Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's a spoken-word piece over a musical background, kind of like a more intense version of "It's Okay to Wear Sunscreen"

The narrator is telling a story about how he went on a date with an older woman, and she took him for a crazy ride up in the hills above the city in her sportscar, jumped on top of him, and then started giving him advice on living for the moment.

Any idea who this would be?

And while I'm here, does anyone know what band did the goth parody of "It's Okay to Wear Sunscreen"? With lines like "Memorize all the lyrics, even if they're in German / Especially if they're in German".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm trying to ID a spoken-word song I heard on the radio. It was played back-to-back with Michael Hall's "I Had a Girl in Dien Bien Phu", also a mixed spoken/sung piece (http://www.michaelhall.org/songlyrics.htm for sound clip).

The song I can't ID had a man describing how he went on a date with an older woman, how they drove up into the hills about LA in her expensive car. Then the women climbs all over him while explaining some sort of life advice about relaxing and living in the moment. It was spoken word piece, maybe some singing (or more melodic speaking) on the chorus where he repeats the woman's advice. Vaguely ethereal electronica-type backing, if I recall right.

The "Dien Bien Phu" song linked above somewhat resembles it in style, but it was a little less stylized in the speaking, music was a less trippy and more relaxed, etc. I looked over some other Michael Hall songs and didn't recognize it, so I'm not thinking it's the same artist on a different album, but perhaps someone in a similar genre.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 1, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Sweetwater Kill posted:

That would be Hey Pretty (Drive-By 2001 Mix) by Poe. The man reading is Mark Z. Danielewski (her brother), and he's reading an excerpt from his book House of Leaves.

Edit: Well, it could be, at any rate -- it's definitely the song Medium Bi is referring to.

Bingo! Ah, goonpower in action...

Thanks much to the both of y'all.

PS: is your username based of the Rasputina song, or is it an earlier reference?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Saw a show in Austin where the band covered a Carribean song, though I'm not sure if the original version would have been ska, calypso, dancehall or what.

The gist of the chorus was something about lemons, and how they can be "so sweet to some, and so sour to me", or something like that. Some kind of metaphorical song about poor treatment from a woman, etc.

It is definitely not the 1960s Folk Revival "lemon tree very pretty/ and the lemon flower sweet / but the fruit of the poor lemon / is impossible to eat." Vaguely similar concept, but more barbed humor and less lamenting, different melody, etc.

I realize this is pretty vague, but figured we must have some Caribbophile goons here.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Do we have enough [s]non[s]unAmerican goons here to cover some international music video questions?

1) I saw a video on NTV wherein the band was sining (in Russian) about the history of rock 'n' roll. The main footage was the Russian band performing, and then the screen would blink and the band would be outfitted and playing in the style of the Beatles, AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc. It was kind of like that Alien Ant Farm video about the movies, but Russian and about rock history.

2) There was a catchy video (the song itself was catchy, I should say) on ArabSat, which had a pale brunette Lebanese (?) girl singing, and mainly featured totally extraneous shots of her riding an exercise bicycle. Does that ring a bell at all, or is that just most videos on ArabSat?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

2)haha I am 90% sure it is this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e966wklzBfM

Edit: She's actually egyptian, but "EXERCISE BICYCLE" is always the first thing I think of when I hear that video.
Lots of arabsat videos are about as retarded though so I can't be sure

Bingo, you are indeed on it: "Ruby - Leh Bedary Keda". So روبي is Egyptian, not Lebanese?

I suppose I had this general bias to assume that hot girls on ArabSat are Lebanese, though I eventually found out that the girl who does that "Aiwa" song (EDIT: Darine) is actually Egyptian also. (Edit: though I never found Darine that attractive).

For those unfamiliar with Middle Eastern music videos, do go and check some out.

While I have AWESOME GHOST here, do you happen to recall what video this would be:

-Male Arabic singer, has this "Groundhog Day"-esque video where he wakes up, gets killed at some point in the morning, then wakes up again. He goes about his life up to the point where he was previously killed, avoids his untimely death, and then gets killed anyway five minutes further. So each time he wakes up, he gets a little further through the day, but still gets killed. Ring any bells?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 21, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Got one less-foreign one. There was a singer-songwriter being interviewed on KUT in Austin, who played a really minimalist, slightly peppy piece about how much better life is when you stop smoking weed. It was almost vaguely Dr Seuss-esque, very rapid interlaced patter, etc.

The tagline went something like "Life is pretty groovy when you stop doin' weed." It was a catchy song, Google has failed me, but I'd like to hear it again.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Heard a spoken word song on NPR, from the 1960s. It was vaguely patriotic music, with a father addressing his son about how he understood why kids would protest the government, and that he supported his son's independence, etc. but that if the son gets called up for the draft he should feel obligated to go.

It was interesting in that the father was really progressive on most issues mentioned in the piece, but insistent on the draft issue.

Ring a bell?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I heard a song on an Austin NPR show that was pretty slick. It was a male singer-songwriter playing guitar, and the gist of the song was something like:

Life is pretty groovy when you stop smoking weed

Just a song about the upsides of quitting pot, with the above being the tagline of each stanza.

EDIT: Dammit, rephrased the lyrics and found it with Google.

"Zippy" by Michael Smith

http://www.rhapsody.com/album/talesfromthetavernvolume1/zippy

quote:

Life gets pretty zippy
When you quit doing weed
Maine to Missippi
Things is picking up speed
New York to California
Don't say I didn't warn you
Atlantic to Pacific
Let me get specific
Life becomes a superhighway
And you know you dasn't linger
You do less than 90
Folks is passing
Flashing you the finger
Seems to me that
Things were movin' and groovin'
Now they're only movin'
Yes indeed
Life gets pretty zippy
When you quit doing weed

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 1, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I asked this last year, and I don't think it was ever resolved:

Goth parody of "It's Okay to Wear Sunscreen", same sort of spoken word over a techno track, but with lyrics like:

"Memorize all the lyrics, even if they're in German... [i]especially if they're in German."

"Never forgive an insult to your boots, or to your makeup."

I thought the title was "It's Okay to Wear Black", but Google isn't finding anything on it. Any clues?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I asked this last year, and I don't think it was ever resolved:

Goth parody of "It's Okay to Wear Sunscreen", same sort of spoken word over a techno track, but with lyrics like:

"Memorize all the lyrics, even if they're in German... [i]especially if they're in German."

"Never forgive an insult to your boots, or to your makeup."

I thought the title was "It's Okay to Wear Black", but Google isn't finding anything on it. Any clues?

I think I have a lead. It might be "Free to Wear Black" by Node Out, however I'm not finding it anywhere comfortably accessible on the Internet, just a zillion "FREE MP3s" generic websites and such.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I once heard a techno/electronica version of Don't Put Your Daughter on the State, Mrs Worthington, a comedic song originally by Noel Coward.

The electronica version was really slow and dark, but catchy. Anyone have a clue?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

rakovsky maybe posted:

I've only heard this song like twice on the radio, but the gist of it was that the singer met a prostitute who might have been like 12 or something. She had a bunch of brothers and an abusive dad and the singer and her talk about killing him. I think the singer ends up having sex with her anyways, also.

I'm kind of curious to hear this song again. Anyone know it?

Please don't tell me you somehow made it through 1996-2001 or whatever without hearing Wrong Way multiple times per week.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Dammit, this should be really easy for this crowd, I just don't know about current popular music, and they lyrics are so generic as to give dozens of songs on Google.

It's a big hip-hop hit last year, and the chorus is constantly descending in a minor key. Goes something like:

"I'm a hustla with moooooney, gotta get my moooooney."

Vaguely soulful-dark sounding, slightly robotic effect on the voice.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
There were a bunch of tracks on YouTube by a kinda Tom Waits-ish guy, where the backing was mostly electronic noise, and the words were schizo ramblings, of which I mainly recall the word "Frankenstein" being used a lot. Stuff like "The Frankenstein hoarding stomps through the crepuscularity not disregarding..." Any idea how to find that musician's clips?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Heard parts of this in an early rap mashup on the radio. The song was in that really speak-y sort of rap I associate with the 80s, and the story was roughly: there was a guy who was short on cash, so he started robbing people and couldn't stop. Then he got caught by a cop who beat him, and the kid had a gun but knew he'd get years if he shot him, so he took of running, but then this female cop cut him off and he shot her.

Ring a bell?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Slightly different angle on the thread, but I'm trying to identify a specific dance move and (if any) what song it's specifically associated with. I'm reasonably sure it's not just a funny motion, but a specific novelty dance move. It's the one that involves shuffling/bouncing side to side with the elbows cocked and bobbing the head side to side, looks vaguely almost like some kind of Irish traditional thing.

I ask because it's in the background of the video for "Boombox" by Lonely Island, the dance the NYPD cop in the middle is doing right around 1:08 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvEYKRF5IA&t=1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Heard a kind of slow/chill hip-hop song, really downbeat and slightly jazzy kind of backing, rapper was a little sing-songy and in a low voice, and the song was iirc about smoking weed and trying to hold on to the feeling, something like "I'm so hi-i-i-igh... if I could only feel this way, I'd..." Thoughts?