Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I decided to try to install Gentoo on a separate partition for a dual-boot setup on my laptop.

I downloaded the minimal install CD and followed the documentation through to the part where I installed the base system. Presumably I now have all of the base files copied onto my Linux root partition.

At this point I had some other stuff I needed to do on Windows so I set my boot partition back to the Windows partition since I hadn't installed a bootloader yet.

I'm not sure what the best way to get back to setting up Gentoo is. I think I can just boot off the CD, mount my partitions, and then chroot again, but I want to make sure that this will work and I'm not missing anything else. I think I need to mount the partitions before I chroot because I'm guessing the partition mounting commands aren't saved into any sort of configuration file yet.

But I sort of got lost with some of the commands I was putting in so I might have missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with using suspend2? I can boot off the suspend2 kernel, and the hibernate function works fine. But the suspend function appears to work in that my laptop goes into the suspend/standby mode, but when I try to start it up again, the screen won't turn on. The screen is completely black and the backlight doesn't come back on, but I can here the fans running again so I think something might be working but my screen isn't.

I can't get back to a console screen or anything either. It seems like the screen isn't on at all. Would something show up in a log somewhere? I don't know where to start with figuring out how to fix this.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I've been trying to get my laptop to suspend to RAM properly with gentoo. I compiled the suspend-2 kernel and installed vbetool to get my monitor to turn back on, now it seems to suspend properly, but when I unsuspend it reboots the computer.

Any idea what kind of steps I could take to figure out why it's doing this? I was working on it a while ago and then I sort of stopped, so I'm not sure where to start for getting this working right.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I think I accidentally bizarro-killed my linux

I was trying to set up my wireless networking in gentoo and I was following this:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_BCM43xx

I got to the part where I enter
code:
modprobe bcm43xx
and I get

code:
FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.18-suspend2-r1/kernel/drivers
/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Unknown symbol 
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
when I use dmesg I get an error at the bottom:

code:
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <jketreno@linux.intel.com>
bcm43xx: Unknown symbol hwrng_unregister
bcm43xx: Unknown symbol hwrng_register
I googled that and there was pretty much nothing so I have no idea what I did. Is there some better way to get wireless working or did I probably screw up my installation somewhere?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there a way to move Wine's c drive to somewhere other than my home directory? I had a seperate partition I was planning on using for that but I don't know what configuration files or whatever that I would need to change if I just copied the entire c drive folder to another partition. E: I tried just adding another drive but some stuff gives me bizarre errors if it's not in C

Also, are there any recommendations on the best way to back up my system in case I mess something up?

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 14, 2008

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there some difference between the linux/unix traceroute and the Microsoft one? For some reason my apartment's internet connection seems to run through the local university which makes it impossible to use tracert for anything on Windows (it blocks it or something), but it works fine on my linux system. Just thought that was weird.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there any trick to getting a linux install to work after changing out my PC's processor and motherboard? I was planning on swapping everything out pretty soon, and I wanted to keep my Arch Linux install. I didn't know if I needed to get it to redo whatever it did when I installed it initially or if I could like manually reconfigure the settings for the kernel (I remember playing around with the hardware settings when I had Gentoo)

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I tried just booting up the system after replacing the motherboard, and everything works perfectly (after changing some things in grub ) except that my wireless doesn't seem to work anymore. I have a USB wifi deal (that I can see with lsusb), but the system no longer loads the rtl8187 module automatically. I can do this manually and associate wlan0 with an access point, but dhcpcd times out.

Is this some sort of driver problem where I'd need to remake the initrd? From what I gather I need to:

Boot off live CD
Mount system directories from hard drives
chroot to system
run mkinitcpio
reboot

Is that right?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Resetting my router fixed everything, for some reason. I'm not sure if it was Linux or my router causing the problem, since everything was working fine on my Windows partition the entire time (which was why I assumed it was Linux causing the problem...). So overall, everything worked without any issues other than the hard drive device names getting swapped around.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there a fast way to transfer most of a Linux setup from a VM to a desktop or the other way around? Like I have an Arch Linux installed on a VM right now and I don't know if there's a good way to somehow pull a list of install packages and all my configuration files and stuff so I could just install Arch on the desktop and then have it install all the same packages (minus the vmware things I guess) and copy my old configuration files, or if there's a better way to do this.

Also, what's the fastest method for remote access if you want more than just terminal access? I was using nomachine before because I'd used it at my school and it was pretty snappy, but it was a pain to get it working right and now it broke again so I'm looking for an alternative if possible.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Image it. You can use something like clonezilla.

VNC should do you fine.

Thanks, for some reason I'd thought that VNC setups could only display an entire desktop, but I setup my server (tightvnc) to launch individual programs instead of an entire desktop and it seems to work fine. I'm guessing this has something to do with the way the X window system works.

The only problem is it seems a bit slow compared to nomachine, which I think was just compressed/cached X forwarding. Maybe it's just an issue with not using a good VNC viewer though.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there a good way to edit files in some sort of hex mode over the console? Preferably if there was some command I'm unaware of that worked through common text editors or bash, but other options would be ok too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I have an Arch linux install on a VM, and I broke something (long story) and had to revert to a snapshot that was from back in July 2012. Now I can't do a system update (pacman -Syu) without literally everything breaking. I either get all these "call to execv failed" messages where absolutely nothing works anymore and the system can no longer boot, which seems to be related to updating glibc, or if I tell it not to update glibc until I update everything else, I get a "/lib/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.17 not found" message and if I reboot a ton I can eventually update GLIBC but it does the same "call to execv" error.

Is there any decent procedure for updating from an old install that doesn't destroy my entire system? Most of the things I found online were telling people they should have updated every week or that something happened because they used the force command (I didn't do that) so I'm confused. I've never had this issue before but apparently many things changed in Arch with library symlinks or something last year so I'm guessing that's breaking everything.

Or if an 8 month old arch system is considered doomed, is there a good procedure for copying out all my installed packages and configuration files so I can start a new one?

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 22, 2013