Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

does anyone have any experience with the Alpine Stars SP-1 gloves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

I've recently secured some funding for a bike so its time to buy some stuff to keep my squishy bits on the inside of me where they belong. A stumbling block is that I have about $500 to work with.

Thankfully, I already have a helmet, a 3 year old Vemar that's only been worn a couple times for Go-Karting and once for a track day in a car, so that's not a problem.

Jacket: I'm leaning towards that Corkscrew MotoGP newenough has for peanuts. Does anyone know how it would handle 90+ heat?

Boots: Any opinions on these? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/teknic/defender_motorcycle_boots.html

The waterproofing isn't really necessary, but the price is right.

Gloves: Are these as rubbish as I think they are? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/first_gear/mesh_tex_motorcycle_gloves.html

Also, are short gloves any good or should I just buy gauntlets?

Pants: Everything seems stupid expensive. Uhm...help?

The corkscrew jacket, from what my friends have said, is a very nice jacket. The perforation should help quite a bit with the heat. If you need more, a little underarmor or nike drifit stuff is awesome. You can usually find it at closeout/overstock places like TJmaxx for cheap, 15$ for a shirt, 20$ for a set of pants.

Any boots are better than no boots. The thing you get in the more expensive boots is the torsional protection and heel/toe cups, which would protect you in case of a car running into your ankle and stop you from breaking your ankle. My view on these things is: Anything is cheaper than rehab. Craigslist can be a good option if you're willing to wait a bit. I got a set of SMX-Plus boots that were in good shape with a bunch of wear scuffs for 80$.

Those gloves don't look good, but they don't really look bad either. I'm a stickler for full leather gloves because i like using my hands. Regardless, those would probably protect well enough in 90% of street accidents.

Pants do seem to be stupid expensive for some reason.

If i were in your shoes, with a 500$ budget, i'd go with the jacket:

150$

A* SP-2's, which may or may not be found on closeout as they're sort of in a gray area of production right now ("Current" but not being produced). They'll run you about 80$, max.

So thus far, your total is 230$. If you want to shell out a little more for boots, you can go with the Setup boots, they're a subbrand of Sidi and make some pretty decent gear. That's going to depend on your riding style (if you need toe sliders or will need them in the future or not), and if you like the styling on them. I'd think that the setup boots would protect a bit better than the other ones.

On pants, i'd shoot for some textile stuff with hard armor in it. Something like this:

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/street_cargo_textile_motorcycle_pants.html

That should still leave you within your overall budget.

Loch, sorry, no experience with the SP1's directly, but they'll probably end up replacing the SP2's and look like they're pretty quality. I've never had a problem with my A* gear.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
The corkscrew jacket is nice and I would definitely recommend it as a low budget jacket. I picked one up earlier in the summer as I was piecing together gear with my low budget, and I don't regret the purchase at all. It does fit tight in the arms, and I think it fits a bit tight in the stomach area, but note, I am also a fatass. Its definitely a sturdy jacket and really doesn't get too hot as long as you take out the liner, and are wearing a rather light shirt(Under armor is godly).

I bought these gloves as well and can't tell you if they will hold up well in a crash by experience, but they don't feel as cheap as the price.
http://newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/joe_rocket/blaster_2point0_motorcycle_gloves.html
I saw it more as, $20 is pretty hard to beat for gloves. Personally, I'm a fan of gauntlet style gloves because short gloves feel weird to me and I like to be able to pull my gloves over my jacket, I feel safer.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006
Please do me in the butt, big daddy!

I am a super newb, so take this with a humongous grain of salt. I have these boots and they seem like they have a good deal of protection for day to day street riding. Admittedly they are nowhere near track-level boots, but they do have decent ankle support (as in, I can't bend my ankles when walking in them) and the foot part is similarly protected. They're definitely a huge step up from non-motorcycle boots (e.g. hiking boots) but an equal step behind good track (spaceman) boots.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
OK, so is there a company that makes women's track pants, or do I have to buy pants with a men's cut? I'm just looking now, not really going to buy for a while, but I'm just curious as I haven't seen any. Would I have to take a pair of women's leather pants and attach the velcro myself? Is that even possible?

edit: I'm against getting men's stuff, as I'm pretty curvy in the hip area, and so either the waist or the hips never fit when I wear guy stuff (jeans, bike jackets etc).

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

teknicolor posted:

OK, so is there a company that makes women's track pants, or do I have to buy pants with a men's cut? I'm just looking now, not really going to buy for a while, but I'm just curious as I haven't seen any. Would I have to take a pair of women's leather pants and attach the velcro myself? Is that even possible?

edit: I'm against getting men's stuff, as I'm pretty curvy in the hip area, and so either the waist or the hips never fit when I wear guy stuff (jeans, bike jackets etc).

I think AlpineStar makes a lot of womans gear.

\/\/\/\/ It seems I can't read, sorry about that. \/\/\/\/

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 8, 2007

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Trintintin posted:

I think AlpineStar makes a lot of womans gear.

Yes many companies make women's gear, I'm asking specifically about women's track pants.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

redscare posted:

I've recently secured some funding for a bike so its time to buy some stuff to keep my squishy bits on the inside of me where they belong. A stumbling block is that I have about $500 to work with.

Thankfully, I already have a helmet, a 3 year old Vemar that's only been worn a couple times for Go-Karting and once for a track day in a car, so that's not a problem.

Jacket: I'm leaning towards that Corkscrew MotoGP newenough has for peanuts. Does anyone know how it would handle 90+ heat?

Boots: Any opinions on these? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/teknic/defender_motorcycle_boots.html

The waterproofing isn't really necessary, but the price is right.

Gloves: Are these as rubbish as I think they are? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/first_gear/mesh_tex_motorcycle_gloves.html

Also, are short gloves any good or should I just buy gauntlets?

Pants: Everything seems stupid expensive. Uhm...help?

I own the Corkscrew Jacket. I've ridden in 90+ degree heat with it and I haven't died yet, but it's not full perf so don't expect anything amazing (most of the torso isn't perforated). For the price you really can't complain though, I love mine.

I also own those boots... they're really warm, I only wear them in the rain and cold weather.

Don't buy mesh-tex gloves. I've seen too many pairs of good leather gloves wear through... buy good stuff!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Blaise posted:

I own the Corkscrew Jacket. I've ridden in 90+ degree heat with it and I haven't died yet, but it's not full perf so don't expect anything amazing (most of the torso isn't perforated). For the price you really can't complain though, I love mine.

I also own those boots... they're really warm, I only wear them in the rain and cold weather.

Don't buy mesh-tex gloves. I've seen too many pairs of good leather gloves wear through... buy good stuff!

I had a feeling about the gloves. Mesh stuff in general, from what I've seen here, seems pretty dinky. I'm leaning towards getting these: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/gloves/shift/dyer_motorcycle_gloves.html

For the boots, I think I'm going to get the SetUps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How long do you guys usually go before replacing gloves? I've got about 5,000 miles on my current pair and the left hand is starting to crease pretty badly, which bothers my hand. I was wondering if 5k miles is about average, high, or low?

I'm tempted to buy the exact same pair as I like the fit, but they weren't exactly cheap ($70) and if a different glove will double the life, I'd be all for checking it out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

teknicolor posted:

Yes many companies make women's gear, I'm asking specifically about women's track pants.

Considering that track pants are typically just normal pants with knee slider attachments, why not just buy a decent set of leather pants that fit and then get slider velcro added to them? Also, I learned with my first pair of leather pants...if you expect to be able to move around on the bike, you need ones that fit right. The A* ones, while expensive, seem to have all the protective features you'd need in a set of track pants (CE armor, hip padding, knee armor, decent quality leather). A seamstress or leatherworker should be able to add velcro patches for fairly cheap. Just make sure they stitch the hell out of them.

I thought that the A* women's pants may be lacking in shin protection, but looking at my joe rocket one piece, it appears that that's really not the case. Besides, with over the pant boots, you're going to end up with good shin protection anyways.

Uthor posted:

How long do you guys usually go before replacing gloves? I've got about 5,000 miles on my current pair and the left hand is starting to crease pretty badly, which bothers my hand. I was wondering if 5k miles is about average, high, or low?

I'm tempted to buy the exact same pair as I like the fit, but they weren't exactly cheap ($70) and if a different glove will double the life, I'd be all for checking it out.

What sort of conditions are you riding in? Who makes the gloves? I got roughly 20k out of my A* SP-2's before they started to wear through at the fingertips. Talking to my local shop recently, i learned that A* would fix them for me for free, just had to send them in, but oh well. My GP-Plus gloves took about 4k just to break in correctly, but i probably bought them in a size too small. IMO, gloves should feel too tight when you get them. High quality gloves will stretch and mold to your hand until they feel like a second skin. My A* gear always did it, but my next set of gloves will likely be some Helimot ones.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Uthor posted:

About 60k miles between two pairs, most of it on my A*'s though. Neither are worn through in any part, so they're staying on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, they aren't wearing through, just creasing in all the wrong spots on the palm. They were very tight when I bought them, but they seem perfect now. They're okay for an hour or two, but then begin to bother me.

I don't usually wear them for long rides, usually just sunny days in the summer for short rides during the week and 3-6 hour trips on weekends. I've had them wet once a long time ago.

They're Cortech Accelerator gloves. I'm going to try using some leather lotion to maybe soften up the palm. I'll probably live with them 'til it cools off again and then look at the Alpinestars for fall gloves. They seem to get good recommendations. If I like 'em, then I'll look at getting a new summer pair. It sucks because I loves everything else about the gloves and the right glove is fine.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006

teknicolor posted:

I'm in the market for street pants, but in the process of looking, I have seen women's track pants. For example, Alpinestars has these. Dainese makes some too.

I'd bet most of the major companies do. I'm not sure about length tho :(

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Juneau posted:

I'm in the market for street pants, but in the process of looking, I have seen women's track pants. For example, Alpinestars has these. Dainese makes some too.

Thank you this is exactly what I was hoping for. BTW, track pants are measured to the top or middle of the ankle, so as not to mess with your boots (at least most track pants I've seen are). I don't know what you mean by length, so I'm just assuming you saw some inseam measurements. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Juneau posted:

Thanks for the link...Need to find some of those for my g/f. :)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Are Vanson leather jackets worth the $$$? I'm in the market for a new heavy jacket. I like some of their stuff, but man, that's some pricetag.

Uthor posted:

They're Cortech Accelerator gloves. I'm going to try using some leather lotion to maybe soften up the palm. I'll probably live with them 'til it cools off again and then look at the Alpinestars for fall gloves. They seem to get good recommendations. If I like 'em, then I'll look at getting a new summer pair. It sucks because I loves everything else about the gloves and the right glove is fine.
My Accelerators are pretty creasy, too. It's unfortunate, because you're right -- otherwise, they're nice gloves.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Uthor posted:

Wow, long string of quoted posts, but I was wondering, aventari, did you end up getting this bag? What are your thoughts. I still don't need one, but I want one. I'm on the lookout for the black to come back into stock, but I want to know if I'm wasting my time (not as good as advertised, too small, etc).

Yeah I got the bag and I just started using it this week because you asked about it :)

Honestly, it's pretty terrible. If I was ONLY carrying around my laptop it would be fine, but if I try to carry my laptop, clear face shield and an inner jacket liner then its almost too much for the bag and it wont zip up. It doesn't have nearly as much capacity as it should. I'm not happy with it at all, and will go back to wearing my normal Jansport type back pack when I dont absolutely need to carry a laptop around. It's also a pain to access the normal stuff i carry in the back pocket like phone/wallet and keys.

aventari fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 9, 2007

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

aventari posted:

Yeah I got the bag and I just started using it this week because you asked about it :)

Honestly, it's pretty terrible. If I was ONLY carrying around my laptop it would be fine, but if I try to carry my laptop, clear face shield and an inner jacket liner then its almost too much for the bag and it wont zip up. It doesn't have nearly as much capacity as it should. I'm not happy with it at all, and will go back to wearing my normal Jansport type back pack when I dont absolutely need to carry a laptop around. It's also a pain to access the normal stuff i carry in the back pocket like phone/wallet and keys.

That sucks. I've read a lot of reviews that complained about that, but also said that it is very tall. Seemed like a contradiction. The security aspect is what intrigued me as I calculated that I carry over $500 of stuff in the outermost pocket of my current bag sometimes.

You bought the camo bag, right? I was gonna say eBay it, but it's the black bag that is in demand.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006

rope kid posted:

Are Vanson leather jackets worth the $$$? I'm in the market for a new heavy jacket. I like some of their stuff, but man, that's some pricetag.
I dunno if it's exactly because newenough is liquidating their Vanson stuff that you brought this up, but they are. They've got quite a few jackets that are 50% or more marked down. However sizes are limited in quite a few things.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

LochNessMonster posted:

does anyone have any experience with the Alpine Stars SP-1 gloves?

I've had these for about a year. They fit great after they're broken in.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Any opinions on these pants?

http://www.newenough.com/protective..._overpants.html

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

orinth posted:

I've had these for about a year. They fit great after they're broken in.

I can attest to that. Wear them through a couple of rainstorms and drat, they feel great. Mine are about 2 years old and look broken in but not worn.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

redscare posted:

I have them, my opinion is they are badly made. I had one of the plastic clips break after something like two months. Also, the whole 8 inch zipper thing just doesn't seem like it would help much in an accident. They do work ok as overpants though I guess.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Personally, i'd go with something with CE approved knee armor, but they're better than jeans.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

pr0zac posted:

I have them, my opinion is they are badly made. I had one of the plastic clips break after something like two months. Also, the whole 8 inch zipper thing just doesn't seem like it would help much in an accident. They do work ok as overpants though I guess.

Glad I didn't order them then, thanks.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

redscare posted:

Great as part of a commuting outfit, but not exactly the best for weekend rayeling. I lowsided in a pair at ~40mph and had the entire knee blow out down to almost the last layer of mesh liner. You really can't ask much more from a textile pant, I just think they'd be a better deal for $30 less.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

redscare posted:

Terminal posted:

Great as part of a commuting outfit, but not exactly the best for weekend rayeling. I lowsided in a pair at ~40mph and had the entire knee blow out down to almost the last layer of mesh liner. You really can't ask much more from a textile pant, I just think they'd be a better deal for $30 less.

This is pretty much how I feel. I didn't have a problem with their construction, they are actually really good for commuting. Reasonable protection and easy to get in and out of. I even wore them for nights out as well a few times and they look perfectly fine for that (just going out)

They were quite pricey though and didn't hold up that well in my 30-40mph lowside

I ordered a set of these to replace them: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/caliber_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

and will be reporting how they are next week.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

rope kid posted:

I have a fully-perfed Vanson leather jacket that I bought back around '97 or '98. Still looks great. Comfortable, good protection. No complaints.

fooquestionmark
Nov 27, 2005

FUTURE DARWIN AWARD WINNER

redscare posted:

I have a pair and love them, very comfortable. I was between sizes when I got them and ended up getting them in a medium and they are a bit baggy. In 95 degree weather I still end up sweating my balls clean off even with the stupid mesh strip on your butt.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

What is the purpose of the offroad motorcross style helmet versus a normal full face helmet? Just more ventilation? I was looking at the KBC Super-X, has anyone had experience with that model?

I don't have a bike yet, so I'm just looking around for gear now. There are too many freakin brands...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So I was trying on helmets at the (two) local shops today, looking to get my first full-face, and I liked two based on fit/price... the Z1R Stance and HJC CL-15. I wore them both for a while and they both seemed pretty comfy, though I think the Z1R fit a little better, they were at separate shops so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparo.

Anyone have experience with either of these? I've read reviews on Z1R and HJC helmets, but I couldn't find any professional reviews on either of these exact models. How's the visor swap process on the Z1R? I didn't think to look on the Z1R, but the HJC's was a breeze.

Is pad "break-in" something to consider? The HJC seemed tighter than the Z1R but if the pads will sqeeze down just a little with time...

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

So I was trying on helmets at the (two) local shops today, looking to get my first full-face, and I liked two based on fit/price... the Z1R Stance and HJC CL-15. I wore them both for a while and they both seemed pretty comfy, though I think the Z1R fit a little better, they were at separate shops so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparo.

Anyone have experience with either of these? I've read reviews on Z1R and HJC helmets, but I couldn't find any professional reviews on either of these exact models. How's the visor swap process on the Z1R? I didn't think to look on the Z1R, but the HJC's was a breeze.

Is pad "break-in" something to consider? The HJC seemed tighter than the Z1R but if the pads will sqeeze down just a little with time...
I have a Z1R Stance solid (flat black) and I like it well enough. The visor swaps are easy, there's a clip on either side that releases the current visor (when it's tilted up), install the new visor in the same position, close the locks and slide it down.

My gf has an HJC, and I think it's the CL-15. My understanding with hers is that she's got a little more ear-room than my Z1R, but one thing to consider is that the HJC doesn't provide many positions for how open the visor is. Basically, while I'm riding, especially on hot days, I like to have the visor open 1-1.5" or so, to get good flow (the Z1R vents are garbage), however, with the HJC, she can't do that. She gets something like 2+ inches or so (too open) or just barely cracked open, which doesn't provide much over 'closed'.

I think Z3n was mentioning that the Z1R's did better than several more expensive helmets in some recent testing they did. I think that was a few pages back in this thread, with some links and reading materials.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

It's really long, there it is so you don't have to go digging back through.

The only reason to get a more expensive helmet is because you feel the fit and finish is better. It's questionable as to if it will protect better or not. For someone like me, who does a lot of commuter miles and a lot of freeway riding, how my helmet feels at 75-90mph is very, very important. If it whistles, tracks funny, etc. at those speeds, i'm really not interested. This is why an HJC AC12 carbon fiber is not in my future. That helmet whistles like a mofo at speed.

The issue of level of protection is so controversial that it's almost pointless to really get into it. It's kinda like oil...people will decide that this is the way they believe it is, and thusly that's better. When it comes to modern, full face (non flip) helmets, they're pretty much all good. If you're not racing the isle of mann, you'll probably never use the protection of the Arai's. For low speed, day to day accidents, you'll probably, from the motorcyclist article, be protected best by a Z1R. But as always, that's up to debate.

Personally, i'm going with shark because they fit right, they're race utilized, and you can find them for fairly cheap on ebay, and they performed well in the motorcyclist testing. Certainly the best out of the helmets that i've tried wearing. Win/Win/Win.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Break-in definitely is a factor. Within 2 weeks you will notice a big difference in fit. Tighter is better. The pads will mold to your face.

(unless of course it's a "makes your face numb kind of tight" or something)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Thanks for the input on the Stance, Fantastipotamus, and the general comments, Z3n. I had already seen and read the bulk of that article. I ride a scooter, and although I ride my dad's Harley periodically, I really won't be going all that fast all that regularly (my scooter tops at ~60, and it takes a while to get there).

Doctor Zero posted:

Break-in definitely is a factor. Within 2 weeks you will notice a big difference in fit. Tighter is better. The pads will mold to your face.

(unless of course it's a "makes your face numb kind of tight" or something)

If that's the case I'll probably go for the HJC, then. It fit snug to the point where it was just barely less comfortable than the Z1R, but if it's going to break in then it'd be perfect. Thanks.

I may go buy that CL-15 tomorrow. :)

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Looking at kevlar reinforced jeans, and what the hell is the difference between the two:

http://www.dragginjeans.com/
http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/

Seems that the Australian site has different cuts that look alot more comfortable and like regular jeans. The price is pretty steep though.

Edit:

Anyone have any good reccomendation for overpants that can go easily over BDU pants + boots, without removal of the boots? I'd like to start riding to school more often, but uniform days can be a pain.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Z3n posted:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

It's really long, there it is so you don't have to go digging back through.

The only reason to get a more expensive helmet is because you feel the fit and finish is better. It's questionable as to if it will protect better or not. For someone like me, who does a lot of commuter miles and a lot of freeway riding, how my helmet feels at 75-90mph is very, very important. If it whistles, tracks funny, etc. at those speeds, i'm really not interested. This is why an HJC AC12 carbon fiber is not in my future. That helmet whistles like a mofo at speed.

The issue of level of protection is so controversial that it's almost pointless to really get into it. It's kinda like oil...people will decide that this is the way they believe it is, and thusly that's better. When it comes to modern, full face (non flip) helmets, they're pretty much all good. If you're not racing the isle of mann, you'll probably never use the protection of the Arai's. For low speed, day to day accidents, you'll probably, from the motorcyclist article, be protected best by a Z1R. But as always, that's up to debate.

Personally, i'm going with shark because they fit right, they're race utilized, and you can find them for fairly cheap on ebay, and they performed well in the motorcyclist testing. Certainly the best out of the helmets that i've tried wearing. Win/Win/Win.

I think it's worth reading the reply that the Snell foundation wrote to motorcyclist at the bottom of the article. In addition there was a test done in europe where they used a much more complex combination of impacts to test the helmet. It was posted on here quite a while ago, but I haven't ever been able to find another copy of it. I'm definitely not a helmet snob, I happen to wear a Shoei because of the fit and the quality of the materials. My Shoei has held up to years of riding and it's not worn out one bit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Looking at kevlar reinforced jeans, and what the hell is the difference between the two:

http://www.dragginjeans.com/
http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/

Seems that the Australian site has different cuts that look alot more comfortable and like regular jeans. The price is pretty steep though.

Edit:

Anyone have any good reccomendation for overpants that can go easily over BDU pants + boots, without removal of the boots? I'd like to start riding to school more often, but uniform days can be a pain.

No help on the draggin jeans bit, i wouldn't trust them in an accident. I would however, trust a set of textile overpants with hard armor in the knees. Which is exactly what i'd recommend to you. Just about anything that's got CE approved knee armor will give enough protection in terms of the quality of the fabric/kevlar areas.

n8r, i think the main thing that can be taken away from that article is simply that it doesn't matter what full face helmet you wear, as long as you're wearing a full face, dot level helmet (ie. not a novelty item). In my mind, it's so hard to predict what sort of impact you'll be taking in an accident that shooting for type A or B construction is worthless. As long as your helmet fits, you're comfortable wearing it, it's not obstructing your vision, it's probably just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

No help on the draggin jeans bit, i wouldn't trust them in an accident. I would however, trust a set of textile overpants with hard armor in the knees. Which is exactly what i'd recommend to you. Just about anything that's got CE approved knee armor will give enough protection in terms of the quality of the fabric/kevlar areas.

I think a lot of us are looking for something to wear around town and not have to carry when we get to our destination. When I ride to class I have to carry my gear around campus for 4 hours (leave helmet and gloves locked to bike) and so I wear jeans. Carrying my pants around also is just not feasible, people already get annoyed at me enough as it is for taking up an extra seat with my jacket. Having something more protective than jeans that are still comfortable to wear all day is the goal, one textile overpants don't meet. I don't think anyone asking about kevlar jeans is planning on riding at 80mph in them and expecting protection at the level of full gear, just an improved amount of abrasion protection at 30-40 mph around town.