Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I'm trying to set up this PDF creator program in a Ubuntu server at work. It's a project for me to learn how to use this, something that's small and can be useful. At any rate, I'm stuck. Here are the instructions I'm trying to follow: http://www.n-view.net/yafpc/Setup_en.php#headline4
I think I've followed everything correctly, but I'm stuck at step #6, where it says I should do lp -d pdfwriter SomePsFile.ps. I get a "lp command not found", so I'm pretty sure I hosed up somewhere on the packages I needed to install... right? What the hell did I miss? What's lp? Oh god :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Here at work, I've set up a little computer with Ubuntu server. Its only role at the moment will be to provide a virtual printer that makes PDFs and all sorts of fancy stuff. I've got all that down, and working... and I'm failing at the actual printer part. :shobon:
The virtual printer is shared over the domain with SAMBA, and it's run with CUPS.
If I browse to this server from any windows machine on the domain, I can see it has a printer. I'm all excited, and want to add it to my list of network printers, and that's when it goes to poo poo, like this:

If I click on OK, I can find the drivers for the virtual printer that I've created*, and no matter how many times I change the printer make/model in CUPS, I still have the same problem when I try to add it from a Windows machine.

It's a problem because when the project is rolled out, there are 60+ employees who will need to add this printer, and most of them have no loving clue. So, it would need to be seamless. Even better, scripted.

* If i manually tell Windows what make/model the virtual printer is, everything works great.

So, how do I make the installation of this virtual printer easy on a Windows machine?

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 3, 2007

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Why is Gparted not letting me resize my NTFS partition? I have about 10Gbs of unallocated space that I need in the Windows partition... I thought it'd be easy to do this, but not so much when I can't click on "resize" :v: What am I missing here?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I figured as much, and tried to "unmount" it, but it wouldn't let me. Ah well, here I go to make a boot cd.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I'm trying to figure out some C code (basically a if (chmod (file,mode)) ). What is the return type of chmod, and more importantly, what's what? 1 true? or 0 is true?

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 23, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I deleted a user that no longer works with us from a Ubuntu server.
10 minutes later, I found a folder that apparently he had ownership of, and I can't get into it or do anything with it... and I need to get into it.

code:
na@gond:/mnt$ ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 2007-12-05 12:50 .
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 2007-11-20 13:33 ..
?---------  ? ?    ?       ?                ? backup
The folder in question is backup, and I have no clue how to go about getting into it.

I tried a "sudo chown na:admin backup"
But I got an error saying "chown: cannot access `backup': Input/output error"

Halp guyz :ohdear: