Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
http://tldp.org/guides.html

Have a quick look at Larry Greenfield's Linux Users Guide in the 'older but still pertinent' section at the bottom to see if you're familiar with the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Is DHCP running correctly on your machine? Look in /var/state/dhcp/ for a lease log. Maybe it's easiest to set a fixed address and add a few iwconfig lines to rc.local like this - assuming your wireless i/f is eth0:
pre:
iwconfig eth0 essid "$YOUR_ROUTERs_SSID"
iwconfig eth0 mode Managed
iwconfig eth0 ap $YOUR_ROUTERs_MAC
iwconfig eth0 rate auto
iwconfig eth0 key restricted $YOUR_AUTH_KEY
It's clunky, but hey, Linux :)

Btw, your networking is already configured, right..? If you're not sure, check /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or rc.inet1.conf for a gateway (your router's IP address), your own IP address (either DHCP or an address in your router's range), and a netmask (most likely 255.255.255.0).

The directory locations mentioned may be slightly different for Suse, but the filenames are pretty standard.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 20, 2009

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
edit: nm

You could try adding those lines I posted in rc.local and see what happens. Check boot log (~# dmesg) for messages - you may see udevd entries about renaming your interfaces, but it's a quick way to see if the wi-fi adapter is connecting.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 20, 2009

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
If you're not going to use the wired connection anyway, try this:

1. ~#chmod 600 /$PATH/$TO/rc.wireless.conf
2. ~#chmod 644 /$PATH/$TO/rc.wireless
3. modify your rc.inet1.conf (older distributions put this directly in rc.inet1) to have:
pre:
# eth0:
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.$n" #where $n is an IP address in your router's range
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
USE_DHCP[0]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
and leave all other i/f parameters blank
4. add the already mentioned lines to /$PATH/$TO/rc.local and make sure rc.local is executable (chmod 755)
5. reboot
6. check your router for a wireless service access entry listing your wi-fi NIC's MAC address

If you don't see the MAC address listed, check your router for a MAC filtering mode setting. If it's set to enabled, you'll need to add your wi-fi NIC's MAC address to the allow list or disable filtering (not recommended).

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

DoctorTristan posted:

I tried this but didn't have much luck. Partly because it turns out that Suse has split rc.inet into about six different files and doesn't have anything equivalent to rc.local (the nearest thing I could find was rc.boot, and that's executed much earlier). Hence none of my edits seemed to do much.

Then I found out that Ubuntu 9.04 supports my adapter out of the box, so I think I'll just switch distros instead of trying to figure this out anymore. Thanks for the help.

No problem. Sorry that didn't work out, and good luck.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Lukano posted:

Anyone have any experience with WINE and uTorrent? I've gotten 1.8.5 working (after installing 1.8.5 in wine, then running 2.0 beta, then copying the settings.dat that 2.0 generated in appdata to the program files path) all well and good but for a problem that's plagued me with utorrent in wine for a while.

Hard to tell without seeing your config. Like many others, I run an older uTorrent release on Wine and have never had any trouble.

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, is Ubuntu still the best or could I try something else?

Ubuntu is very easy to use if you come from a Windows or Mac environment. If you just want to use apps and forget about what's under the bonnet, Ubuntu is probably the best solution for you, also because there is a large support community. If you want something much closer to the original Unix idea, Slackware is your best bet.

p.s. Check winehq's compatibility database before you install stuff. Also, try to find an article on installing DirectX on Wine, including .dll overrides and O/S spoofing. It makes a world of difference for most graphics-related software, including games.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 5, 2009

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Lukano posted:

What version of uTorrent do you run without issue? I'm willing to try an older version to see if it resolves to problem - at the very least it'll help me isolate the issue a bit.

Version 1.8.1 (build 12639) from 2008.

I run Wine 1.1.10 as Windows 2000, with the March 2008 release of DirectX and lots of .dll overrides - though none of that is important for running uTorrent.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Severed posted:

So I'm trying to install Fedora off of a Live CD, and the installation goes fine until the very end when it has to finalize the partitions. It ends up hanging there until I eventually have to shut down the machine. Is this a known problem with Live CD installs or am I not being patient enough? It hung on that final screen for about 30 minutes before I canned it.

If you have a very large drive or multiple drives, and the partitioning/formatting routine is set to check for bad blocks, it could take quite a while indeed. When you say it hangs, do you mean there is no sound at all coming from the drive(s)?

You could avoid all this by partitioning your drive(s) yourself, of course. If you need instructions, let us know.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Misogynist posted:

Hey, does anyone know what "nodev" means in the context of sar output? It shows up as a device name when I'm trying to find my disk statistics.

Nodev exention/tools. Your hosed.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bob Morales posted:

Reinstall the bootloader from the OpenSUSE live CD after you install XP.

"Install New Boot Loader" from Expert Tools in YaST

If you google something like "Fix OpenSuse after Windows install" you should find a step-by-step guide

Do you must use YaST? LiLO is much friendlier for this sort of thing and risk is minimal.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Misogynist posted:

Digging around, it looks like it's probably tmpfs, which explains why the actual number of recorded IOPS is much higher than my real disks.

What flavour are you using?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Misogynist posted:

CentOS 5.3 (bumping to 5.4 in a few weeks), 2.6.18-derived kernel.

Looks like your troubles will be over then.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Misogynist posted:

What color schemes are you guys using for console vim? All of my favorites that I use in gVim look like eye-burning rear end over an SSH session with 16 ANSI colors.

Off-white on black, or sometimes olive on black for fun. I only use the Mum & Dad version of Elvis, so I don't have the problem. Ever seen an ANSI lately that was worth it?

Underflow fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 2, 2009

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Zorak posted:

Without admin access, I get this:

===== passive=1 ============
Generating ftp transfer script
/usr/local/ssw/offline/swmaint/script/getins.ftp: Permission denied.

Is the script in your path and/or is it set to accessible/executable for your usergroup?

Zorak posted:

After su'ing up, I instantly get this

===== passive=1 ============
Generating ftp transfer script
Starting ftp transfer of installation package: ssw_install.tar.Z

Followed in a half second by

Passive mode off.
?Invalid command

Most *nix distributions I've seen have root FTP access disabled by default. So by su'ing to root you eliminate any permission problems that may exist for a common user, but the remote machine boots you because you're connecting as root.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 17, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

chiyosdad posted:

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the php syntax. The problem is that php makes some calls to some underlying mail utilities, and if they are not set up correctly then this functionality does not work. When I call the mail function (as well as functions from the pear package) I don't get any mail in my inbox, and do get some error messages in my /var/log/mail.log (copy pasted in my previous post), which I don't have the knowledge to debug.

PHP's mail handling is pretty basic. It's all right in conjunction with sendmail for pushing out simple messages from a server with a FQDN, but if you can't do that it's possible to use external SMTP (and POP) through a third-party class like Tanase Iulian's XpertMailer, which was free the last time I looked.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Green Puddin posted:

I'll end up making an admin account (because, you know, you have to). From there I want to set up three accounts - one for me, two for the other two people. I want to set up specific folders with certain permissions so only those users can use them - basically, it's like if I went through Window's Sharing option on folders. I need to make it so someone can enter credentials to their user name, and access their folder.

I'll probably need to use Samba in all of this somehow because we are pretty much running all Windows clients (my Win7 netbook, a Win7 laptop, and an XP desktop).

Any ideas? Or am I hosed?

You should really read up on things a little more. The Linux Documentation Project has good guides. In short:

Your administrator account (it's called 'root') is created during install. After you're done installing, you can create as many user accounts as you like. Users can be assigned (on an individual basis) to all sorts of groups with varying permissions. User directories will be created automatically each time you add a new user. Samba can be set up to allow all users to access their respective home directories, and/or you can set up common shares that are accessible by all. Read/write access can be specified too.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

covener posted:

readlink -f works in addition to realpath already mentioned.

(duh to me, readlink already re-mentioned too)

A nice utility for analysing and managing links fs-wide is symlinks - last version I know of is 1.1.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Waltzing Along posted:

Here is the question:
Use metacharacters and the ll command to list all filenames under the datafiles directory that contain a dot "." with the letter 'a' anywhere after the dot.

My answer so far: ll \.
This works just fine. Every single thing I have tried for that a is giving me an error message.

I've tried ll [a] which should just find any file with an a in it but that says [a] not found. I've tried mixing and matching all the options: *, [], ?, !(even though it is for excluding). Nothing is working. I'm stumped and know this has to be easy but just can't figure it out.

Thanks if someone cares to help.

I don't have ll and may be totally missing the point of your question, but " ls -al ./.*a* " will list every dot file containing an a anywhere in its name. From what I read re. ll (a contraction of ls -l ?), " ll -a ./.*a* " should do the same; unless the -a switch is alreay implied in the ll command. Also, you don't need to actually cd to the file directory to be scanned; just replace the " ./ " (current directory prefix) with the full path of a directory you want to check; e.g. " ls -al /home/bro/rad/p*n "

e: beaten and humbled

Underflow fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 7, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Sylink posted:

I am attempting to dual install two varieties of Fedora. One is standard Fedora 13 while the other is a the Security spin.

I seemed to have hosed up installing the security distro after leaving free space and I can't get the first install to boot even after editing grub.

Is there a standard method to installing multiple distros I missed? Should I not have the n-th installs make their own GRUB or something?

I've only used GRUB once a long time ago, but from what I remember it was much the same as LILO in terms of handling, so with that caveat:

Under LILO, one could:

- use the install disk for installation 1, and (assuming installation 1 is already functional and okay for what you want)
- rerun LILO and (with only the partition for installation 1 checked)
- install LILO in the MBR (if the next install goes to live on a different drive; otherwise you could use the superblock on the common drive); then
- boot from the install disk for installation 2,
- install the new O/S to a free partition, and
- _skip_ the LILO config.

The next reboot from the hard drive would then go straight into installation 1. Then you

- run LILO again and
- add installation 2's partition to the number of bootable O/Ss on the system, and
- install that new LILO config (again: Superblock of common drive if possible, otherwise MBR).

You may have to run fdisk and look at your partitions to check whether your 2nd installation is flagged as bootable. LILO has 'wait n seconds before booting into the first O/S on the list' - which one is the first is your choice at LILO configuration time - and 'stop' features for choosing the O/S to boot, and I'm sure GRUB has too, being the more modern of the two.

Anyway, it's altogether possible to stack on installations that way. If you're somehow not getting it done with GRUB, try LILO. It's never failed me since I had Win95 living in harmony with Slackware 3.0 (1996, I think).

Underflow fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 15, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
The power management settings on my Slackware 12.1 machine are driving me crazy. I don't want any screen blanking, powersaving, or powering down, so at first I specified in /etc/rc.d/rc.M (the multi-user init script):

/bin/setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0

, which didn't do the trick in X, so I added the same line to the xinitrc's for the various window managers on the system (I usually have different X sessions open for multiple user accounts). All to no avail. What am I missing here?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

enotnert posted:

I don't know how you've set up your X server on slack officially, but normally like say in gnome, there is a separate process handling that. You need to tell that process you don't want it to time out (like in gnome in most distros,
gnome-screensaver will blank/lock/power down a screen).

I'm used to configuring things manually, but I never had to disable powersaving before. I call multiple X sessions using "startx -- :*" where * is a different number for every user, but whatever I specify in the individual xinitrc's is ignored, and I can't see why. The wm's I use (mostly xfce) are pretty minimal and don't have any settings that might override the initial setterm commands.

Comatoast posted:

That is one thing that has always frustrated me about linux workstations. There are no less than two programs attempting to handle the idle timeout stuff. More if you have a bunch of stuff installed. Sometimes one will do its thing and sometimes another will.

Yes, xscreensaver tries to do its thing too, but I never install it. As far as I know, the kernel has screenblanking set to 10m by default; don't know about power settings. Anyway, it's a loving nuisance, cause the screen I'm using at the moment has difficulties coming back from powersave.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

enotnert posted:

I know xfwm has something similar to gnome-screensaver but can't remember what it is that has it's on settings that override .xinitrc.

I had to gently caress around with it a while back when I was using nothing but xfce, but since so many of my end users use gnome, I transferred to using that to more easily troubleshoot their errors.

The adjustment option in xfce is just a simple frontend for xscreensaver as far as I can tell - any changes made there create/modify .Xscreensaver. I'm at a point where I'd be willing to switch to any wm to avoid my screen going dead (now I have to unplug the power cable and wait ~5m before it will switch on again), although I really prefer xfce. Got a feeling the problem is lower level than the wm, though.

Zom Aur posted:

Try 'xset -dpms'

Should disable all those features IIRC.

Thanks for the tip, but that doesn't work either. Whatever is causing those damned power settings to be totally ignored must be pretty low level, as the problem persists across the board. I tried blackbox, fluxbox, fvwm2, kde, windowmaker, xfce, and even twm. Result is always the same; screen blanks after 10m, goes on standby after 30 and won't come back unless left unplugged for a while.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

spoon0042 posted:

xset has a separate option for screen saver, you'll want to try 'xset s off'. It's possible you may need both that and 'xset -dpms'.

Thanks; I overlooked that at first. Adding that in combination with 'xset -dpms' instead of my setterm nonsense did indeed fix the issue for fvwm2, whereas wmaker for some reason prefers 'xset dpms 0 0 0'.

Zom Aur: Thanks a lot for putting me on the right track with dpms. After a bit of searching on the term, what finally did the trick systemwide was adding options to the Monitor ("DPMS") and ServerLayout ("BlankTime", "OffTime", "StandbyTime", "SuspendTime") sections of xorg.conf. And cheers to everyone else for their helpful suggestions. I never had to manually adjust power management settings before, so it's nice to have that covered now.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Can anyone recommend a nice scripting (semi-)IDE for Linux/Unix? I used to use the Jed editor, Quanta+ and a customised version of ColdFusion Studio; all mainly for PHP, but haven't touched them in years and don't know anything about stuff introduced after HTML layers. I don't need a full WYSIWYG thing; just something with a useful code library and nice colour tagging that'll let me have a peek at the final results now and then.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

rt4 posted:

Netbeans and Firefox/Firebug do all of that well for me.

Thanks, I'll try that.

e: Netbeans is just what I wanted

Underflow fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 2, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bob Morales posted:

What's the best vim resource(s) out there? Tutorials, tips, customization...I can 'get around' in it but I wouldn't say I know "how to use" vim.

This is just a quick reference, but it covers useful stuff. Don't know who wrote it or where I got it from:

pre:
     a                Add text after the cursor.
     A                Add text to the end of the current line.
     i                Insert text at the cursor.
     I                Insert text at the beginning of the current line.
     o                Open a new line below the current line and add text.
     O                Open a new line above the current line and add text.
     S                Substitute the letter underneath the cursor with letter you type.
     S or c           Delete the current line and substitute it with text you type.
     R or C           Replace current text with text you type.

x                Delete the letter beneath the cursor.
     dw               Delete the letter beneath the cursor and the rest of the word.
   # dw               Delete the following number of words, including the current word.
     D                Delete from the cursor to the end of the line.
     dd               Delete the current line.
   # dd               Delete the following number of lines, including the current line.
     yy               Copy or "yank" the current line.
   # yy               Copy or "yank" the following number of lines, including the current line.
     p                Paste the current copied or deleted letters, words, or lines after the cursor.
     J                Join the next line with the current line (erases a carriage return).
     u                Undo the last edit.
     .                Redo the last editing command.

j                Move down to the next line.
     k                Move up to the previous line.
     h                Move backward by letter.
     l                Move forward by letter.
     w                Move forward by word.
     b                Move backward by word.
     e                Move forward to the end of a word.
CTRL+F                Move forward to next screen.
CTRL+B                Move backward to previous screen.
CTRL+D                Move forward one-half of a screen.
     G                Move to the end of the file.
   # G                Move to the specified line number in the file.
     $                Move to the end of the current line.
     0                Move to the beginning of the current line.

/                Search for a specified word.
     n                Search for next occurrence of specified word.
     N                Search for previous occurrence of specified word.

:wq or ZZ         Save and quit out of the file.
    :w                Save the current file without quitting.
    :q                Quit if no edits have occurred.
    :q!               Quit without saving edits.

:set nu           Show line numbers.
    :set nonu         Turn off line numbers.
    ^g                Display current line number/file name.
    /hello            Search forward (down) for "hello".
    ?hello            Search backward (up) for "hello".
     n                Search again, (same direction as original).
     N                Search again, (opposite direction as original).
    :s/dog/cat        Replace "dog" with "cat" (first occurrence of dog) on the current line.
    :1,$s/dog/cat/g   Replace "dog" with "cat" (every occurrence) for the entire file.
    :1,3s/dog/cat/g   Replace "dog" with "cat" on lines 1 -> 3 of the file, every occurrence.

vi                    Begin editing unnamed file.
vi file1              Begin editing file1.
vi file1 file2 file3  Begin editing 3 files, file1 will appear initially.
vi *.txt              Begin editing all files ending in '.txt'.
vi -r important.file  View file 'important.file' in read-only mode.
view important.file   Same as vi -r.

Note that the following commands are to be executed from command mode:

- If you started vi with more than 1 file name on the command line, you can type:
  :n
  to go to the next file in the list of files you supplied.

- If you have entered :n one or more times to move through a list of files, you can return to the first file (the initial file that appeared when you started vi) by typing:
  :rew

- You can list all the files that you gave vi on the command line (the current file will appear inside '[' ']') using the following command:
  :args

- Once vi is running, you can jump directly to a new file by typing:
  :e the.new.file.name

- While you are running vi, if you have changed the current file via:
  :rew, :e, :n
  you can swap back to the previous file using:
  :e#
  This is especially useful when you are entering long pathnames after :e
Sorry if too long or not what you're looking for.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Yeah, that looks nice.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

ClosedBSD posted:

All the cool kids are using Arch and pulling the latest version of KDE from the AUR, and then adding on other cool looking KDE packages from the AUR until something breaks, which causes cascading breakings of the system until your last four hours of work are wasted :smith:

Also, version 13.37 of Slackware was released, and KDE is the default desktop if you want a small but decent challenge.

Don't they ask you anymore in the setup script after install? Recent Slack usually came with Windowmaker/NextStep, Xfce, Blackbox, Fluxbox, Fvwm and Twm too.

Btw, why is it that KDE won't escape to the command line using Ctrl+Alt+F*? Nothing in its default keybindings seems to occupy the combo, but it doesn't works for me in 3.5.9 on Slack 12.1

Not a big fan of KDE (too many idiosyncracies compared to the more straightforward wm's), but it has some nice utilities. Seems to go down well with people coming from Win/Mac systems.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Zom Aur posted:

I'm not running it on slack, but that particular combo works just fine here. So I don't think it's a problem specific to KDE.

Weird; for me it is. I escape out of all other wm's just fine.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

ClosedBSD posted:

Yeah it still comes with all those WMs, I just meant the KDE had always seemed to be the "preferred" one for Slackware users.

Also, I don't know much about the Ctrl+Alt+F thing, since I'm always on Gnome or XFCE, even on Slackware. KDE isn't worth the hassle, and all the extra clutter and space taken up by the KDE menus usually means I'll be missing 1-2 lines of code in any text editor I'd have open.

Xfce is the best hands down, though it took a while for it to get fleshed out featurewise. I never seriously used KDE since Slackware 9.0 came with that faulty compile (linked to the wrong libs, I think it was). Maybe the Ctrl/Alt/F* thing is another one of those cock-ups. Sure is pretty if you like lots of colours, though.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

ClosedBSD posted:

I usually use Gnome since that's what's available immediately on the majority of distros, but about a year ago I went through the trouble of getting Debian stable running on my 4 year old laptop, and decided to go with XFCE with a few theme tweaks to darken in and minimize the menu bar. It was easily my favorite desktop Linux experience, very snappy and simple.

Yes, it's really very nice. Solely thanks to Xfce I can still run a laptop from the last millennium and not get annoyed after 5m. Does everything you need and has none of the bloat or period fads of other WMs' older versions. I like the menu behaviour in v4.4. where non-Xfce components and 3rd-party apps including Wine installs are sensibly integrated without having to resort to appfinder or whatever it's called in KDE. Even KDE's utilities are directly accessible if you want them.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bob Morales posted:

Fresh install of OpenSUSE, how do you get KDE to 'forget' the last person to login? If I reboot, my username name automatically populates the login: field.

From what I remember of KDE 3.1, you can manage default user logon and other session stuff in Control Centre's SU section. May have to combine that with disabling 'save session'. Or are you booting straight into runlevel 4?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bob Morales posted:

4 or 5, the display manager automatically comes up when I boot.

Try escaping to the command line; then log in on another terminal with the same userid and start X with 'startx -- :2'. If it still happens, it should be something in your KDE config you can change in Control Centre in the superuser section.

Can't imagine it's something dictated by the SuSE config, but if it is and you can't change it (unlikely), perhaps you can just modify /etc/inittab to boot into runlevel 3 and start your X sessions manually. I use the ' -- :n' suffix on a per-user basis for multiple simultaneous X sessions using different WMs. It's pretty handy for separating work from play.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

LamoTheKid posted:

Not sure if this goes here, if it doesnt, I apologize.

I inherited a Wyse V90L here at work. It's got a 512mb flash drive and 512 megs of ram. I'd really love to turn this thing into a low power seedbox for use at home.

I figure I'd need a 128mb swap partition so that leaves me with about 384 megs to work with on the flash drive.

All I need is basic tools, a text editor, screen, zsh, rtorrent and OpenSSH daemon. I have a 2TB usb disk I can use to download to. Samba would be nice to for XBMC to mount it, but it's not 100% necessary.

Is drat Small Linux my best option? I'm most comfortable with Debian but am open to any distro really.

I'd try Slackware first. If you use the menu-based installer you can pick only what you need and come up with a surprisingly small, but efficient little system. Your 512Mb of RAM will hardly be challenged[*], so you could even cut back on swap space. I know the old rule is 2.5 the amount of physical mem, but in your situation it's unlikely you'll use much.

[*]Just for shits and giggles, I started every daemon on an old PII I have with 128Mb RAM; incl. Sendmail, Apache, MySQL, Samba, SSH, NFS, Tor/Privoxy. Total amount of memory used idling: 64Mb. Put some load on, still not using swap.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a way to make 'ls' re-load the contents of a directory?

Here's what happened. We have a script that does a bunch of stuff, and one thing it does is creates a symlink to another directory. So I'd type 'ls' and see the directories/files, then the script would run and I'd type 'ls' again.

I had to cd out of the directory and back in to get it to re-load! what the gently caress.

'watch' in combination with 'ls' - like 'watch ls -OPTIONS'

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

enotnert posted:

Bob,

If you've got time to chat off forums, I'd actually like to take this vmware discussion somewhere. You evidently know things that would be highly useful to me, and I'd appreciate it if you had a quick minute.

S.C. sweeps posted:

When you find out the solutions to your questions, would you mind posting them in this thread, as well? I have also been trying to familiarize myself with VMware, and any extra knowledge of how it works could help.

I'd be interested in that as well.

On another note, the latest Slackware release is quite an improvement over 12.1 I was still running - not to speak of 9.0 and 3.0 that are still ticking away on ancient luggables. I usually don't rush it, but I couldn't resist this release's 13.37 stamp.

Lots of older and obscure hardware I have, like audio/video/MIDI interfaces, is actually working better now than with previous kernels. I did revert to an older version of Samba, as it seems to be impossible to mount Windows 95 (yeah) shares under CIFS.

It's a pity that XFCE didn't stick with its former layout, though. Having the apps menu on the right felt so much more natural than on the left. Don't think there's a way to customise that from what I've seen. Also, X's new config system is a bit of a pain.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
What you need is a joke database. The joke table should have joke tag fields for joke sorting by various joke criteria. A joke search for 'long face' should then return all jokes with the 'horse' and 'bar' tags, for example.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

FortifiedTumor posted:

I'd like to keep better track of jokes I've written. Right now I just have directories of topic names. This limits me to one topic per file.

I'd like to be able to pull of a list of topics and then list all files for a given topic.

These are all plain text files. I don't know if there is a clever way to do this command line with putting something like %$TopicName in the file. Otherwise I've seen photo management software that has tagging ability. Something like that for text files would work.

EDIT: Bonus points if it's something I can carry over to Windows. I don't want to do this twice.

Serious post: I just remembered htdig. If I understand your reqs correctly, this could be a nice portable solution if you already have a simple http server running for development or docs or something. It indexes a given path and builds its own db so you can search freetext.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bob Morales posted:

Wrong thread I think.

Yeah, but because of the username I had to read it twice while wondering if I was somehow unaware of a whole chunk of insider technology nomenclature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Ziir posted:

No, that didn't help. I swear I had it working like regular backspace even just one hour ago.

Try 'export TERM=gnome' without the quotes.