Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Sorry if I sound ignorant but I don't really know the best place to ask so I thought I try here. I really want to learn Linux, at least enough to know my way around especially the command prompt. I've got Ubuntu installed since it looks like a more simpler way for a newbie like me to get into it (in fact it looks like this version has made it even simpler).

My question is how did you guys learn the fundamentals of Linux? Experimenting? Is there a good tutorial out there you guys recommend I can use for an introduction? I'm a slow learner so just installing applications and working with drivers is difficult for me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to load up CentOS and jump between that and Ubuntu to check it out. I think what I'm for sure going to do is checkout the Linux+ study material and get some basics with that and then set up a server just to see if I can figure it all out.

Again thanks for the responses, you guys got me off to a good start.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Maybe I'm specific about the distro I want but I really like gnome 2. I'm thinking of installing centos 6 only because it has gnome 2. I checked out fedora 16 and it would have been perfect but...

Am I crazy for installing centos 6 for a desktop environment? Anyone have any suggestions?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

i barely GNU her! posted:

I've been running it on my laptop since we decided to standardize on CentOS at work so I can get some more firsthand experience with it. It works well as a desktop system, but you have to be willing to put up with the fact that their policy of retaining stable versions of packages also applies to the desktop. There is some really old (for 2011) stuff in there that could be a dealbreaker if you like having the latest releases of everything.

If you don't mind using a bunch of extra yum repositories you should be able to manage.

Alternatively, maybe there's GNOME 2 packages for Fedora?

I guess I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. If anything, I just checked out Linux Mint and that might be a good option for me as well if I get sick of CentOS.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

syzygy86 posted:

Debian stable still runs Gnome 2, but it also has a lot of outdated packages like CentOS. I generally prefer Debian over CentOS for desktop use, but I suppose thats just personal preference.

I was debating that as well but I finally settled on CentOS since I do work with that quite a bit at my job.

As an update, I've finally gotten CentOS to do what I want it to do and honestly it's not bad for a desktop at all. Yeah you can load up Ubuntu or Mint and have it all and more but.. Gnome 2. :mmmhmm:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I'm running CentOS 6 right now and was wondering if someone knew of a way of getting Chromium installed. Is it possible to build it if no packages exist out there? I know I can easily install Chrome but I highly prefer Chromium if possible. All I find on the web is stuff pertaining to Chrome on CentOS 5. And what about Firefox 8?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm using the default Firefox 3 that comes with CentOS and it seems a little chunky. Also I think it may be messing with Adobe Flash Player and causing youtube videos to sometimes crash.

I'm enjoying CentOS so I don't want to jump to Fedora, especially since there's no Gnome 2 option.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

spankmeister posted:

I don't know of any pre-built chromium packages, I think most people just use chrome if they want it pre-built.

Luckily building software really isn't all that hard:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxBuildInstructions

e: Mozilla provides a binary (pre-compiled) version of Firefox 8 as well:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-8.0.1&os=linux&lang=en-US

I actually managed to find an rpm package soon after posting of Firefox 8 and so far it's running like silk. You know I've never compiled anything yet so I'm nervous as hell. I'll give it a shot, I'll learn a lot along the way so thanks for the link.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with LXDE or XFCE? I've been thinking about making a partition for a Fedora install but I'm not sure if those two are worthy of using or if I should just bite the bullet and hit up Gnome 3. Do they have issues with running software like LibreOffice or anything else? I like how similar they look to gnome 2 so I was pretty curious as to how they run.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

I keep coming back to XFCE and LXDE in search of something lighter than GNOME for my laptop, and each time it's an exercise in frustration.

You want more than one row of virtual desktops in LXDE? gently caress you, you get one row and that's it. You want wireless connectivity? Manually enable the GNOME network widget (which leaks memory like crazy), because the LXDE one sure as hell can't wrap its head around the fact that I have a wireless card.

Off to XFCE we go, then. Hey, wireless connectivity and multiple desktop rows out of the box, that's nice. Of course, it doesn't do me much good when windows (especially X or NX forwarded ones) will sometimes just loving vanish, with the program still running but the window lost forever. And it would be nice if it would stop randomly seizing up for a minute at a time.

They both have much smaller footprints than GNOME but gently caress if I can get them to work acceptably, and these days I don't want to spend hours dicking around with my desktop environment rather than browsing SA and writing my thesis, so back to GNOME it is. It's fine as long as I don't run more than two of {email client, browser, code editor, LaTeX editor} at a time.

And as long as I kill and restart the network applet every 24 hours.

:suicide:
The posts above had me really going for those two until I read your post haha.

Nah but it's good to know that they are real contenders. I'm going to try both and see which one I like. Based on screenshots they look really similar.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

OK I'm not sure what else I can do so I'm turning to you guys. Basically what happens is I'll be on YouTube listening to something and while I'm browsing websites Firefox will freeze for a couple of seconds and the YouTube video will stop and blank out. Like the video doesn't show up on the YouTube page until I refresh it. This tends to happen if I open a new link while browsing.

I've tried removing and then installing the latest version of the flash plugin from Adobe's site. I've removed Firefox and installed the latest version of that as well. Still no luck. Has anyone ever come across this issue and can please lend me a hand? I'm running CentOS 6 btw.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I've been running CentOS because I love gnome 2 but I had enough of it. I really wanted Fedora but I couldn't stand not having gnome 2 and I can't stand xfce or kde. Yes I admit I'm pretty drat picky, or maybe stubborn is the word. At a last ditch attempt I decided that I would load it with gnome 3.2 and attempt to use fallback mode to hold the fort until some sort of "gnome classic" is released.

You know what the irony is? I ended up not hating gnome 3.2. It's not that bad, I picked it up quick and it doesn't run too bad at all. I was kicking and screaming this entire time and pretty much for nothing. Almost nothing. I still would greatly prefer gnome 2 over this, and may still check out fallback mode. I think it was playing with Unity a few months ago that left this aversion to trying out gnome 3.2.

Does anyone here run gnome 3.2? What do you guys think of it?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

nitrogen posted:

Can I just say that I LOVE xfce?

I hope it doesn't get gummed up to gently caress like gnome has.

I gave xfce a shot since I didn't want to use gnome 3.2 but I couldn't accept it. I'm using gnome 3.2 fallback mode and it feels good man. :shobon:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is there an easy way to access a Windows share in Linux? I don't know if share is the right word actually. Basically I have a Windows box and I want it to share files with my Linux box but I'm not sure how to go about this.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Yes, Linux can access SMB shares. What distro do you use? Almost every modern desktop disto can access windows shares out of the box.

I'm currently using Fedora 16 (gnome3 fallback). I'm just not sure how to go about doing it as I'm pretty new to Linux in general. In the file manager I can see a network category with a browse network option. It shows up with Windows Network but it says "failed to retrieve share list from server." Is that a problem on the Windows box?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

telcoM posted:

Older versions of Windows used to give a list of their shared folders to anyone who asked on the network, but I think the newer versions might be more like "identify yourself first :colbert:".

I personally prefer KDE, so I cannot tell the exact location, but somewhere in the GNOME settings there might/should be a way to configure a Windows username and password which will be presented to the Windows servers when looking for network shares. I expect at least the password field will be empty by default.

(On this Debian+KDE system, it's slightly illogically at System Settings -> Sharing, which you might expect be related to sharing stuff to others, not accessing other systems' shares. Meh.)

Specify a Windows username that can be expected to make sense to the Windows box (i.e. you may need to use the form DOMAIN\username in some cases) and the password associated with it, then try again.
I can't find anything like this in gnome 3 but I'll take a closer look later, perhaps I can do something in the terminal to configure that. Actually spankmeister might be right, it could be an issue with the share. I'll double check that too but it's good to know that it isn't as hard as I thought it would be to get this going.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Does anyone know how to get an nvidia fan speed set to 100% on boot? I followed a guide in the gentoo wiki for getting a script going but it didn't work. I think it may not be possible because of the disclaimer that pops up when you go to adjust it (as dumb as that sounds) but I'd figure I ask to see if anyone is familiar with this. I'm running Fedora 16 Gnome3 btw.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What kind of fonts do you guys use? I'm experimenting with fonts in Fedora right now. Honestly my goal is to get the exact fonts used in Windows 7.. if anyone has any advice on that it would be greatly appreciated. I've found the font in Windows 7 explorer to be the most pleasing to my eyes but then again, it could be because I'm used to it.

Right now I'm using Cantarell which isn't bad. It just feels like no matter which font I try, something feels wrong about it.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

It's been a while since I've used Ubuntu so I can't recall the way the fonts look. Again I think my ultimate goal is the default Windows 7 look. I'll look into the infinality fonts and see how it goes.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

feedmegin posted:

You could try installing msttcorefonts or its equivalent, which are literally Microsoft's fonts, released for free some years back.

I actually did have that installed which was pretty cool. However I finally found out that Segoe UI is the standard Windows system font. What I did was go into my Windows partition, grab the font file and brought it over to the font directory in Fedora. I feel it's looking more like Windows 7 now but I'll keep tweaking it.

Craptacular! posted:

I want to get away from Ubuntu and picked Debian because I figured keeping the same package type would be useful/easy, but I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I got NVidia drivers working, I THINK, because the console commands seem to be giving me affirmative replies but I don't have that NVidia Control Center application to actually manage things. But getting HDMI sound to work has been a mess.

I guess I'll try SuSE if I can't get this working in a week or so, because all I really need is to be competent enough to setup NVidia drivers (for working sound) and sharing to Windows.

(EDIT: Nevermind, got it going. Now to import Ubuntu fonts and set up GNOME. :dance:)

I think the NVidia control center thingy is a separate package. I believe I have it installed from nvidia-settings.x86_64 in my repo.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I just wanted to mention that I started playing around with screen as an alternative to nohup and... wow. Why didn't anyone tell me how awesome it was?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So after all the discussions of ssh security I decided to check the log on my server. I've got brute force attempts from a few people and it makes me feel unclean! I've got root login turned off and my username/pw is super tight. I feel like I should change the port to something like 4230 but overall is this something you have to live with? Should I do anything about the people attempting this? One of the IPs belongs to a range owned by a Ukrainian so it seems like a waste of time.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

angrytech posted:

Enable public key auth and disable password auth. :siren:Mmake sure you can log in with your key before you disable the password
Changing ports is a million times less effective than just using a keyfile.

edit: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Linux Question Thread: Use keyfile auth already

Hmm I'll look into setting that up. That actually sounds like a pretty cool way of logging in.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

outlier posted:

It's kinda incredible the volume of people trying to break in, isn't it? Anyway, as per other recommendations and install denyhosts and/or fail2ban. I particularly like how denyhosts can share suspect IPs and shut them right down.

Yeah I was shocked because you never think that you yourself would be targeted out of all the boxes out there. You know what gently caress it I'm just going to set up fail2ban, it somehow seems more satisfying to me.

Also has anyone had or know anyone who has had their server broken into? What usually happens afterwards? DoS attack?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Wow so it's for real? I'll admit I'm a little jealous.. please do tell how it is when it arrives. :)

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Martytoof posted:

This is how I have my CentOS workstation set up. / is SSD, /home is a 4TB RAID-10 four-SATA array.

Speaking of which, I remember the anaconda installer for CentOS always throwing a fit with partitions over 2TB. What is the best practice for installing CentOS with something like a 4TB RAID10 setup?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I don't know what the best practice is, but the installer will probably throw a fit if your disk is partitioned MBR. You need GPT to support 2+TB partitions.

I imagine if CentOS installer has Software RAID built into its kernel then you can probably boot the installer and maybe run something like this from one of the text consoles:

fdisk /dev/sda; create mammoth 2TB primary partition of type "fd"; repeat for /dev/sd[bcd]

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --raid-devices=4 --level=raid10 /dev/sd[abcd]1

to create the RAID, then you need to parted a 2+TB filesystem (though I'm not sure you'd really want to do this)

parted /dev/md0
> mklabel gpt
> unit TB
> mkpart primary 0 4 (i'm using 4TB in this example I guess)
> quit

and then maybe reboot the installer CD and you SHOULD be able to use /dev/md0p1 as your installation target?

Though like I said, I'm not really sure you'd want to run a huge RAID10 setup for your entire machine. I did an SSD system disk and then the RAID10 /home volume in the manner I described above :)

Then again I'm just assuming that you can run mdadm from the CentOS installer. If you can't, then I suppose you can always create the RAID using some other live CD.

e: If you're running CentOS or some other SElinux enabled distribution then don't forget to change the context of your /home after you mount it. I just pulled this out of my history: "chcon -t home_root_t /home". This one made me scratch my head for a while because I'd pretty much never dealt with SElinux contexts before.

Wait so this is software RAID though right? I'm just pissed that it's so hard to just set up the partitions normally, how come this issue exists with CentOS? I thought version 6 would fix it but I guess not since I've ran into the issue at work already on it. If I remember correctly the last time I did it the installer works as long as root isn't at 2TB. I just remember having to make some weird partitions but I never remember what it was I did and then I forget it for next time.

I've always read that gparted was the way to go before installing but whatever. Who needs that much space anyways? :clint:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I just installed cinnamon after fixing grub. So first off I researched for hours on how to fix grub after installing windows again. I'm about to give up and reinstall fedora and it turns out the fedora 16 DVD can do a repair install of grub. Funny how that works.

Anyways cinnamon is pretty cool. If anyone is a fan of gnome2 and is not that pleased with gnome3 fallback give it a shot. My only gripe is that there is no documentation yet and some customizations still require tinkering.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I think I might have asked this before but here goes. I'm running a CentOS 6.2 server right now and I'm not doing much with it. I was planning on hosting some game servers but I was wondering if there is a distro more efficient for game server hosting. Like will there be a huge difference between the kernels in Debian 6.0 and CentOS 6.2? I don't know anyone who hosts any game servers so I never knew what the standard distro was. I was going to ask in the private game servers forum but it didn't look like the kind of place you can really have discussions.

I'm still pretty drat new to Linux in general but I'm more comfortable with CentOS and I installed it figuring it would probably do me more good to learn that distro. Speaking of which, is there a easy to read list somewhere of the major differences between CentOS 5.8 and 6.2?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

etcetera08 posted:

I just installed Guake (gnome version) and it seems to be working alright. Only bummer is that I guess I have to use two terminal emulators this way?

Holy poo poo I had no idea such a thing existed. This kicks rear end thanks!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is RHEL ever purchased for actual employee workstations or is it just servers? Who actually purchases RHEL support? Are there any companies out there at all? I'm just curious about the actual companies who purchase it because it seems like CentOS all day long.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I was thinking about buying the RHCE book by Michael Jang but I was wondering if this book assumes you are already a Linux command line master or not. I need something to get me started on a path to really learning Linux and also hopefully towards getting my RHCSA.

Anyone have any book recommendations? I'd prefer something RHEL related since that is what I deal with for the majority of my clients in the workplace.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The Third Man posted:

general question, I'm teaching myself how to use Linux and trying to read through this: http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/. Are there any other good resources out there if I want to move beyond a basic understanding of the system?

Everyone at my work place recommended this book: http://www.amazon.com/Linux-System-Administration-Handbook-Edition/dp/0131480057/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335941376&sr=1-3

I just purchased it so I haven't had time to dig in.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just installed xterm on my server for kicks. I will say it is pretty surreal to run Firefox on my server through SSH. Does anyone use xterm for any serious purpose? It looks like a very ancient and outdated thing, not to mention slow.

Also if I install a package (let's say emacs) and I want to remove it, doing the yum remove command only removes the package and not the dependencies. What if I want to remove the dependencies as well? Do people ever do that when removing packages or is it better to just keep the dependencies around?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Computer viking posted:

Xterm is sort of the terminal of last resort - it's light, fast, and doesn't depend on anything noteworthy. Besides, it's actually updated fairly often, so it works quite well for most terminal things even if the interface is clunky.

I'm not sure what it has to do with X-forwarding, though?

I assumed it was needed to do X-forwarding. Doing some research that doesn't seem to be the case I guess.

pseudorandom name posted:

Not on a server, no.

yum history undo $TRANSACTION_NUMBER

yum install yum-plugin-remove-with-leaves
yum remove --remove-leaves $PACKAGE_NAME

In either case you'll want to look at the proposed transaction and make sure you're not removing something you need.

Thanks for this, I'm going to play around with it and see how it works out (I'll prob break something.)

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Does anyone know to disable the graphical boot screen in fedora? I'm really confused with the way grub2 works and I think I need to edit one of the files to get it to work.

I really like the way CentOS 5 would load, I wish I can get it like that.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Does anyone know of a real solution for using an ipod in linux? I have one of the newer nano ipods and apparently they have some kind of encryption that prevents me from using gtkpod or banshee to sync music. I tried using virtualbox to make a Windows box just for itunes but it fails to prevent the ipod.. even though it works just fine when I boot into my windows 7 partition.

Really makes me regret this purchase.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

General_Failure posted:

That's odd. I have ubuntu on my Acer Aspire One netbook and it runs a hell of a lot better than Win7 starter that it came installed with. Hell, I plug it in to the PC peripherals whenever the desktop self destructs and for the most part it runs just fine.

Admittedly i usually use XFCE but the other shells don't do too bad either. Main reason i use XFCE is memory. It only has the 1gb it came from the factory with which is a little tight for my purposes but usable.

Disk IO seems a little slow with my One, but besides that there are no real bottlenecks tha would cause Ubuntu to fall over.

Lysidas Thanks for reminding me about initrd. Hopefully it should be okay. Can't speak for Debian and derivatives but my USB hard drive has Ubuntu on it and I use that on different (x64) computers without issue.

Still torn over Debian or LMDE. Now I'm using LMDE I like it but I'm not sure what's actually different between it and Debian.
About the only differences I've seen are that LMDE has Cinnamon, some different theming, Chrome isn't stupidly sluggish and... well that's about it. Oh except for the fonts. I know I've bitched here before about something being wrong with the text in Ubuntu but VMs of other OSes not having that issue etc. When I briefly had Debian installed before LMDE the exact same deal. Debian looked razor sharp but LMDE has the same murkiness that Ubuntu does. I've fiddled with hinting, anti aliasing, subpixel stuff etc but I just can't fix it. That on its own is making me consider a Debian reinstall. Even the XP VM I was using yesterday made me say "Whoah!" out loud because of the crispness. I don't know what LMDE and Ubuntu have which Debian does not but it is kind of pissing me off.

Which version of Debian have you been playing with? 6.0? Maybe you should try the testing release as it features newer stuff: http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/

Although it looks like security updates aren't going to be updated as fast as in the regular stable Debian.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

eXXon posted:

Are you taking about hardware RAID? I meant software RAID with mdadm.

This briefly describes the issue and a workaround for Fedora 16; I don't know if it's the same for Centos 6.

This must be a fedora thing because I swear it works fine in centos 6.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is it just me or does my nvidia run slower in Fedora than Windows? In Windows all animations are crisp (including scrolling in Firefox) but in Fedora it can get choppy. I've installed the nvidia drivers though. Is this a Gnome3 thing or just a Linux thing?

Or am I just doing something wrong? If anyone has any advice regarding this I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I'm trying to set up postfix and I think I'm having issues regarding the DNS setup. I set my myhostname in postfix as mail.domain.com and mydomain as domain.com (domain.com is just the example name). Now for the DNS settings over at namecheap, how do I list the MX records? Like it is asking for the host and the mail server host. Is the host @ and the mail server host mail.domain.com? Am I making any sense at all?