Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?
Is there a straightforward way to tell xinit to start a new X server without explicitly telling it which number server to use?

For example "xinit blah -- :1" will start blah on a X server :1 and will create server :1 if it does not already exist. But what I want is an xinit command that starts a completely new X server every time it is invoked, regardless of which or how many X servers are already running. Can I do this?

Alternatively is there a command (other than parsing the output of ps) that will list the currently running X servers so that I can script such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Captain Cool posted:

My Ubuntu Edgy box seems to have died today. I was gone for about five hours, and when I came back the monitor wouldn't come out of powersave, like it wasn't receiving a signal. Then I noticed the hard drive light was on steady, though I couldn't hear the drive. I thought my new CPU fan had died but it was still working. No response to ssh. Caps lock didn't toggle the light.

After a while, I turned it off. Now I get nothing when I turn it on - no beeps, no video, no hard drive access, pings time out. Next I'll try flashing the bios, then disassembling the machine down to motherboard+processor and see if I get beeps. But I have a few questions before that.

Any idea what it was doing or what broke (or what I broke)? I've never seen a machine this unresponsive.

What are the panic keys in Linux? Ctrl-alt-backspace, any others to try in this situation? I've had it lock up before, but always in the gui. It was folding at the time, also running gaim, an idle azureus, and shareclip, which hasn't caused any problems before.

Also, if anyone has an alternative to ShareClip, I'd love to hear about it. It works fine but it's a bit indy and unsupported.

At exactly what point is your machine failing? You said "no beeps, no video" - I take that to mean that the BIOS isn't even doing it's power-on self test. If you're not even getting a POST or at least a POST beep, your problem has nothing to do with Linux and no panic keys in the world will help you. Incidentally, how are you planning to flash your BIOS if your machine does not show you the BIOS screen?

If this is the case, basically there are two possibilities: your power supply is dead, or your motherboard is dead. If your CPU, RAM, or video card were dead, your mobo would be beeping its head off. If anything else were dead, you'd definitely get a POST and probably boot to Linux in some capacity.

If you hear fans whirring and hard drives spinning up, it's probably your motherboard. If you hear nothing, it's probably your power supply.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Captain Cool posted:

Fans spin fine, but I can't tell if the hard drive is spinning. It's a mini-itx system, with soldered-in CPU, so I hope it's not the motherboard. I see what you're saying though.

"Flashing" was a bad word. I mean taking the battery out.

What you are doing when you take the battery out is resetting the CMOS. Most motherboards provide a jumper that you can set to do this instantaneously so that you don't have to wait for the battery to drain.

There is a chance that this will fix our problem if your issue is that there is a setting in the BIOS which is causing the BIOS not to be able to load properly.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

rugbert posted:

Nothing. I had to install some drivers to read NTFS drives and when I went to go look at what drives were available to mount I could only see the two other dual boot partitions (WinXP and Server 2003). The second harddrive is on the same IDE cable and the humper settings are set to slave so I dont know why fedora cant see it.

this command: /sbin/fdisk -lu /dev/hda | grep NTFS
code:
gave me these results
/dev/hda1   *          63    83891429    41945683+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2        83891430   120085874    18097222+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5        83891493    96470324     6289416    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6        96470388    96679169      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda7        96679233   120085874    11703321   8e  Linux LVM
hda1 and 5 are my windows partions and im guessing hda2 is the second harddrive but when I try to mount it Im told to specify a filesystem..

The second hard drive is /dev/hdb

The letter after hd identifies the physical drive, and the number identifies the partition. For example, hda3 is the third partition of the first drive, and hdb1 is the first partition of the second drive, etc.

Now, /dev/hda2 is an "extended" (Ext'd) partition, which is something that windows does to compensate for hardware limitations. It's basically a container for other partitions - you can't mount it. The information that you posted shows that your first hard drive (/dev/hda) has two real windows partitions (/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5).

Look at the output of /sbin/fdisk -lu /dev/hdb, and see which partition describes itself as "HPFS/NTFS" - it's probably /dev/hdb1. That's where your music is.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

swalk posted:

I have a dedicated server with 5 IPs. Whenever I SSH in under my user account, the IP that "bash" or my ssh session uses is *.54, but when another user logs in they get a different IP. This seems to be consistent because I have always gotten .54

Does someone know how this IP binding works and if it's possible to change it?

Any program that I run from my bash session uses the *.54 IP but I need to change it to another one.

edit: Using Debian Stable for reference and I'm talking about external IPs.

If you have root-level access to the server, you can change the IP that the SSH daemon listens on. Edit the sshd configuration file (usually /etc/ssh/sshd_config) and add the line "ListenAddress <desired-ip>".

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Faustus D.D. posted:

I need to put a path into a program manually but the path in question is not on my primary drive its on a USB external drive.

Is there a simple way I can find out how to do that? Aka is there somewhere in the GUI I can see the drive list so that I can figure out the exact naming to use.

If it were windows I could look at the directory and see the path but in linux I know things are just as easy as "c drive" but I see nowhere even on the properties of my mounted drive that tell me whats its patch would be. Which is silly of them I might point out.

edit: nevermind I think I got it. Turns out the drive in question was named Media which obviously was causing me to not realize that the mount point was /media

In the future, the console command to show all mounted devices and mount points is 'df'. For example:

code:
tyler@kusari ~ $ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1              86G  8.9G   72G  11% /
tmpfs                 943M     0  943M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1             294G  209G   70G  76% /home
/dev/sda2              20G  7.3G   13G  38% /windows
/dev/sdc1              63M  2.2M   61M   4% /media/CARD DISK
(the -h is to make the sizes human-readable)

This shows, among other things, that the USB thumbdrive that I just plugged in is mounted on /media/CARD DISK.

There is probably a more user-friendly way to show this in your GUI, but that depends on which GUI apps you are using. In Konqueror, you can go to media:/, which will shwo you all mounted devices. You can right click, choose properties, and there's a "Mounted On:" line.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

rugbert posted:

Anyone have anytips on how to install Nvidia GeForce fx 5200 drivers? Theyre listed in the yum but I used the GUI package updater because Im kinda nervous but got nothing but conflict errors... I wanna pretty up my desktop!

For me it was as simple as installing kmod-nvidia. Can you provide a bit more information, such as which distribution you are using (guessing FC6), which repository you are getting the drivers from, and exactly what conflict messages you are receiving?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

huge rear end zit posted:

Say I've got a 120gb Hard Drive, partitioned into 2, and I want to add it my linux box, more specifically Debian. How would I go about this if the 120gb is formatted in NTFS? To add to the mix, I've got a spare 250gb hard drive that's blank that can be used in this.... process.

Do you want to just access it as it is (NTFS), or convert the partition to something like ext3 and preserve the data?

If the former, there is now a full capability (read/write/etc) driver for NTFS on linux. It's called NTFS-3g and is available for Debian

If you want to change the format and save the data, you need to use that extra drive, because you can't do a non-descructive reformat. Hook up both drives, and do this:

1. Create a 120GB or larger partition on the 250GB drive
2. Format that partition with ext3 (or your favorite FS)
3. Copy all data from the 120GB drive to the 250GB drive [note that this requires ntfs-3g!]
4. Delete all of the partitions on the 120GB drive
5. Create whatever partitioning setup you want on the 120GB drive
6. Format those partitions with ext3 (or your favorite FS)
7. Copy all data from the 250GB drive back to the 120GB drive
8. Do whatever you like with the 250GB drive

In Linux, the tool to create or delete partitions is fdisk. To create a partition on the first IDE hard drive, run "fdisk /dev/hda", similarly for hdb, or sda or whatever. fdisk is pretty straightforward, once you press ? to see what the commands are.

The tool to format a partition is mkfs.<filesystem-name>. So, for example, "mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1" to format the first partition of the first IDE drive with ext3. There are lots of nifty options you can pass to mkfs.whatever, such as volume label, so read the man page if you're interested.

I suggest that if you don't plan to use this drive with windows anymore that you do the second process of reformatting the disk. Running a linux system that accesses lots of files on a drive that is formatted with a *nix-unfriendly filesystem is possible, but really annoying after a while.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

huge rear end zit posted:

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know there was a package available to read/write to an NTFS partition in linux! I'll most definitely give this a go once I have this assignment out of the way.

EDIT:

One more question. I've never had to upgrade my kernel, as none of the packages I've installed have required dependencies that need anything better than what I had. Now I do. Currently I have Kernel 2.4.27-2-386. I'm using Debian. Any tips for a newbie?

Fortunately you probably don't need to upgrade your kernel to get ntfs-3g working. ntfs-3g is based on FUSE, which is a generic kernel interface for many filesystem drivers. The only thing you need to do to your kernel is to install the FUSE driver, if you don't already have it. The FUSE driver (like almost all drivers) can be compiled as a module against your existing kernel.

Look at the information here: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/

You need to have the headers and sources for your existing kernel installed, and you have to run the configuration script on your kernel sources, but you do not have to actually compile or replace your kernel.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

rugbert posted:

Um Im using the yum repository (I think thats right Im still new at this) with Fedora Core 6. Heres whats available through yum tho:

[snip]

tons of poo poo. and heres my error

[('package kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 is already installed', (2, None, 0L)), ('file /boot/System.map-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6', (7, '/boot/System.map-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6', 0L)), ('file /boot/config-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6', (7, '/boot/config-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6', 0L)), ('file /boot/symvers-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.gz from install of kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6', (7, '/boot/symvers-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.gz', 0L)), ('file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 from install of kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 conflicts with file from package kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6', (7, '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6', 0L))]

edit - actually i went through the GUI's add/remove software and installed xorg which grabbed the kmod driver..Im jsut trying to use some desktop effects and Im thinking if those wont work now then beryl wont either.

Firstly, the repository you are using is called "livna" - yum is the program that installs software from various repositories. Livna is probably the most popular third-party repository for Fedora Core Linux. It provides software that the official repositories (Core and Extras) do not provide because of licensing issues - for example, the nvidia drivers are closed-source, and therefore not available through the official channels.

The front page of the livna repository website (https://rpm.livna.org) says that this error is actually due to a bug in the FC6 installer which installed the wrong kernel on your machine by accident. The fix instructions are here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common#head-e0676100ebd965b92fbaa7111097983a3822f143

Follow those instructions and then try installing kmod-nvidia again.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

rugbert posted:

OK I ran this line
rpm -qa 'kernel*' --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n"|sort

to list my kernel and got two results and a kernel headers thing. so Im not really feeling good about updating just yet. Infact, I wanted to ask someone about why there were two boot options for FC in my grub after I did the first system update.

There's nothing wrong with having multiple kernels installed at once - the kernel packages are smart enough that they don't conflict with one another. You are still only running one kernel at once. You can figure out which kernel you are running by typing "uname -r" at a command prompt.

Usually linux package managers will not automatically remove old kernel versions when you upgrade. This is for two reasons:

1. Because, while usually kernel upgrades go without issue, if there is a problem, it could prevent your system from booting entirely. That's why they keep the old kernel(s) around by default, so that you can always get your system booted to fix any problems.

2. You can't switch kernels without rebooting, so you can't delete the files for the old kernel before booting into the new kernel. Any way of automating that would be prone to a lot of problems.

Once you boot into your new kernel and you know it is working properly, you can safely remove the old kernel package explicitly.

Smackbilly fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 27, 2007

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

deathmerc posted:

Upgraded my linux server from ubuntu server 6.10 to the latest and it seems to have eaten one of my drives. It shows up when the machine POSTS and in the BIOS but ubuntu doesn't want to see it anymore.

I have four HD's in the machine, 2 x ide and 2 x sata and it's one of the IDE drives that has gone missing.

The three drives that are working are:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc1

There are no hdx devices listed in /dev and the sdx devices are:
sda sda1 sdb sdb1 sdc sdc1 sdc2 sdc5

I've tried mounting them all in fstab and manually but can't seem to find which is my missing IDE drive.

It's probably something simple, but I'm stumped. If there's any other info that can help I'll provide it. Cheers in advance.

sdx devices are SCSI or SATA devices. IDE devices will be called hdx.

I have no idea what the third sdx device is, if you say you only have two SATA drives. I would normally suspect it might be an optical drive doing SCSI emulation, but there wouldn't be any partition devices listed for that.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Lexical Unit posted:

Nope. I happen to know the answer I'm looking for is 10.8.16.1, but route gives rows 10.8.0.0 and 169.254.0.0 under "Destination" and under "Gateway" I just see * for those two entries and my computer's name for the "default Destination."

If that's true then there's something's configured wrongly. The last line of the route command should say "default" in the desitnation column, and the gateway column should be the name or IP of your default gateway.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Lexical Unit posted:

I assure you nothing is configured wrongly as this is a work computer, is one of thousands, and all of them are working perfectly well. Perhaps our network is configured in an atypical fashion.

However atypical though, you would think Linux capable of determining what its gateway's IP address is -- unless perhaps that atypical configuration was designed to obfuscate such a thing... perhaps?

Well, if `route' really is the (apparently) singular way to get the gateway-IP in Linux, consider me informed (and confused at the same time).

Can you post what the output of route actually is? It seems like you're describing something like this:

code:
Destination     Gateway         
10.8.0.0        *               
169.254.0.0     *               
default         <your ip>       
Is that right? Does the computer perhaps have more than one NIC?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
Minor minicom question:

I have a computer running headless that I am connecting to via a null-modem cable using minicom. The connection establishes perfectly, but this happens:

code:
Welcome to minicom 2.1

OPTIONS: History Buffer, F-key Macros, Search History Buffer, I18n
Compiled on Jul 26 2006, 06:38:12.

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)
Kernel 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6 on an i686

reakk login: AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
Password:
i.e. the printable part of the minicom modem init string is being entered as the username. Now obviously I can press enter and log in on the second try, but that's annoying and I'd like to make it stop if possible. The solution is not so simple as to make the init string empty in the minicom options - if I do that, it doesn't connect at all. :(

Anyone have a clue how to fix this?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

teapot posted:

What do you mean, does not connect at all? It will connect, but since it didn't send anything, you will see empty screen until you type something.

Ah, you're right. The issue was I didn't see "login:", so I didn't think it was expecting input. I figured out that if I replace the init string with a ^L, it shows the "login:", but doesn't enter anything. Thanks.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

teapot posted:

And what happened to ssh? My usual directory transfer procedure is
code:
cd /somedir && ssh otherhost '(cd /someotherdir && tar cz . )' | tar xvz

Is there any advantage to this over scp with the -r and -C options?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

DeathChill posted:

So, Compiz and Beryl, they're actually window managers and desktops and not just imaging tools (like Aqua).

They're window managers only. If you want a desktop environment, you will also need to install one of those, such as KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

lol internet. posted:

What's the best way to rename a user account? (so it changes the profiles/permissions correctly as well?

I used lusermod --login=newlogin oldlogin but I don't think that worked too well.

That should be fine. Permissions and file ownership are done by user ID, not username, and the above lusermod command doesn't change the user ID. What went wrong when you did that?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
I have some files in a personal subversion repository, and I want to place them in a shared subversion repository - how can I do this while retaining the revision history for these files? I know there will be no conflicts between the files and anything that already exists in the destination repository.

Is there a way to insert my files into the target repository so that if the current revision of the target repository is x, then revision y of the source repository becomes revision x+y of the source repository?

I know I could script this if need be, but I'm hoping that subversion has some kind of built-in facility for this that I haven't been able to find yet.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Jo posted:

I've got ~1000 files in a folder. I was wondering if there's a way to run a command for each of the files in a folder, appending the output. (Under bash.)

./JTSPSolver < ./06CityProblems/* >> ./outFile

Doesn't work.

for i in `ls ./06CityProblems`; do ./JTSPSolver < ./06CityProblems/${i} >> ./outFile; done

More than one way to skin a cat, especially in Linux. :)

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Jo posted:

Thanks to both of you. Works wonderfully.

Though it brings up the question: if I run the script with nice -n -19, does JTSPSolver get high priority, too?

If not, can I change the priority of the task once it's running?

Yes and yes.

The value that you give to nice is a value to add to your parent process' priority (if you are starting a program directly from the shell, your parent is the shell). This means that if, for example, your shell is being run with niceness 10 and you run a process with nice -n -19, the niceness of that process with actually be -9. But the answer to your question is that if you run the script nice -n -19, the inner program will by default run at a nice offset of 0 from its parent (the script), which means that it will indeed run at the same priority as its parent.

If you want to change the priority of a running process, there is a command "renice".

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

JoeNotCharles posted:

For a home computer, I wouldn't bother. The main point of separating them would be so that if one of your partitions gets corrupted, you don't lose the other one. Obviously, this has the most effect if the other partition is actually on a separate drive, which it sounds like it won't be.

It is always useful to have your OS files and your personal data on a separate partition, for any OS. In the case that you want to install a different distribution, or do a clean install of a new version of your distribution, you can simply format the / partition and start clean rather than mucking around with trying to wipe out your OS files and keep your personal files safe.

Anal Wink posted:

Question: I'm about to install on a 700gb drive. It'll mostly be used for a media share for my xbox, but I'm also going to play around with Xen.

Should I put /homes on its own partition, and if so, how much do I give /? Would all the rest of my Xen images be stored in my user directory?

Most installations of Linux aren't going to need more than an 8GB or so root partition. However, given that that drive is about as big as a moon of Jupiter, you probably want to be really generous with how much space you allocate to /, just so you don't run into problems later. I'd go with maybe 50GB.

I would suggest keeping Xen images either in /home or in a third partition that is separate from / and /home, so that you can still safely reformat / if necessary without having to back up anything.

By the way, the easiest way to solve the "how big do I make my partitions?" question is to use Linux Volume Management, which essentially allows you to resize your partitions if you need to. If you're willing to take a few minutes to read a HOWTO on LVM, that's really the way to go.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Professor Science posted:

I've been running Fedora 7 for a few days on a workstation at work and I like it a lot. I'm tempted to try it on my desktop here and replace Ubuntu for the time being, but I'd like to do a network install. Does anyone know if the standard nForce 4 Ethernet controller is supported by the installer?

Yes it is.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Professor Science posted:

<3

Is there a list of these somewhere? I wasn't seeing anything linked in the installation guide, which seemed like bullshit.

I don't know - I just know I happened to do a net install using an nForce4 built-in NIC last week.

Most NICs should work just fine under modern Linux distributions, though. Hardware compatibility isn't nearly as big a problem as it used to be.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Peven Stan posted:

Quick question: If I plan on dual booting Linux and XP using GRUB as the bootloader, what's the order that I should install the two in? Is it possible to add a current XP install in the bootloaders as well?

You can install them in either order, but if you install Linux first, XP will overwrite the boot loader and you will have to use a Rescue CD or Live CD to get back into Linux to restore grub. So it's easier (but not necessary) to install Windows first.

And yes you can add existing Windows installations to the loader. See here: http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_4.html

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

The Human Cow posted:

code:
mwar@laptopwarren3:~$ host -a omnion
Trying "omnion"
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 60737
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;omnion.                                IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
omnion.                 0       IN      A       192.168.0.36

Received 40 bytes from 192.168.0.1#53 in 8 ms

I'm assuming that 192.168.0.1 is your router. This means your router's DNS server is telling you the .36 address. If you are sure that that address is wrong, then the router must be in some sort of confused state and probably needs to be reset.

One possibility might be if you just recently changed ominon from DHCP to static ip without releasing its lease, the router might still think that ominon is located at .36 because it still has a DHCP assignment to that effect.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

beuges posted:

I've got a weird problem. Just set up a gentoo box - everything's been updated with the latest and greatest as of a day or two ago. The problem is, every time I restart my computer, my nameserver details in /etc/resolv.conf disappear.

Current contents is as follows:

code:
pornserver etc # cat resolv.conf
# Generated by net-scripts for interface eth0
domain dhiren.za.net

nameserver 66.18.68.1
However, every time I restart the computer, the nameserver entry is gone, and I have to add it in manually. Any ideas what might be causing it?

I'm running samba, squid, exim, courier-imap, apache and mysql.

It's being overwritten by your dhcp client. You need to edit your dhcp client config file for the interface question and add the line "append domain-name-servers 66.18.68.1". I can't remember where this file is on Gentoo, but on Fedora it's /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf (or replace eth0 with whichever interface).

If you need the "domain" line to appear as well, there are lots of other directives you can put in the dhcp client config file. man dhclient.conf

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Begby posted:

Holy poo poo! That is goddam brilliant!

If you like that, check out the the description of "less" given in the name section of its man page. :)

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
How do I watched log? :downs:

I've never used logwatch before, and I'm trying to set it up. The problem is, I can't get it to give me anything but disk usage and network interface information. It doesn't tell me jack about the logs. I try:

code:
logwatch --print --service All --detail high
as root, and all I get is disk usage and network info - nothing about logs. As far as I can tell, the default logwatch configuration has lots of different analyzers, and specifying --service All should invoke all of them.

Naming specific services like --service secure doesn't work either. That gives me no output whatsoever.

What am I missing? I'm on Fedora 8, if it matters.

Edit: Nevermind. Turns out that the problem was that I didn't have a necessary perl module installed. It would've been nice if it, y'know, said something about that.

Smackbilly fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 26, 2007

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Sergeant Hobo posted:

here's the ls -l output for the directory in question:

drwxr-xr-x 2 public users 4096 2007-12-12 19:28 public

What's preventing me from having write access to this directory when I'm logged in under my username?

Also, if it wasn't obvious from that output, I made a Linux user called public with a home directory of /home/public. Do I need to have a Linux user to have a Samba user? If not, I imagine I wouldn't want an extra user in existence if I don't need to.

Because your user is not the same user as "public".

The permissions on that directory are read/write/exec for the owner and only read/exec for group and world. At the moment, the only user who can write to that directory is the user "public". If you want to allow everyone to write to this directory, you need to give it world-write permissions - chmod 777.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Sergeant Hobo posted:

So there's no way to give write permissions only to a user who is not the owner? Or am I going about this the wrong way entirely?

Although it seems you fixed your problem, the way to give write permissions to 1 or more users who are not the owner is to create a group, put the users who should have write permissions into that group, assign group ownership of the directory to that group, and then give the directory group write permissions. If you need anything more fine-grained than that, you need to look into ACLs.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I think I accidentally bizarro-killed my linux

I was trying to set up my wireless networking in gentoo and I was following this:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_BCM43xx

I got to the part where I enter
code:
modprobe bcm43xx
and I get

code:
FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.18-suspend2-r1/kernel/drivers
/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Unknown symbol 
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
when I use dmesg I get an error at the bottom:

code:
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <jketreno@linux.intel.com>
bcm43xx: Unknown symbol hwrng_unregister
bcm43xx: Unknown symbol hwrng_register
I googled that and there was pretty much nothing so I have no idea what I did. Is there some better way to get wireless working or did I probably screw up my installation somewhere?

This error looks like the module was compiled for a version of the kernel which had hardware random number generator support, and the kernel that you are running was not compiled with hardware random number generator support. In general, modules have to be loaded into exactly the kernel that they were compiled against - any deviation will often cause errors like this.

Did you reboot after re-compiling the kernel to load the new one?

Did you forget a step when re-compiling your kernel (such as make modules, or make modules install)?

Did you do anything else weird?

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

hooah posted:

I tried to change the default OS in Grub (editing menu.lst), but the text editor said I don't have permission. Ok, pull up the terminal, sudo edit the file, and I get this response:

code:
Warning: unknown mime-type for "menu.lst" -- using "application/*"
Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"
I'm new to Linux, but I think this is telling me that the terminal doesn't know what program to use to edit this file. If this is right, how can I fix that? If not, how can I edit the file?

The MS-DOS EDIT program does not exist in linux. I don't know what the "edit" executable on your system is, but it seems like it has to do with e-mail, which is not what you want.

You want to use an editor such as vi, emacs, pico, nano, etc. Pico or Nano will probably be the most intuitive for a new user who just wants to quickly edit a config file. Try "sudo nano menu.lst"

Edit: Or you can use whatever GUI editor you're used to, like "sudo gedit menu.lst" (or kate, or whatever you use in place of gedit).

Smackbilly fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 21, 2007

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Your Japanese Dad posted:

When I was running the newest Ubuntu release I was having some stability issues. Random lockups where the whole system would freeze hard, and of course my logs never showed anything. However I've moved to Fedora 9 and have not had any of the problems. I really like how Ubuntu worked, and I'm sure I could just go back to 7.10, but I've gotten to the point to where it's all the same to me at this point.

Oddly enough I had the exact opposite issue. I had been using Fedora since 6, and when I installed 9 (among other more minor issues) I would get random lockups, freezes, and reboots. I didn't really bother to investigate it, though. I figured it was a good excuse to try out Ubuntu, and I like it quite a bit so far - and no freezes.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
Does anyone else experience the problem with Amarok where the episodes of a podcast show up in pretty much random order?

When I subscribe to a podcast, the episodes under the podcast heading in the playlist sidebar show up in seemingly random order, and they re-shuffle randomly every time I click the "playlists" header (the one which should alternate sorting between forward and reverse order).

Does anyone know what causes this and/or how to fix it? This makes the "keep only x episodes of a podcast" option entirely useless because it will basically end up keeping x randomly selected episodes, rather than the most recent x episodes.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Im using Ubuntu 8.04 and when I delete something it will tell me that it cant be moved to the trash so do I want to delete it immediately and I click yes and then it says that it cant be deleted at all. So Im stuck with some files that I cant remove. Any help?

Try deleting it from the command line (using rm <file>), which may work, or may at least give you a more informative error message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001

Onken posted:

Hey is there any way I can use the command line "zip" program to batch-zip a folder worth of files into seperate zip files? Or do I need another program for that? Cheers.

You could use a simple loop

code:
for i in * ; do zip "$i" "$i" ; done
execute in the directory in question. For each file it will create a corresponding zip file with the same name and the .zip extension. It will not remove existing files. You can add options to the zip command to get the behavior you want, if different (man zip).