Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrWasabi
Sep 15, 2011
I have a linux programming question, I am not sure if this is the right thread.

I'm trying to teach myself bash programming, using ubuntu 11.10. I've followed some website or another (forget the name). I made a script, gave it propor permissions via chmod, set up my /bin folder as a path. At first I was able to execute "my_script" via command line, and then I ran into a hung-up terminal from launching gedit from same command line. Now, I'm not sure how to kill whatever process (in this case gedit I suppose?) without just clicking "x" on the terminal. Things have not gone well. now I cannot run any of my bash scripts from my terminal. It just says "command not found". I tried running it as ./my_script in its folder with same results.

1) how do I locate hung-up process and kill it via terminal commands?

2) did I break bash by incorrectly ending a process?

update: I'm an idiot. I rebooted and was fine. For sure I rather should have thought of that as solution #1. Oh well - for those that have my woes.. reboot, my friends. Reboot.

DrWasabi fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU