Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone built a sonotube sub?

Any feedback, recommended plans, etc?

Is it as easy and cheap as I'm lead to believe?

Will they really drop the response curve as low as I'm told?

My housemate wants to cannibalize a newish Polk 10" sub under the suggestion we can tune the tube down to 24Hz from the current 30/35ish of the factory Polk build/box fur the home theater in the ever running quest for more lfe/spl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Nope.

Construction looks about as simple as you can get. Even easier than a sealed box.

This should help you decide if you want to build it. http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm

You'll probably want a new amp because it looks like the Polk 10's have a high pass filter at 35-40Hz.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

KozmoNaut posted:

So in other words, it does exactly the same as my current preamp+DSP setup, by using the receiver as a preamp and still using an external DSP?

Thats... Not quite what I had in mind when I wished for a one-box solution ;)

I just want a preamp (preferably with digital inputs) that will also act as a parametric EQ and a decent crossover. So far, only the high-end receivers seem to fit the bill, and they're way too expensive. Once you go a little older, you lose the parametric EQ or configurable crossover, and that sucks.

E: The NAD C510 and Cambridge 851D can't even do what I want, they don't have any crossover functions. The M12 does, but lacks a parametric EQ just like the others.

Maybe it makes more sense as a list. I want/need a single box with the following features:

• Preamplifier only, or preamp outputs
  • Input selection
  • Digital inputs
  • Analog inputs (optional)
  • Volume control, digital with remote control
  • Fully configurable 2-way crossover
  • Parametric EQ with at least 5 bands
  • Not enormously huge
  • Not insanely priced

Nobody makes a device like that, at least not that I know of.

What about the HK 990?
http://www.hifishark.com/search?q=harman-kardon+hk+990

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That does look interesting, but I can't really find any info on its EQ and crossover settings. I'll have to look into it, thanks.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm looking for a recommendation for a USB DAC and amp since my old one just broke. The only dealbreaker is I want it to have some kind of analog volume control so I can turn the knob or w/e and control the volume. Price range is flexible but I'm hoping to spend in the ~$100 range but I can go higher if necessary. Will be used with sennheiser hd598 and a cheap computer speaker system so two outputs would be nice.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

I'm using this: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Xonar-U7-Sound-Card/dp/B00E7QA9E0

Fits your requirements and no complaints from me.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just heard back from the audio repair shop, the replacement vacuum tubes for my McIntosh 275 should be in this week and they anticipate having it ready to go by this Saturday.

Now just to try and sell it - any suggestions on how to sell something this valuable without getting ripped off, besides selling locally?

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

So I'm looking to spend around $30-50 for an ok/decent set of speakers I can plug into my phone or tablet.

Any recommendations?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

So I'm looking to spend around $30-50 for an ok/decent set of speakers I can plug into my phone or tablet.

Any recommendations?

Like for quick personal listening? Little Bluetooth speakers are surprisingly decent. There's an Anker that people who make "best under $50" lists seem to love.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

Any recommendations?

Bought my daughter a Venstar (I think) for Xmas and it is very good for the price. Also bought a Phillips and it is drat impressive.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Thanks, eddiewalker and wormil, that was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I don't like the sound from my motherboard, I have to turn it way up to get comfortably loud on my Senheiser 280's. I don't think I can afford an amplifier, so would any of these cards help give my headphones a punch?

http://amzn.com/B00EO6X4XG
http://amzn.com/B0045JHJSS

Or would any of these work ok? ( I know they're cheap made in china)

http://amzn.com/B017VXOBDK
http://amzn.com/B00J2PJQ0O

Thanks

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

drat NIGGA posted:

I don't like the sound from my motherboard, I have to turn it way up to get comfortably loud on my Senheiser 280's. I don't think I can afford an amplifier, so would any of these cards help give my headphones a punch?

http://amzn.com/B00EO6X4XG
http://amzn.com/B0045JHJSS

Or would any of these work ok? ( I know they're cheap made in china)

http://amzn.com/B017VXOBDK
http://amzn.com/B00J2PJQ0O

Thanks

I'd lean away from internal PC Cards just because you'll probably get more mileage and flexibility out of an external device. Fiio is the big name in decent but cheap chinese headphone amps and dacs.

Lucious the Llama
Feb 23, 2010
Hey all, I hope this is the right place to ask this (if not, forgive me and please send me where I need to go!).

I've had a Samsung JU7100 UHD TV and a Vizio soundbar (SB4051-C0) for a little while now, and just got an Onkyo TX-NR545 receiver. I'm trying to get them to work properly for 5.1 surround sound... if they can work together at all, that is.

I've set it up to the best of my knowledge: Roku --> AVR (ARC enabled) --> Soundbar In --> Soundbar Out (ARC) --> TV (ARC).

Here's the problem: let's say i'm watching Netflix, and there's a scene where two people are taking a walk in the park and chatting. When I play it with 5.1 audio enabled, sounds that might be in the background (such as birds chirping) come through, but absolutely no character dialogue does. The rear surround speakers also seem to be coming through with a lot of crackling/fuzziness.

Any general ideas on how I go about solving this?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Uhhhh ARC is for a smart TV to pass audio back to your AVR so it can output it to your speakers properly. Like I have a Sony TV with Android and I watch Neflix on it and it sends the surround back to my Denon and then out to my speakers.

You need to ditch the soundbar and get a proper 5.1 setup. They're not meant to be used together.

Unless I read that post wrong you've got some kind of funky loop going on? Doesn't your AVR have HDMI ins and outs?

Lucious the Llama
Feb 23, 2010
There's a very good chance I've done something stupid, there's no denying that :P

My AVR does have HDMI ins and outs; [Roku/PS4/etc.] ---> AVR HDMI In (6 or 7 in total), and from there AVR HDMI Out (just one) ---> the rest of the setup (in my case, ---> soundbar --->TV).

I was under the impression that most TVs -- mine included -- can't do 5.1 pass-through natively (only passing 2.0 via optical, for example), so if I wanted everything that could possibly do surround sound to work properly, I would need an AVR to combine them into one HDMI output, and pass that directly to the speakers/soundbar, and the video to the TV. Is that not true?

If that's not the case, how would I get both the Roku and PS4 (and whatever else I've got) working with surround sound, when it appears there's only one HDMI port on the TV that supports ARC? Does ARC even matter when it comes to an external device?

Is there a key bit of information I'm missing/confusing somewhere?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Your TV doesn't need to do passthrough at all. Your Roku is plugged directly into your AVR via HDMI correct?

What I'm confused about here is, did you buy an AVR and not a proper 5.1 setup and are somehow trying to use your soundbar as a center channel?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I think he wants to use the sound bar for his L/C/R?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm 99% sure that's not possible, and the current setup is weird as hell.

Lucious the Llama
Feb 23, 2010

LmaoTheKid posted:

Your TV doesn't need to do passthrough at all. Your Roku is plugged directly into your AVR via HDMI correct?

What I'm confused about here is, did you buy an AVR and not a proper 5.1 setup and are somehow trying to use your soundbar as a center channel?

wolfbiker posted:

I think he wants to use the sound bar for his L/C/R?

Basically, yes, I am. And answer your other question, yes, my Roku is plugged directly to the AVR via HDMI. At that point, I would assume I would take it from the AVR via hdmi out ---> TV for video... but how would I get the audio to go from AVR -> TV and AVR ---> soundbar (if even at all possible)? If I used the optical cable from TV ---> soundbar, it'd only be 2.0, right? and the AVR only has an optical in as far as I'm aware.

If it helps clarify why I have the equipment that I do, let me give you a little backstory... I bought that soundbar a little under a year ago on sale, with the intent to set up surround... eventually. At the time I didn't really have the space for a full surround setup, but the price was right, so I only used the soundbar/subwoofer with the intent that when I got more space, I would set the rest of it up.

Now that I have more room, I wanted to set it all up, but I noticed Netflix only ever said it was putting out 2.0 instead of 5.1, regardless of what source I was streaming it from (the setup at the time was Roku/PS4/etc ---> TV ---> soundbar). That's when I started looking into potential solutions, as I mentioned earlier.

Ultimately, I was/am trying to find a solution without sinking an additional $300+ into some proper speakers, and only having to drop $300-500 on a 4k-capable, hdcp 2.2/hdmi 2.0 receiver, thinking that was the best solution.

But, from the way you sound, this was basically impossible from the start and I'm just better off buying some real speakers? What even is the point of a soundbar? Could I have gotten everything I wanted with the soundbar and never needed an AVR?

I'm just so confused!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ok, let me simplify this.

Your AVR is basically a splitter. Forget about ARC. The AVR splits the video and audio from your sources which are directly connected to it.

The soundbar is basically a small upgrade from your TV speakers.

When the AVR splits out the audio it pipes it out to speakers directly hooked up to it, NOT to the TV or the soundbar you have in-between your TV out. It doesn't work that way.

ARC would be for a smart app in your TV. Some TVs pass full 5.1 out. My Sony 810c does exactly this with it's Netflix app for media that shows as 5.1 in the app.

Ditch the soundbar, plug the AVR direct into the TV, get some speakers.

Look into the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer or ELAC speakers. I have the Pioneer bookshelves and center channel and they pump out really nice sound in a 3.0 setup and all in were less than 250$. My AVR cost more (Denon S910W). I'm sure others here can recommend a good sub if you want it. Surround speakers aren't as important so don't worry about matching them if you don't want to.

then you can repurpose the soundbar if you have another TV or sell it on craigslist to subsidize the speakers.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 7, 2016

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Those Pioneers are a little overrated IMO. The bass is good for a bookshelf but I found the mids and highs to sound a bit muffled.

Lucious the Llama
Feb 23, 2010

LmaoTheKid posted:

Ok, let me simplify this.

Your AVR is basically a splitter. Forget about ARC. The AVR splits the video and audio from your sources which are directly connected to it.

The soundbar is basically a small upgrade from your TV speakers.

When the AVR splits out the audio it pipes it out to speakers directly hooked up to it, NOT to the TV or the soundbar you have in-between your TV out. It doesn't work that way.

ARC would be for a smart app in your TV. Some TVs pass full 5.1 out. My Sony 810c does exactly this with it's Netflix app for media that shows as 5.1 in the app.

Ditch the soundbar, plug the AVR direct into the TV, get some speakers.

Look into the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer or ELAC speakers. I have the Pioneer bookshelves and center channel and they pump out really nice sound in a 3.0 setup and all in were less than 250$. My AVR cost more (Denon S910W). I'm sure others here can recommend a good sub if you want it. Surround speakers aren't as important so don't worry about matching them if you don't want to.

then you can repurpose the soundbar if you have another TV or sell it on craigslist to subsidize the speakers.

Man, I should have just asked here from the start! :) Simple is good, and this is exactly the info I needed. Makes perfect sense.

Seriously though, thanks a ton for your help and stickin' with me, I really appreciate it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

Those Pioneers are a little overrated IMO. The bass is good for a bookshelf but I found the mids and highs to sound a bit muffled.

I'm just trying to suggest decent, cheap speakers for him. They sound pretty good to me after running Audyssey. I'm sure I'll upgrade to something better later on but for now, in an apartment, they suit me just fine. People seem to be raving about his ELAC designed speakers so maybe they're better?

E:

Lucious the Llama posted:

Man, I should have just asked here from the start! :) Simple is good, and this is exactly the info I needed. Makes perfect sense.

Seriously though, thanks a ton for your help and stickin' with me, I really appreciate it.

Happy to help. I'm probably towards the bottom of the totem pole here when it comes to speakers so if someone jumps in with a recommendation, they probably know things better than I do.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Don't want to confuse this situation, so hopefully this helps.

The soundbar is 5.1. Lucious already has all the speakers he needs. The TV should pass through 5.1 from hdmi.

The setup should go game console/blu ray/roku -> TV -> soundbar via optical spdif or maybe hdmi arc (not sure how the latter works).

Delete the AVR.

Edit: Actually, give the AVR to me:v:

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 7, 2016

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My wife and I would like to get a set of Bluetooth speakers for our tiny (300 sq ft) cabin.
Any suggestions for speakers that don't cost a million dollars, but are still loud enough to use at a board game gathering/while doing the dishes?
Ideally, it would be a set so there's some stereo separation, but I've heard reports of portable 'one piece' units sounding good.

Also, I looked through this sub forum for a speaker thread or something more appropriate... if there's a better place for this question, please let me know.

Thanks!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

For a place only 300sq ft you'd be better off just buying a set of $20 cabled computer speakers, it's not like you're ever far away from your phone or whatever in a place that size.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DavidAlltheTime posted:

My wife and I would like to get a set of Bluetooth speakers for our tiny (300 sq ft) cabin.
Any suggestions for speakers that don't cost a million dollars, but are still loud enough to use at a board game gathering/while doing the dishes?
Ideally, it would be a set so there's some stereo separation, but I've heard reports of portable 'one piece' units sounding good.

Also, I looked through this sub forum for a speaker thread or something more appropriate... if there's a better place for this question, please let me know.

Thanks!

Logitech UE Boom sounds fantastic and comes in a bunch of sizes. It's not a multi system though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Thanks!

For under a million I recommend the Devialet Phantom or Naim Mu-so. For slightly less money there's stuff like the Aperion Allaire, Audioengine B2 or Kanto YU3. These are all "plug in and leave them" sets, if you want something more portable maybe get 2 UE Booms, they can be set up as a stereo pair.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looking for advice re: extracting a broken pin:

:ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe you can use needle point tweezers, or a toothpick with a dab of superglue on the end.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If it's soft inside, you could use a bent paperclip like you would to pull the cork out of a bottle.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

you could use a tiny drill bit to punch out the center and glue a paperclip in there.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a small chance you can push from inside the amp with a needle or something, so I'd take the top off first and take a peep at the back of those connectors.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

baram. posted:

you could use a tiny drill bit to punch out the center and glue a paperclip in there.

If you did this but drilled in at an angle you could probably stall the bit in the plastic and then pull the whole thing out. The white part in the centre is plastic, right? Maybe solder a wire to the metal part and pull that out?

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 28, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like the plastic around coax, which is really soft. If you heat up a sewing needle or finish nail with a lighter you might be able to melt right in.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The battery of my 4th gen iPod is no longer on this mortal coil so while I am taking it part I thought I would replace the 20 gig HD in it. According to the interwebs the operating system of the iPod is on a rom so it should be a case of just swapping out the HD with a SD card in an adapter.

Has any one done this before and can recommend parts?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a thread for microphone nerds?

Since I got my amp, I thought about getting a simple dynamic XLR mic, and something like the Behringer XM8500 is within a just-playing-around budget.

I also want to get a boom for it on a similar ~£15 budget, but it needs to fit the mic, extend properly from behind my desk between my two monitors, and support some two-axial movement, so it doesn't become a pain. Unfortch, all boom stands look the same, so I'd like to know if there's any cheap one to splurge on with a modicum of quality. (I can always look into pop filters or windscreen later.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ufarn posted:

Is there a thread for microphone nerds?

Since I got my amp, I thought about getting a simple dynamic XLR mic, and something like the Behringer XM8500 is within a just-playing-around budget.

I also want to get a boom for it on a similar ~£15 budget, but it needs to fit the mic, extend properly from behind my desk between my two monitors, and support some two-axial movement, so it doesn't become a pain. Unfortch, all boom stands look the same, so I'd like to know if there's any cheap one to splurge on with a modicum of quality. (I can always look into pop filters or windscreen later.)

I've used those mics before and they're perfectly fine in terms of quality. For the money, superb...

And a boom mic stand is a boom mic stand really, if it's going to just sit static then you don't really need to piss money away on exotic things, something like this is more than adequate. http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Boom-Mic-Stand-by-Gear4music/3GV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Not having seen your setup I can't say for sure but I've never had a desk I could fit a boom stand behind so you might want to go with something like this you can slide around on top of the desk:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-MD5-Desktop-Microphone-Stand/dp/B000MYIIRG