Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Turkeybone,

You don't really need specially-made speakers. In fact, you may even be able to pull it off with the setup you have with the addition of one 1/8" (stereo) to RCA cable.

Check on the back of the CD player, look for an RCA in. If you don't have this, I know you can find one for <$50, as long as you're not going after the ultimate audio experience.

As for your car, the process would be much the same: buy a new head unit with an RCA in and use a 1/8" (stereo) to RCA cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Don’t know if this is the right place, but I’ve got a speaker problem. The clamps have broken on the back of my old speakers. How do I fix that? New crossover or can I just get the terminals?

I’ll attach a picture in a bit.

e: try this https://ibb.co/nkPc9G

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 21, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Dunno what the back of that plastic plate looks like, but I'd be tempted to install some 5 way binding posts on a spare area, and maybe silicone up the old broken terminals if they're no longer airtight. Probly do the other speaker at the same time too.

So I took out a speaker and here’s what I see: https://ibb.co/n5g8ib

How would I connect the binding post? Solder the wires to the terminals the way they are now? And drill a hole in the back of the speaker somewhere?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The saga continues with my speaker. I soldered speaker wire to the terminals, but the speaker doesn't seem to put out any treble. I tried reflowing the joints and reversing the speaker (red to black, black to red), but it still sounds dark and muddy. I don't think they're great joints, but I think they're OK. Am I wrong? Anything else I should try?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nitsuga posted:

The saga continues with my speaker. I soldered speaker wire to the terminals, but the speaker doesn't seem to put out any treble. I tried reflowing the joints and reversing the speaker (red to black, black to red), but it still sounds dark and muddy. I don't think they're great joints, but I think they're OK. Am I wrong? Anything else I should try?

I hate to be obnoxious, but anybody got any ideas on this? I can't really tell when it's cranked, but when I fade it to the right I can hear it for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks! I'll wiggle those wires tomorrow. Pretty neat with the "Loudness" button too. I had a receiver a while back with one of those, and I always kept it pushed in. Now I know why.