Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JoeNotCharles posted:

Updating my system just hosed my Gnome install (a couple of base packages are missing from the Ubuntu servers, so it's in an inconsistent state). Fine by me - I don't really care about the whole desktop bit, I run ion as my window manager. The one thing that I miss from uninstalling gnome is gnome-terminal.

I tried using Konsole for about 5 minutes, but my god, is it ever clunky. It takes ages to start up and I can't figure out how to turn off its extra window border. Does anybody know a *simple* terminal emulator written in Qt or Gtk+? (Or wxWidgets or whatever.)

Heh, I went over to Konsole on GNOME because I found gnome-term would really slow down when my system was under a heavy load. I'm happy with it after reconfiguring it a lot, but I guess this doesn't help you much. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ShortStack posted:

I'm using Kubuntu on my Compaq laptop. I have 915resolution installed and my screen resolution is currently 1280 x 800. I'm not sure if I can do this, or how I would go about doing it but is there a way I can set my resolution to 1440 x 900? I think that the max resolution is 1280 x 800, and I have my doubts as to if I can change this or not. Thanks :unsmith:

Have you seen http://absolutebeginner.wordpress.com/2006/08/20/absolute-beginner-guide-915resolution/ ? Seems to cover this case.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Digital Drifter posted:

Yeah I was looking at Debian and (K)ubuntu as well, one of my greatest motivators is something minimal that I can install and build up on.

You could do a custom install with only the ubuntu-minimal package and build up from there.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

percocets posted:

i'm having trouble installing ubuntu. I have the boot disc, but whenever I try to run Ubuntu from the disc my computer won't load anything but a blank salmon-colored screen and a cursor. Is the computer frozen, or is there something I should be doing when that screen comes up??

Sorry if this is a retarded question.

Try the alternate install disc - it installs Ubuntu in a text-mode installer that should work on more systems. What kind of computer are you using?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

percocets posted:

Thanks. Computer is a Dimension 2400, and to be honest I don't know the specs, as I just rescued it from the dumpster at work for the purpose of putting Linux on and playing around. I'm assuming 128 mb ram, and the hard drive is like 30 gigs.

Yep. One of the dumbest aspects of Ubuntu is that you need 192 MB to install using the graphical installer, or you've got to dig up the alternate CD. I don't know why they don't just put the textmode installer on the regular disc.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the command-line way to get system temperature? I remember using a simple command that gave the temp at a few different sensors, but I can't find that command now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. DNA posted:

I have a directory that contains several hundred other directories and in each is a handful of files of the same type. What is the best way to get all the files in the child directories into the parent? I'm using ubuntu, if that matters.

code:
find /parent -name "*.type" -exec mv -i {} /parent /;
This is a job for 'find', which is a horribly complicated but really useful utility. This command recursively finds all files under /parent that match the pattern "*.type", and then moves the matching files to /parent.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

juggalol posted:

For a long time, I've always used the "swap partition should be twice the amount of RAM populated in the system" rule when defining disk partitions for a new install.

I've recently put together a new machine and while it only has 2GB of RAM at the moment, I plan on upgrading it to either 4GB or 8GB in the next couple of months.

Assuming that I'll eventually load it up to 8GB (motherboard's max), would it really be necessary to define a 16GB swap partition? It seems like a full 16GB of disk space for the swap partition is overkill.

Am I correct in this thinking? And if so, what would be a more reasonable choice? I was thinking that 4GB sounds like a decent choice, but I'm just pulling that out of thin air.

I'll grant that a 16GB swap sounds pretty pointless, but what are you getting out of that 8GB? At this time, a program that expands to fill all that space seems either really esoteric (processing huge scientific datasets?) or just badly designed. And if you are running something that really uses all that much memory, you should make sure you have enough swap space for a worst-case scenario.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

lilbean posted:

acpitool -t should do it.

I didn't have that installed, but it seems to work well. Actually, I can just use 'acpi -t' to do the same thing.

e: Actually, the latter gives much lower numbers. Weird. But I doubt my processor is really idling at 85 C, so I think I'll believe acpi.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Captain Cool posted:

What are the panic keys in Linux? Ctrl-alt-backspace, any others to try in this situation? I've had it lock up before, but always in the gui. It was folding at the time, also running gaim, an idle azureus, and shareclip, which hasn't caused any problems before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You can get builds of Feisty now, and just upgrade them to the release version when it comes out. They aren't guaranteed to work, but I dist-upgraded from edgy without incident, and I'd expect very little to be broken this close to release. The Release Candidate ISO will be out in the next few days, if you want something official.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

tehk posted:

I wouldn't today. The 14.23 and 15.24 Kernels mess with some sata controllers(lock up at boot). They are going to have the 15.25 kernel up in like 8 hours(area depending). The RC was delayed because of this.

Heh, I was trying to do a regular apt-get upgrade today and I wasn't able to get the kernel image because I kept getting a 403. Guess that was on purpose.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

After restoring from suspend mode, I always need to run 'sudo ifdown eth1 && sudo ifup eth1' to reassociate my wireless card with the AP. Is there a way to automatically run this upon getting back from suspend? I suppose GNOME has a script that runs when restoring from suspend handle this, but I don't really know anything about the power management system. This is on Ubuntu 7.04.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Would someone be willing to give me a crash course in compiling and running a c program in KDE? I've got the latest release running, a program.c and makefile files(not written by me), but I can't seem to figure out how to get them up and running. It's been a long time time programming 101 and even then I only got my feet wet in java. I think I'm using the cc99 command for compiling in KDE, although I must be doing something wrong since the program kicks out a bunch of errors when compiling. If there's an easier way to do this than the KDE compiler someone please let me know. Could someone just write up a quick how-to, if that's even possible?

KDE doesn't have anything to do with compiling. Linux systems generally use the GCC compiler, which is presumably what you have - c99 is just a frontend to the compiler which is used for compiling C programs. But if you have a makefile, don't run the compiler directly - the makefile contains commands for intelligently compiling the program based on the environment. Try just running 'make' in the appropriate folder - you might have to run 'make install' to install the binary.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

minute posted:

Well, I finally got MPD installed. I want to create a launcher for sonata on my panel, but I can't find the icon for sonata. Is there a way to find icons for various programs?

Try searching for .xpm and .svg files in sonata's data folder, probably in /usr/share/sonata.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have my Feisty laptop set up to suspend when I close the lid, which is swell. But when the laptop is opened (say, by the security guy at the airport) and closed, it doesn't suspend again, because I haven't logged in to my GNOME session, and it sits around at full power, burning through the battery.

I'd like to fix this problem, but there's plenty of other power management junk I haven't figured out yet, like how to get hibernate working. Is there a guide somewhere to getting GNOME Power Manager, or power management in general, to behave more sanely?

edit: Ha, googling for more info on this turned up the GPM developer, who can't get his laptop to work. I don't like smarmy comments about open source, but...

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 1, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tracer Tong posted:

I have a Dell 1501, Turion 64, Ati el-cheapo with shared video ram. I installed Debian Etch after being disapointed with ubuntu. The various function keys worked fine in ubuntu + gnome. Screen brightness, volume control, cd tray eject, etc. In etch they do not. I manually binded a few but there is no way I can figure to control the screen brightness (which randomly sets its level).

How does one control the screen brightness, for christ's sake. I miss the days with analog controls.

Heh, let me know if you figure this one out. In theory this is abstracted through an ACPI manager program, but I'm having a hell of a time actually getting one of them to do what I want, because Ubuntu apparently controls it all through scripts I can't seem to find.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fletcher posted:

20,000 files in an uploads directory, i want to chmod all the ones that aren't 0644 to 0644. how do i do this?

chmod 0644 *.* yields "-bash: //bin/chmod: Argument list too long"

code:
find -true -exec chmod 0664 {} \;
I originally posted a commang to pass the files to chmod via stdout, but I don't think that's allowed.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 13, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fletcher posted:

awesome, thanks!

how about one to change all the files that are owned by user1 to user2?

code:
find -user user1 -exec chown user2 {} \;
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Find - very useful utility. Of course, in this case it might be simpler to just apply 'chown -R' to change all the files in the directory, but this is a more literal approach.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 13, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does anyone else use Konsole on GNOME? For me, there's an annoying effect where switching desktops always causes Konsole to try to grab focus, making its taskbar icon blink. Do others see this bug?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

dfn_doe posted:

I see that on one of my ubuntu 7.04 boxes... not sure what the root cause is though...

Seems like a bug in Konsole or Metacity.

e: filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/114740

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 15, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Marmot Whisperer posted:

A few years ago I used Rhythmbox to rip a cd. I've since lost that cd (rare ep of a local seattle band; it was out of print when I bought it 7 years ago). Nothing except for Rhythmbox will play those mp3. All I get is a short, high pitched screech.

I got around the problem by just burning a new cd from those mp3s in Rhythmbox, but I'm wondering what's up with Rhythmbox's ripping capabilities? It just uses sound juicer, so I don't see why there should have been any problem in the first place.

Sounds like a problem with encoding, not ripping. What mp3 encoder is Rhythmbox set to use?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In Emacs, is there any way to map Escape to a function? I tried (define-key global-map [ESC] 'keyboard-escape-quit), but it doesn't work. I think this is because [ESC x] is a synonym for [M-x], but I don't need it to work like that.

Marmot Whisperer posted:

Unfortunately, I don't know, but I assume it was LAME. I did this on an older laptop that I no longer have. Every CD I ripped with it through Rhythmbox will only play in Rhythmbox. I guess it's kind of a moot point, now.

Yeah, but if the mp3s are playable I bet they can be fixed. Upload one and post it here or in a new thread.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Twiggy794 posted:

It should. Just do a
code:
modprobe agpgart
as root. Though what I would suggest is you add the correct driver you're looking for your your Xorg.conf, then reboot. That should load up agpgart automatically if it isn't already (type lsmod and see if it's listed there).

Incidentally, it's included with Ubuntu's kernel, like most other widely-used modules.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tipps posted:

I've been running Ubuntu 7.04 on this laptop here for about a month, and everything's been going more or less smoothly since. There's just one thing that been bugging me. Ever since I installed it, my speakers have been really really lovely. I dont know if it's because my sound card is incompatible with it or something, but even with the volume at 100% the sound can barely be heard. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, but if there's a way to fix it that would be cool too :shobon:

Actually I have another question - a really fantastically stupid one. I want to install Hamachi (on the linux comp) so i can set up a network between my computers, but I dont know how to install it. I download the file, but dont know how to install it :downs: . The readme file explaining the installation is here, but I dont even know how to do the first step. I'm such a noob :sweatdrop:

According to the readme, this program must be compiled, installed, and launched from the command line. That means you'll need a little familiarity with CLI commands. There's a zillion little guides to CLI on Linux -- my favorite is this guide.

Once you've figured out how to get around (read chapter 2 of that guide, at least) you can install the software. Open a terminal window (Applications > System Tools > Terminal). Browse to wherever you downloaded the file and uncompress it:

code:
$ tar -xvf hamachi_source.tar.xvf
Move to the directory that's been created and compile, install, and configure it:

code:
$ cd hamachi_source
$ sudo make install
$ sudo tuncfg
You'll need to act as root there to modify your system, which is why you use sudo.

After it's installed, you'll be able to run hamachi from the command line, from any directory. Just enter the commands the README specifies, such as 'hamachi-init' and 'hamachi start' to operate it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Toiletbrush posted:

Konsole probably requires various KDE libraries. KDE is a loving pain in the rear end to compile on Solaris :(

Indeed. I use Konsole under GNOME, and I'm unhappy that it seems to launch a bunch of KDE crap that's not getting used by any other program.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tipps posted:

Followed your instructions up until I tried to start the program, but got hit with:

code:
Cannot access lock file /home/alex/.hamachi//.lock
Google only turns up one thing: a person that has the same problem (and name :ninja: ) as me .

Everything I try turns into crap :saddowns:

If you're getting that error, try running hamachi as root.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tipps posted:

And now I learned what a root account is too, and why its deactivated by default in Ubuntu (everywhere you look there's large red-fonted warnings about how if you touch anything while logged into Root your computer will explode :sweatdrop: )

edit: although Hamachi will only run under the root account i guess? The Readme says to run tuncfg to make it accessible by all users, but even when it's running it still gives me that "locked" error message from earlier. =/

Ubuntu's focus on 'sudo' rather than 'su' is helpful, because it ensures you won't accidentally stay logged in as root and get into trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hamachi required root. I don't know about the technical details involved, but networking is usually something restricted to root.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

Can someone please explain the licensing of RedHat enterprise to me?

I'm at a loss here. Do you actually need to be licensed for the OS itself, or can it be freely distributed?

My understanding is that you can run and distribute the stuff all you like, but not for profit, and all you actually pay them for is support. They also don't offer the OS for download to anyone who doesn't subscribe.

Am I close or way off?

The fact that the only place other than redhat offering downloads of RHEL are :filez: type places leads me to believe I may not be getting the full picture here.

You can get the whole thing free off Red Hat's FTP, and because it's open-source you're not bound by any licensing stuff. But they're aggressive about their trademarks, so other distributors have to sell it without the Red Hat brand. Even CentOS refers to "a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor" as their source.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

covener posted:

Oh come on...

Fine, you're not restricted in modifying and redistributing the code, beyond the terms of the GPL? You know what I mean.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm having some trouble debugging a C++ program in GDB:

code:
(gdb) list TimeSeriesDisplay.h:368,372
368     template <class K, class lineage_t>
369     void TimeSeriesDisplay<K, lineage_t>::updateDisplay(double t0, double t1)
370     {
371       restartGnuplotLogFile();
(gdb) break TimeSeriesDisplay.h:370
No line 370 in file "Displays/TimeSeriesDisplay.h".
In short, GDB doesn't seem to know about the current files, and seems to believe that the code running is an older version. When I set a line breakpoint, GDB will sometimes think the breakpoint is in a function other than the one on that line number, because the other function used to be located there before I added some code.

This started happening suddenly the other day, but I don't know what I might have changed. The program compiles and runs correctly with the functionality I've added, so the object files must be working correctly. I'm using 'gcc -g', I've recompiled the program and all its needed libraries, etc., and it doesn't help. What's going on?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

teapot posted:

It is looking for file in the directory where the compiler took it from.

Unfortunately, I think the problem is deeper. That's the only TimeSeriesDisplay.h around, and GDB knows about it - maybe. It CAN set breakpoints in that header file, and in the other files the program is compiled with - but it acts as if those are older versions of the files, somehow? Let me give an example of how it's behaving:

Suppose I have a function threeFifty() at line 350 of Header.h. I start up GDB, and set a breakpoint at Header.h:350, and it works fine.

Now, I add some code near the beginning of Header.h, so that threeFifty() happens to be bumped down to line 400 of the file, and I recompile. Running it indicates that the new code is operational. But now I load it up in GDB, and again type "break Header.h:350", expecting that the breakpoint will be at a different place - but 'info breakpoints' indicates the breakpoint is at threeFifty() still. What the hell? And when I make the longer than the old version, GDB doesn't recognize the new lines - it won't let me set breakpoints beyond the EOF of the old version.

In these cases, the "old version" is apparently the same as the CVS version. Maybe it has something to do with that, but I'm not sure. I can't imagine that GDB would be looking files up elsewhere, though I'm sure I'm overlooking something dumb here.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Seaneseor posted:

I'm running Ubuntu (Feisty) and I can't figure out how to kill the "init" process.

I initially tried "sudo kill 1", but that didn't work.

Then I read in the kill man pages that it sends the signal SIGTERM by default and that processes could catch it. That's no good, maybe "init" is catching it. It then explained that the SIGKILL signal could not be caught.

So I tried "sudo kill -s SIGKILL 1", but that didn't work either.

Is "init" catching SIGKILL? Why won't "init" die?

Yes, init is allowed to ignore kill signals. Given that all processes ultimately derive from init, and killing a process generally kills its children, you can probably guess why that is.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Emacs 22 is finally released - the first major release in six years. The most notable feature is Gtk+ support, and there's a lot of nice features (more Unicode support, decent fonts under X, the god damned mouse wheel works) - see this overview. I got it to build from source fine, and there's a a Debian repository here that seems to work fine for Ubuntu as well.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Twiggy794 posted:

I've been using the unstable version of this for some time to get the font anti-aliasing. It looks great and really cleans up the interface.

Unfortunately, I think that branch is going to be Emacs 23, and the anti-aliasing isn't in 22. I spent a while trying to build that, and couldn't get the Xft support to work, but I found a good unstable snapshot here.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Scrios posted:

Does anybody know why Pidgin, compiled from source on Ubuntu, wouldn't allow reporting of idle time based on keyboard/mouse use? These are the only options I have. It's fairly strange and I can't think of what it would require for this.

Check the Makefile and INSTALL to make sure you weren't missing some compile-time option, or an optional library that makes that feature work.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

FrontLine posted:

This is more an AIX question then it is a Linux but I get the feeling the same solution will work on both.

I'm looking for the command to assign a directory a certain amount of size. I'd like assign a file called 'Jimmy' a maximum size of 9GB and it will show up as such when I run 'df -k'.

I can't tell what you mean, exactly. How would this be different from just creating a 9G file?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

bigperm posted:

This may seem like a stupid question, but how do I make shortcuts on my desktop in Ubuntu 7.04? It seems like this was a straight forward thing last time I install unbuntu (6) but now I have no idea! I just want to be able to get to my music folder from my desktop without it actually being in /home/desktop

In Nautilus, drag a file or folder to the desktop while holding Alt.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

Here's one of those niggling little tips that might make a huge difference for some of you. If you, like me, cannot stand the way CTRL+BACKSPACE erases the entire URL in Firefox (or otherwise does not work like it does in Windows), then I have a simple fix:

set layout.word_selection.stop_at_punctuation to true in about :config.

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I did not see it mentioned so far. Hopefully someone finds this useful. :)

Oh, thank God. I thought it was a GTK thing that couldn't be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

teapot posted:

GDB can be more or less integrated as well, however as I have mentioned many times if programming threads, debugger should not be used for development of new code, its use should be limited to reverse engineering and crash analysis.

What's wrong with debugging new code? Seems pretty useful to me.