Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.
I haven't used Linux since 2001, and even then I was a novice, so bear with me. I decided to dual-boot Linux with XP for a while and see if I can get back in to it. I decided to go with Ubuntu.

I got all my disks ready and burned a copy of the Linux System Rescue CD so I could use Gparted to partition the drives. It boots fine, but when I type "startx", the monitor shuts down (Using Nvidia 5500 FX). I've been googling and looking through Wikis for two hours, and have found a bunch of people with the same problem, but nobody with a solution. I realize that the drivers hate Linux, and some people have mentioned editing the /etx/X11/xorg.conf file, but I'm having trouble even locating it, not sure if that even applies to me since I'm running it off a LiveCD.

So, I'm an idiot, but I'd like to try, suggestions are appreciated.

edit: So, I stopped being an idiot for a second and got in to editing the conf file with nano, but it was already set to vesa. When it's set like this, the display turns off. On a kick, I switched it to ati and it gave me the "No devices detected" and "No screens found" errors.

Still lost.

Envy Insanity fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

teapot posted:

If your live CD doesn't do it by itself, manually ser HorizSync and VertRefresh to whatever your monitor can understand. Most of live CDs (including Ubuntu "desktop" live/installer CD that you can also use to run gparted) do it automatically.

I did this and also set the driver to "nv", and it worked great. Thanks.