Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I apologize if this has been answered already:

I own a LG soundbar for my TV. I live in a small studio apartment and the soundbar is great, but I'd like to get some more bass incorporated into it.

I'm not too sure what I should look for. Can I buy a subwoofer by itself that will act like a receiver? I have an optical cable that comes out of my TV and plugs into the soundbar currently. Or do I need to buy a receiver that will have the subwoofer run into it as well as the soundbar's optical cable?

I'm not looking to spend too much money because I don't need the best sound possible.

*edit* I also have a 5.1 speaker setup for my desktop thats ~16 feet away from my TV. Would it at all be possible to get bass to play out of that subwoofer? Some sort of jerryrigging the sound through my desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

I apologize if this has been answered already:

I own a LG soundbar for my TV. I live in a small studio apartment and the soundbar is great, but I'd like to get some more bass incorporated into it.

I'm not too sure what I should look for. Can I buy a subwoofer by itself that will act like a receiver? I have an optical cable that comes out of my TV and plugs into the soundbar currently. Or do I need to buy a receiver that will have the subwoofer run into it as well as the soundbar's optical cable?

I'm not looking to spend too much money because I don't need the best sound possible.

*edit* I also have a 5.1 speaker setup for my desktop thats ~16 feet away from my TV. Would it at all be possible to get bass to play out of that subwoofer? Some sort of jerryrigging the sound through my desktop?

Sorry about this, don't know if it got overlooked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's because the question has no simple answers with the information provided.

If you could post make and model of the tv, the soundbar and -why not- the speaker setup from your pc, I'll see if some general advice can be distilled from that. Links to pdf manuals for any of them would even be better.

Also an indication of what "not too much money" means to you could be helpful.

Sorry :(

TV: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OOVIEU/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details (manual)
Soundbar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882005085&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-82-005-085-_-Product (manual)
Computer Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000JJM8XE/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332012529&sr=1-5 (manual)
Desktop soundcard is built into the mobo. Has 7.1 and a line in option. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6T_Deluxe

I'd like to spend a maximum of $150 on the subwoofer. If I have to get a receiver I'd be willing to do that.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Might be cheaper to look at replacing the soundbar with one that comes with a subwoofer. Pretty sure I saw one of those somewhere...

Do we know if any wireless subwoofer would be able to work with my current soundbar?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Crapola...

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll hold off on upgrading for now. Seems to be more trouble than its worth.