Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Hey, two questions.

I just picked up this Sansui 881 (dumpster find) and was wondering if there is a guide to de-humming (has a quite audible buzz) this unit or something similar, and if there is a place in Canada that sells Capacitors for a decent price. I've always wanted a 70's receiver, but now that I have one I've discovered that old audio equipment ages like everything else.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hob_Gadling posted:

Does the hum change if you touch the receiver body when it's on (or ground it in some other way)? Are the speaker intakes visibly damaged, corrupted etc. in any way? If you tilt the whole unit (without it being connected to anything, of course) does it rattle?

Nope! None of the above and everything is solid, and appears to be in mint condition. I've tried to find some answers in AudioKarma but they appear to be speaking in some manner of moon language.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Nothing connected, hum is present when changed to all settings (AM/FM/PHONO/AUX1/AUX2). When the radio is going it is audible in the background.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I don't have a surge protector since this is my only electronic device besides an old dell pc. Would attaching a wire to the metal frame that all the cct boards are attached to then jamming the other end in the ground of an outlet give me an idea if this was the issue?

Edit: There is a ground attachment point on the back (Duh!), so I hooked up a wire to it and inserted the other end into the ground of the outlet. Made no difference to the buzzing sound. Did I actually "ground" the stereo receiver, or just ruin an old lamp cord?

Blistex fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 8, 2012

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is the chassis actually grounded to the power cord's ground lead? Is the power connector broken somehow?

It's one of the old two prong plugs with both prongs being the same size. I'm pretty sure I don't want to have either of the wires touching the stereo.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Using a multimeter in ohm-meter mode would help immensely to find out if the electronics inside are actually connected to ground - the resistance would be 0.

Is there a specific component I should be taking this reading off of?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Edit: Be careful! The big power capacitors (probably located next to the power connector) can contain enough charge to kill you if you touch their leads, so make sure you safely discharge them before touching anything.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm#ctsdc

Nice thing about this unit is that unplugging it while it's still on will drain the caps.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Thanks for the advice Hippie, I'll try it out when I get back. Not sure how I'm going to ground this thing, but I can at least try and see with a multimetre if it is the problem.

I think I'll make a youtube video of this, might make the situation more clear.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

How can you tell? :-)

Speakers are still on for a second and then fade out, and when I try and short the two large caps next to the power supply they don't spark at all.

Edit: Video of the issue here: http://youtu.be/D6xyz9OIlao

Phone jack doesn't seem to have any buzz. I stuck the speaker cable leads into the phone jack and there was no buzz, even when jacking up way up.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 9, 2012

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
loving yah! There was a ground wire that went from the two huge 10,000uf 50V caps on the power board to the board itself. I just probed it with a screwdriver and the buzz changed intensity. I powered off the unit, removed the screw holding the ground to the board, gave the contact point a bit of a scrape with a flat screwdriver, reattached, tightened, and powerd it up.

Very, very quiet buzz now. Something I can live with, but when I have more time I'm going to check all the ground wires to the different boards and if that doesn't get rid of it completely I'm going to start recapping.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Could you post a picture of your setup? Are these wires just going to be running an inch off the floor, or are you taking them up to wall mounted speakers 5' off the floor? I've never seen that stuff actually used, or a photo of them installed and painted over that was larger than 200x200 pixels or taken from 10+ feet away, which sets off warning bells in my head.

No so much an answer, but possible an alternative.

I've seen people run regular speaker wire under 1/4 round trim and have it come out right behind the units they are going to. Depending on the type you have in your house, (or if you have any at all) you can run several speaker wires through it.

See the gap? It will fit a few runs of wire easily, and you can cut notches in the bottom to allow speaker wire out wherever you want. This stuff is foot for foot cheaper than the wire it will be hiding, so don't worry about it costing a fortune if you make a mess of it.

Either way, you should post some pics.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Barry posted:

Here's a video I just made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oqcsh8HOYQ

I'm not sure what the ideal height is for surround speakers, but they'll be at about that.

I have floor molding that can't really be moved and two doorways to cross, so that's probably out of the question.

After watching that video I have even less of an idea of what you could do. That is a tricky setup you have. The thing that I am most worried about is that the speaker wire is going to cause paint/spackle chipping and will be really obvious.

Good luck.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Barry posted:

Yeah, me too. I was thinking about putting a thin layer of drywall mud (or maybe even something like a matte varnish) over the flat wire before I paint. I'm really not worried about having to remove it in the future, I want it as permanent as possible.

The mud worries me the most. If you put it on thick, it will probably need to be spread a few inches wide to blend it properly so you don't see it bulging out your wall.If you put it on thin, there is a possibility that it will chip off, even if you scuff the area a bit before applying. After all, the wall is going to be vibrating in close proximity to some of those wire runs due to the speakers being attached to them.

Is this an apartment or a house, there is no way to go into the floor, and have them exit out the walls? What's below that room? Basement, crawlspace, or an annoyed neighbour?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Barry posted:

It's a 90+ year old co-op with lathe and plaster walls that are just an enormous pain in the rear end to deal with. As much as I'd prefer to run the wire in the walls, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Below my living room is the co-op board meeting room, oddly enough.

To the right is a giant mirror and fireplace.

Anyway, I went ahead and did the deed. I'm incredibly happy (so far) and I think that once it's painted over it will be essentially invisible, besides possibly the 90's. The adhesive seems really solid and I made it a point to rub the poo poo out of the wire. Here's another video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TMUahlVZ0

Fuuuuuck lathe and plaster! Seriously, I have an 84 year old house and there is enough of that stuff in here to give me headaches whenever I want to do something. On the plus side, you've got some sweet looking trim and moulding. Be sure to let the rest of us know how it turns out after the patching and painting. It would be nice to get a few decent photos as well, to put a stop to all the current ones on review sites that are tiny, taken from far away, and show significant signs of photo shopping.

Barry posted:

They're Klipsch RS-52 II's if you're curious.

I WASN'T :argh: (kidding)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Squirt in some crazy glue to keep the 90's flat and Spackle over them with a wide scraper and a thin layer of drywall compound.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Here's a real :wtf: question for you guys...

My Sansui 881 was acting up and the left channel wasn't working (muted and distorted) when I was listening to an FM station. It was ok when I hit the "MONO" button and disabled stereo mode. I asked on Audiokarma and they all seemed to agree that it was either a dirty pot in the speaker selection or balance switch, and failing that, a loose connection somewhere.

I do all that they suggest and it doesn't work. I happen to tune it to another station and BAM! Both channels work. Turn it back to the first station, only one side works, the other still muted and distorted.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
poo poo! Does this come up for anyone else when they try to go to Audiokarma?

:ohdear:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
A goon received a Crosley Cruiser for xmas (yeah, don't get me started) and he's looking for a replacement stylus for it (one that won't absolutely destroy his LPs). The model number of the turntable is Cr8005a and I'm trying to find a decent replacement that can be shipped to Chile.

1. Anyone know of a decent stylus?
2. Got to be able to ship to Chile.

I'm trying to find one that isn't a one-piece entirely plastic unit (pictured below)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

eddiewalker posted:

Wouldn’t you generally replace the entire cartridge, not just the needle/stylus? And you need to be sure you’ve got enough counterweight on the tonearm to support the new cartridge.

I don’t think the part you linked is the “universal” part. There’s a diamond in that red plastic bit, btw. It’s probably not the most damaging thing in the world as long as the tone arm has the proper weight.

Yeah, I mean the cartridge (been a while since I have talked shop). Some reviewers have said that the original cartridge is not up to snuff and causes damage to the LPs after several runs (as in they can hear the frequency of cracks and pops increase).