Bell (don't say it!) earlier today and heard this thing I kinda liked played in the restaurant. Between ordering and talking to the person I was with, I couldn't pay close attention, but what I heard was instrumental, a sort of lightly Middle Eastern-flavored, lightly psychedelic-sounding thing. To me, it had a feel kinda sorta similar to Zeppelin's "Kashmir," the part that starts with Robert Plant singing "All I see turns to brown..." The sort of thing where you might say, "If you like Kashmir, you might also like this other song." Also, I should stress that I can't say for certain that there were no lyrics at all, as I could have missed them when my attention was elsewhere. Just saying I didn't hear any.

Any ideas? I'd like to listen to it when I can actually pay attention to it, and if it's representative of the band, maybe check out some other tracks.

From that same time period, you had the Velvet Underground (Venus in Furs), Rolling Stones (Paint it Black), and the Byrds (Eight Miles High), as well as the Beatles entire Indian-inspired period.

Also maybe check this page:

http://princessraqs.blogspot.com/2012/05/popular-western-songs-with-middle.html

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The last post has me wondering about a song I heard in the 90's that I haven't been able to find since. It is a Middle-Eastern sounding song, and at one point I'm pretty sure it was used in a trailer for Three Kings, which is set in Iraq. None of the Three Kings trailers on YouTube feature it at the moment, though.

It has a sharp stringed instrument line for two measures, I'm remembering it as a guitar but it's probably on an oud. Then it has a plucked sting thing with some bells in the background for another two measures.

I think I heard it in other places besides that trailer. It's a fast paced middle eastern song that a yankee heard more than once so I'm hoping that it was something yall would know. Thanks.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Abugadu posted:

From that same time period, you had the Velvet Underground (Venus in Furs), Rolling Stones (Paint it Black), and the Byrds (Eight Miles High), as well as the Beatles entire Indian-inspired period.

Also maybe check this page:

http://princessraqs.blogspot.com/2012/05/popular-western-songs-with-middle.html

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the songs you named, but there are a few at the page you linked to I don't know. So I'll check some of those out, just in case. For reasons I don't have the slightest clue about, I was assuming this thing was something fairly recent. The tempo was pretty close to "Kashmir," although the beat didn't have that "plodding" feel. The instrumentation seemed similar to the LZ song as well, especially the section I linked to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

probably unlikely since it was in TB but this is a current band that first popped into my head at your description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4i41cOv0s

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

probably unlikely since it was in TB but this is a current band that first popped into my head at your description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4i41cOv0s

Nice tune, actually, but, alas...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm looking for the remix of a song (I don't know the original either and can't find it with the only lyrics I remember). It's probably in the trap genre but that's not guaranteed.

It was a really intense song that never let up. The only lyrics I remember were along the lines of "Won't back down won't break won't (?)stop(?).

I've made a little vocaroo that I think is a good representation of how the song phrases it. The little dun dun dun thing at the end is much harsher than I make it sound.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Xn87wEOl43

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDcFryDXQ7U

So the trumpet part in the beginning is that sampled from another song? It sounds very familiar

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the songs you named, but there are a few at the page you linked to I don't know. So I'll check some of those out, just in case. For reasons I don't have the slightest clue about, I was assuming this thing was something fairly recent. The tempo was pretty close to "Kashmir," although the beat didn't have that "plodding" feel. The instrumentation seemed similar to the LZ song as well, especially the section I linked to.

It wasn't Kingdom Come's balatant rip-off, was it?

https://youtu.be/7w-atB68kpI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm trying to look up a PJ Harvey song. In the music video, she's singing on the back of a truck that's cruising through New York. It's melancholic and relatively chill compared to a lot of her stuff.

At least I think it's PJ Harvey. I haven't had any success tracking the video down and am starting to wonder if it's a different singer entirely.