Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

A question regarding vsftpd.

Let's say I have a directory /home/grabulon/photos with several subdirectories.
I simply want the users to start there and only be allowed to read from "photos" and its subdirs.

What's the best way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Alowishus posted:

Set grabulon's home directory to /home/grabulon/photos and then enable chroot_local_user in vsftpd.

There are fancier ways as well, look at the chroot_list_enable (and matching chroot_list_file) settings, as well as passwd_chroot_enable for more pathing options.

But doesn't this mean that they have to login as "grabulon"? I want to create new users with access to my home directory...

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Alowishus posted:

Oh well you could create more users who also have /home/grabulon/photos as their home directories. You'd need to make sure they had rights to the files in there, probably by making a group.

Give us some more specifics about what you're trying to do and hopefully we can give you better guidance.

Well I don't know if I can explain it any better, networking and linux are evidently not my strong sides.

But what I was is to let one user (different from me) have access to one folder and its subdirs in my home directory and I want him to be able to download the contents of that folder. No write-access or anything.

Now that I think about it, I actually want him to have access to two different folders. One in my home directory and one on my windows partition (so for example /media/sda1/morephotos). Ideally I'd want it to be like in DC++ when you get someone's file list and you see the folders they share.

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

I have a large file (an XML document) and I want to remove a multiline string that is somewhere near the end of the file. How can I do this using sed that is faster than what I'm currently using:

code:
sed -e '/<tag>/,/<\/tag>/d'

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

I'm using rrdtool to plot some graphs, and I'm wondering if there are any downsides to never consolidate datapoints? I currently sample every 15 minutes and save the data for a year, and I'm thinking of extending it to five years. I probably never have to know the exact values in 15 minutes intervals from five years ago, but it would be nice to have the option of granularity. Anyway, the size of the database will obviously be larger, but are there any other downsides?