Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
For your video questions that don't quite deserve a whole thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

EDIT: Figured out the answer

Thom Yorke raps fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 21, 2007

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
What are my options for playing media files from my Computer on my TV?

I tried doing the whole TVersity thing through my Xbox 360... No go.

I was considering the AppleTV thing until I found out it has limited codec support.

I've seen this DLink box at Best Buy - http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=318 - and it appears to do what I want it to do, but I'm unsure. What I'd like to be able to do is stream all my music and video files to my TV easily and not have to worry about what codecs a video file is saved with/ or music files being mp3/mp4 or whatever. This DLink thing is also compatible with Rhapsody, a service I've been considering.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I tried doing the whole TVersity thing through my Xbox 360... No go.

What problems did you have with TVersity? I had a lot of problems with it until I upgraded ffdshow, after that it worked fine. There should be a log file in %windir%\system32\TVersityMediaServer.log which may have some information on why it's not working.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Girdle Wax posted:

What problems did you have with TVersity? I had a lot of problems with it until I upgraded ffdshow, after that it worked fine. There should be a log file in %windir%\system32\TVersityMediaServer.log which may have some information on why it's not working.

I tried that, and followed all the instructions in the thread diligently. I installed/reinstalled/re-reinstalled FFdshow and other codecs for sport to no avail. The process was too time consuming for me.

At this point I just want a unit that's legitimately built to function the way I need it to out of the box. Be that AppleTV or this DLink thing or some Slingbox that works in reverse, whatever. lol

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I think it's worth getting an external antenna for OTA local channels instead of using the cable box but I have a friend who thinks I'm nuts. Please confirm I'm not nuts and he's blind. :colbert:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ranma4703 posted:

EDIT: Figured out the answer

I think we should adopt an SH/SC policy of not closing threads, and not deleting stuff when you figure it out. Maybe someone else will have the same problem, and your post of "Durr I'm stupid I fixed it by hitting this button" would help someone who was stuck.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Chemmy posted:

I think we should adopt an SH/SC policy of not closing threads, and not deleting stuff when you figure it out. Maybe someone else will have the same problem, and your post of "Durr I'm stupid I fixed it by hitting this button" would help someone who was stuck.

I like this idea.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Dracon Wolf posted:

I think it's worth getting an external antenna for OTA local channels instead of using the cable box but I have a friend who thinks I'm nuts. Please confirm I'm not nuts and he's blind. :colbert:
If you have cable (and especially if it's digital), and your provider offers your local channels, why would you want an external antenna when you could just tune them on your box, likely with better reception? Are we talking saving money? Because I don't see any other advantage to it other than if they're charging a premium rate for local stations, or as a contingency plan when the cable system goes down periodically.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Handiklap posted:

If you have cable (and especially if it's digital), and your provider offers your local channels, why would you want an external antenna when you could just tune them on your box, likely with better reception? Are we talking saving money? Because I don't see any other advantage to it other than if they're charging a premium rate for local stations, or as a contingency plan when the cable system goes down periodically.

HD OTA is a lot better than through cable/satellite providers in my experience...there are a lot less compression artifacts at least through the providers I have seen (Time Warner and DirecTV)

MaximumSushi
Jun 6, 2005

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif
edit: Answered in another thread.

MaximumSushi fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 22, 2007

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

ntd posted:

HD OTA is a lot better than through cable/satellite providers in my experience...there are a lot less compression artifacts at least through the providers I have seen (Time Warner and DirecTV)

Bingo. In my town our cable company's HD signals look "blocky", definite signs of compression can be seen. I guess you're right though, it could depend on location.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

ntd posted:

Yeah I don't think my brain was working correctly, I was thinking SD. Dracon is definitely not crazy. It's one thing if you don't notice the macroblocking, but if you do, man is it annoying, like reencoded mp3 is annoying.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Don't know if this is more SH/SC stuff but I hooked up my computer to my HDTV via HDMI-DVI cable. I get picture but it's not the right resolution so some things hang off the screen I can't get to. I was told to set my vid card to the native resolution of the TV (which is 1024x1080) but my vid card doesn't show that as a selectable resolution. Am I hosed and need a new card? Or is there a way I can force it to display how I want it? I'm at work and don't have the vid card model handy but I can supply it when I get home if it'll help. It's an ATI Radeon something or other.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Hey, where's the good place to go for getting quality A/V cables at a good price? I know there are some good online places and I'm looking at getting a new quality S-video cable as well as a long HDMI and a HDMI-DVI converter.

Plus, it would be good to know where to go to look for other stuff as well.

Rort
Sep 24, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

Hey, where's the good place to go for getting quality A/V cables at a good price? I know there are some good online places and I'm looking at getting a new quality S-video cable as well as a long HDMI and a HDMI-DVI converter.

http://www.monoprice.com

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Hungryjack posted:

Everyone loves Monoprice...Blue Jeans Cable is another site that gets recommended a lot

ShoogaSlim posted:

Don't know if this is more SH/SC stuff but I hooked up my computer to my HDTV via HDMI-DVI cable. I get picture but it's not the right resolution so some things hang off the screen I can't get to. I was told to set my vid card to the native resolution of the TV (which is 1024x1080) but my vid card doesn't show that as a selectable resolution.

Try PowerStrip http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Is it possible to correct for overscan by changing the resolution of the video file or would that just result in the TV stretching the content again?

Like keep the aspect ratio the same but reduce the overall pixel size to match the viewable area of the TV screen?

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

Disciple posted:

Like keep the aspect ratio the same but reduce the overall pixel size to match the viewable area of the TV screen?

re-encode the video inside some black bars. 10% of black around the video should be enough for most tvs. i cant think of an easy way to do this off the top of my head, its entirely possible with free software though.

download virtualdub and poke around the filters

SuperJens
May 1, 2003

No need for text here please thanks you very much come again
I have a short 4 minute DVD video that I'd like to convert to something smaller to play on our LAN without having to worry about funky codecs like Xvid etc.

What can I use, what do I do? The .vob file I extracted is 250 MB, I figure a 4 minute video can come down to 10 MB? I expect that the quality/size would be much less. Avidemux? What am I doing??

Crazy_Taxi
Dec 31, 2005
my oh my what a wonderful user
I typed a big ol' post and it didn't go through.

How do I make my Sony HDD camcorder's video (60i) look like 24p?
The only program I can edit the raw files with is VirtualDub, but once I convert them to 60i divx videos, I can edit with anything.

VLC Media Player's X deinterlace is almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Later today I'll upload an example file if anyone wants to try their hand at it.

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

I just got a new tv with an s-video input and my video card has an s-video output, I connected them tonight and for some reason the picture is in black and white no matter what settings I change. Is my video card screwed up? If I get a DVI to component cable will that work instead? The TV in question also has component inputs.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Crazy_Taxi posted:

I typed a big ol' post and it didn't go through.

How do I make my Sony HDD camcorder's video (60i) look like 24p?
The only program I can edit the raw files with is VirtualDub, but once I convert them to 60i divx videos, I can edit with anything.

VLC Media Player's X deinterlace is almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Later today I'll upload an example file if anyone wants to try their hand at it.
There are several deinterlacing filters for VirtualDub.

What is Deinterlacing? Facts, solutions, examples.
Smart Deinterlacer Filter
VirtualDub Filters

What format are the raw files? You can probably edit them directly if you install proper codecs. You could also consider compressing them with Huffyuv in VirtualDub so you won't lose any quality to compression.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ntd posted:

Try PowerStrip http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Tried it and used it to create a custom resolution of 1024x1080 but my TV didn't accept it and just went black until I reverted. How come it feels to me like that resolution is out of whack? The page for my TV shows that as it's resolution, though.

quote:

1024 x 1080i Display Resolution
Hitachi’s introduces the world’s first 42-inch high definition HDTV with 1080i resolution for a state of the art plasma viewing experience.

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hds69.shtml

Right now I have it set to 1280x720 and it's as close as I can get to actually looking decent but some image is still spilling over each side and text looks fuzzy on it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Tried it and used it to create a custom resolution of 1024x1080 but my TV didn't accept it and just went black until I reverted. How come it feels to me like that resolution is out of whack? The page for my TV shows that as it's resolution, though.

Right now I have it set to 1280x720 and it's as close as I can get to actually looking decent but some image is still spilling over each side and text looks fuzzy on it.
I guess you could say that resolution is out of whack. The display uses ALiS technology and you could consider it an interlaced display like CRT televisions. That TV apparently doesn't accept 1080p input, so I would try using 1024x540 or 1024x576.

Another problem is that the TV seems to be using overscan. It seems some of the aspect ratio modes desable overscan in 1080i and 720p modes. Try "16:9 STANDARD 2" mode.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
This sin't really video related persay, but I didn't think it warranted its own thread.

I have been looking into buying a flatpanel lcd monitor lately, and was impressed by this monitor, the BENQ 22inch widescreen monitor.

From the googling I have done, $300 seems to be a reasonably good price for a 22 inch widesreen monitor.

The only thing I am concerned about is the following spec:
Interfaces 1 x 15-pin D-Sub
1 x DVI-D (Digital)
1 x HDMI

I do not fully understand what they mean. Right now my CRT monitor has just one cable running from the CPU to the monitor, so why does this monitor have three slots for cables?

Will I need to use all of them, and if not, then what would I use each one for?

ALso, does anyone have any opinions on why I should not buy this monitor? I don't play any games (Diablo2 ocassionally) or do any image processing, I just mostly want it for watching dvds and general use.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

What’s the best way to clean an LCD screen? Are there any specific cleaning products I should buy?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Ok, this isn't strictly a video question, but it doesn't deserve its own thread and it's at least related to video! I am going to buy a Sanyo Z5 LCD projector this week to replace my old Z1. I am only able to aford this because the company I work at has this computer loan up to $2000, interest free... I have checked with them, and if I buy the computer and the projector at the same time from the same place, the projector qualifies as a computer monitor / accessory and is covered under the loan.

This is fine, since I have been planning on making a new HTPC out of a Mac Mini. So I need to find a decent place that sells both the Sanyo Z5 and Mac Minis at a reasonable price. The Mac Mini should be no more than normal Apple price, and the Z5 should be no more than 1499 before the $300 rebate deal.

The only place I've found so far is B&H, which is a fine place, but I live in NY, and don't want to pay $200 in tax if I don't have to. I would sooooooooo much rather buy the projector from ProjectorPeople and get it tax free, and get a free DVD player out of it too (a deal they offer), but they don't sell computers. There must be another place that sells both items!

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Jose Cuervo posted:

I do not fully understand what they mean. Right now my CRT monitor has just one cable running from the CPU to the monitor, so why does this monitor have three slots for cables?

Will I need to use all of them, and if not, then what would I use each one for?

They're just for flexibility...HDMI is beginning to be used in home theatre applications, DVI is becoming quite popular on PCs. Both of those are probably higher quality than the 15 pin d-sub that you are using now...I wouldn't worry about it so much if you aren't picky, but you might want to consider going to DVI if your video card supports it

mallratcal posted:

What’s the best way to clean an LCD screen? Are there any specific cleaning products I should buy?

Microfiber cloth and some sort of solution, some use alcohol diluted with water fairly often, I'm lazy so I just use water, lightly dampen a part of the cloth, don't spray crap onto the screen.

Yes, meatballs!
May 7, 2005

two smokes trevor, let's go

honkykong posted:

I just got a new tv with an s-video input and my video card has an s-video output, I connected them tonight and for some reason the picture is in black and white no matter what settings I change. Is my video card screwed up? If I get a DVI to component cable will that work instead? The TV in question also has component inputs.
check the region setting on the video out of the video card, often it's set to a different one to the television and so while the luminance on the s-video link works the chrominance does not. you would see better quality on a dvi to component connection though as you could use progressive scan which would considerably sharpen the image

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

Gambl0r posted:

There must be another place that sells both items!

Amazon.com has both.

EDIT: Didn't check on the pricing. Projector is $200 more than your limit, sorry :(

clredwolf fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 25, 2007

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What can I do with this cable?

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

What can I do with this cable?

Go to radioshack or monoprice, pick up 3 RCA-BNC connectors, use it as a component video cable. Dunno what you'd use the black cable for. Or get a (slightly harder to find) S-Video to BNC connector, and send both audio and S-Video over it. I dunno, just tossing some ideas out.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

clredwolf posted:

Go to radioshack or monoprice, pick up 3 RCA-BNC connectors, use it as a component video cable. Dunno what you'd use the black cable for. Or get a (slightly harder to find) S-Video to BNC connector, and send both audio and S-Video over it. I dunno, just tossing some ideas out.

It'll work as component just fine.

Usually I see those with 5 BNCs, and it works for converting VGA on one end to RGBHV on the other. Never seen a four-lead before.

pickitup13
Dec 16, 2005

Nothing to see here (posted my question in the correct hdtv thread). Sorry

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

King Hotpants posted:

It'll work as component just fine.

Usually I see those with 5 BNCs, and it works for converting VGA on one end to RGBHV on the other. Never seen a four-lead before.

Thats usually a component feed with a blackburst/sync cable attached.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

magiccarpet posted:

Thats usually a component feed with a blackburst/sync cable attached.

1) What does that do?
2) What kind of equipment uses such a thing?

I have a total of 5 of these cables and have no idea what to do with them

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Dr Tran posted:

1) What does that do?
2) What kind of equipment uses such a thing?

I have a total of 5 of these cables and have no idea what to do with them

We always outsource any thing that is more complex than a projector, but from what I understand, the sync cables ties into a sync generator that help whatever device display the signal correctly and test the quality of the signal basically...I think they can also be used for making sure that analog/digital feeds jive

IIRC, you can just use them as component cables and just leave the black one unhooked, well assuming the BNC ends work for you :)...they are great to have for projectors

ntd fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 26, 2007

Sgt. Rock
Jun 7, 2001

Look at me! I'm whacked outta my fuckin' Brain on Whiskey!
I recently bought the Westinghouse 42" LCD 1080p Monitor (LVM-42W2). The link is below. Now, the TV comes with a VGA port, which I would like to hook up to my xbox 360 (from what I'm told, the xbox 360 HD-DVD drive does show 1080p movies, but only over the VGA cable and not the component cable, for whatever reason). Now, I bought the VGA cables today, but it looks like while I can hook up the video to the monitor, I cannot hook up the audio on the same channel, as the VGA port has a audio mini-jack with it. So, I assume I have two options here: I can buy a L/R audio to mini-jack converter, or I can buy a VGA to DVI converter, because the DVI port has L/R audio. My questions are: which would be better to purchase, and where can I purchase them? If I do the first option, will the sound quality decrease dramatically? If I do the second option, can I expect the video quality to likewise decrease dramatically? If I decide to do the second option, will I still be able to get 1080p on my xbox 360 hd-dvd drive?

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=LVM-42W2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

Sgt. Rock posted:

I can buy a L/R audio to mini-jack converter, or I can buy a VGA to DVI converter, because the DVI port has L/R audio. My questions are: which would be better to purchase, and where can I purchase them?

I assume you're talking about an RCA to minijack converter, like so? I use two of those in my A/V setup (Wii -> Computer -> Stereo), and hear abolsutely no loss in quality. The cheap wal-mart ones work great too, no need for monster cable quality or such. Unless the VGA cable you have is a real POS, you shouldn't notice any signal degregation using that method (we use those VGA cables with a built in minijack connector at work, they work great).

• Locked thread