Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos

deviant. posted:

Well yes, and I have heard some amazing multichannel mixes. Of course you can get those with Dolby Digital or DTS, and although part of me dislikes lossy compression the fact of the matter is that it's hard to pick out flaws with either format.

I can't remember a time where I accidentally purchased a dual-disc CD + DTS or DD hybrid and thought I had picked up the CD + SACD or DVD-A instead. I'm half-deaf, and even I can hear the difference between DSD/MLP and DTS/DD. Granted, there are some stellar DTS 96/24 tracks out there, but I'd be hard-pressed to say that it's a wash between DTS/DD and SACD/DVD-A.

With that said, to the original poster about DVD-A versus SACD, just get a universal player and enjoy both. Both formats ultimately lost the multichannel audio war, but there are some incredible mixes to be had on both formats. Get them now before they disappear forever and show up on eBay as "!*!*!*!UBER_RARE!*!*!*!*" auctions.

If you want multichannel recommendations across various genres, drop me a PM. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Yes. I accidentally (read: through poor choices of websites) picked up some US-released dual-disc DDs that were releases as dual-disc SACDs in other territories and instantly knew something was up once I fired them up. Most notably would be a pile of Depeche Mode duals and a John Mayer dual. I gave *all* of them a A/B just to see what I was getting with my premium purchase. There just simply wasn't a comparison. The DDs were a bit flat and missed some nuances that the MLP/DSD remixes had. I also had the same experience when I first purchased the 2-channel SACD of Nashville Skyline and compared it to my oft-played CD version. "Lay Lady Lay" just opened up finally.

Audio environments and listening preferences are both subjective, but I feel it's a great disservice to disregard both DVD-A and SACD as worthless or equal formats to DTS and DD remixes.

pastis fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 24, 2007

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Yes again. I really don't any other way of saying it. If your experiences are different, so be it. It's not the end of the world.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos

mickey posted:

I don't mind doing used stuff. I've seen them on ebay selling in that range easily, but I don't know what to get.

Even used, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a decent pre-pro/amp combination at that price. If you can stretch your budget, you might have more luck at the $500 range. Keep in mind that while pre-pro lose their value as new technologies emerge, amps stay pretty consistent in the secondhand market.

You *might* be able to find a used Emotiva combo at $500, if you scour eBay, Audiogon, Videogon, and various A/V forums.