Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I’ve been on the RF1200 train for quite a few years now, after shoei discontinued the first helmet I had gotten from them.

Fwiw I very much like it on my second one of them. Comfortable and vented enough for me as someone who gets real hot and sweaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really like my RF-1200 but I’m going to be dead rear end honest — I don’t think I’m sensitive enough to how the foam feels or how loud hwy noise is to really say it’s $300 better than the HJC CL-17 I upgraded from. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great helmet but I wasn’t as wowed as I had expected.

It FEELS more quality in the hand, and the materials look better quality, but when it’s on my head I’d be really hard pressed to articulate how the Shoei is better. Maybe the foam is a little softer but it’s nothing that doesn’t immediately disappear when I start focusing on the road.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 11, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone make slim over-ear heading protection that will also fit under a helmet? Long shot I know but I can’t really wear ear plugs these days and I also don’t want to go without hearing protection, and the only “slim” over ear protection i can find is this stuff:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone make slim over-ear heading protection that will also fit under a helmet? Long shot I know but I can’t really wear ear plugs these days and I also don’t want to go without hearing protection, and the only “slim” over ear protection i can find is this stuff:

What’s the issue with wearing earplugs?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

this is a joke right

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It'd be rad if bike helmets came with that kind of over-ear hearing protection embedded.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You could make a helmet with little lever mechanisms under the ears that deploy the cans.

Kickstarter?

JSB, if impaction is the issue with earplugs those molded ones that don't go in the ear canal are your best bet, not as good as regular foamies, but good enough.

the one piece of gear I don't wear are earplugs, I get my hearing monitored every year as part of my job, and I've never deviated from my baseline 10 years ago by a significant margin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

this is a joke right

It’s not

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What’s the issue with wearing earplugs?

They cause crud to get impacted in my ears because apparently my body was built to create ear wax at a superhuman rate.

I wind up having to go to the walk in clinic like once a month to get my ears cleaned after I go deaf in one or the other

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you stopped going to the clinic you’d have perfect hearing protection :eng101:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s not

They cause crud to get impacted in my ears because apparently my body was built to create ear wax at a superhuman rate.

I wind up having to go to the walk in clinic like once a month to get my ears cleaned after I go deaf in one or the other

theoretically those sena helmets work. theoretically

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s not

Silly question but if you cleaned the wax out of your ears before putting in your earplugs for each ride, this wouldn’t be an issue right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The act of cleaning them jams more in. It’s hosed up!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Can you use on-ear plugs? When I worked at a plant in NY that's what a couple of the guys who suffered from impaction issues did, they sit outside the ear canal so they should present less of an issue jamming wax into your canals.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, will those stay on during helmet putting-on-ing and the like?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I dunno, probably depends on helmet and your ears, you mold them to your ear-shape, so they should fit fairly snug, I have giant dumbo ears, and I can get my Shoei helmet on without crushing them much by expanding the base a little and slipping it on at the right angle, after which the ears stay nestled in the little pockets that are supposed to have speakers in them.

Hopefully someone hear has used them before and can comment more helpfully.

As I see it you don't have a whole lotta options

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:(

I’m sorry mate. That sucks.

If it helps, I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum. I generate very little ear wax and it’s the dry kind. Not the waxy kind. It just falls out and never needs cleaning nor does it get impacted.

That may be why I have a bit of tinnitus as there’s hardly any wax to protect me from loud noises. I always wear plugs btw when riding.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You might try these: https://www.earpeace.com/products/m...YxoClNAQAvD_BwE

Normal foam plugs are uncomfortable for me after a little while and I the do seem to cause some issues with compacted wax. These block noise pretty well but don’t sit as deep or seal as tightly so they might work better for you. I mostly just find the much more comfortable than foamies.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those are the ones I use but I find them kind of opposite to your description. Either that or it's just the way I use them. They seal really well and I ram them in there like I'm plugging a leak.

I'm not sure you're going to find anything over-ear. The closest you might come is to go get a custom set of molds made, then cut out the part that actually protrudes into your ear canal, leaving only the bulk of the outer ear plastic to block noise. But I'm not sure how well that would work, or stay in place.

I also looked for something over ear because my right ear canal is deviated and makes like a 90 degree turn right after the inlet, making foamies impossible to insert. Ended up just getting the plugs above and shove them in at an angle that works, but that obv doesn't help you :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 12, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

idea: stethoscope connected to carburetor venturi. rev up the engine and the vacuum will suck the earwax right out of your ears and into the cylinders for extra horsepower.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They stay okay.
Biggest thing is you have to re-mold and mush them in every time you remove them, and they pick up grime from your fingers like crazy. So you go through them kinda quickly, which gets expensive compared to foamies.
If you want to give them a shot, Target or wherever sells them for keeping water out of your ears while swimming. NRR 22:
https://www.target.com/p/ultra-soft-silicone-putty-earplugs-8-pair-up-38-up-8482/-/A-53004764

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I do recall watching a video, where earplugs were tested for effectiveness. And the ones you mold to shape, and re-use continuously, were rated the highest. The vendors at motorcycle events sell them for $50-75, but I'm sure you can buy it on Amazon for less.

If anyone can vouch for a brand, I'll probably buy a set for myself.

And other than your plugs, there are other ways to mitigate sound. Helmets get tested for sound penetration, I bought the quietest helmet I can afford, see my Shubert review few pages ago. Also, wearing a next scarf keeps the air from whistling around your neck and up into the helmet. And keeping wind away from your face really helps. If your windscreen isn't tall enough, you can get an extension for like 30 bucks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303008821411

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 13, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I love that my GT-Air is wonderfully air-tunnel designed to be VERY quiet.

But only in a straight line, turn your head a fraction and you get the most bizarre, whistly harmonics, it's weird.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
clean your loving ears weirdos

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Surely if you push hard enough it'll come out the other side?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

These would probably work.
If you pinched them in half, you could probably just fill up the outside of your ear with only a little bit intruding into your ear canal. I have a pair and really don't like them that much because at times they work so well I can hear my tinnitus over the wind noise and engine. That and they're kind of fiddly. Used to be able to buy just a pair of them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Clean your ears, but don't use q-tips because you just push wax deep into your ear canal and eventually it builds up. Get one of those kits that includes a softener and a bulb to spray your ear out with water.

I of course just use q-tips and twice now I've had to have the doctor get the deep ear wax out. The last time they did it they used a thing that's like water pik for your ears, and it was surprisingly unpleasant.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

drat I always imagined that would be like a deeply soothing/satisfying experience

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've heard it described as the loudest thing in the entire world.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

WHAT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I of course just use q-tips and twice now I've had to have the doctor get the deep ear wax out. The last time they did it they used a thing that's like water pik for your ears, and it was surprisingly unpleasant.

I had a similar thing done once thanks to a bizarre allergic reaction and they used a sort of vacuum device and it was surprisingly un-unpleasant. The feeling of air being sucked into your throat and out your ears (via the eustachian tubes) is extremely weird but somehow very refreshing.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If the pressure wasn't so high it wouldn't have been bad, but it was strong enough that had I developed this device myself I would have assumed I was causing damage to my ear drum.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TheBacon posted:

drat I always imagined that would be like a deeply soothing/satisfying experience

It is satisfying if you've got a really bad impaction on your ear drum, but only in the sense that the uncomfortable sensation of having water skooshed in your ear fixes the extremely painful sensation of being totally deaf/getting stabbed by hard wax deep inside your head.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I actually own one of those ear canal water piks. It’s not super loud although I’m very used to it.

It is extremely satisfying when you go from deaf in one ear to “hearing as a superpower” levels of hearing for sure though

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
:science: clean your ears after you get out of the shower, every shower

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

:science: clean your ears after you get out of the shower, every shower

This is how I do it! with qtips

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A mate of mine is an ENT surgeon, he says not to use cotton buds / qtips to clean your ears. I asked what he uses on himself, and it's cotton buds / qtips.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cotton buds work fine, the reason you're advised not to use them is because medical professionals assume you're an idiot with no fine motor control who'll perforate your eardrum given half a chance.

Anyway I haven't needed to actively clean my ears for ages, because all the wax they make just gets stuck on my earplugs/earphones.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My wife has a similar issue for a different reason: she has no tragus ridge on her ears. Any in-ear buds or protection just fall out. Even the foam ones will eventually work their way back out because the friction isn't enough to keep them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Springfield Fatts posted:

My wife has a similar issue for a different reason: she has no tragus ridge on her ears. Any in-ear buds or protection just fall out. Even the foam ones will eventually work their way back out because the friction isn't enough to keep them in.

She should try the custom moulded ones maybe?