Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
is there a good alternative to fortune?

in addition to stupid formatting and crappy jokes, now i'm getting klingon proverbs

quote:

You speak of courage. Obviously you do not know the difference between
courage and foolhardiness. Always it is the brave ones who die, the soldiers.
-- Kor, the Klingon Commander, "Errand of Mercy",
stardate 3201.7

lunix :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

dfn_doe posted:

Read the man page for fortune... Bellieve it or not, most programs actually have good documentation....

Take your RTFM and stick it up your arse: I know that man page better than your mother and nothing there addresses the problems I mention.

I assume your next trick will be to tell me to write my own database of aphorisms.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

fuseiso isn't being terribly nice:

code:

mkdir ~/iso ; fuseiso ~/diskimage.iso ~/iso

[B]fuse: failed to exec fusermount: Permission denied[/B]

sudo chmod u+s `which fuseiso`

fuseiso ~/diskimage.iso ~/iso

[B]fusermount: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied[/B]

When i run sudo fuseiso ~/diskimage.iso ~/iso , only root has permission to read ~/iso even when it is owned by user :argh:

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

ok, this is kind of unusual.

On Ubuntu 7.04, I suddenly can't sudo.

code:
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo
usage: sudo -K | -L | -V | -h | -k | -l | -v
usage: sudo [-HPSb] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
            { -e file [...] | -i | -s | <command> }
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo -s
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo apt-get install fusesmb
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ groups
xxxx fuse
/etc/sudoers looked perfectly normal, with %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

running synaptic:

quote:

Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic as user root.

The underlying authorisation mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administrator.

what the heck happened

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

teapot posted:

Are you running as root after sudo -s ?

No, sudo does nothing in any form. Same goes for sudo -K ; sudo whatever.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

I have much confusion with unmounting with thunar on a new memory device. i already have run chmod u+s `which mount` `which umount` etc to give user permissions.

An older device, IPOD, mounts and unmounts fine via thunar as user. but the new device, KODAK_PC, cannot unmount well via thunar:

quote:

"Cannot unmount the volume 'KODAK_PC', Details: Cannot remove directory"

Permissions for devices and mount points are identical across the board, and IPOD has not had to be listed in fstab or anything else like that.

However, in /media/:

quote:

drwx------ 4 me root 4096 1970-01-01 01:00 IPOD
drwxr-xr-x 2 me me 4096 2007-05-07 12:14 iso
drwx------ 3 me root 16384 1970-01-01 01:00 KODAK_PC

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

It seems that Ubuntu has changed how it handles fonts since Dapper, and after an upgrade, /etc/fonts/local.conf no longer works.
Just being there should be enough as /etc/fonts/fonts.conf points to this.

I don't have the resources to run gnome well, so gnome-control-center is out of the question for this as a fix.

edit: This is strange.

I moved /etc/fonts/local.conf somewhere safe, and ran dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config.
This yielded a change in subpixel hinting style - except that I had selected 'never' for subpixel rendering.

I moved local.conf back into /etc/fonts/ and hinting was turned back on full for all fonts, despite there being explicit instructions in local.conf to change hinting style/turn hinting off.

Its confusing

-------------------

ok, seems like it only gives a poo poo for ~/.fonts.conf - as your local user settings. I'm using a crappy hack to turn off all antialiasing:
code:
<fontconfig><match target="font"><edit mode="assign" name="antialias" ><bool>false</bool></edit></match></fontconfig>
But I just can't see what is wrong with this (as ~/.fonts.conf) , or what could stop it from working. It seems pretty legal to me

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 5, 2007

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

I really should have permission.. what happened?

code:
root@Blah~$ ethstats
bash: /usr/bin/ethstats: Permission denied
root@Blah~$ ls -all /usr/bin/ethstats
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3501 2004-07-28 03:51 /usr/bin/ethstats

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

covener posted:

It's not executable.

Thanks! Funny how that happens to a fresh install..

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Why does every network monitor I find return its values in kilobytes? Isn't it rather arbitrary after rounding and so forth?

In an attempt to get a precise figure I am parsing /proc/net/dev but I am uncertain how correct my math is, or how proper using sleep between readings is, either.

code:
i=eth1; 
w=1 ; 
l=$(cat /proc/net/dev | grep $i | sed s/\\s\\s$i://); 
d1=$(echo $l | cut -d " " -f1); 
u1=$(echo $l | cut -d " " -f9);  
sleep $w;  
l=$(cat /proc/net/dev | grep $i | sed s/\\s\\s$i://); 
d2=$(echo $l | cut -d " " -f1); 
u2=$(echo $l | cut -d " " -f9); 
echo `echo down: $(((((d2-d1)*8)/1000)/$w)) Kbit/s \| up: $(((((u2-u1)*8)/1000)/$w)) Kbit/s over $w seconds | sed -e :a -e 's/\(.*[0-9]\)\([0-9]\{3\}\)/\1,\2/;ta'`
any ideas?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 2, 2007

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

whats the simplest way of finding an mp3 files bitrate on the commandline?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

thanks guys, seems that both are hit and miss, particularly with VBR bitrates (mpg321 will return the bitrate detected in blockN and file won't return anything).

tempted to try perl.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

I want to be able to run `mount -t cifs` as a user, on the fly. I don't want to have to specify the share in /etc/fstab (which is a stupid idea anyway).

code:
~$ mount -t cifs //192.168.1.2/bum /mnt/bum -o username=bum,password=slum,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,rw,iocharset=utf8

mount: only root can do that
Can I chmod the command to be user executable, and if so, how?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Grey Area posted:

You can use sudo to run a command as root.

edit: You want umount as well of course.

Thanks, that's some useful info on /etc/sudoers but basically I was looking for a way to mount without requiring a password.

Alowishus posted:

Are you saying it's stupid to put it in fstab due to the password info? If so, then there is a way to tell smbmount to reference a password in another file which can be restricted to root readable, though I'm not sure whether that will work in concert with the user option.

Not only the password issue but having to specify it prior in a root-only config file defeats the idea of being able to mount random shares on the fly.

I should clarify that I'm trying to mount network shares on the fly without root permission using cifs (because smbfs is awful in comparison). The mount point is (of course) owned by the user.

chmod'ding the bins used to work for me, but no longer :|

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Alowishus posted:

Second, are you *sure* that you changed the right binary files with the right chmod command? Straight from the 'mount.cifs' manpage - "It is possible to set the mode for mount.cifs to setuid root to allow non-root users to mount shares to directories for which they have write permission." That sounds like exactly what you want.

Yeah, I thought I had.

quote:

sudo chmod u+s `which mount` `which umount` `which mount.cifs` `which umount.cifs`

I'm not certain of my switches here but I'm sure this worked on the previous Ubuntu release

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Wow, thanks!
That's quite odd behaviour...

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

More Ubuntu permission fun: xsane won't detect my scanner unless I am root. Naturally this is a pain in the arse. How do I allow user access to this device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

I am trying to find how much space my flac files are taking up, but du returns "too many arguments" :argh: ( du -sch `find . -name *.flac` )

are there alternatives?