Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Snozzberry Smoothie
Jun 27, 2005

by Fragmaster

We recently acquired some old celeron 500mhz machines to place in our company warehouse. Tonight, I would like to install a lightweight Linux disto that will be sufficient for these old machines to browse our web-based warehouse software. I tried installing Ubuntu Feisty earlier, but couldn't get it to boot into the LiveCD.

Can someone recommend a distribution that would be quick and painless for an old machine to browse the net (with Firefox 2.0, due to all the web 2.0 poo poo), that'll also connect to our wireless access point straight out of the box (Ubuntu has no problem with this, using the wifi cards we have)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snozzberry Smoothie
Jun 27, 2005

by Fragmaster

I was wondering if there was a way that I could give the www-data group full permissions for the /dev/lp1 port, that would stay there when I reboot my server. I'm sick of chmod'ing it every time I boot up.

(It's for a line printer that my PHP app uses, before anyone asks why I want to do this weird thing).

Snozzberry Smoothie
Jun 27, 2005

by Fragmaster

I'd like some help with SSH. I want to give SCP access to a co-worker so that she can access her files on the Debian servers from home, but I'm a little concerned about security. How can I configure SSH on her account so that she cannot browse outside of her home directory? Logging into her account, I can go to the parent directory, and while most of the files have access denied, she can still view directories.

Snozzberry Smoothie
Jun 27, 2005

by Fragmaster

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I've found an solution to locking down SSH for the co-workers in question. Someone's written a shell script:
http://www.fuschlberger.net/program...tp-chroot-jail/

I didn't really have a full understanding of chroot jails prior to reading the source, but it's pretty straightforward and dead-easy now. I thought I'd post this in case other people wanted to know the solution.