Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
How much of an impact will upgrading my amp have on the overall sound quality of my setup? I had a Sony SDR-DH520 but just upgraded to a Denon AVR-S900W. My home theater is under construction so I haven't had a chance to try the amp with the speakers (Cerwin Vega) yet. I can't imagine it would really change it that much, if it all, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I just got a nice Logitech one for $28 off Amazon.CA.

Edit: That's the one I got. RCA or 3.5mm output.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have a vintage Yamaha CR-640 that I purchased back in May. It's been running fine recently, UNTIL I hooked up a subwoofer to it. Now it will randomly make a clicking sound (the same sound it makes when I turn the receiver on) while playing music and the music will turn off. After a 30 seconds to a minute, it will click again and the music will turn back on. The lights on the front stay on, and it looks like it's still on, but with the sound it makes and the audio cutting out, it's as if the receiver is turning off and then back on.

The receiver has A/B speaker outputs on the back. Originally I just hooked my stereo speakers up to the A outputs. With the subwoofer, I have it connected via the speaker B outputs on the receiver going to the subwoofer. I have the dial on the front of the receiver set to use both the A and B outputs simultaneously.

Everything works great when it works, but then it will randomly click off and then click back on again when I'm using both sets of speakers. If I disconnect the sub and let it sit for a while, things seem to return to normal. If I hook the sub back up, things are okay for a while, but then this cutting out business returns again.

I have a Yamaha YP-B2 turntable connected to the phono input and a Logitech Bluetooth adapter hooked up to the aux input. This behavior happens on these inputs along with the tuner.

Any thoughts? Is it overloading or heating the receiver? Why have dual stereo speaker outputs if it can't handle it?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Hmm, okay, I have no idea what you said, but the gist of it is I can't hook a sub up to it because it's not compatible and the receiver is shutting down?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

BigFactory posted:

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.

You can read about it there, but that sub is probably not providing enough resistance and your receiver is going into protection mode so it doesn't catch on fire.

Nice receiver, though.

Thanks, I love the look and sound of it. I don't need the sub and can return it, just want to make sure that is the source of the problem before I do return it.

Here's the sub that I bought. It says "The subwoofer provides its own power and includes impedance matching circuitry, so this will not reduce the power output to the front speakers or affect the overall impedance load on the amplifier." But I guess something is still off and the receiver is having a fit.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Hmm, I'll give that a shot and report back. Appreciate the help guys.

Edit: Everything seems good so far. However, the volume for the sub needs to be controlled on the sub itself, which makes sense, but is annoying and likely a deal breaker.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 7, 2015

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Beautiful, thank you. I found the Scosche in stock at a store 10 minutes from my house so I will try tonight.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Just an update if anyone cares or ever experiences something similar:

Turns out it wasn't the amp or the subwoofer that was the problem; it was actually my speaker wire. The slightly frayed ends were giving the receiver fits and it was going into protection mode. I put speaker pins on all the wires and everything is good now. I have the sub hooked up the the receiver with speaker wire using the receiver's B speaker outputs and everything seems fine.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
There are Bluetooth transmitters that plug into headphone jacks. Check Amazon.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Ugh, bought a Chromecast Audio and the Android YouTube app doesn't support it. No streaming music from YouTube, I guess. Really wish Chromecast Audio was compatible with anything that supports Chromecast, but it's not.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Ground loop isolator?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I think he wants to use the sound bar for his L/C/R?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Those Pioneers are a little overrated IMO. The bass is good for a bookshelf but I found the mids and highs to sound a bit muffled.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
What's cheap? That Monoprice tube amp looks cool and has Bluetooth.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I had the Andrew Jones ones and returned them because I wasn't that impressed. I ended up keeping the Polks I already had.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have a Denon 7.1 receiver which i use for watching movies and a vintage receiver and turntable for music. I use the front left and right speakers for both movies and music. Right now I'm changing banana plus in the back of the front left and right speakers depending on what I'm listening to. Doesn't take long to do this, but there must be an easier way. Speaker switches only seem to have one input with multiple outputs. Anyone know of a way to easily switch between the two receivers with the same speakers?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's a Russound AB-2.2 and a Niles DPS1, but the prices are nuts imo.

Wow, yeah, you're right. After taxes that's pushing $200 in Canada. I could buy another set of (used) speakers instead.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Dayton has some cheap, very tiny amplifiers that would work with a Chromecast Audio.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, something like that. The Dayton Audio DTA-100a is 50wpc but a little more expensive, though just as tiny.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Remember that those tiny T-amps get really, really bad once you crank them past 12 o'clock. They're great, but get three times the power you would need for a class A or AB.

Sure, but there aren't many options for tiny 2.0 amp for around $50.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have a pair of Magnepan MG12/QR that I mainly use for listening to vinyl on a vintage stereo. I also use them connected to my 7.1 receiver as the L/R channels. Currently I have an old Cerwin Vega center channel that sounds like poo poo with them. Can anyone recommend anything that would pair well with the Magnepans?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Ugh, both of those are more expensive than what I paid for the pair. Thanks for pointing them out, I guess I'll look for a used one.

Edit: I might just disconnect the center channel completely and have the L/R create a phantom center channel. The auditory illusion of sound coming from between the two speakers when listening to music is surprisingly effective with them.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 15, 2017

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
nm

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Those just look like speakers someone built for their car, I doubt they're worth anything

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

qirex posted:

Me too but the guy asking is in Canada and since it's all refurb/overstock they don't ship a lot of their brands up there. That site rules, though, I got my receiver and speakers through them.

Gibby's electronics supermarket sells refurbs, electronicsforless does as well, crutchfield.ca has sales occasionally. visions.ca is another option.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
You will notice it when sound pans from one side to the other, crossing the center channel. You'll hear it go up then back down. They should be relatively level. I removed the center channel from my 7.1 setup (well, 6.1 now, I guess) completely and have no regrets.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I've bought speaker wire (braided) where the red and black wires weren't attached together.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I dunno, but I used a speaker switch that allows me to use the L/R speakers of my 7.1 system with my vintage amp for listening to records while watching sports.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Do you have a Nvidia Shield

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
that's how it's supposed to look but they're probably saying that just because it's so old.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
What if you disable passthrough on the shield
Nm not what you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was under the impression that Audyssey or whatever the RTA setting on an AV Receiver is basically handled EQ or is it literally just doing time alignment and loudness for all surround speakers? Genuine question.

it won't make a mismatched set of speakers sound the same. like he said, when sound pans from one side to the other (a character moving when they talk, music, whatever) you'll notice a difference with mismatched speakers compared to the seamless flow between matching speakers.