Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I dumped windows about two years ago for non gaming and got rid of it all together around three weeks ago. Now I am a full time ubuntu user. I am a frequent guest on podcast from time to time and we use skype. One of the biggest features that skype does not have is 'Push to talk' like in vent and TS2. I found that the windows version of skype has a Hotkey area where I setup a mute hot key on my mouse. So I used to do the podcast on my windows box. Now that I completely dumped windows I am back using skype on ubuntu and the GNU/Linux version does not have the hotkey or the mute function.

So my questions are; Is there a plugin for skype(GNU/Linux) that enable Push to Talk? If not is there a way to mute the microphone using a keyboard/mouse shortcut? I know you can mute the sound using a hot key in the keyboard shortcut menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Twinxor posted:

You can get builds of Feisty now, and just upgrade them to the release version when it comes out. They aren't guaranteed to work, but I dist-upgraded from edgy without incident, and I'd expect very little to be broken this close to release. The Release Candidate ISO will be out in the next few days, if you want something official.

I wouldn't today. The 14.23 and 15.24 Kernels mess with some sata controllers(lock up at boot). They are going to have the 15.25 kernel up in like 8 hours(area depending). The RC was delayed because of this.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Police Academy 6 posted:

really short + stupid question:

in gnome (specifically ubuntu), how do i get rid of the icons next to the text in buttons? i would rather have it be like windows or os x, where it's just the text, but i don't know how to do that.
Use your favorite editor to open '~/.gtkrc-2.0' and add 'gtk-button-images=0' to the file. Now I think this only works with stock buttons/icons but they make up 90%+ of the buttons. There is a GUI way also but it requires one of the user friendly gconf front ends like [gnome/ubuntu]tweak.

edit:If you want root applications to honor this you will have to modify the root gtkrc-2.0

tehk fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 11, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Azerban posted:

I have a LG L222WT 16:10 1680x1050 widescreen monitor I'm having trouble getting to display properly in Ubuntu. When windows are "fullscreen" in 1680x1050, they run off the side of the monitor in both horizontal directions, while fitting properly vertically. Other resolutions display fine, though distorted since they are not native.

Any ideas?

Any chance you can pastebin your "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"?

I want to check your Monitor section. LGs have always had issues with detection on my machines. Let me know your cards model also.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

covener posted:

Not too experience with ubuntu, but are you losing some distinction between security updates, fixes, and features in an LTS release?

You are correct, he will not get any new features. He will however get security updates and minor fixes. I would just do a early install of Hardy server edition and ride that for the LTS cycle. Since it doesnt sound like the current setup is worth saving and an upgrade would only take a few minutes.

DISREGARD THIS - You are better off just using the tarball and installing the dependencies instead with the rate of updates SABNZBd+ is getting
Also note that there is a script to make a SabNZBd+ install easy as pie since I do not think there is a package yet.

tehk fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 25, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

rookieone posted:

thanks for all the input guys.

I was indeed planning on going with Hardy because it has the LTS but there is no server-only CD out there as far as I know, so I'd have to wait until April for the official hardy release. I suppose I could just download the beta CD and do a server install though.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/20080325/

It is the daily build of hardy but all the same.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

What is the current great audio player out for Ubuntu right now? I have VLC for my video, but I'm assuming there is something better for audio than what comes stock on Ubuntu.
If you are not worried about using qt applications along side of GTK then without a doubt KDEs audio player Amarok takes the 'best of' cake.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Ok, I installed Ubuntu a few days ago and am trying to find my way around some basic terminal commands. I'm making some progress, but I'm stuck on something that is almost too embarrassing to ask... How in the hell do you handle spaces in folders and file names?

Ex. I have a music folder, with a Jack Johnson folder inside that, and several albums inside that. I've tried cd /music/Jack Johnson and it won't recognize the command. I've tried seemingly ever combination of odd characters to fill the space and can't figure it out.

What simple step am I missing?

Lets say I have a folder named "Some Band" in my home directory. I would navigate there using escape slashes like "cd /home/tehk/Some\ Band/" or "cd /home/tehk/"Some Band"/". The former works the best and in the most use cases.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

bootleg robot posted:

I have a basic question about installing from source. I downloaded an application from subversion (svn co url). Then configured, compiled, then installed it. Now, suppose there is a new revision up. The correct way to retrieve it is "svn update", right? What do I do from there in terms of configuring, compiling, and installing? Do I need to uninstall the old version first?

I would do a 'make uninstall' then update the source and do the install steps as usual. You could just install it on top of the old one but to avoid files that have been removed for that revision remaining behind I would uninstall it first.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Bonus posted:

Is there a way that I can map a remote folder that I ssh to to a local folder? So that /home/user/my_ssh/somefolder acts like ssh://my_ssh_server/somefolder

You need to use sshfs to mount the remote server, or you can jut use nautilus and the 'connect to server' in your places drop down on your panel.

edit: Also you might need to make sure your user has rights to mount FUSE file systems in your Users and Groups menu

tehk fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 1, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Cannister posted:

Also I recently installed fluxbox and I'm wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of how to get my desktop environment looking like this (as far as the computer status in the upper right and the icons in the menu).

You want Conky!

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

If anyone has any tips or a good tutorial for me to read, I'd be thrilled.

Check out this script(here is the creators blog where he explains it) on the nuvexport mythwiki page. That should give you a decent starting point, and a simple 'mv $thefilevarible /my/raid/array/' after the transcoding would seem to do what you want. The only question I have is do you want this to work automagically or upon request?

tehk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 7, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

landoverbaptist posted:

Is there a simple way to go about this?

Google Rsync, it is the perfect solution for what you want to do.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

The ubuntu community wiki is really useful, check this out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT2500

It has guides for installing the ra2500.ko native driver(or ndiswrapper), and the RaConfig application. If you are trying to install RutilT its in the repos. The people above are correct, just install the dev packages using synaptic/aptitude if you must install this stuff from source.

tehk fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 11, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Ice Blue posted:

For XP, it seems 64-bit version is less compatible with programs than the 32-bit version (that was the impression I was under), especially for games. I was wondering if Linux had that sort of issue. Should I just get the 64-bit version and have no problems or go with the normal version?

Less then windows but the issue exist in some places, but I would recommend the 32 bit for that reason. You can use 32 bit apps in the 64bit OS but its kinda screwy with some applications. Later on you can always just save your package list and your home partition and move to 64bit.

edit: Flash on a 64bit install is a pain still I think, so stick to 32 bit

tehk fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 15, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

It seems to be a issue with your MBR(and grub) being written to your Linux drive and not your primary boot drive. So your windows bootloader is intact on one drive and grub is on the other. Might want to try switching your boot order like Coupon Wizard suggested.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Ice Blue posted:

How would I edit that? I'm a complete novice at Linux. I don't even know terminal commands unless it's given to me exactly.

You can do it using the command line with 'sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst' or you can do it in the GUI by pressing Alt+F2 and typing 'gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst'

Sudo allows you to run an application as root, while gksudo does the same but for GUI programs. In the most basic sense atleast.

tehk fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 15, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Ice Blue posted:

When you say put a # in front of it, do you mean take out one of the two so that it's only one or adding one so it's three?

Also, the problem now is getting Windows to show up in GRUB.

Hidden menu isnt enabled by default, you need to set timeout to -1. Leave HIDDENMENU alone

edit: As for the multiple entries, they are different kernels. So essentially if ubuntu releases a bad kernel(the core of the OS) you can use the old one until the new one is fixed. This is rare in a non beta/alpha but very nice to have. Recovery mode is used to drop you into a shell where you can issue commands to fix the issue that is preventing your full mode from working.

edit: VV I am dumb I fixed it

tehk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 15, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Coupon Wizard posted:

What methods are there to input accented (foreign) characters? For instance, an a with a ~ above it.

What desktop environment? In GNOME(and KDE) you can set a compose key in Keyboard menu, that will allow you to do those characters on the fly. In gnome its System>Preferences>Keyboard>Layout>LayoutOptions

edit: Here is the table https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GtkComposeTable I used that for work the last few days, it was unfun

tehk fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 16, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Coupon Wizard posted:

I'm using KDE (in fact I'm new to KDE as well) and I can't seem to find any similar function.

It should be be something like Systems settings > Keyboard > Xkb something, and the option should be like winkey to compose

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Sits on Pilster posted:

What do you mean by "if everything's working"? The HD is clean right now, so I'm going to be trying to install by booting from an install CD. How will I know if everything's working or not?

Distros like Ubuntu use a LiveCD, this allows you to boot off of that CD to test a (unupdated and partially limited) Ubuntu system. So when you put the CD in you will be greeted with a desktop and a decent number of tools and apps instead of just an installer(like xp). Note that liveCD performance is not always gonna reflect a full install. Once you are in the Ubuntu LiveCD there is an application on the desktop that will install it if you would like.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Does that make any sense?

That is very odd. Which term you are using? I tried this a few moments ago on both gnome's and xterm but it worked perfectly.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The one that comes with xfce4. The binary is just called terminal.

Ah xfce-terminal, you may want to try xterm(or gnomes) and see if the issue still occurs. X selections really shouldn't care or know that its a ssh session - or vi for that matter. That makes me think it might be xfce-terminal

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

fletcher posted:

What's a good way to monitor a server? I'd like to be able to see stats about apache, mysql, and bandwidth, cpu, memory, etc all on one page.

I know GenericAdmin uses RRDtool, I remember a front end for it to produce live streaming results.

edit: I am stupid Munin is the front end. Check it out here, it provides a web interface and is supposedly plug and play

edit2: Here is the munin live demo

tehk fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 29, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

CheeseDog posted:

I have a large music collection 100g+ well organised into artist then albums.

Banshee 1.0, it is in alpha but is already amazing and stable. It is designed to work fast with large music collections(unlike the earlier version). Other then that amarok.

Edit: The best thing about banshee 1.0 is filters. I have a 30k+ song library and I can easily filter songs in seconds. Banshee1.0 also starts fast, atleast compared to amarok, rhythmbox, and old Banshee.

There is a PPA for ubuntu, 1click install for suse, etc..
http://banshee-project.org/Releases/0.98.3 <-0.98 = 1.0 alpha
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/03/13/banshee-1-0-alpha-1-released

tehk fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

deong posted:

How does Banshee1.0 compare to Exaile?
I've gone back and forth over different players for a while, I last recall trying Banshee on Ubuntu Dapper, so its been a while. I think I quit using it due to crashing while scanning my library, which sounds like its fixed now.

One of the main reasons for using Exaile, is that even with a media library, you can browse the file system for songs that have not been scanned.
I like to have the ability to play files with them in my media library, for podcasts and such that I'll be deleting after one listen through. Does banshee have a way to browse folders? Or do you have to have the music in your library to listen?

You can click file->open location. That will give you the 'open' dialog to play throw away single files. Banshee really is trying to be a GNOME media player, so like rhythmbox they expect you to use totem to play single files.

The cool thing about banshee1.0 is that it is not just a music player. They are making it a media player by adding video support(handled like music). I guess its good for large music video libraries or alot of TV shows.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Blaster of Justice posted:

banshee

What version of banshee did you install? Because if its 0.13.X then yea it sucks. The alpha doesn't have feature parity yet which is why it is not being released(and some bugs).

edit: I have not used banshee or amarok for organizing a folder full of unsorted MP3s tho, I use easytag and a few other tools

tehk fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 1, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

I have a linux server setup with web administration pages for webmin, mythtv, soon to be torrents, and all sorts of other applications. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to whip up a start or homepage for my server. A single page that I can access that will have links to all the other pages. I move my server from home to school and what not due to being in college, so having the page being able to update the links to any IP changes would be great. I just want an initial page where I can mash buttons to get to the other admin pages without having to type in the IP each time.

Thanks!

Maybe I am a bit lost but putting a index.html page with relative links in your apache root would do what you say?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

That sounds like what I want to do. I'm just not sure how to do it. Which directory is the apache directory and how would I hit the html page from a networked computer?

I think it is /var/www/apache2-default/, and ThePCsIP/somepage.html

edit: I may be wrong as Ferg said root is different on each distro

tehk fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 1, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

bootleg robot posted:

Guys, what's the best Dock application for Linux now? I used to use kiba-dock, but couldn't get the menu plugin to work without crashing. Avant Window Navigator seems slow and unresponsive. Are there any other alternatives?

What version of AWN do you use? Slow and unresponsive seems off base for awn. I honestly think AWN is the best dock on our platform, but I am about as biased as you can get. You can hop on irc some time and one of us in the #awn channel can give you a hand solving the problem.

Other then the two main docks there is engage, gnome-dock(french revival), screenlets dock, and a few others.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

deong posted:

I'd agree. The Kiba-Dock seemed to run smoothly enough for me, but they just had too much going on. The AWN dock is the best one I've come across, and I've not had any sort of slow down/sluggishness from it.
I'm using 0.3.1 from :
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu hardy main

Yea the version in the ubuntu repositories was from the 0.2.x series. 0.3.x has a rewritten base windowlist/launcher applet which solves many issues with both bugs and speed. The applets in the 0.3.x series are better also. Luckily someone wrote preference windows for a few of my applets in 0.3.x, thus saving me the pain.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

What are the real differences?
Besides all the prison and murder jokes, the biggest issue is maintenance. Other then that Novell made some good points about its limitations when they moved away from it back in 06.

quote:

ReiserFS has a small and shrinking development community.
That was in 06, now it is almost non existent.

Anyway I really want to play around with xfs

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

H0TSauce posted:

Is there any way i can turn off this option, or am i faced with recompiling PHP?

I am lost when it comes to php, but.. I think PEAR is packaged separately on most distros so even if php was compiled with the --without-pear flag you should be able to install the php-pear package. At least that is how it worked at home.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

I am having an issue with GNU screen. I want to love screen but emacs key bindings made me retarded because Control-a being anything other then 'goto the start of the line' makes me crazy. Anyone have a emacsified .screenrc they could hook me up with?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Thanks, this is the only way to scroll.

For everyone else there is a easier way to do this via the Preference window that doesnt involve about :config. Click the Advanced icon and click Use Autoscrolling.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

I'm not sure what I need to do to get it to see my sound card, can anyone help me?
I followed this guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4874981&postcount=2
http://4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2054

Did you kill pulseaudio/alsa? Did you set OSS and your output in the Sound preferences window?
Also why are you compiling gstreamer from source? The package in the repositories works(except for the volume control, which you can use the OSS one instead).

tehk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 11, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

Yes, I had it configured in the sound settings for OSS, but no, I didn't remove those two, but I just removed ALSA, according to the instructions in the first link you provided, and ran "apt-get remove pulseaudio", and both worked, but after a restart, there's still an X on Volume Control, with the same error when clicked. Although, PulseAudio Sound Server is still listed in the Sound preferences, so I'm not sure if there's some other package that you have to remove to get it off all the way.

Anyway, since I didn't remove these two before installing OSS, does that mean I have to reinstall that as well?

As for GStreamer, it didn't have a package for Ubuntu on its list, so I thought I had no choice but to compile it myself. But either way, it's already done now, I have all those plugins installed.

I am a little confused since you said 'both work', so it is working now except for the volume applet? The volume applet will not work unless you follow the directions in the first link about patching gstreamer.

Anyway, you might need to uninstall+reinstall OSS but i doubt it if it is working.

edit: You should almost always look and see if something is in the repositories first before going to a programs site and finding out that you need to compile from source. I say almost because in cases like OSS in the repos being dated and other reasons(patching etc..). Note that gstreamer was installed by default on your system, and you might have installed over an existing version which might not play well if you ever touch it with dpkg.

tehk fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 11, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

No, I meant they both uninstalled successfully. Anyway, I added ossxmix to the toolbar, but that application doesn't seem to help with anything--I still don't have any audio. Should I reinstall OSS? Also, I think there's a PulseAudio package that I haven't removed, because PulseAudio Sound Server is still an option in the Sound preferences.

I see that you have your on board sound on. So maybe its outputting to that? Might want to disable it in your bios(best solution) or set the xfi as your default for oss(which I forget how to do).

I am away from the desktop but I think oss comes with a sound test program that you run from a console called osstest.

edit: I suggest something like osstest because you might have broken gstreamer, but I think its the default card issue that is currently causing you to be without sound.

edit2:

VVVV Follow that links instructions about gstreamer with the patch that fixes the controls

tehk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 11, 2008

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

sund posted:

Another sound related question:

I'm deaf in one ear and listening to music with headphones is driving me nuts when an instrument is mixed to only one channel. There's sometimes ways of specifying mono output for applications, but not always. What would I do on a Ubuntu 8.04 system to downmix everything? Basically, I never want to hear stereo again.
Check out this: http://diehealthy.org/linux/mono-please. There should be a way to do it via pulseaudio directly tho

edit: pulseaudio manager has a way to do this per device using alsa module sinks, if you cannot find a good guide for that the asoundrc solution should work

tehk fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Fedora 9 was released today! Here are some links

tehk fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 13, 2008