Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ian
Aug 12, 2003
I never noticed this problem in Windows but since converting this machine to Ubuntu the dvd-rom/cdrw drive has been giving me this problem:

quote:

[ 9211.816000] sr: Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[ 9211.816000] sr: Add. Sense: Focus servo failure
[ 9213.816000] sr0: CDROM (ioctl) error, command: Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 00

It blinks constantly and won't read any media.
Probably solely hardware -- nothing I can do software side, right?

fstab says this

quote:

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ian
Aug 12, 2003
In GNOME, all my applications have lost their top toolbar. Like in Firefox where it will say "Google" at the very top, that's gone -- for all apps. Any ideas?

ian
Aug 12, 2003

The Gay Bean posted:

What happens if you type:

code:
metacity &
in a terminal, or, failing that,

code:
gtk-window-decorator &
?

metacity --replace did the job, thank you!

ian
Aug 12, 2003
My laptop running ubuntu will sometimes shut down without being told to. It's plugged into AC power and seems to shut down randomly -- it does it with just Thunderbird open and the screensaver running (I wasn't at the computer), it did it today with Firefox open and a video playing (actively using the computer) ------ I can't figure it out. Just doing cat /var/log does not help me. What should I do in order to narrow down what is causing my problem?

edit: It doesn't hard shutdown, it goes the same as if I were to type shutdown -h now

ian
Aug 12, 2003
My notebook running Ubuntu keeps shutting down due to overheating.

Anyone have a recommendation for a docking station that will work in Linux to fan the laptop? thank you.