Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Is there a way to get the Gnome menu to behave like the windows start menu, where I can right click on a menu item and view the properties right there, rather than having to go through the menu editor? It's not a huge deal, but now and then I need to check the actual executable name for a program, and coming from a Windows background I'm used to just right clicking on the shortcut and viewing the properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

I've got an issue with my Ubuntu (Feisty) install that is driving me insane, and I have no idea where to begin tracking it down. It seems like with every kernel update it changes it's mind about what device my /home drive is. My /home is a 160GB IDE drive which is primary slave. After the initial upgrade, it decided to change it from /dev/hdb1 (where you'd expect it to be) to /dev/sdb1. Since then, every kernel upgrade it seems like it flips from one to the other. My root and swap partitions are fine, but /home can't decide where it wants to be. Looking at my /etc/fstab, I'm thinking it might be because / and the swap partitions are referred to by UUID and not /dev/* like my home dir is.

Am I on the right track here?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

dfn_doe posted:

So, what is the problem? Sometime during the last several kernel revisions the SATA drivers got moved around into their own sub-system and some chipsets which were running in legacy ide emulation mode got their own native mode. So, different drivers are controlling different hardware and in some cases running it in different ways. Ubuntu addresses each device by it's uuid as you've noticed, which effectively makes the changes transparent to the end user in most situations.

So, why does it matter to you that the device names changed? Does it break something you are using the machine for? Or is it just an annoyance?

Sorry, I guess I should've made that more clear. I was going to just ask why the device names were changing, but in the middle of writing my post/doing some poking around for details I discovered UUID/dev disparity and sorta lost my train of thought. :/

The problem is that when the device name changes, my entry for /home in /etc/fstab is pointing to the wrong spot, which means that /home doesn't get automounted during boot. So when I go to log in, Gnome doesn't know where my home dir is until I log into a failsafe terminal session and edit fstab/mount the drive, then I can log out and log back in to a normal Gnome session. If it weren't for that, I'd be blissfully unaware that anything was changing. Guess I just need to change my fstab entry to point to the UUID then, right?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

bmoyles posted:

Using synergy. Ubuntu gutsy box as master, Windows lappy as slave. Since I'm using Gutsy, I'm using gnome-screensaver, so the screensaver sync stuff doesn't work. That's fine. I lock both screens individually when I go away. Problem is, when I lock the windows screen, it's as if Synergy stops listening at all and I can't get over to the windows side to ctrl-alt-del and unlock without using a physical keyboard. Googling doesn't turn up much on this... Any ideas? Should I just yank gnome-screensaver and throw xscreensaver in there?

That's odd. I'm using the exact same setup and have never had that problem.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Jesus Stick posted:

I want to install Windows on one of the 160's, and Ubuntu 7.10 on the 80 GB. I want to be able to boot from either from when my computer starts up. How do I do this?

deimos posted:

Ubuntu should automagically set up grub to boot both Windows and Ubuntu regardless of what drive they're installed in.

And if for some reason it doesn't, your BIOS may provide a less elegant but workable solution. Mine lets me specify multiple HDs in the boot order, and combined with the "select boot device" key provides a ghetto way to boot between multiple OSes installed in different drives.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

iamstinky posted:

Does anyone know of a linux app that will allow me to convert saved .msg files (Outlook emails) to HTML or PDF? It doesn't have to be free either.

If you don't mind the command line, google turned up this perl script.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Grey Area posted:

What distribution are you using? The GDM/KDM control panel should be installed by default on most distros. For GNOME systems it's called gdmsetup

Ubuntu has a program called startupmanager that can change your boot settings. I don't know about other distros.

Whoa, I didn't know this existed. I've got Gnome, KDE, and XFCE installed on my Ubuntu box. They were installed at different times, so I think right now I've got the Kubuntu boot screen, and XFCE GDM graphics, and I'm actually running Gnome. This should provide an easy way to set everything back to the Gnome stuff.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

deong posted:

Whats a good X emulator for windows?
All that I use it for is x forwarding via putty. Currently I use Cygwin, but it seems like over kill for my needs. I just want something small and light weight that I can forward my session over. Is cygwin as light weight as it gets?

I've had good results with Xming.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

This isn't really a linux specific question, but I figure this is probably the best place to ask. Are there any alternatives to Synergy? Needs to be cross platform (at least Win and Linux) like Synergy and have the same ability to let you use one keyboard/mouse between multiple systems with discrete monitors. I'm having all sorts of issues with the Synergy server (linux) randomly losing the connection to the client (XP). Sometimes I've got to restart Synergy on the client to get everything working again, sometimes I've got to restart the server. This has happened with two different Windows clients and with two different distributions (Ubuntu and Arch) on the server, and it's completely sporadic. Sometimes I can go days without any issues and others I've got to restart the client and/or server several times in one day. Any suggestions?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Sartak posted:

Gnome and KDE have different looks and feels. Different things are customizable. They come with different applications. Do a google image search for both and you can see which you like better.

I prefer KDE but it's really a preference. If you don't care either way you might as well go Gnome as it's the default.

Yeah, look at some screenshots and decide which you think you'll like better. After you install if you don't like it or just want to see if the grass is greener, you can always install the other by going into Synaptic/Adept and installing ubuntu-desktop/kubuntu-desktop.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

How the hell does one go about getting Xubuntu (8.10) to go through the X.org autoconfiguration routine again? I've tried the two tricks I used to be able to use in the past (`dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg` and booting into recovery mode and running `xfix`) and neither one is making a bit of difference. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree to find a solution for my problem though. Basically, I suspected another system here (with very similar hardware to the linux box in question) was having hardware issues, so I swapped drives between the two to test that theory. Result of this experiment? The other system (Windows) is running fine on the hardware from the linux box, and the Linux box is happily running on what I thought was suspect hardware from the Windows box. Well, happily other than the fact that it's stuck at 800x600. Both systems were running the same chipsets and similar processors and all that jazz, but had different video cards; Linux was originally an old-rear end Nvidia something or other, and now it's got a Matrox G400. As far as I can tell the G400 is being detected in so far as the Matrox drivers are being loaded into the kernel and all that, but X doesn't seem to think the card can do anything other than 800x600, which is obviously BS. I guess worst case I could go old school and hand edit xorg.conf to fix it, but surely there's got to be an easy way to tell Xubuntu "hey, there's a new video card here now, why don't you go find what it's capable of and reconfigure X for me?", right?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Original xorg.conf:

code:
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Neither of those made a difference. Deleting xorg.conf and running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (or xfix from the recovery menu) just created the exact same xorg.conf as above. This system has been through a few ubuntu upgrades and still had the old xorg.conf laying around from before I upgraded it to 8.10. I took a look at that and it was a proper xorg.conf with the drivers and modes and all that specified in the file, instead of all this "Configured Device" nonsense. I tried starting X with that, knowing full well it'd fail because it wasn't loading the right driver; at least that would bring up the failsafe X mode and hopefully allow me to regenerate a new xorg.conf that actually worked. No such luck. The generic one was the same what I posted above, and telling it to generate a new one for the current hardware just failed with a nondescript "could not generate config for hardware" error.

What I finally ended up doing is just copying over that old 8.04 xorg.conf and changing the driver from "nv" to "mga" and it's working fine. And in the past, with an old-school xorg.conf, that's exactly what I would've done. Maybe it's just a fluke/bug due to the two or three dist-upgrades this system has been through, but I can't believe there's not an easy way to generate a new X config when you upgrade/replace the video card.

edit: Looks like I left out/glossed over the results of the deleting xorg.conf test. X started up fine (even after a full reboot), and the system was still stuck at 800x600 like it was with the above xorg.conf. I forgot to copy down the xrandr output, but it basically just said the max/current screen sizes were both 800x600, the default screen size was 800x600, and that 800x600 was the highest resolution it would run.

chizad fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Ferg posted:

Is there any way to have GDM log straight into a Windows domain? I'd like to move my work machine over to Ubuntu, but for PCI compliance I need to be logged into the domain at all times. I know that Samba can register onto a domain, but I'm needing the entire login process to go through Samba as well.

If you're using Ubuntu (or another distro that has packages for it), you can install likewise-open and use that to join your machine to the domain. It handles all the behind the scenes stuff chryst was talking about, plus UID/GID mappings and all that other fun stuff. In my limited testing, it really didn't work any differently from logging on to a Windows box.