Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
inotify is better. A trivial script can watch and compare inotify and logs. systemtap if you need more detail.

But you should just wipe it, restore from backups, apply updates to joomla/etc, then put it back online. Don't try to fix a server you know is compromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is this the proper entry to fstab to mount an NFS share on start-up?
code:
192.168.1.23:/volume1/media    /media/nas    nfs    auto    0 0
As long as the nas folder has proper permissions for my user, I should be able to transfer files there like any other directory, right?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

evol262 posted:

inotify is better. A trivial script can watch and compare inotify and logs. systemtap if you need more detail.

But you should just wipe it, restore from backups, apply updates to joomla/etc, then put it back online. Don't try to fix a server you know is compromised.

Thanks. I looked into inotify but inotify-tools isn't available to my user. They're on shared hosting so there's only so much I can do.

I restored their oldest backup and did all the updating / hardening I could, but the php files are still appearing... I know I should tell them to forget it all and start from scratch with a new website and new host, but it's a local school with no budget and that news would be pretty devastating. I figured I would at least try first and see if it was something salvageable...

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

fuf posted:

I'm trying to fix a website that's been hacked.

The main public_html directory is a Joomla site, and there's a Wordpress site in a subdirectory.

Joomla and wordpress? good luck with that.

The correct course of action is to nuke it, but given that might not be possible for you:

Which version of joomla? are they part of the huge swarm of insecure 1.5 installations still out there ?

For the wordpress site, try disabling all plugins and reverting to the default theme. A super popular way of getting owned is to use pirated wordpress themes.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fuf posted:

Thanks. I looked into inotify but inotify-tools isn't available to my user. They're on shared hosting so there's only so much I can do.

I restored their oldest backup and did all the updating / hardening I could, but the php files are still appearing... I know I should tell them to forget it all and start from scratch with a new website and new host, but it's a local school with no budget and that news would be pretty devastating. I figured I would at least try first and see if it was something salvageable...

Well, that rules out systemtap, too.

If you can't use inotify, you'll have to write your own watcher and hope, but rootkits can easily evade it (not that they can't avoid inotify).

But this is a worst-case scenario. There's almost no way to guarantee that some other site on the shared hosting was exploited, and a local root exploit after that. Probably not, but the entire system is untrustable. Does your provider have backups?

If you're not going to write anything, use acls to block the creation of new files, at least, and examine options after that.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Looks like Linux isn't for me then. Well, drat. Thanks for being honest and not fanboys, guys. That's...nonexistant anywhere else, haha.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Verge posted:

Looks like Linux isn't for me then. Well, drat. Thanks for being honest and not fanboys, guys. That's...nonexistant anywhere else, haha.

It's probably getting better in a year or two, especially if Linux releases of AAA games keeps gaining momentum.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
And if radeonhd keeps getting love.

It'll take a while for gaming on Linux to be great, but it's leaps and bounds past what it was 2 years ago. That said, I probably wouldn't recommend that anyone change to it just for games. If gaming is a serious hobby and you want to learn Linux, that's what a VM is for

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Verge posted:

If you're replacing your computer, keep the old one and use it for mucking around in Linux. Getting used to the file system structure and general commands is a good skill to learn and will become more and more useful as Linux becomes more prevalent. Linux has come a long, long way from the days when it was strictly command-line and you had to bust out the compiler any time you wanted to do anything, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I have been recommending Vagrant (https://www.vagrantup.com) to people wanting to use linux for a specific one-off purpose, or learning. Its crazy easy to use, but someone new to Linux or unfamiliar with VMs would never know how to find it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just got a new laptop that I'll be primarily using for scientific computing research. It came with Windows 8 but I'll need to use Linux like 98% of the time so I want to just wipe the SSD clean and install Linux (specifically CentOS) and install Windows 10 as a VM. But I'd like to have a physical partition for Windows for the 1% of the time I ever want to literally boot up into Windows instead of just running Windows as a VM.

On OS X it is/was possible for me to install Windows via Boot Camp and then either boot into Windows or launch a VM with that specific Windows installation, so I would imagine it should be possible to do this with Linux but from the quick searches I've found some things about Windows not activating and things like that.

So what's the verdict and if it's possible what do I do? (Yes I'm allowed to do this with this laptop by the way).

tl dr I want to reformat my SSD and create a Windows and Linux partition that can operate independently, but I also want to be able to launch that Windows partition from inside Linux as a VM. Can I do this.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

tl dr I want to reformat my SSD and create a Windows and Linux partition that can operate independently, but I also want to be able to launch that Windows partition from inside Linux as a VM. Can I do this.
I know you can boot Windows from a vhd(x) file, maybe you can do something crazy like make a VM using VirtualBox and then figure out how to get GRUB to boot that file?

I'm sure this is a bad idea for a number of reasons - off the top of my head hardware issues might crop up since the VM emulates it all vs having access to the actual bare-metal devices. Also Windows performance is apparently not so hot when its run from a file.

Either way, a fun weekend project? v:shobon:v

Edit: this might help http://superuser.com/questions/638438/is-it-possible-to-boot-a-windows-vhd-using-grub-on-a-physical-machine

Edit2: And this just came to mind, you'll probably run into activation issues because even if you get the VHD to boot via grub, the physical motherboard vs the virtual host's motherboard will register as different hardware in Windows. This will most likely trigger activation issues because it'll think it's running on two separate machines.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 11, 2016

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Is there anything I should be looking at besides keepalived if I want to ensure that the front end IPs for our haproxy farm are available across multiple hosts, say up to 10 of them?

In short, we want to have a cluster of physical hosts running haproxy (with a ruleset managed by bamboo that is watching marathon for new apps to launch on mesos) that will be behind a round-robin DNS record, but we want to make sure that if one or two hosts go offline for whatever reason, the front end VIPs for haproxy get brought online on other hosts in the cluster, and, ideally, spread those VIPs back across the cluster once the hosts are healthy.

I looked at corosync + pacemaker but it seems like we'd have to do shared storage if we wanted to do active/active, and it seems way way more complicated than what we actually need.

(Yes, I know the proper way to do this isn't round-robin DNS and keepalived, but we may or may not have hardware load balancers available to us, so I'm preparing a backup plan)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is possible in principle, since you can create a VM hard disk file that just points it at the actual partition and then boot that. However, windows will likely freak the gently caress out when you switch from VM to bare metal (or vice versa) because it will look like all of its hardware has changed under it. Best case, you'll need to reactivate windows and install a bunch of drivers. Worst case, it will outright refuse to boot.

It's probably not worth the effort.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I have a network problem and damned if I know why it does not work.

I have a Debian 8 KVM host that runs a PfSense VM. The pfSense machine has a hardware Nic passed through to it that is its WAN interface. The LAN interface is a bridge created out of the eth0 Nic on the Debian machine.

Now all my machines can get on the Internet except machines connected to the KVM bridge.

I have a NAS that connects trough the Linux bridge to the PfSense machine and has Internet but all the other machines that are running on the KVM host can't.

Is there some funky bridge magic that I am missing?

Edit:

I seem to have fixed it. The PfSense Virtio driver seems to be hosed. On a forum post I found that you have to use the e1000g driver for it to work.

Now all traffic is bridged properly.

Very weird, ICMP worked fine, tcp was borked.

Another thing: Turn off TCP offloading to get some semblance of performance. My network connection, which easily gets 3,5MB/sec, got 400 k/sec turning it off made it resume back to normal speeds.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 11, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Barnyard Protein posted:

I have been recommending Vagrant (https://www.vagrantup.com) to people wanting to use linux for a specific one-off purpose, or learning. Its crazy easy to use, but someone new to Linux or unfamiliar with VMs would never know how to find it.

That looks neat. As soon as I'm done with this whole Microsoft certification thing, I want to concentrate more on Linux stuff. How does Vagrant relate to RancherOS?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

HPL posted:

How does Vagrant relate to RancherOS?

It basically doesn't. Vagrant and Docker can serve some similar use cases, but Vagrant is a generic (though primarily Virtualbox) driver for VMs which easily handles some provisioning of stuff, to make configuration-as-code desktop VMs which can be easily distributed for QA/Dev/etc to get your app easily running to test/work on.

Docker fills a similar hole for production (and sometimes testing/QE).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KVM is cool and I should have done this ages ago.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I bought a 250 GB SSD drive today to replace my 125 GB one, so I have a 125 GB drive left to fully partition into whatever Linux distro.

I've been learning how to program for the last couple of months and I've been wanting to learn more about Linux and, if I like it enough, completely transfer to it except for gaming. My programming experience is still limited and I have practically no experience with Linux. Although I'd love to dive into Arch Linux right away to learn it from the ground up I think it's probably wiser to learn some fundamentals of Linux with a more user friendly distro first. It must have good documentation so I can easily look up information.

What's a good distro to learn the ropes with for a complete beginner?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Ain't that the truth, I am pleasantly surprised by all the possibilities it offers. Passing trough a NIC for a Firewall was a first for me, but it all worked really well. After editing GRUB to include "intel_iommu=on" to get VT-d working it was plain sailing.

Now I am thinking of running my TV Card in it and getting TV-Headend to work in a VM :).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

And if radeonhd keeps getting love.

It'll take a while for gaming on Linux to be great, but it's leaps and bounds past what it was 2 years ago. That said, I probably wouldn't recommend that anyone change to it just for games. If gaming is a serious hobby and you want to learn Linux, that's what a VM is for

Not being able to play games is the only thing keeping Windows on my personal computer.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Not being able to play games is the only thing keeping Windows on my personal computer.

That is why i am thinking of buying a Steam link, creating a KVM VM with a passed through GPU running Windows and playing my games that way.

Windows 10 has nothing I want, and 8.1 does not get the cool updates but does get the crapware. ( telemetry stuff )

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Legit thinking of trying RHEV on my spare R710 for shits and giggles.

e: oVirt I guess. Is oVirt the actual downstream repackaging of RHEV or just a similar product?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 11, 2016

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
RHEV is the downstream packaging for oVirt. oVirt is about 6 months ahead of the RHEV cadence (soon to be 9 months).

I'd strongly recommend using the hosted engine, but that requires external FC/Gluster/iSCSI/NFS storage, which you probably have anyway, but...

Also, feel free to ignore the absurdly large default memory settings the engine recommends. It's Java, so it's a little bit of a memory pig, but I've only seen one customer who actually needs the recommended 16GB, and they have more than 300 compute nodes.

Also, the engine hammers postgres. A lot. There's a lot of optimization work going into oVirt 4.0 to make this better, but if your environment goes down, expect the engine to be a little unresponsive when you log back in. Some stupid design decisions in the distant past means that it doesn't pre-query anything, so when you log in for the first time after an outage, it pulls however many hours of metrics. Set VMs to autostart, or use the Python/Java/REST/XMLRPC API to start the VMs you want.

I principally work on oVirt/RHEV, so fire away here or in the virt thread if you have any questions. I haven't bothered reading any other threads in months. I know there are a couple of other oVirt users in the virt thread, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops sorry I got downstream/upstream flipped.

Does RedHat publish any tools or best practices on migrating from vSphere to RHEV/oVirt? Legit curious how difficult that process is. My lab is only 20 VMs right now, and most of those are throw-away junk boxes that I spin up for testing, but I'd probably have to migrate a good 5-8 actual "important" VMs at some point.

I'll test it out on my spare box first though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, poo poo. I didn't know there was a virtualization thread.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

Oops sorry I got downstream/upstream flipped.

Does RedHat publish any tools or best practices on migrating from vSphere to RHEV/oVirt? Legit curious how difficult that process is. My lab is only 20 VMs right now, and most of those are throw-away junk boxes that I spin up for testing, but I'd probably have to migrate a good 5-8 actual "important" VMs at some point.

I'll test it out on my spare box first though.

virt-v2v.

There are official docs, but you may as well just follow this, since I can't be bothered searching the official docs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks :)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I imagine this a pretty much universally hated question, but I'm wondering what Linux distro to use on a VM, and potentially install on a laptop. I am currently a CS major, and pretty much all of the assignments in every class are designed to be compiled and tested on a Linux server, and we are heavily encouraged to install at minimum a Linux VM so we don't have to constantly SSH to the server. My main use is going to be writing and compiling C and C++, but I will need to use X11 for some applications. My main experience with Linux was using Arch as my primary OS 6 years ago or so, where I primarily used OpenBox as my WM, and forewent a proper DE. Though I enjoyed Arch a lot, it seems like a pain in the just to use in a VM. Is there a nice, tiny, lightweight distro that doesn't require much finagling?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

everythingWasBees posted:

I imagine this a pretty much universally hated question, but I'm wondering what Linux distro to use on a VM, and potentially install on a laptop. I am currently a CS major, and pretty much all of the assignments in every class are designed to be compiled and tested on a Linux server, and we are heavily encouraged to install at minimum a Linux VM so we don't have to constantly SSH to the server. My main use is going to be writing and compiling C and C++, but I will need to use X11 for some applications. My main experience with Linux was using Arch as my primary OS 6 years ago or so, where I primarily used OpenBox as my WM, and forewent a proper DE. Though I enjoyed Arch a lot, it seems like a pain in the just to use in a VM. Is there a nice, tiny, lightweight distro that doesn't require much finagling?

If you set up a VM won't you still just be SSHing into it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ubuntu will probably be the go-to response. I'm partial to CentOS though I'll admit it's not really cutting edge if you're going to use it as a desktop. If you're going to be installing in VMware Workstation or VMware Player then just make sure you either install open-vm-tools or VMware Tools from VMware and you'll be good to go.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Methanar posted:

If you set up a VM won't you still just be SSHing into it?

It's more that the server is under constant heavy load and is a pain in the rear end to work in more than anything. Also no X11.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Graphical option: Lubuntu
Minimal option: Tiny Core Linux

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Using a tiny distro will be a pain in the rear end if you ever need to pull libraries from a package manager.

If you're just going to ssh in, use Fedora server, opensuse, or debian unstable.

Actually, I'd probably recommend the same distros even if you want graphics (Fedora Workstation instead)

Arch is OK for this use case, but pacman is lacking in a lot of areas.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Never not gentoo.

If you can get it to work, anyway(its refused to run in a VM last few times I tried)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What does the server run? I'd suggest sticking to the desktop version of whatever the server is. You'll be pretty close on libraries and used to it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

jaegerx posted:

What does the server run? I'd suggest sticking to the desktop version of whatever the server is. You'll be pretty close on libraries and used to it.

As I think I've received recommendations for most of the major distros, I think I'm going with this, as it makes a lot of sense, and I feel like somewhat of an idiot from not starting out doing this. :v:
It's apparently running CentOS (6.7), so CentOS it is.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

everythingWasBees posted:

As I think I've received recommendations for most of the major distros, I think I'm going with this, as it makes a lot of sense, and I feel like somewhat of an idiot from not starting out doing this. :v:
It's apparently running CentOS (6.7), so CentOS it is.

There's always containers if you wanna up your deployment game but since it's school then stick to what the professor knows.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

jaegerx posted:

There's always containers if you wanna up your deployment game but since it's school then stick to what the professor knows.

Is there any good reason to use 6.7 over 7, besides that being the version the school uses? Or is it really not going to matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm having a really frustrating time trying to dual boot Windows 10 and CentOS 7. First I wiped the hard drive and then installed Windows 10. This automatically created (off the top of my head) the following partitions: 1) Windows recovery, 2) 100 MB EFI boot partition, 3) a 16 MB Windows partition, and 4) a 100 GB data partition. I left the rest of the hard drive un partitioned at this point. Windows booted fine etc. Then I installed CentOS 7 and created a swap, home, root, and what I thought was a EFI boot partition. Now CentOS boots fine, but Windows has disappeared from grub. From searching around I found one recent thread where some other guy had the exact same problem as me and basically everything he's saying is 100% what I'm experiencing.

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=55925

And I've tried everything in that thread. Sadly it got abandoned without a resolution.

I think what happened was that CentOS overwrote the EFI boot partition that Windows created and I can't get my system to boot back into Windows. I've edited the grub.d/40... Config file like that thread said. I installed os prober and ntfs-3g. I can mount my Windows partition and I can see all the files in there. I just can not boot into Windows.

Something else I found was this thread:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/22698/update-grub2-not-finding-windows7-partition

The first reply, he mentions something about os prober being confused about the Linux /boot and Windows /Boot folders and mentions a solution but I don't know how to remove /boot like he says.

The other options I'm finding are to boot into a Windows recovery usb drive or something but I can't do this because I've deleted the Windows USB stick I used to install Windows in the first place and I can't boot back into Windows to create another one.