Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
I play by my own rules, baby.
I want to set up what will be a specialized project running on Linux. This means that I want the most bare bones setup possible.

I was curious as to the exact components I need for my project, which I'll explain now. The project is actually a set of applications that will work in unison to create the appearance of an operating system separate of Linux. I have no interest in installing a lot of dependancies that are unimportant, I basically want the kernel and any other NECESSARY pieces as well as the appropriate hardware drivers.

However, forms and windows and images will have to be placed on the screen, so I assume X11/Xorg will also be necessary and for anything advanced would require Beryl or Compiz? I won't be developing the applications (thank God), but I'd rather be able to put together the necessary pieces right now so the developer I hire can simply roll out the image I provide and get it going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005

teapot posted:

Install a "server" configuration of Debian without actual servers, plus X11.

Compiz and Beryl are the MOST COMPLEX AND DEMANDING pieces of desktop environment made for X. If you want a minimalistic configuration, you probably need Window Maker or similar window manager. Even Xfce will be an overkill.

Well, I want to take advantage of some nice features and effects, the minimal aspect is in terms of the low level stuff (like the kernel). I'm not worried about the graphical aspect getting too complex, I'm just more interesting in allowing the applications to use some nice effects. I have the hardware to make it all work, but the most important part is the imaging aspect beyond the kernel.

As well, I'm not sure that I'm in over my head, I'm just learning the aspects that I'm not familiar with.

So, Compiz and Beryl, they're actually window managers and desktops and not just imaging tools (like Aqua).

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
I was just curious if it's just me or are Linux developers much more expensive? I'm trying to get a Linux project started and it's simply an application set that actually utilizes existing open source Linux projects. I tried the exact same project for Windows and got quotes around $450; the Linux version had quotes of $6500+ for the EXACT same thing.