Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

About 12-13 years ago I heard a techno song that sampled Piero Umiliani's "Mah Na Mah Na" quite heavily. Anyone know what it could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fighting Elegy posted:

I heard this great 80's pop tune on the radio the other day but have no idea what it called or who it's by. It could possibly be a german band as I was in germany when i heard this on the radio but the lyrics were in english. A female singer repeated the line "Forget me not" a bunch of times but i have searched every song with that title and couldn't find it. There was a simple drum beat and cool plastic sounding guitar riff and some synths. There was also a guitar solo. please help me as I can't get this great song out of my head.

If it's not "Forget Me Nots" by Patrice Rushen, it's probably a sample of it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Secks posted:

This song was on an industrial mix show about 10 years back. I taped it on cassette and I really like it but could never find the artist:

http://rapidshare.com/files/26422002/unknown.wav

Not sure of the song, but it sounds an awful lot like Meat Beat Manifesto.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Ok this song has been driving me nuts for weeks. For the past week or so I was especially frustrated because I forgot how the song went completely, and all I knew was there was a song I couldn't figure out what it was. Then tonight I suddenly remembered things.

its kind of a folky classic rock song, they play it on classic rock stations quite a bit. Male singer(s?).

lyrics-wise, I'm sure these are probably no where close to how it actually goes, but its what I remember in my head (the chorus):

"lady, what you want to do,
blah blah blah so in love with you,
blah blah leave for a moment if i choose"

Pure Prairie League - Amy?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nitz posted:

okay, there was a song on "Daria" back when i was in high school and I've been trying to figure out what it was. It was a rock band and the only lyrics i remember were "starin' down the barrel of a gun, son of a gun"

probably Beastie Boys - Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

deadking posted:

Whats the name of that Ska song that plays in the beginning of Shawn of the Dead? I've heard it other places before, and I think its a classic Ska song, but I can't find its name.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/soundtrack

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Venialblur posted:

it's Vince Clarke from Erasure and Depeche Mode. I dont' think it's sampled. He composed the song.

It's a slowed-down version of Yazoo's "Don't Go".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

sych0 posted:

Whats the sample in 2 Live Crew's Pop that Pussy?

Billy Stewart - "Summertime"

http://www.the-breaks.com/search.php?term=pop+that+pussy&type=7

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Karma Sutra posted:

I've had this one stuck in my head all day.

All I recall about this song is that it was pretty popular around late 90's/early 00's and the only line i remember from it is a chick singing "all around the world". It's a high energy dance song, and so far I know it's NOT ATC, or Oasis.

Longshot since it's 10 years earlier, but maybe Lisa Stansfield - All Around the World?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

EDIT: ^^ yeah

PastorPapegoja posted:

I'm looking for the name of the song in this, http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUPk2l6zC7M, youtube movie. :downsbravo: if you can help me.

It's some kind of mash-up or remix of Wolfmother's "Woman".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

since he mentions Joni Mitchell, i would guess Joni Mitchell - Help Me

the lyrics fit the song as well

Yes, that's what the guy is singing. Fun trivia fact: there's a South Park episode where Butters is singing this song to himself. I laughed my rear end off.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Graviton v2 posted:

Im looking for name/artist of this techno/gabba record that used a drop from the film "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".

"Im talking about form, im talking about content, im talking about intereltionships, im talking about god, the devil, hell, heaven, do you understand, finally!!!"

It was loving awesome and id love to find it.

Probably from about ... 8-12 years ago.

Hows that for a tricky one!

Greater Than One - "I Don't Need God" (Cuckoo's Nest sample at 3:24)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

BlazinLow305 posted:

I have had a song stuck in my head and it is driving me crazy and I only have a very vague recollection of it so I hope I will be able to explain it well enough.

It's a early to mid 90's alt/rock song that seems to remind me of something along the lines of the Violent Femmes.

It carries a lot of nostalgia and the only lyrics I can remember is something along the lines of "only happy when it rains" and something about "going outside"

I google searched the lyrics and only saw something by Garbage, and that isn't it.

Any ideas?

Jesus and Mary Chain - Happy When It Rains?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Thunderlips posted:

I've been trying to find the name of this song for years, and it's so hard because there are no lyrics. It's an electronic song, sort of "jock jams" style, and I think I remember it from the mid-80s.

Here's me attempting to hum a small sample:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

"Chase" by Giorgio Moroder, featured in the movie Midnight Express.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

fletcher posted:

FOUND IT!

Grandmaster Flash - The Message

What's the source for the electronica sample they play in that?

It's not a sample, it's a synthesizer.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Aegri Somnia posted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lBT0Ofh90G4

What's the name of the song in this trailer? (The Love, La-la-la-la-la-love song)

My first thought was it sounds like The Cardigans, and sure enough Nina Persson is on the soundtrack.

"Lullaby"
(Aviva's and Henrietta's Theme)
Written by Nathan Larson
Performed by Nina Persson and Nathan Larson

"Up on a Cloud"
Written by Nathan Larson
Performed by Nina Persson and Nathan Larson

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

pill for your ills posted:

So I've finally gotten around to editing these, so here goes...

I love the Disinformation interview with Genesis P-Orridge. It was what got me listening to Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV. However, the tracks used in the interview yet elude me. I've cut the samples and posted them on Sendspace (is there a better option, or is this good?).

Example 1.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/m2qeeo
Example 1.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/sn679i
Example 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/8x6vs1
Examples 3 and 4.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/wmnp3j
Example 4.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/qzlu9s
Example 5.1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/nymyuj
Example 5.2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/5fogc6

This has bugged me for years. Much obliged to anyone who can help me out.

#1 is Psychic TV - "Just Like Arcadia"

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sullen posted:

Heard this one on a commercial the other day and it has been irritating the hell out of me since: A chicks voice saying "Forever, Forever" or something like that, I didn't hear anymore since the commercial switches to several different songs over the course of it. It sounded like a pop song, probably 80s/90s. Commercial was some hair thing or something, sorry, that is really vague but it is all I've got.

edit: I've heard the song elsewhere, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't just for the commercial or anything.

Wild guess... Donna Lewis - "I Love You Always Forever"?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

KillerJunglist posted:

I heard this one on an ad for a show on the history channel about the 70's or Woodstock or the gay rights movement or... maybe all of the above.
Anyway it's a disco song and the only lyrics I could make out were (roughly):

I'm real (The I'm is held so it's like "aaaaAAAhm real")
when we
get home boy I'm gonna...

And that is seriously all I could make out. Sorry to have such scant info but it's been driving me nuts. I really like the tune and would like to include it in a disco mix that I am making.

The ad was on the History channel in Japan by the way... I don't know if they are or were running the same one in any English speaking countries.

Sylvester - "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)"?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lord Wroughtarm posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-mRjIG8_k

The music in the background of this clip from the Ascent of Man. It was aired in 1972 so it must be of that year or most likely several years earlier.

Pink Floyd - "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kinkify posted:

What's that slow song from the beginning/end of Platoon?

Barber's Adagio for Strings

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

EllisD posted:

There's this dance-pop song that keeps playing at my work. It comes off kind of theatrical. The only lyrics I can remember are when the guy belts out "Allllll myyyyy liiiife". Even if I guessed that was the song title, "All My Life" is probably the most common song title in existence. I have only heard the song on my employer's pre-selected music CD, so its not exactly a popular radio tune. The song must have come out in the 21st century, as these CDs only contain new music. I know its definitely of the pop/dance persuasion and nothing incredibly obscure, I just don't know the genre very well. I can't check what songs are on each CD as the player is locked up.

I actually like it, so help if you can. Sorry the details are so lovely. :(

It sounds like Electronic - "Getting Away With It", but that's from 1989. Maybe a cover version?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

hackpuppet posted:

Here's a ridiculous one that's been bothering me for a good while -- it's a piano piece actually, no vocals or other instruments.

I think it played during a drama film trailer that was otherwise silent, except for the piano tune. It's fairly simple and slow (and I know I've heard it more than one place so it can't be too obscure) and its defining characteristic, at least from the part I remember, is that there are three low piano notes repeating in the background while the main melody, which is higher pitched, plays over them. It's very soothing, but the fact that it has no lyrics and I can't recall where I heard it, means that I'm stuck on its name.

This is probably not enough to go on, but I really want to hear this one again. It was beautiful :(

Erik Satie - Gymnopedie #1?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SuperS posted:

need help in identifying an 80/90s rock track where the video is of a band playing inside a closet which eventually falls off a cliff? it has a mellow riff

The Cure - Close To Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hdytcAUjI

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Ok, this is going to sound very retarded, but I'm trying to figure out what Bjork song I heard where she goes something like "Ooh ah eee ahhhhuhuh" a bunch.

That is literally all I have, yes, terribly vague and completely unhelpful but it's worth a shot right?

Joga? One Day?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

U.S. MAPLESTORY posted:

Trying to remember the name of a song that would have been on rock radio in maybe 1994 with a bunch of spoken word parts that went something like "Anger... the [something] of a definition." The guy starts off whispering it and increases in volume over time (presumably because he's so angry). I think this was the chorus? There was a bunch of other music and words too but that was the really clutch part. Raphandz I know you know this if you're reading!! OK thanks yall.

Are you thinking of "Television: The Drug of Nation" by Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TAG BODY SPRAY posted:

Ok this is driving me crazy.

It's a song that was played in "Ghost's of Girlfriends Past", I believe it's the 80s.

It goes something like:

"I can tell by the looooooooooooook in your eeeeeeeyes"

I've googled it and I've come up with NOTHING. Some 504 boyz or some poo poo.

Is it a really aggressive song? There's a line like that in Ministry's "Stigmata".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ASHER ROTHS MANAGER posted:

it's reo speedwagon and also it's already been answered in the post directly above yours. :downs:

I am a retard.

Both good songs, though!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Trigger Hippie posted:

Heard this song in subway the other day, and I can't get it out of my head. I know it's from the 70's maybe early 80's for sure. Unfortunately all I caught the other day, and all I remember is the chorus at the end, which doesn't have any identifiable words except for bah, dah. The ending of the song has a male almost discoish chorus. I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping someone might recognize this.

The end of the song just has a male chorus and goes like this (probably not even spelling it right):

Bahdahdahdah
Dah dah dah dah

Bahdahdahdah
Dah dah dah dah

Bahdahdahdah
Dah dah dah dah
Dah dah dah

Could you hum it in an mp3 or something? "Bah" and "dah" doesn't tell us much.

The only thing I can think of America's "Horse With No Name" but I can't see how anyone would call that "discoish".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Named Ashamed posted:

I cannot for the life of me find the song in this video:

http://chirls.com/v/5naLVw4_0I8/131

People that I have asked recognize it, but don't know the name. Somebody offered "Something about a walk in the park..." but that didn't lead me anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9PP2vXEIjA

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Apparently, "fire water burn" by the bloodhound gang has been redone recently, and is enjoying air time on radio stations. I can't find any trace of a new version online though. Anyone hear this? Know who it is? Thanks!

It might help your search if you keep in mind that "Fire Water Burn" is basically a cover of "The Roof Is On Fire" by Rockmaster Scott.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Blue Caboose posted:

This has been driving me nuts since I heard it. Its the song in this trailer for a danish movie.

If anyone can identify it, I would be much obliged. Thanks.

The voice sounds a lot like Randall Lee of The Cannanes/Nice/Ashtray Boy. It also sounds a bit like Michael Gira (of Swans, but if it's him it would probably be a solo track).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

RocketDarkness posted:

My brother wants to hunt down a song, but we don't know the name of the song or band. All I can offer is the chorus, or at least what we think it's saying:

In my heeeeeeaaad, oooh ( xInfinity )

Yes, it's pretty much the most vague request ever. If anyone has any ideas, though, we'd certainly appreciate it.

The Cranberries - Zombie?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

HoldYourFire posted:

OK, I really got nothing on this one. It's a song with a kind of synth-strings sound. I swear I remember the guy from the Pet Shop Boys singing over the top of it, but I've listened to pretty much every one of their songs and didn't find it. It certainly isn't West End Girls, It's a Sin, Always on My Mind, Go West, or that one with the vampire video. In fact, it may not be Pet Shop Boys at all.

The best I can give you is to use this lovely online keyboard, pick "strings" and play:

80 beats per minute
D1 - 1 beat
1 beat rest
B - 1 beat
1 beat rest
G - 1 beat
1 beat rest
D1 - 1 beat
1 beat rest
B - 0.25 beat
C1 - 0.25 beat
B - 0.25 beat
C1 - 0.25 beat
B - 0.25 beat
C1 - 0.25 beat
B - 0.25 beat
C1 - 0.25 beat
B - 1 beat

That's not the exact tune but it's as close as my lovely music skills will get you. Please help :(

It'd be better if you could record yourself playing it rather than make us muck around with this thing. I know my PSB pretty well, but trying to do that in the virtual keyboard doesn't sound like anything familiar.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Elohssa Gib posted:

I keep hearing this song at work and it's really bugging me cause I never can catch any of the lyrics except the sorta chorus, it's kinda latiny pop, and the part I can remember is the dude singing, "lat da dat dat dat da, la da da dat da dat da dadada"
I'm pretty sure it was mainstream in the mid 90s

Scatman John?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

19charactersorless. posted:

the song at 4:48 is friggan killing me. Any help? I can't pick up the japanese lyrics fast enough to do a google search.

"You Belong to Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=berL-80EPmg

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hairball posted:

I heard a really fast tempo funk song at a couple of nights ago and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I probably should though, I've heard it in so many different things before. It's purely instrumental, the saxophone and bass stood out the most if that's any help. Anyone got any ideas?

Average White Band - Pick Up the Pieces?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

KevinHeaven posted:

Could someone identify the song that plays during the intro of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GykbnvufIZE

Sounds like Ladysmith Black Mambazo or something; but I don't know much about African music.

As someone who saw Paul Simon on the Graceland tour ( :smug: ) I can assure you it's Ladysmith Black Mambazo. As for a song title, I've got no loving clue.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blast Fantasto posted:

This one has been killing me for years. It's a soft rock/yacht rock sounding song with a saxophone hook. I think the singer is an african american male and the lyrics might have something like "no more dancing" or something. Definitely from the 1980s or earlier.

I wish I had more, the saxophone part is the part everyone knows from the song.

Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen?

It doesn't have "no more dancing" but it does have "no more love on the run".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Calamity James posted:

http://soundcloud.com/funkyplusone/deep-space-radio-107-5-wgpr-detroit-super-mix-6-17-07-94-d

You can skip to about 10:00. It's an electronic song from a Detroit radio show in 1994. The repeated lyrics are, "No one in this world ever had a love as sweet as you ???. Nowhere in this world will there be a love as pure as my love."

The vocal is from The Carpenters - "Hurting Each Other"