Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!

Digital Drifter posted:

hdparm -S0 /dev/hda should disable the drive spin down feature

:doh: Awesome, thank you. ( -B255 disables the power management entirely )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?
Hi, I�m pretty new to Linux, and I am running the latest non-beta version of Ubuntu (Edgy, I think?). I am on a campus network and I have a couple of network drives that I need access to. I found instructions and used smbmount while logged in as root, but I cannot change the permissions on the folders to allow myself read/write access when logged into my account. Even when logged in as root, I cannot change the permissions. Is there any easy way to fix this? Im not afraid of using the terminal, but I am pretty new to this, so it would really help if any advice could be as simple as possible. Thanks!

CUMGUARD fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 4, 2007

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

CUMGUARD posted:

Hi, I�m pretty new to Linux, and I am running the latest non-beta version of Ubuntu (Edgy, I think?). I am on a campus network and I have a couple of network drives that I need access to. I found instructions and used smbmount while logged in as root, but I cannot change the permissions on the folders to allow myself read/write access when logged into my account. Even when logged in as root, I cannot change the permissions. Is there any easy way to fix this? Im not afraid of using the terminal, but I am pretty new to this, so it would really help if any advice could be as simple as possible. Thanks!

You can only set faux permissions when you mount with the following options coming into play: uid, gid, dmask, fmask. If you have a single user who needs to write to the share, find out his userid and add uid=nnn to your mount options (you're probably already passing some options via -o foo=bar)

These are documented in the smbmount manpage

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?

covener posted:

You can only set faux permissions when you mount with the following options coming into play: uid, gid, dmask, fmask. If you have a single user who needs to write to the share, find out his userid and add uid=nnn to your mount options (you're probably already passing some options via -o foo=bar)

These are documented in the smbmount manpage

Thank you very much

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

lilbean posted:

acpitool -t should do it.

I didn't have that installed, but it seems to work well. Actually, I can just use 'acpi -t' to do the same thing.

e: Actually, the latter gives much lower numbers. Weird. But I doubt my processor is really idling at 85 C, so I think I'll believe acpi.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Does anybody know of a good music player in Linux that supports WMA and/or M4A or, alternatively, can anybody help me get Amarok running? I'm running Gentoo.

I'm just looking for something easy to use that's better than XMMS. I looked at Audacious, but a) I can't find any info on it supporting WMA, and b) it looks to be a dirty, dirty GTK app, and I'm running KDE. If it's really the bee's knees, I'll go for it, but are there other options? Or, hell, some help with getting Amarok running (see link) would tickle me pink.

Ilya
Mar 11, 2007
Connoisseur of fine cats

Magicmat posted:

Does anybody know of a good music player in Linux that supports WMA and/or M4A or, alternatively, can anybody help me get Amarok running? I'm running Gentoo.

I'm just looking for something easy to use that's better than XMMS. I looked at Audacious, but a) I can't find any info on it supporting WMA, and b) it looks to be a dirty, dirty GTK app, and I'm running KDE. If it's really the bee's knees, I'll go for it, but are there other options? Or, hell, some help with getting Amarok running (see link) would tickle me pink.

Pretty much any Linux audio player supports WMA, as long as you have the right codecs installed. I don't know of a better KDE player than Amarok.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Can anyone help me do this, or even tell me if this is possible?

Every time I start my computer, I have to go through a series of commands in the terminal to get my networking reconfigured. What I have done is allowed myself to route the wireless signal from my laptop into my Xbox, so I would be able to get on Xbox live without buying any unnecessary peripherals. Here is what I have to type:

sudo -s
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
dpkg-reconfigure ipmasq
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

I wish to create a startup script to run these (as root) every time my system boots. That would eliminate the need for me to go through the circle-jerk of using the terminal every time I start my computer to get my internet working properly. How can I do this?

I am available as "mylesbouren04" on AIM if anyone would rather just talk to me. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me, they are ignoring me on ubuntu's IRC channel :(

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Twinxor posted:

I'll grant that a 16GB swap sounds pretty pointless, but what are you getting out of that 8GB? At this time, a program that expands to fill all that space seems either really esoteric (processing huge scientific datasets?) or just badly designed. And if you are running something that really uses all that much memory, you should make sure you have enough swap space for a worst-case scenario.

Well, there's also the slight problem that you run into the operating system limit of 2 GB for swap files. If you make a bigger swap file, it just won't use the rest.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
I'm booting uClinux on a development board (Altera DE2) and I'm having a hard time getting the board's LCD display to work with Linux. The device is being recognized as a char device and it appears as "250 LCD_PIO" in /proc/devices (250 being the major number and LCD_PIO being the device name in the driver source). However it doesn't appear in /dev, though there are many tty devices listed. How can I access this LCD display? Is it possible to bind it to one of the tty devices listed, or to find out which one it's already bound to? Any help is much appreciated :)

HammerOfHope fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 8, 2007

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

tehfox0r posted:

I wish to create a startup script to run these (as root) every time my system boots. That would eliminate the need for me to go through the circle-jerk of using the terminal every time I start my computer to get my internet working properly. How can I do this?

The simplest way is to put the commands in /etc/rc.local, or create another script that rc.local will execute. You might want to read about system startup while you're at it.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

b0lt posted:

Well, there's also the slight problem that you run into the operating system limit of 2 GB for swap files. If you make a bigger swap file, it just won't use the rest.

It's not a problem.... I could be wrong, but I don't think that 2gb limit per swap file/partition exists in the 2.6 kernels.... even if it does, you aren't limited to just one swap device... Actually you may see better performance by creating multiple smaller swap partitions/files on separate devices to stop spindle speed constraints on swapping....

hallik
Aug 15, 2003
hopefully this is the right thread. I am trying to search all files in a directory for a certain string within the files, tell me the file name and line they are on. This only gives me, (standard input): Line#:string

like this...
(standard input):178:var tzname= "US EASTERN";

This is what I am doing:
more * |grep -H -n 'tz'

obviously the -H is wrong. Help?

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

hallik posted:

hopefully this is the right thread. I am trying to search all files in a directory for a certain string within the files, tell me the file name and line they are on. This only gives me, (standard input): Line#:string

like this...

This is what I am doing:
more * |grep -H -n 'tz'

Like this:

code:
grep -HRn tz *
Your example doesn't work because 'more' is seeing the filenames, 'grep' isn't (grep is just seeing the output from 'more *')

EDIT: -R is for recursion within the directory, and can be removed if you just want the current directory and nothing below it.

muskrat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 9, 2007

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

hallik posted:

like this...

This is what I am doing:
more * |grep -H -n 'tz'

Only more sees the filenames. Reverse the order of the commands?

grep -H -n tz | more

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Don't know if this is a Linux/Ubuntu issue in general, or a Firefox issue. In XP, whenever I hit the backspace key, it was mapped to "Back" in the browser. Now, using Firefox in Edgy, whenever I hit backspace all it does is scroll the page back up. Is there a way to make the backspace key act as "Back" again? I poked around in about:config but didn't see anything.

Whoop, nevermind. Just found it in about:config. Changed the "browser.backspace_action" value to 0.

meatpath fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 9, 2007

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
On his Planet KDE blog, James Ots mentions If you're in the USA it might be illegal to download my file, so this file is only for people who live in free countries. Or at least semi-free countries, like the UK.

What? I don't understand this. Is he kidding? I know there are USA restrictions on exporting crypotography still, and also restrictions via DMCA, but I fail to see how either of these apply here. Any ideas?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
My Ubuntu Edgy box seems to have died today. I was gone for about five hours, and when I came back the monitor wouldn't come out of powersave, like it wasn't receiving a signal. Then I noticed the hard drive light was on steady, though I couldn't hear the drive. I thought my new CPU fan had died but it was still working. No response to ssh. Caps lock didn't toggle the light.

After a while, I turned it off. Now I get nothing when I turn it on - no beeps, no video, no hard drive access, pings time out. Next I'll try flashing the bios, then disassembling the machine down to motherboard+processor and see if I get beeps. But I have a few questions before that.

Any idea what it was doing or what broke (or what I broke)? I've never seen a machine this unresponsive.

What are the panic keys in Linux? Ctrl-alt-backspace, any others to try in this situation? I've had it lock up before, but always in the gui. It was folding at the time, also running gaim, an idle azureus, and shareclip, which hasn't caused any problems before.

Also, if anyone has an alternative to ShareClip, I'd love to hear about it. It works fine but it's a bit indy and unsupported.

Dec 4, 2004

Z-Bo posted:

On his Planet KDE blog, James Ots mentions If you're in the USA it might be illegal to download my file, so this file is only for people who live in free countries. Or at least semi-free countries, like the UK.

What? I don't understand this. Is he kidding? I know there are USA restrictions on exporting crypotography still, and also restrictions via DMCA, but I fail to see how either of these apply here. Any ideas?

I'm not sure specifically what he is referencing, but my guess would be software patents. Not that it makes it illegal however, but there are potential liabilities with it. My guess is he just doesn't know what he is talking about here.

Also the exporting encryption is pretty much moot now. The only real restrictions are to "terrorist supporting states" such as Cuba, Iran etc.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

6174 posted:

I'm not sure specifically what he is referencing, but my guess would be software patents. Not that it makes it illegal however, but there are potential liabilities with it. My guess is he just doesn't know what he is talking about here.

Also the exporting encryption is pretty much moot now. The only real restrictions are to "terrorist supporting states" such as Cuba, Iran etc.

You still have to fill out special forms before exporting encryption. It's not quite as moot as you think and it hinders U.S. developers.

e: http://www.bis.doc.gov/Encryption/PubAvailEncSourceCodeNofify.html

Z-Bo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 9, 2007

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Captain Cool posted:

My Ubuntu Edgy box seems to have died today. I was gone for about five hours, and when I came back the monitor wouldn't come out of powersave, like it wasn't receiving a signal. Then I noticed the hard drive light was on steady, though I couldn't hear the drive. I thought my new CPU fan had died but it was still working. No response to ssh. Caps lock didn't toggle the light.

After a while, I turned it off. Now I get nothing when I turn it on - no beeps, no video, no hard drive access, pings time out. Next I'll try flashing the bios, then disassembling the machine down to motherboard+processor and see if I get beeps. But I have a few questions before that.

Any idea what it was doing or what broke (or what I broke)? I've never seen a machine this unresponsive.

What are the panic keys in Linux? Ctrl-alt-backspace, any others to try in this situation? I've had it lock up before, but always in the gui. It was folding at the time, also running gaim, an idle azureus, and shareclip, which hasn't caused any problems before.

Also, if anyone has an alternative to ShareClip, I'd love to hear about it. It works fine but it's a bit indy and unsupported.

At exactly what point is your machine failing? You said "no beeps, no video" - I take that to mean that the BIOS isn't even doing it's power-on self test. If you're not even getting a POST or at least a POST beep, your problem has nothing to do with Linux and no panic keys in the world will help you. Incidentally, how are you planning to flash your BIOS if your machine does not show you the BIOS screen?

If this is the case, basically there are two possibilities: your power supply is dead, or your motherboard is dead. If your CPU, RAM, or video card were dead, your mobo would be beeping its head off. If anything else were dead, you'd definitely get a POST and probably boot to Linux in some capacity.

If you hear fans whirring and hard drives spinning up, it's probably your motherboard. If you hear nothing, it's probably your power supply.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Captain Cool posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Quick question--I am going to run the latest version of knoppix straight from the CD/DVD drive. Will I be able to run/install programs and use the bluetooth hardware on my laptop?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Smackbilly posted:

If you're not even getting a POST or at least a POST beep, your problem has nothing to do with Linux and no panic keys in the world will help you. Incidentally, how are you planning to flash your BIOS if your machine does not show you the BIOS screen?
The last time I saw the hard drive light was before I turned it off. I was looking for keys that might have helped there, for future reference.

Fans spin fine, but I can't tell if the hard drive is spinning. It's a mini-itx system, with soldered-in CPU, so I hope it's not the motherboard. I see what you're saying though.

"Flashing" was a bad word. I mean taking the battery out.
Thanks. I thought I read that was optional and not in Ubuntu. I'll have to dig out a keyboard with sysrq next time.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

SnatchRabbit posted:

Quick question--I am going to run the latest version of knoppix straight from the CD/DVD drive. Will I be able to run/install programs and use the bluetooth hardware on my laptop?

You can run programs included on the disc; if you want to install new software or save your preferences you can write to a partition on media like a HDD or USB drive.

This FAQ should help you out if you have additional questions:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_FAQ

If your bluetooth hardware is supported under Linux in general, it should work without issue under Knoppix.

Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 11, 2007

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

disclaimer: I know nothing about linux. :(

Tried an Ubuntu LiveCD I got earlier today, and it wouldn't boot. A similar problem happened with Kanotix when I tried it a few months ago. The Ubuntu CD did let me get a verbose log of what was happening, and it looked like it was trying to mount the CD-Rom as hdc and failing to read it, or something. I got a lot of DriveReady SeekComplete error opcode unknown garbage. If I can find a digital camera I could take a picture of the bootscreen if needed.

Anyone have a clue what to do? With experience like this with liveCDs, it isn't making me want to install anything..

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

thamaht posted:

disclaimer: I know nothing about linux. :(

Tried an Ubuntu LiveCD I got earlier today, and it wouldn't boot. A similar problem happened with Kanotix when I tried it a few months ago. The Ubuntu CD did let me get a verbose log of what was happening, and it looked like it was trying to mount the CD-Rom as hdc and failing to read it, or something. I got a lot of DriveReady SeekComplete error opcode unknown garbage. If I can find a digital camera I could take a picture of the bootscreen if needed.

Anyone have a clue what to do? With experience like this with liveCDs, it isn't making me want to install anything..

That sounds like you might be burning bad cdroms. See if you can open the files on another computer. I suppose it is possible for it to be able to access the first bit of boot information but encounter errors with stuff further on.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

thenameseli posted:

That sounds like you might be burning bad cdroms. See if you can open the files on another computer. I suppose it is possible for it to be able to access the first bit of boot information but encounter errors with stuff further on.
First one I burnt, second one I got from a technology fair thing at school, so I didn't even burn the second. I'm gonna try it on one of the other machines here and see what the deal is. (I don't think it's the drive, cause I have 2 and tried it with both..) Will report back, likely Friday.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Z-Bo posted:

It's a ClearType thing. Apple and Microsoft are the only ones who are allowed to use a certain type subpixel smoothing, due to software patents. So basically it's against the law to use a particular method of displaying fonts in the U.S. Makes perfect sense, eh? Of course not, like most software patents.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
For the live cd not booting. A lot of ones i've had this happend would boot if i put "ide=nodma" , hit enter without the quotes, then press enter to boot normally.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

Captain Cool posted:

Fans spin fine, but I can't tell if the hard drive is spinning. It's a mini-itx system, with soldered-in CPU, so I hope it's not the motherboard. I see what you're saying though.

"Flashing" was a bad word. I mean taking the battery out.

What you are doing when you take the battery out is resetting the CMOS. Most motherboards provide a jumper that you can set to do this instantaneously so that you don't have to wait for the battery to drain.

There is a chance that this will fix our problem if your issue is that there is a setting in the BIOS which is causing the BIOS not to be able to load properly.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

And then the ArchAngel descended from heaven.

Christobevii3 posted:

I am interested in learning more about linux. I know the basics of installing it, compiling, etc etc. Basically I can run a desktop for my needs. I'm wanting to learn enough that I could be a systems administrator for a small company in linux.

What I want to know is what I should do for training and which certifications I should get and how to get experience.

Thank you

Start with a RHCT. Wither or not you're going to be a redhat admin they're industry standard at the moment, and most of the alternatives don't have certs save for Suse.
Where I work is going all opensuse for internal use, but despite that they want me to get a red hat cert not a suse cert.

ndb
Aug 25, 2005

1. I'm using Eclipse in Kubuntu Edgy...apparently, by default neither the Java libraries nor Eclipse come with java.util.Scanner, which is kind of important for back compability in earlier projects I had to do for Computer Science I. While I can live without Scanner, it just might be nice to have.

What library do I need to download to get access to Scanner? Or should I try to remove and reinstall all the Java crap?

2. Also, what do I need to do to run KSysGaurd with administrator capability? Every time I try to run it from the command line using sudo or kdesu, I get an empty window with one lone frame that says "localhost" and that's it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a suggested limit for number of files in a directory? I'm approaching 15,000 in the uploads directory for a website and was curious if it was necessary to split them up to different folders.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bump for my question!

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

fletcher posted:

Bump for my question!

You haven't told us what filesystem, what kernel version, what partition type, etc...

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

thamaht posted:

Tried an Ubuntu LiveCD I got earlier today, and it wouldn't boot. [...] I got a lot of DriveReady SeekComplete error opcode unknown garbage.

IIRC recent versions of Ubuntu have a "Check this CD for defects" option when you first boot off them - try that maybe?

Indido
Dec 8, 2004

"Now you know what I drive"

Clock Explosion posted:

1. I'm using Eclipse in Kubuntu Edgy...apparently, by default neither the Java libraries nor Eclipse come with java.util.Scanner, which is kind of important for back compability in earlier projects I had to do for Computer Science I. While I can live without Scanner, it just might be nice to have.

What library do I need to download to get access to Scanner? Or should I try to remove and reinstall all the Java crap?

You likely have the GNU Java installed. Just reinstall Java from Sun, Automatix can do this automatically for you.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

ide=nodma fixed it. after that, replacing USB kb/mouse with old ps2 ones fixed no input. I'm still wondering why I can't switch resolutions without it logging out and logging back in (and not saving the resolution change), but eh.

I'm debating whether or not to install and try to fix it up, or wait for FeistyFawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

dfn_doe posted:

You haven't told us what filesystem, what kernel version, what partition type, etc...

fedora core 4
kernel: 2.6.9-023stab040.1-enterprise
filesystem: vzfs (virtuozza?)