Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

Do you still wear the damaged pieces after crashing? I was under the impression that you should replace them. Does it depend?

You replace the helmet if it hits the ground. Leather gear can, and often does, last a few crashes. If it's just scuffed and you haven't worn a hole straight through it, you're good to go. Textiles are a crash once and done type of deal. If you get a forcefield back protector (not one of those bionic things), you can reuse it for aaaages because it doesn't "break" when hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rizuhbull posted:

Do you still wear the damaged pieces after crashing? I was under the impression that you should replace them. Does it depend?

It depends on how bad they were damaged. I lucked out after endo'ing-- my helmet didn't impact the ground and I didn't slide anywhere, I literally just frontflipped and stopped. My backpack took the brunt of all the impact. There are a few small worn patches on my textiles after my run-in with a mailbox but everything is still wearable and none of the armor plates are exposed.

I think in general though, textiles/mesh are done after 1 high speed slide. So that's something to consider if you can only afford to get a textile/mesh jacket or a leather jacket for the forseeable future.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
God dammit. Was having lunch today on the patio at a restaurant. Somewhere in there, my brain realized I wasn't being clumsy enough and my helmet fell ~4 feet off the table and onto the concrete, directly on the top of the dome.

I'm assuming it's time for a new helmet?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Akion posted:

God dammit. Was having lunch today on the patio at a restaurant. Somewhere in there, my brain realized I wasn't being clumsy enough and my helmet fell ~4 feet off the table and onto the concrete, directly on the top of the dome.

I doubt it, you could just check the foam right? Make sure it didn't split/crack. I don't think the top of the head is even a high-impact zone. I dropped mine on its noggin the other day in a costco parking lot and it was fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Akion posted:

Nah, it's fine. Without a headform in the helmet to actually cause the EPS to compress, it's not going to crush internally at all.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Akion posted:

That depends on if there's a helmet with awesome graphics or something which you really want. If so, then this is a good excuse to buy a new one, if not, your current helmet is still good!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

rizuhbull posted:

How much should I expect to pay for enough gear to get started riding?

Main use would be commuting in very hot weather and comfort is important.

Just get a textile jacket, textile overpants, good "street" gloves(aka not full gauntlet, they're heavy and mostly overkill on the street), breathable boots, a good back protector and find a helmet that fits your head perfectly.

Spend what you have to to get stuff you really like, if you can do that on craigslist, that's awesome, if you can do that with sale stuff thats great, if you have to buy new and put in on your credit card that's good. If you half rear end your sizing, or the aesthetics, you're just going to spend even more down the road. That's the path I took, clearance rack and bargain bin poo poo that got me on the road without being a total squid and gave me some protection, or excellent protection but style I hate.

So in my opinion just spend the money and pay it off if you have to, everyone that starts riding keeps riding unless they have a horrible accident (on or off bike) and get shellshocked or simply can't do it.

Also 1 more thing, leather is best yes, but if you're in 80+ weather more than 75% of the time, just get textile. In both cases of leather and textile you want good armor anyways, that's doing the bulk of the work, the exterior is just keeping the armor in the right spot and preventing road rash, and they both do hat job well, it's all about the armor.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

That depends on if there's a helmet with awesome graphics or something which you really want. If so, then this is a good excuse to buy a new one, if not, your current helmet is still good!

Nah. I'm a fan of plain helmets. I am considering switching to an MX helmet since goggles are easier to haul around than a spare visor, but I hear they have worse peripheral vision and I'm guessing aren't as good in the winter as a normal MC helmet.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Akion posted:

Nah. I'm a fan of plain helmets. I am considering switching to an MX helmet since goggles are easier to haul around than a spare visor, but I hear they have worse peripheral vision and I'm guessing aren't as good in the winter as a normal MC helmet.

MX helmets usually have the biggest eyeports (due to the fact of sticking goggles in).

Why not just get an AFX FX-41, moto helmet with internal visor. Best of both worlds!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-41-ds-hi-vis-helmet

It comes in regular colors too, but these two are the best.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

M. Night Skymall posted:

I spent around 700-800 when I first got my bike and then slowly upgraded to more comfortable/better suited/specialized gear as I decided I wasn't going to stop riding. I have way too much poo poo now but at least I use it.
This is the way to go. As I've continued to ride I found out what worked and didn't work for me, and I upgraded or side-graded to things I liked better or that worked better in certain situations. I now have three helmets, a pair of gloves and boots, two jackets, three pairs of pants and plans for more. No regrets.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

SaNChEzZ posted:

MX helmets usually have the biggest eyeports (due to the fact of sticking goggles in).

Why not just get an AFX FX-41, moto helmet with internal visor. Best of both worlds!

I saw one over the weekend; they look pretty sharp.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Will an mx helmet be just as good in a street collision? I like the way they look and kinda want one

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, the ones that aren't offroad-only do get tested for snell/ece.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

M42 posted:

Psht. Got my exo400 for 99 on sale in white, gonna sharpie some :krad: poo poo on it and have graphics for like 12 bux.

Actually, speaking of, anyone ever clearcoated a helmet? I assume you block off all the vents and the face/neck hole to keep anything from getting on the EPS foam inside?

Also, scuff the helmet surface with fine sandpaper or what-not before drawing on your design or the clearcoat will peel.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'd considered one of those. The reason I was looking towards the MX is that I do occasionally go off-road, and I don't think these "Dual Sport" helmets will accept goggles, which are kind of a must in some places here in Colorado.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some do. You can just throw on dinner goggles before closing the visit and you should be fine. Fly racing advertises their dual sport helmet that way.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pope Mobile posted:

Some do. You can just throw on dinner goggles before closing the visit and you should be fine. Fly racing advertises their dual sport helmet that way.

Where can one buy dinner goggles, and how do they work?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Have you ever seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? It's like that only you don't want to put a cork on your fork.

If you haven't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJ0iGZ7Ms8

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 30, 2014

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Akion posted:

Where can one buy dinner goggles, and how do they work?

I'm not sure how my phone came up with that word...

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

This is the way to go. As I've continued to ride I found out what worked and didn't work for me, and I upgraded or side-graded to things I liked better or that worked better in certain situations. I now have three helmets, a pair of gloves and boots, two jackets, three pairs of pants and plans for more. No regrets.

I'll jump on this recommendation as well and I'm also someone who just started riding and just bought their gear. I spent about $700 on a helmet, jacket, boots and gloves. So far I'm happy with everything I bought, though I know I'll want a second pair of gloves for colder weather as I bought a really breathable pair to start with since it's north of 80 degrees about half the year here in FL.

As for hot weather gear, I just bought an Alpinestars white perforated leather jacket and I'm really surprised at how cool it stays.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
For some season, Cycle Gear has decided it is going to start matching internet prices. No word on when it will be official, but it looks like it will be a lot like Fry's. Has to be an actual online retailer. Ebay doesn't count, neither does someone selling through Amazon. Newenough/motorcyclegear, Revzilla, Motorcycle Superstore all look like they'll count. We can't look the prices up for you. You have to bring in proof of the price and item's availability.
Tires are ineligible. I think Shoei and Arai helmets might be too. Not sure. They're pretty tight on their "Arai and Shoei are always 10% off and that's that!" policy. Sometimes Arai will go off for more (probably Black Friday).

Again, I'm not sure when it will be official, but if it's in place before Black Friday, you can probably find some good deals online and get them in store.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Nice, thanks for the heads up. Looks like a leather jacket is in my future!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

For some season, Cycle Gear has decided it is going to start matching internet prices. No word on when it will be official, but it looks like it will be a lot like Fry's. Has to be an actual online retailer. Ebay doesn't count, neither does someone selling through Amazon. Newenough/motorcyclegear, Revzilla, Motorcycle Superstore all look like they'll count. We can't look the prices up for you. You have to bring in proof of the price and item's availability.
Tires are ineligible. I think Shoei and Arai helmets might be too. Not sure. They're pretty tight on their "Arai and Shoei are always 10% off and that's that!" policy. Sometimes Arai will go off for more (probably Black Friday).

Again, I'm not sure when it will be official, but if it's in place before Black Friday, you can probably find some good deals online and get them in store.

This would be fantastic if any of the cycle gears around here stocked anything other than Bilt garbage anymore.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Depends on location. Lynnwood has more alpinestars and Dainese than we do because it's a higher income area. The biggest thing is an easy return policy and 7 day helmet exchange if poo poo don't work for you.
When it all boils down, most people I sell to want the cheapest thing possible. Even when I tell them the Dainese will last longer and is much better, they buy the jacket that will leak in a week.
We do have some regulars that know the store brands are :geno: and are willing to waiting for shipping because we (my store at least) are really laid back about returns and exchanges.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
LOL. Read the communication and Amazon didn't count. We won't match on pretty much any brand we sell. We also add in any shipping that would be charged by the site. It's a pointless policy change.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

We do have some regulars that [...] are willing to waiting[sic] for shipping because we (my store at least) are really laid back about returns and exchanges.

If you're willing to wait for shipping, Revzilla is also really good about returns and exchanges, plus you won't immediately get hounded by a salesman the moment you click on their website.

So it's still kind of pointless if you don't have a cycle gear that stocks the outside brands.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pope Mobile posted:

Uhhh, I just internet price matched tires at CycleGear yesterday

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

iwentdoodie posted:

Uhhh, I just internet price matched tires at CycleGear yesterday

*Technically* they weren't supposed to do that, but things happen all the time that technically aren't supposed to. But poo poo happens and/or people don't read the fine print of their communications on policy changes.

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you're willing to wait for shipping, Revzilla is also really good about returns and exchanges, plus you won't immediately get hounded by a salesman the moment you click on their website.

So it's still kind of pointless if you don't have a cycle gear that stocks the outside brands.

I will not defend CG's website. The design/layout and everything are terrible.
The biggest thing for people exchanging stuff is that they don't have to ship anything and they have us take care of it all.

E: In the end, do what works for you.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So whoever recommended the Buff, it's a great piece of riding wear. The material is thin enough to fit under a helmet (like you said) and yet can be doubled up at the bottom of the helmet to keep wind from coming in. Not terribly expensive either. Rode to the local cycle store and back today (~15 miles round trip, so not really long) in 45 degree weather, in the rain. Face wasn't really cold at all.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Check their videos, there are a few ways you can wear it when riding.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nsaP posted:

Check their videos, there are a few ways you can wear it when riding.

You can also watch survivor for tips. My favorite is the boobtube.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I look to be getting a helmet for free from my mother (no, seriously) because she is crazy. I specifically want a shoei. Does anyone have anything to say about the shoei XR-1100 one way or the other? I'm a little bit put off by it having an old-timey pinlock instead of a fancy dual layer visor like a shark.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Slavvy posted:

I look to be getting a helmet for free from my mother (no, seriously) because she is crazy. I specifically want a shoei. Does anyone have anything to say about the shoei XR-1100 one way or the other? I'm a little bit put off by it having an old-timey pinlock instead of a fancy dual layer visor like a shark.

I have the RF-1100 which is the murrican version, and it's the best helmet I've ever owned by far. Granted my sample size is pretty small with a Bell autosports helmet and a Scorpion EXO-400. But I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

What would be the cheapest thing to do to keep my arms and hands warm in the winter? Last time I rode they were the only things that were cold. I know I probably need to replace my gloves with something that actually has wrist coverage, but what about for my arms?

I'm wearing an armored A* jacket, but it's mesh. So it's not doing a lot for my warmth, but I'd prefer to not have to buy a whole new jacket if I don't have to. Anything I can wear underneath it? Maybe just a heavier sweatshirt or something?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Depends, how cold does your winter get?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Around 20-30 at the coldest for a couple of weeks. So I'm thinking a full new jacket might be overkill for that brief a period. Especially considering I don't commute so I can just crank the heat in the car.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
You can get some pretty thin underlayer things to wear. It'd probably be thin enough that it wouldn't make putting your jacket on impossible. That might be a way to go. You could try arm warmers, too. UnderArmor makes some stuff like that, and there are plenty of motorcycle-specific options, too. I'm considering it for my commutes this winter, as well.

I think MotorcycleGear.com is doing a sale of an underlayer suit that might work for you.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aaron's_fun_stuff/swag/moto_d/cold_weather_baselayer.html

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Lynza posted:

You can get some pretty thin underlayer things to wear. It'd probably be thin enough that it wouldn't make putting your jacket on impossible. That might be a way to go. You could try arm warmers, too. UnderArmor makes some stuff like that, and there are plenty of motorcycle-specific options, too. I'm considering it for my commutes this winter, as well.

I think MotorcycleGear.com is doing a sale of an underlayer suit that might work for you.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aaron's_fun_stuff/swag/moto_d/cold_weather_baselayer.html

That raises a couple of weird questions: Do you wear anything under that under layer? Also how do you go to the bathroom?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

That raises a couple of weird questions: Do you wear anything under that under layer? Also how do you go to the bathroom?

I wear the same baselayers I use Snowboarding. I do wear standard briefs under my lower baselayer just so it doesn't get funky after one day.

It has a pouch for your junk like normal underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Long underwear underneath and a jacket over the mesh that breaks the wind.