Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Crush posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up in a previous thread, but how does flasg run for you guys? What version of flash and what linux distro are you using?

I ask because I am on a FreeBSD machine which doesn't have native flash support so I have to use the hacked up linux versions in ports that have trouble with video and audio gettings out of sync.

Running Ubuntu Feisty, and I'm using the Flash 9 Beta. Works just as well as it does in Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Well, I've been running Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) for a bit, and finally did a fresh install of Kubuntu 7.04. I have to say, this one is a big improvement on the KDE side. I wasn't too happy with previous versions of Kubuntu (nothing seemed right, system seemed sluggish) but this version really works well. I'm continually shocked on how well Ubuntu in general has been progressing, as every version just gets better and better. I was impressed enough with Dapper, then again I was impressed with Edgy. However, Feisty doesn't seem like it is as big of a leap, but as far as laptop support goes, everything is top notch.

The only downfall I can see is that the new Xorg 7.2 has some issues with the i810 drivers (for integrated Intel graphics), so things like Beryl and Compiz run slower compared to what was going on in Edgy. I don't like using the 3D desktops for every day use, so it doesn't matter to me, but you might want to keep an eye out for that if you are looking into upgrading.

Every six months Ubuntu really progresses, I'm interested to see where it goes next.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Z-Bo posted:

On his Planet KDE blog, James Ots mentions If you're in the USA it might be illegal to download my file, so this file is only for people who live in free countries. Or at least semi-free countries, like the UK.

What? I don't understand this. Is he kidding? I know there are USA restrictions on exporting crypotography still, and also restrictions via DMCA, but I fail to see how either of these apply here. Any ideas?

It's a ClearType thing. Apple and Microsoft are the only ones who are allowed to use a certain type subpixel smoothing, due to software patents. So basically it's against the law to use a particular method of displaying fonts in the U.S. Makes perfect sense, eh? Of course not, like most software patents.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

OK I ran this line
rpm -qa 'kernel*' --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n"|sort

to list my kernel and got two results and a kernel headers thing. so Im not really feeling good about updating just yet. Infact, I wanted to ask someone about why there were two boot options for FC in my grub after I did the first system update.

That's because they are different kernel versions. They keep the old one in case the new kernel doesn't boot into your system for some reason, so you can go back to an older version.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Technowrite posted:

Dumb question time for me!

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times over, but my endless Internet searching has lead me to websites where I don't exactly understand how to implement the change. I'm talking about SAMBA!

Okay, so I have a laptop with some files on it that I want to transfer to my new Ubuntu Linux machine. This new machine is going to be where I store all of my files, so I want to start by stashing about 20GB-40GB worth of stuff on it from my laptop.

Does anyone know of a website with a step-by-step process on how to get SAMBA working correctly? Every website I've come up with is even too difficult for me to understand, and I've been using computers for 13+ years now. :(

Is the laptop a Windows machine? If so, and the new Ubuntu machine has the newest version (this may be true on older versions as well), and you are using Gnome, simply right click on a folder and click "Share". All too easy, isn't it?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rookieone posted:

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Oh don't suggest pro-ftpd I didn't get it :(

mc's ftp client is pretty terrible, and you should really be using lftp over ncftp anyways. See what happens then. If that doesn't work, turn off PASV mode in lftp and try again.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

JoeNotCharles posted:

Why is lftp better than ncftp?

While they both offer a command line interface, lftp's back end and connection handling is mounds better.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

JoeNotCharles posted:

You really need to try something like ion.

I know you were trying to find something obscure here, but I just installed ion2 and have been playing around with it. I actually really like it. Very minimal, and very quick. I like not having to click anything except while in firefox.

My girlfriend is going to hate me when she tries to look up something on my computer.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Col posted:

Assuming you're not stuck in the console, have you tried Opera? It's been designed to be pretty awesome re accessibility and you can browse easily without a mouse. After an evening of doing it when my mouse broke, I was almost as fast as with a mouse and actually faster in many cases (due to link jumping for example).

See http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/nomouse/

Also, an efficient keyboard layout will help speed you up even more, the Literary Moose has a particularly extreme one that you can download here:

http://lofotenmoose.info/opera/

But you'll probably want to try without before you revamp the keyboard shortcuts so entirely. Unfortunately I can't find moose's keyboard map diagram on his new site :(

Thanks for this information. I'm seeing how fast I can do everything without using the mouse. I've never really played with Opera before, but it seems like a nice browser. I just moved to ion3 and so far I'm loving it. I never realized how I didn't actually need floating windows.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

JoeNotCharles posted:

No I wasn't - I use ion at work. It's awesome for programming.

It's pretty awesome for even day to day use. Works pretty well, as I find I really don't need a windowed gui. However, is there a way to split a root frame? For example, I split the frame horizontally, and then I want to create a third frame on the right side. Is it possible to do this?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

JoeNotCharles posted:

I don't believe so - the only way I know is to move all the tabs out, out of the bottom frame, close it, and then do the vertical split first and then re-do the horizontal split. You could probably make a macro using Lua that does this automatically, but it'd be a bit of work.

There are a couple of other things I dislike about ion. For instance, I don't see any reason modal dialogs shouldn't show up as separate tabs that can be moved from frame to frame - often a dialog will pop up and I'll want to see what's behind it, and I just can't. I've been meaning to take a look at some of the other tab-and-pane window managers, but I've just never gotten around to it.

I've just tried out wmii as mentioned above, and it works out pretty damned well. It seems to handle window management a bit quicker then ion does. I've only used ion for a bit, but I've seemed to already picked up on the commands pretty quickly. Also, it allows me to generate columns on the fly and that makes me happy. :)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'll tell you what, after using wmii as my window manager for over a week now, I love it. Not having window borders or windows to drag around enables me to focus on content instead of aesthetics. I love it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Al Azif posted:

A window manager that actually manages windows, what a concept! I just wish ruby-wmii supported wmii-3.6.

Me too, but for now I can handle simple shell scripting. I don't really do a lot of changing to wmii's basic settings.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

ColdPie posted:

Wow, Arch is pretty awesome. I got the box almost completely set up in about 5 hours between last night and this morning. It's got sshd, an FTP daemon, svnserve, all up and running nicely. This is the easiest Linux install I've ever done :) May be in part to it being such a simple setup in the first place, but I really like the way Arch does things.

I was curious about Arch. Are you using it as a server or desktop?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

bitprophet posted:

From his original post, it sounds like he'll be using it as a fileserver mostly :) I gather that most Arch users use it on the desktop, but IMHO that's just coincidental and is not due to any overt design decisions made during the creation of the distro; many Archers use it on the server as well as/instead of on the desktop.

I may give it a shot later on then. Thanks for the heads up.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

skroll posted:

I may give it a shot later on then. Thanks for the heads up.

Posting from my Arch install. :c00l:

It's pretty neat, it only took a bit of fanaggling to get DRI working, but really it's not all that difficult. It really does give you a bare bones system to work with.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Toiletbrush posted:

It's now months that I'm not on Windows anymore, and my fingers are itching to dabble a bit around in fun coding again. Preferably would be to go with what I know already, that'd be DotNet. However it wouldn't make sense if it isn't really accepted on the platform. So, how popular or accepted is Mono in the Linux world?

It's getting there, take a look at Beagle.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

bitprophet posted:

Congrats! :hfive: Hope you like it.

I'm actually loving it. It took me a few minutes to get my laptop to wake up after I close the lid, but it wasn't all that hard. I have mpd working smooth, and it's permissions work out correct (which turned out to be a bitch in Fedora 7).

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
So I've heard about Pulseaudio for quite awhile, and kept wondering "Why do we need another sound server?" but finally tried it out yesterday. All I can say is: Pulseaudio rocks.

The main reason is the fact that the volume controller allows you to adjust the volume in the software mixer of everything by program. It's pretty slick, and on top of that it supports proper ALSA and OSS emulation, so it works almost all around the board. However, most apps that I use have support for Pulseaudio, such as mpd. I even managed to get Flash using Pulseaudio by compiling the libflashsupport libraries.

I've been running Arch Linux, but I can see why Ubuntu and Fedora plan on moving to Pulseaudio.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

jstultz posted:

Two questions, both regarding sound/music in Linux (debian etch, specifically, but probably not relevant).

First, what do people recommend for a good music program? I'm guessing most people use an mpd client of some sort? I've got mpd running and have tried pympd and sonata, which are both alright but don't seem all that polished. I don't like the way that sonata deals with the library, and pympd seems to choke on the size of my library (when I go to database and click "all", nothing ever shows up.)

Is mpd generally the way to go? If so, what clients do people recommend? Otherwise, what other programs are good? Rhythmbox came preinstalled, is that any good?

Second question; I noticed that the sound quality on my mp3s is seriously lacking. I haven't noticed any quality issues while watching videos, but sound from music is very scratchy, as if the signal is clipped, and it seems to sound the same on any program I run it with. Could this just be the result of a lovely decoder or what? It's odd, I'm sure that the files themselves are fine, as they sounded fine when I play them on my ipod or in itunes in windows. Ideas?

I use mpd with gmpc as a front end. It works great.

Second, are you using ALSA with software sound mixing (dmix)? First issue to check is to see if your volume levels in alsamixer are causing any gain. You want to bring down the PCM/Master levels until the Gain dB = 0. Also, from what I've heard (from various sources and wikis), is that ALSA's software mixing noticably degrades sound performance. This is one of the reasons distros (Ubuntu, Fedora) are moving to Pulseaudio. I set it up, and it works great, and it does seem to do a better job of software mixing. On top of that, you can set the volume for each individual program at the sound server level, instead of just overall.

Magicmat posted:

Is there any way to convert console colored text into HTML? I have a script which takes the output of an emerge update command and e-mails it to me. It would be super-helpful if the color coding I see on the console could carry over into an e-mail. I searched around, but didn't find any way to do this.

If there's not anything natively, it wouldn't be very hard to do something with sed. In fact, it should be quite easy.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Col posted:

Does anyone know if its possible to get an active desktop in Linux (preferably Gnome) similar to tsdesk? (large screenshot here) and site URL here.

The feature I really want is the note-taking panes at the top right - clicking in them allows typing and clicking out of them automatically saves the note in a text file.

Anyone seen anything like this in Linux? I can't seem to get Gnome to accept anything other than an image file as the background.

It's actually fairly trivial, you're just going about it the wrong way. Check out gDesklets, I'm sure there is something in there you may find suitable. In fact, if you are using Ubuntu it's a piece of cake to install.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

jstultz posted:

Yes, I'm using ALSA, but how do I tell if I'm using software sound mixing?

Additionally, how can I tell what the gain is? I don't see it displayed anywhere. If I open alsamixer, if I bring Master and PCM down to 35, the volume level bars are all white, does that indicate 0 gain? (I've got no idea) But when I do that, the sound levels to my speakers are ridiculously low (I turn the speaker volume all the way up and can't hear it more than 5 feet from my desk).

How is it that alsamixer is this widespread and popular and yet sucks so much?

Because you don't want to have to use OSS. Also, it should say in the upper left of the alsamixer screen what the gain is. I'm not sure off hand how to tell if you are using the software mixer (dmix) but if you are using any sort of integrated sound you can bet you are.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

TreFitty posted:

What would you guys recommend for me and my driver-install-hating self?

Try Ubuntu 7.04. The Intel 3945ab will work out of the box, and that version is the newest that's not in alpha/beta. 7.10 comes out in October (the version numbering goes by <year>.<month>, 7.10 = October 2007), but is in alpha right now.

You really shouldn't have too much of a problem, depending on your video card (and even that is pretty trivial at this point).

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

TreFitty posted:

edit: ignore me, fixed my problem

I love Ubuntu, but it gave me trouble with my bluetooth mouse after an update - that's what I originally posted about

Did your wireless card work correctly out of the box?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

evilmonkeh posted:

I've only ever hosted websites on paid for web hosting before, and to point a domain at it all I did was change the domains name servers. I have a computer running ubuntu server which I want to host my website with, what is the best way to point my domain name at it? eg I would like to be able to setup sub domains etc.

To start you need a dns server (and usually two). You can either host your own, or you can use the custom dns services at https://www.dyndns.org. Not the dynamic dns services, but the actual custom dns server. If your IP is static and you are using the custom dns services at dyndns, you don't need a client to update your IP. If it does update, then you'll need to get a client to update it. Note that if your IP is nto static, there is no reason to host your own DNS servers.

Then you can point your domain at the DNS servers and you are there.

EDIT: zoneedit.com works pretty well also.

CRIP EATIN BREAD fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 17, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Leathal posted:

Alright I've been using Ubuntu as my main OS for about two months now and I'm finally ready to make it my permanent OS. Up until now, I've always had bad experiences with Linux, so I shoved this install on to a small (20gb) secondary partition on my secondary HDD. I'm very close to running out of space now, but resizing the secondary hard drive again isn't an option.

Is there any way I can move everything over to a new, bigger partition on the primary hard drive? I've spent a lot of time tweaking stuff on this install, and I'd really hate to have to do it all over.

Just back up /home/yourusername and /etc so you have all your configuration files. Then just nuke it and reinstall the packages you used.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Korgoth posted:

I just got a virtual Ubuntu server, and was wondering about any quick tips on hardening it up a bit?

Root login is already disabled, so that's good (I hope). Turn off any services you don't need. Set up denyhosts.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

teapot posted:

...and don't forget to update it.

That's always good advice as well. :)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

tehk posted:

Fedora 9 was released today! Here are some links

Going to give Fedora a shot again, anything in particular that sets this release apart from the previous ones?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/

Im about to get a new laptop and Im having trouble decided what to put on it, FC9 or Ubuntu 8.04. Im still using FC7 because I felt 8 was really buggy.

I saw this but the "New in Fedora" probably doesn't cover all of it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I know its a niggling complaint, but since Fedora 9 uses a pre-release version of X server, nvidia has not released drivers that work on it yet. I'll stick with Fedora, since I like the way it's working out so far, but hopefully these come out in the next month or two.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

tehk posted:

apt-cache search
As for the 'nvidia thing', someone mentioned issues with nvidia drivers above but I have not investigated it.

You can still use the nv driver but it still doesn't give you the same acceleration that the nvidia driver does. It just will take a little patience.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

tehk posted:

Yea the nv driver is free software(MIT license?) so it will work on most releases, I was referring to the nvidia binary driver as you mentioned.

Right. The binary driver still doesn't work but it should soon from what I've been reading.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
When I was running the newest Ubuntu release I was having some stability issues. Random lockups where the whole system would freeze hard, and of course my logs never showed anything. However I've moved to Fedora 9 and have not had any of the problems. I really like how Ubuntu worked, and I'm sure I could just go back to 7.10, but I've gotten to the point to where it's all the same to me at this point.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sparta posted:

I've decided to reformat my XP computer and install Ubuntu for good. I'm going to use Wine to get games/programs going, but I don't foresee any big changes.

I want to make this install as good as I can make it, so I ask you: What should I make sure I do in installing Ubuntu? I know I have to partition stuff, but I'm not sure what. Any guidance is welcomed.

If you haven't yet, make sure you put you make a separate partition for /home. That way when you want to change distros or upgrade, you can just nuke the root partition and keep all your data in your /home safe. It's a breeze to change or upgrade after you do this.

The Ubuntu installer doesn't do it for you, you have to do it yourself, but it's pretty easy. I would set aside around 15 gigs for your root partition, the usual for swap, and then let the rest go to /home.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Remote Viewer posted:

Can someone explain the utility of virtual desktops to me? Almost all flavors of Linux seem to have them, but I don't understand why I'd want to use more than one. That's what window controls are for, isn't it?

I use around 9 (3x3). One for a browser, one for eclipse, one for irssi/lftp/shell account, one for compiling whatever I'm doing in eclipse, and I toss various others around as well.

Having to constantly cycle through my windows (especially if there are a ton running) is cumbersome and wastes time organizing. I just like having a few windows laying around grouped based on what I use them for.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Smackbilly posted:

Oddly enough I had the exact opposite issue. I had been using Fedora since 6, and when I installed 9 (among other more minor issues) I would get random lockups, freezes, and reboots. I didn't really bother to investigate it, though. I figured it was a good excuse to try out Ubuntu, and I like it quite a bit so far - and no freezes.

I think it had to do with acpi because after running Ubuntu again passing the usual noapic acpi=off irqpoll in grub seemed to fix all those problems. Fedora was nice but not having nvidia drivers was frustrating. I've been running Ubuntu 8.04 for 24 hours straight and no hiccups now.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

Just installed FC9 on my new laptop and my initial reaction: meh. I feel like fedora peaked at 7. No Nvidia, lockups on start up and shutdown, cant get wireless working (tho I havent had too much time for this yet), and I cant seem to find any of the old menu items like login screen.

Also, maybe Im having at the wrong place but the fedora community loving sucks, Ubuntu's forums are thriving and have an answer to pretty much every question I have. Ill give Ubuntu another shot, I started on RHEL so Im kinda a fan boy...and its hard for me to try new things!

I've used redhat, gentoo, arch, pclinuxos, fedora and ubuntu. I can easily say that Ubuntu is by far the most pleasant to work with on a desktop because you never have to put much effort into it. Anyone who thinks that Ubuntu can't be a contender for the desktop is retarded.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

Whose saying Ubuntu cant be a contender? I installed Ubuntu and it actually had less support tho... Native resolution was 800x600 and Envy kept crashing so I couldn't install the nvidia drivers. Does the final version of 8.4 use the latest xorg? I dont want too but I think Im going back to the last generation distros until some Nvidia drivers come out.

Well I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and I have Nvidia drivers working on my 8800 GTS 640mb. Fedora is the only one with any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rugbert posted:

did they install out of the box? I have a nvidia 7150 thats giving me poo poo.

Well I started up the install, and it put me in the nv driver. Then it popped up and said I can use the restricted drivers, and I clicked the button and grabbed the .deb and installed it for me.