Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

After reading the docs it's not so much setting up Zabbix that I'm worried about as setting up Apache (which I've done before, and it was a pain in the rear end -- but that was years and years ago, maybe it's better now?) and Postgres (which I have zero experience with apart from the general reputation database servers have of being scary to set up and administer).

I may try setting it up on my laptop while I'm on vacation and see how it goes, though.

It's probably gotten a lot better since the last time you tried. For a home network of 7 boxes, the package defaults for postgres and apache should work fine out of the box. Zabbix may even install an Apache vhost config for you (I forget) in which case there's literally nothing to do other than install the packages and start playing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Friendly reminder that for quick and dirty evals, Zabbix ships a virtual appliance in nine different formats:

http://www.zabbix.com/download.php

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

e: cool doublepost bro

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I got some good advice about getting started with KVM in this thread a few months ago.

I'm finally getting around to messing around with it for the first time. Is there a good web-based KVM management thingy that I can run on the KVM host which will allow me to view status and manage stuff?

I mean, Google tells me there's stuff like that, but I don't know enough to know what I don't know...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you want web-based KVM/QEMU stuff, Proxmox is awesome for that. Unlike some other virtualization packages, Proxmox was built from the ground up to be run via web interface, so there's not much if anything at all that you need to do outside of it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ok, I was just taking an assessment for a job, and one of the questions was a thing I had never run into before.

How to rm a file that starts with a -filename.

I went with rm ./-filename can someone confirm this for me? it just seems both obvious, and a weird edge case.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

RFC2324 posted:

Ok, I was just taking an assessment for a job, and one of the questions was a thing I had never run into before.

I went with rm ./-filename can someone confirm this for me? it just seems both obvious, and a weird edge case.

They were probably looking for the general form of signaling the end of options with -- as in rm -- -filename

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

covener posted:

They were probably looking for the general form of signaling the end of options with -- as in rm -- -filename

If so, their font broke visibility on that, since the closest appeared to be rm ---filename.

Ah well, just one question. Thanks!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I got some good advice about getting started with KVM in this thread a few months ago.

I'm finally getting around to messing around with it for the first time. Is there a good web-based KVM management thingy that I can run on the KVM host which will allow me to view status and manage stuff?

I mean, Google tells me there's stuff like that, but I don't know enough to know what I don't know...

I think oVirt is the Red Hat-built one...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

this answer is perfect, don't sweat it

(also not a weird edge case once shell scripts get into the mix)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

RFC2324 posted:

Delete by inode as well. find -inum --exec rm {} \;
However the standard gnu is rm -- -filename.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

comedy option: openstack horizon

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

comedy option: openstack horizon

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think oVirt is the Red Hat-built one...

It is, but VMs need to be migrated...

HPL posted:

If you want web-based KVM/QEMU stuff, Proxmox is awesome for that. Unlike some other virtualization packages, Proxmox was built from the ground up to be run via web interface, so there's not much if anything at all that you need to do outside of it.

Pretty much all of the big solutions were also built from the ground up to be run via a web interface. Ganeti, kimchi, xenorchestra, oVirt (requires migration).

The fact that Proxmox doesn't use libvirt (last I heard) is a negative, not a positive, since it means using other tools is almost impossible unless Proxmox support is explicitly added.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I really like Virt-Manager, it is simple and does what I need ( create, manage destroy VM, create disk etc. etc. )

If you have a Windows machine, install putty turn on X forwarding, install xming and you are good to go.

It does not run in the browser but X11 forwarding is really simple and works over regular SSH.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I really like Virt-Manager, it is simple and does what I need ( create, manage destroy VM, create disk etc. etc. )

If you have a Windows machine, install putty turn on X forwarding, install xming and you are good to go.

It does not run in the browser but X11 forwarding is really simple and works over regular SSH.

virt-manager can directly connect to remote hypervisors over ssh. It works best when using key authentication, but either way, you don't need to bother with X forwarding.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Kaluza-Klein posted:

virt-manager can directly connect to remote hypervisors over ssh. It works best when using key authentication, but either way, you don't need to bother with X forwarding.

Is there a Windows version? I thought that the viewer only works on Windows.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I ama moron and missed the bit about Windows in your post. Just ignore me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What is it with GDM and why is it being such a dick? When I log into a Gnome session via GDM, I have a Gnome Shell process or two going haywire from the get-go. If I use LightDM, this does not happen. If I upgrade the kernel and forget to recompile the NVIDIA kernel driver before rebooting, with GDM I end up having it try like two minutes to start X, like a million tries, whereas LDM gives up after five attempts. What the gently caress is wrong with the Gnome developers?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

putty and virsh :downs:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

What is it with GDM and why is it being such a dick? When I log into a Gnome session via GDM, I have a Gnome Shell process or two going haywire from the get-go. If I use LightDM, this does not happen. If I upgrade the kernel and forget to recompile the NVIDIA kernel driver before rebooting, with GDM I end up having it try like two minutes to start X, like a million tries, whereas LDM gives up after five attempts. What the gently caress is wrong with the Gnome developers?

gdm also gives up after five attempts? Not sure what's going wrong.

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gdm/tree/daemon/gdm-local-display-factory.c#n285

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's strange. I have my framebuffer flickering like a motherfucker, when it happens (like practically every kernel upgrade, with what following the RCs), preventing me to do anything. After like a minute or two it stops. Come to think of it, the default systemd time out is 1.5 minutes, so it's probably that causing the problems. Still, LightDM doesn't do that regardless.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Still a-learnin' about KVM...

Is my understanding correct that when viewing a guest console, the VNC (or Spice I guess, I haven't messed with that yet) server is actually provided by KVM rather than the guest OS? KVM does some magic to hook up its VNC server as the guests display adapter?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Is my understanding correct that when viewing a guest console, the VNC (or Spice I guess, I haven't messed with that yet) server is actually provided by KVM rather than the guest OS? KVM does some magic to hook up its VNC server as the guests display adapter?
Yeah, the VNC server is run my QEMU and shows the framebuffer of the emulated graphics card. The guest is unaware about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, the VNC server is run my QEMU and shows the framebuffer of the emulated graphics card. The guest is unaware about it.

Awesome, thanks. I think that means I can run an unpatched Windows XP guest with no network adapter and it should be safe then.

What's the relationship between qemu, kvm, libvirtd? What do they do? Why do we need them all? What's the meaning of life?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Quick question regarding the ping command. I am trying to set Nagios up to monitor if our WAN links are up. Simplest way seems to be to send a ping to an external service. I just need to specify the gateway for each of our WAN links. Will using
code:
ping <gateway1> 8.8.8.8 
do this?
Obviously this depends on the external service being up and responding.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Thermopyle posted:

What's the relationship between qemu, kvm, libvirtd? What do they do? Why do we need them all? What's the meaning of life?
qemu provides virtual hardware (motherboard, drive interfaces, etc)

kvm provides an accelerated driver for qemu. Nothing more (it can do more, but in practice, almost everyone just uses it for kvm).

libvirt provides easy primitives around networking, storage, etc. So you don't need to manually do a bunch of crap with qemu to use a VM on an iSCSI target or gluster or whatever.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Does KVM provide accelerated graphics? I used virt-manager to fire up a Mint VM and it complained that it was in software rendering mode. I tweaked the VM's settings to try and get it to use "hardware" rendering but never managed to, meaning either A) I screwed up a setting somewhere, or B) Mint isn't really compatible with KVM. I didn't spend too much time troubleshooting it because I was already using VirtualBox and it Just Works for me :unsmith:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's virtio-gpu since recently, but it works only with other Linux guests (maybe the BSDs). For Windows, someone needs to yet write a driver.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

What do I need to do to secure the VNC connection to a KVM machine when I'm planning on making that connection available over the internet?

Is the password that you set up when configuring the machine good enough?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I'd question what the use case is for this versus using something like NX, or authenticated VNC on the client itself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

evol262 posted:

I'd question what the use case is for this versus using something like NX, or authenticated VNC on the client itself.

It's a Windows XP 32-bit VM that we've got to run some old lovely software on for maybe 6 more months until we migrate to something new.

I don't really want to expose the guest to the internet because...well, it's Windows XP, so I was wondering if it was possible to make KVM's VNC connection secure.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
So I need to replace my PC (possibly the only half-respectable components are the GPU and RAM chips) and it will be pretty much a gaming PC. That means a "steam machine" (side question: is that just a glorified PC with Steam's logo? Because it sounds like a glorified PC with Steam's logo marketed at consoleers) if you will. I'd rather not have much to do with Windows. Before I get into the hardware side (I'm a fan of AMD, if this matters) I wanna know...is there a linux build that's easy to use and will run games as easily (after setting the OS up) as Windows in the install and play manner I've become accustomed to? I understand I'll have to Wine somethings (right?) and I have no issue if that's a relatively straight forward process.

I'm not afraid of learning a new OS, I'm afraid I'm going to have to 'hack in' half the games I play.

Oh, and does linux gag to either xbox one or ps4 controllers specifically or are they both about equal compatibility with linux?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thermopyle posted:

It's a Windows XP 32-bit VM that we've got to run some old lovely software on for maybe 6 more months until we migrate to something new.

I don't really want to expose the guest to the internet because...well, it's Windows XP, so I was wondering if it was possible to make KVM's VNC connection secure.

Is there a reason you can't run VNC over some kind of VPN and block it from anything else?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

thebigcow posted:

Is there a reason you can't run VNC over some kind of VPN and block it from anything else?

No, no reason, and I'll look into doing just that if I need to.

I just didn't know if it was something I needed to do or not.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Verge posted:

So I need to replace my PC (possibly the only half-respectable components are the GPU and RAM chips) and it will be pretty much a gaming PC. That means a "steam machine" (side question: is that just a glorified PC with Steam's logo? Because it sounds like a glorified PC with Steam's logo marketed at consoleers) if you will. I'd rather not have much to do with Windows. Before I get into the hardware side (I'm a fan of AMD, if this matters) I wanna know...is there a linux build that's easy to use and will run games as easily (after setting the OS up) as Windows in the install and play manner I've become accustomed to? I understand I'll have to Wine somethings (right?) and I have no issue if that's a relatively straight forward process.

I'm not afraid of learning a new OS, I'm afraid I'm going to have to 'hack in' half the games I play.

Oh, and does linux gag to either xbox one or ps4 controllers specifically or are they both about equal compatibility with linux?

I tossed SteamOS on one of my partitions to test drive it, and ran into a couple issues, some expected, some not. Machine is a 2500K @ 4.5GHz, and an R9-290.

• Xbox 360 controller compatability: Great.
  • Xbox one controller wireless compatability: Not gonna happen. They didn't even work on Windows 7 wirelessly until very recently.
  • Sound: Integrated sound or GPU sound work fine, I have an Asus sound card that doesn't.
  • Wine is either relatively straightforward, or won't support the thing you're trying to do at all. It can be frustrating overall.
  • ATI/AMD GPU performance on Linux is unpredictable at best, garbage at worst.
  • Some recent games (XCOM 2 for one) do not support any GPUs except nVidia on linux.
  • Performance is worse overall, and an AMD CPU is shooting yourself in the foot for gaming.

You're probably better off running Linux Mint or Ubuntu or something and installing steam on that rather than running SteamOS. I wouldn't consider a Linux-only system as a gaming platform unless all of the games you play have a Linux version. You'll save yourself a lot of pain if you get an nVidia GPU for gaming on linux: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-r9-fury&num=1

I'm really optimistic about Linux gaming, but it's definitely in cowboy territory right now unless you only want to play Dota 2 and/or CS: GO, both of which work flawlessly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you intend to want to play triple AAA games, you'll be poo poo out of luck. WINE is a crapshoot most of the times, and I don't think the more and more complex and harebrained DRM schemes make the job of the WINE developers easier.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

If you want to play games on WINE, always check the WINEdb. Looking at what you play now on that should give you an idea of what works, and how much jiggery-pokey you will have to engage in to get things to work.

https://appdb.winehq.org/

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

• Some recent games (XCOM 2 for one) do not support any GPUs except nVidia on linux.

It actually does work on the open AMD drivers (possibly Intel too?) provided you have a newer MESA version. Performance is allegedly pretty bad compared to the Nvidia binary drivers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm trying to fix a website that's been hacked.

I have shell access as the web user, but no root access. I can see apache access logs going back 24 hours.

The main public_html directory is a Joomla site, and there's a Wordpress site in a subdirectory.

I've been searching for and removing dodgy php files by looking for unusual "POST" requests in the access logs, and also by searching the public_html directory for strings like "eval(base64"

But there is still a hole somewhere because new php files keep appearing.

I need a way to monitor the directory so I can see when files are being created or changed. I'm hoping I can compare the timestamps with the access logs and work out how they are being created.

I have been using commands like "find -cmin -1000" to try and find newly created files, but I think the dodgy files have fake creation / modification times? Is that possible? I found a few new ones just now with modification dates in 2014, but I'm pretty sure they only appeared in the last 24 hours.

Is there a better way to monitor when and which files are changing? I just put the whole public_html directory in a git repository so that I can run "git status" to watch for changes - will that work?

Any suggestions appreciated :)