Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
No issue with mine, but we haven't had a warm day in like eight months so my usage has been slight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Razzled posted:

Well my special order came in today. It's super loving nice.

I'm really really pleased with how the high viz graphics looks. It's very elegantly done I feel.

Also, I am an gigantic idiot who should stay away from salesmen. Because I also got sold into buying a Dainese jacket + pants (they're also very nice though)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frame-textile-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-new-drake-air-textile-pants

The only thing I didn't buy were boots because the bilt ones fit terribly and felt like poo poo in general and the A* ones were too expensive.

so excited to ride my bike

That's a snazzy looking helmet.

That is not at all a bad price for a textile jacket, especially from a manufacturer like Dainese. For comparison, the MSRP on my Rev'It Airwave was $200 (was OOS at RevZilla, got it for $160 after I added it to my cart on another site, changed my mind, and they emailed me with a 20% off coupon saying they really wanted my business...), and it's not terribly high quality/the zipper has gone to poo poo. I'd have happily paid $260 for something that looks and is better.

I'm normally pretty frugal and my gear tends to reflect that, but splashing out on something you want to wear (assuming you can afford it) is far from the worst idea, especially as you're just starting out and are building the habit of wearing gear.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

(was OOS at RevZilla, got it for $160 after I added it to my cart on another site, changed my mind, and they emailed me with a 20% off coupon saying they really wanted my business...)
What site was this?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

What site was this?

The Transportation Revolution, a European (Ducati/Triumph/Vespa) bike/gear shop in New Orleans. Were at least as nice as RevZilla to deal with (I guess more so, considering how they hunted me down to offer me such a nice deal :kiddo:), shame the jacket kinda sucked, but can hardly fault the store for that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I haven't been very impressed with the build quality on my Airwave jacket either, the zipper specifically.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's a snazzy looking helmet.

That is not at all a bad price for a textile jacket, especially from a manufacturer like Dainese. For comparison, the MSRP on my Rev'It Airwave was $200 (was OOS at RevZilla, got it for $160 after I added it to my cart on another site, changed my mind, and they emailed me with a 20% off coupon saying they really wanted my business...), and it's not terribly high quality/the zipper has gone to poo poo. I'd have happily paid $260 for something that looks and is better.

I'm normally pretty frugal and my gear tends to reflect that, but splashing out on something you want to wear (assuming you can afford it) is far from the worst idea, especially as you're just starting out and are building the habit of wearing gear.

Yeah, I don't regret it, I was just poking fun at myself. I got a sweet deal too, from my 15% MSF discount and they were running some promotion where they pay for the tax on Shoei helmets, so I saved another ~80 bucks. The only slight bummer was that the dainese jacket needs a separate back protector so that was another like 50 bucks.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

So I just signed up for my first track day and I need a one piece suit. I don't really know where to look for used stuff, but revzilla has this

http://www.revzilla.com/product/cortech-latigo-rr-one-piece-leather-suit#size_chart_tab

It seems to have pretty good reviews, good "bang for your buck". The model in the review is about my size and wearing a small, so I'd feel pretty confident that it would fit.

What do you guys think? What are some good places to look for used gear in the bay area? Would I really save that much vs this at about 550 dollars? I'm not even sure I'll enjoy track riding (but of course I hope I do)

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Cortech is Tourmaster stuff. I am 99% sure I saw that suit on a fellow rider in person last season. I thought it looked pretty sharp.

At $540 I'm interested in possibly buying one for myself. I have never owned a one piece suit. Is it possibly end of life and that's why it's discounted?

Definitely post back if you get it. I want to know how you like it.

And....I've never heard of anyone not loving track riding.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Stugazi posted:

Cortech is Tourmaster stuff. I am 99% sure I saw that suit on a fellow rider in person last season. I thought it looked pretty sharp.

At $540 I'm interested in possibly buying one for myself. I have never owned a one piece suit. Is it possibly end of life and that's why it's discounted?

Definitely post back if you get it. I want to know how you like it.

And....I've never heard of anyone not loving track riding.

It really does look sharp, plus the white + red one would look great with my bike... that's important for... reasons... safety reasons

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ADINSX posted:

So I just signed up for my first track day and I need a one piece suit. I don't really know where to look for used stuff, but revzilla has this

http://www.revzilla.com/product/cortech-latigo-rr-one-piece-leather-suit#size_chart_tab

It seems to have pretty good reviews, good "bang for your buck". The model in the review is about my size and wearing a small, so I'd feel pretty confident that it would fit.

What do you guys think? What are some good places to look for used gear in the bay area? Would I really save that much vs this at about 550 dollars? I'm not even sure I'll enjoy track riding (but of course I hope I do)

Before you buy anything, check out the used suits at helimot. You can get them for cheap, they're good quality, and they're really nice for the price if something fits you, which you have a pretty decent chance of.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Rainy day riders: Do you have separate rain gear, waterproof primary gear, or waterproof overgear? What have you found that works best?

I apologize if I am spamming questions, but I want to not waste money on crappy gear or bad purchases.

There's just so much information and the OP is so old... :(

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I used to have a set of Frog Toggs I rode in. Worked fine. Your hands will probably get wet, I've never owned a pair of gloves that took rain worth a drat.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My primary jacket has Gore Tex in it, and I have a pair of waterproof liners for my overpants. My eventual goal is to get a pair of Gore Tex overpants as well.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Z3n posted:

Before you buy anything, check out the used suits at helimot. You can get them for cheap, they're good quality, and they're really nice for the price if something fits you, which you have a pretty decent chance of.

yeah I think I'm gonna head over today, I checked online and they only had 2 used suits listed, but that could just be because its a little shop and it has a terrible website.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ADINSX posted:

yeah I think I'm gonna head over today, I checked online and they only had 2 used suits listed, but that could just be because its a little shop and it has a terrible website.

Yeah go in in person, say hi to Helmut for me. He's not exactly the most tech savvy guy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Rainy day riders: Do you have separate rain gear, waterproof primary gear, or waterproof overgear? What have you found that works best?

I apologize if I am spamming questions, but I want to not waste money on crappy gear or bad purchases.

Rainy country rider here, waterproof primary gear. Dainese Gore-Tex jacket and Gore-Tex pants, Daytona Gore-Tex boots. Summer gloves I just usually have regular leather with some perforations for ventilation, (I need a new pair actually), this winter I just picked up some Rukka Gore-Tex 3 finger gloves. Warm and dry.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Welp, I did go see Helmut, and I ended up buying a used track suit for 300 dollars. It nearly fit me perfectly, about as close as off the shelf can get. The only problem is its about the least attractive color combination you could imagine. Black and grey with space age style shiny shoulders and hips. Like, the same material people in the 30s thought we would be wearing every day. I'll be picking it up next week because they had to mend a little hole at the knee, super excited :)

Z3n, I did indeed tell him you said hi, I think he may have given me a better deal because of it :O So thanks I owe you 8)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Beach Bum posted:

Depends on how long i'm going to be out in the rain. I have textiles that have knock off gortex that is mostly waterproof but long distances I use dedicated waterproofs from a builders merchants.

Unless you are paying the big money for Gortex then your gear will only be mostly waterproof.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Welp, I did go see Helmut, and I ended up buying a used track suit for 300 dollars. It nearly fit me perfectly, about as close as off the shelf can get. The only problem is its about the least attractive color combination you could imagine. Black and grey with space age style shiny shoulders and hips. Like, the same material people in the 30s thought we would be wearing every day. I'll be picking it up next week because they had to mend a little hole at the knee, super excited :)

Z3n, I did indeed tell him you said hi, I think he may have given me a better deal because of it :O So thanks I owe you 8)

Woo! Awesome. That is also literally the story of every used suit he sells - we have some amazing color combos floating around with my group of friends.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Beach Bum posted:

Year-round Seattle rider here. We have near-constant light rain and occasional proper rain. So most of my trips (light/moderate rain, in-town commuting) waterproof primary gear works just fine. But for longer rides, or in heavier rain, definitely proper rain gear on top. I have a Helly Hansen PVC jacket that is impermeable (both ways - so if it's warm I'll soak from the inside-out) and some Frogg Togg pants, which were cheap, and worked well for a long time but finally started coming apart.

Most waterproof primary gear has a regular textile outer layer and a waterproof middle layer, so while you might stay dry inside the outer layer will soak. And that poo poo can take a very long time to dry once it's soaked - longer than overnight - which is my main motivation for waterproof overgear. It sucks putting heavy, wet gear back on at the end of a workday... and the start of the next.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Wet weather rider here (Portland, OR).

I've got a relatively cheap Tourmaster set -- the Jett jacket, and the overpants. My first experience in heavy rain ended up with my forearms/elbows and stomach pretty much soaked.

I got some NikWax wash-in waterproofer, and the spray-on stuff, and went at it again. Stayed much dryer this time. Waterproof gloves seem like unicorn tears. I got a pair, and the leather gets soaked. So, went with the NikWax glove proofing stuff, and that worked really well. I also picked up a Frog Toggz cheapo outer rain jacket which is fantastic. I know it's not the sturdiest, but if you're in a place where you don't have constant rain (or have some warning), you can pack one of those up really small and just keep it in a backpack or tank bag, then just use whatever jacket you really like.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you get reasonably good gear and then use some NikWax, it can be pretty waterproof. This is probably a good option for folks on a budget.

With that said, I'm probably going to be picking up a Firstgear Kathmandu jacket soon, because the Jett is alright, but the collar tends to try to choke me out when I'm at speed in any kind of a tuck.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
For those of you looking for waterproof gloves http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-rubber-overglove

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

We're sorry, but this product has been discontinued and is no longer available for sale.

:catstare:

Someone suggested on another forum that you can use those cheapo nitrile or latex gloves ($5 for a pack of 20 at Home Depot, etc.) under your gloves for extra warmth. Might work to keep your hands dry, but your gloves will definitely be damp.

Firstgear does a pair of Kathmandu gloves that are mostly neoprene and textile, with just little patches of leather on the fingers and palms. Those might work pretty well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

That looks hilariously uncomfortable, not just because it won't breathe at all, but also because gloves like that are essentially impossible to get to fit right so they end up floppy and frustrating to operate anything with with any kind of precision.

I'm not endorsing the latex glove idea but if you must wear them, put some baby powder in them before putting them on.

I've said it before but with wet-weather gear it's cheap, effective, comfortable, pick two.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I currently have a Tourmaster textile jacket. I'm looking to upgrade to a leather jacket in the 300 dollar range and boots in the 100 dollar range. I live in Michigan and only ride April to November, but am planning long trips to Kentucky and Tennessee this summer. I don't really know what brands to avoid/seek?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Depending on your body type, you should seek Dainese, although you probably won't find anything at that price at this time of year. AGV and Rev'It are also good. Icon and Joe Rocket seem to be poorly regarded.

As far as boots go, you *might* be able to find something halfway decent by A* at that price. You're really going to be looking at $200-$300 before you start getting into quality boots, though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Has anyone who's done the latest SMH-10 firmware update (the one with universal bluetooth intercom) noticed a dropoff in reliability? Not even talking about intercom mode, but I seem to get a lot more frequent "INTERCOM FAILED" incidents than I used to when I'm listening to music.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Anyone have either of these jackets:

http://www.bikebandit.com/agv-sport-willow-leather-motorcycle-jacket?b=2896338

http://www.bikebandit.com/tour-master-coaster-series-3-motorcycle-jacket?b=3108356

or these boots:

http://www.bikebandit.com/tour-master-solution-air-wp-wide-motorcycle-boots

http://www.bikebandit.com/river-road-side-zip-highway-motorcycle-boots

Any thoughts or critiques?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Has anyone who's done the latest SMH-10 firmware update (the one with universal bluetooth intercom) noticed a dropoff in reliability? Not even talking about intercom mode, but I seem to get a lot more frequent "INTERCOM FAILED" incidents than I used to when I'm listening to music.

I've done the upgrade, but havent noticed any changes across the headsets in the house. Maybe the jog dial is going on yours?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Regarding rain gear: I ride year round in the Seattle area. I've got a "waterproof" textile jacket, Alpinestars Scout WP boots, heated, waterproof gloves and dedicated rain pants & jacket. No matter how waterproof your gear is labelled, the wet will find a way in eventually. I've found Frogg Toggs to be great at keeping the rain out and not making you feel all clammy. When it comes to boots, go big or go home. Keep them waterproof by keeping them clean and give em a good rub down with mink oil. Waterproof sprays may work, but be careful if your boot has rubber in it; some of those sprays eat rubber.
I don't really care about my hands getting wet. As long as they're warm I'm fine.

Haven't had any experience with that gear,but:
-AGV is owned by Dainese and is generally known for good quality stuff.
-Tourmaster makes pretty good gear, and it's often at a good price point when compared to similar brands.
-Hipora is a low-rent Gortex. It'll work for a bit but give in faster than a boot with higher quality waterproof materials.
-I don't think I've ever seen someone with river road boots, but we have some on the shelf and they seem to be pretty sturdy. Not sure how comfortable they are, though.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 21, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Pope Mobile posted:

Regarding rain gear: I ride year round in the Seattle area. I've got a "waterproof" textile jacket, Alpinestars Scout WP boots, heated, waterproof gloves and dedicated rain pants & jacket. No matter how waterproof your gear is labelled, the wet will find a way in eventually. I've found Frogg Toggs to be great at keeping the rain out and not making you feel all clammy. When it comes to boots, go big or go home. Keep them waterproof by keeping them clean and give em a good rub down with mink oil. Waterproof sprays may work, but be careful if your boot has rubber in it; some of those sprays eat rubber.
I don't really care about my hands getting wet. As long as they're warm I'm fine.

Got to talk to the guy that finally got me to make a move on this whole motorcycle business today and he also recommended Frogg Toggs. Having seen my buddy's set I think that's what I'll go for and skip the primary gear waterproofing. That should open the gear search up a lot more.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I just ordered a SMH10. I kind of want a 20S, but honestly.... is 100 bucks worth it for cross-fade? Probably not.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

Got to talk to the guy that finally got me to make a move on this whole motorcycle business today and he also recommended Frogg Toggs. Having seen my buddy's set I think that's what I'll go for and skip the primary gear waterproofing. That should open the gear search up a lot more.

If I was packing something to don in case my otherwise sunny ride gets a surprise downpour, I would get Frogg Toggs. If I was getting something for commuting rain or shine, I would get branded Gore-Tex gear and think hard about getting an Aerostich.

This is repeating myself but I've got a full GoreTex outfit and have ridden for hours on end in near-freezing rain and remained warm and dry, if not particularly happy. If you balk at the prices (this is reasonable) look in the ADVRider flea market for used stuff, it's how I got my $1000+ suit for about $375.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Aerostich did one of these pop up stores in San Diego last year. Regret not going.

NY/NJ goons this is your week. http://www.aerostich.com/popups

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Come on, Aerostich! Do a pop up store in Chicago! Don't make me ride to Duluth I might just make a weekend of it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

I've done the upgrade, but havent noticed any changes across the headsets in the house. Maybe the jog dial is going on yours?

Ugh, is that a thing? Isn't even that old, got it for Christmas, and think I've only ridden in the rain like... once since then.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Contact sena - their customer service is really good from all I've heard. Ours are all fine after plenty of abuse.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Z3n posted:

Contact sena - their customer service is really good from all I've heard. Ours are all fine after plenty of abuse.
If you're on advrider they've got a thread where they help people out in the vendors section if you don't get what you want out of the normal support line.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
I posted a few pages back about killing my SR10 with superglue and Sena replacing it for me. Their support is seriously awesome.

Link for the lazy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393894&userid=125101#post421014974

devians fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
Last night I ordered an SMH-10R and RAM mount for my bike off of Revzilla. I'm looking forward to having wireless audio now and getting rid of the hacked apart pieces from a pair of headphones I duck taped into my helmet behind my liner padding.