Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I accidentally nuked my trash can icon on Feisty last night. How can I get it back (or create a shortcut that I can drag down to avast-window-navigator)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ubuntu 7.04 on a headless fileserver.

Question: I can mount my media drives to any directory I want - so, what's the best 'textbook' location to mount shared media such as mp3's and videos onto my machine? I'm tired of mixing up /media/sda2 and /media/sdb1; want to set more intelligible aliases but don't know where I should put them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

marcan posted:

Why is it such a big deal? There are several very good media players around in Linux. I'll take Amarok over iTunes any day. It supports the iPod as well.

This is likely why.

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/09/14/1831236.shtml

Apple starting to lock out non-iTunes sync clients on iPods.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've got a Feisty Desktop (but server-ized and streamlined) install with some NTFS drives for my stashed media (Pulled out of my old XP server). I'm getting silly "operation not permitted" errors when moving or altering files, evidently because it's not happy with preserving timestamps. I've done the setuid root shuffle, to no avail. It's just annoying.

Would I be better off nuking and going FAT32 with these drives? I want to maintain cross-compatibility.

Edit: Also, I want to migrate my install to a 2x 9gb scsi drive setup (/ and /home). I installed using the boring, vanilla Ubuntu CD. What sort of hoops am I going to have to jump through to get it sorted out? I figure format the drives, install grub (how?) and copy the partitions? Better done via a liveCD boot, perhaps?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Thank you, you rule so much.

My only concern is going to be the /dev/ names, as my disks are currently ID'd sda/sdb. I'll knock this out tonight, though!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'll admit it - I'm a longtime root abuser - but I've given up su/root in favor of sudo. Saves time (i've linked 'sd' to sudo for speed) and I can recap everything I do by grepping auth.log. Good poo poo, for sure, and I'm kicking myself for not complying sooner.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Trying to export a volume from Ubuntu 10.10 + iscsitarget -> Windows 7 Pro. I've determined that iscsitarget is only listening on lo; I can't directly connect but I can ssh to the server, set up a tunnel to 127.0.0.1:3260 and it will see/mount. Predicably, performance is awful. I want to sort this out. Any ideas?

I've added an entry for eth0 to etc/iscsi/iface/ but it's still not coming up, and from what I understand it should be auto-listen on all itnerfaces. Nmap confirms that 3260 is open on lo but not eth0.

Solved, had to append '-- --address BLURRED.PRIVATE.IP' to the end of the init.d script. Scrubbish, but works.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 17, 2011

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have a WEIRD problem that I need a hand with. It might be VM related or networking related. See if anybody can pick something out.

I have a Debian squeeze machine set up as a Xen host. I run nothing but vanilla squeeze VMs in it and use the xen-create-image utility to make the VMs.

All VMs and the primary NIC of the host are on 10.4.0.0/24 with a simple bridge on the host side to give all the VMs network. I also have a second nic on the host in 10.2.0.0/24 that is not bridged to the VMs. Both interfaces run into my pfSense router (both LAN interfaces, obviously). My main PC is in the 10.4.0.0 subnet as well. All machines and VMs are assigned fixed IPs via DHCP.

I can SSH around all I want between the host and VMs but here's the weird part - I get problems accessing these web servers from inside the 10.4.0.0 LAN. However, if I do a NAT rule from the outside through pfSense to whatever VM i'm working on, I can access it just fine from the outside Internet, going to my WAN IP and the NAT port.

And here's the REALLY weird part: It only happens with dynamically generated pages. I can pull index.html's and test static HTML pages all day long. But as soon as I try to access, say, ruTorrent or nagios or anything that isn't static HTML, none of those sites/pages will load.

Is this some obscure weird PHP flag or something that i'm missing? I cannot explain why it's doing this at all and it's driving me nuts and I feel stupid as poo poo not being able to figure it out. I have disabled iptables on the host and confirmed it is not in play.

I'm happy to post whatever extra logs/info/data is needed to troubleshoot.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bob Morales posted:

Is it because those other Pages are on different ports than 80?

No, everything is serving from port 80 on the LAN, and I have NAT rules going to my public IP ports (8080, 8081, etc). I've tried serving the sites internally using the 8080-range ports and had no change in behavior.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crush posted:

Sorry if this is not the best place to ask this, but I am interested in a job in Linux Server Administration. I recently got an e-mail stating the following:

What would you guys consider to be other "basic" linux commands? All I can think of is echo, ls, ps, kill, killall, head, tail, iptables, useradd, passwd, chsh, touch, echo, chown, chgrp, du, and df. Are there any others that my fellow goons can think of?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

I don't think it'd be too overkill to at least learn what every program in the Single Unix Specification does. If you have a head on your shoulders, it's then pretty much just a matter of learning your pipes and redirects and how to string poo poo together.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Second link's what I came back to post. I realize that Linux is rarely complaint with the SUS but it's a great baseline.

While I'm in here, I have been beating on my issue posted a couple pages back with no luck. Cliffs notes: ONLY dynamically generated pages on my Xen domU's at home are timing out when accessing from the LAN. They all work fine accessing via Internet with a NAT layer. I can ping and SSH between them, but for example SCP and other file transfers hang forever, be it domU to domU, domU to dom0, or LAN client to domU. Statically served pages are working fine. Suspecting some bizarre PHP reverse DNS or TCP/IP setting is at fault.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jonny 290 posted:

I have a WEIRD problem that I need a hand with. It might be VM related or networking related. See if anybody can pick something out.

I have a Debian squeeze machine set up as a Xen host. I run nothing but vanilla squeeze VMs in it and use the xen-create-image utility to make the VMs.

All VMs and the primary NIC of the host are on 10.4.0.0/24 with a simple bridge on the host side to give all the VMs network. I also have a second nic on the host in 10.2.0.0/24 that is not bridged to the VMs. Both interfaces run into my pfSense router (both LAN interfaces, obviously). My main PC is in the 10.4.0.0 subnet as well. All machines and VMs are assigned fixed IPs via DHCP.

I can SSH around all I want between the host and VMs but here's the weird part - I get problems accessing these web servers from inside the 10.4.0.0 LAN. However, if I do a NAT rule from the outside through pfSense to whatever VM i'm working on, I can access it just fine from the outside Internet, going to my WAN IP and the NAT port.

And here's the REALLY weird part: It only happens with dynamically generated pages. I can pull index.html's and test static HTML pages all day long. But as soon as I try to access, say, ruTorrent or nagios or anything that isn't static HTML, none of those sites/pages will load.

Is this some obscure weird PHP flag or something that i'm missing? I cannot explain why it's doing this at all and it's driving me nuts and I feel stupid as poo poo not being able to figure it out. I have disabled iptables on the host and confirmed it is not in play.

I'm happy to post whatever extra logs/info/data is needed to troubleshoot.

Figured it out.

protip: install ethtool on your domU's and run 'ethtool -K eth0 tx off' to turn off checksumming. Instant fix and all my stuff is available on the LAN and WAN now.