Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Any testimonials in here for Forma Adventure boots? There are cheaper waterproofs, but not many that wouldn't look like crap peeking out from under a pair of jeans. I figure anything that potentially doubles up as streetwear is worth a few extra quid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Since it starting to get cold out, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent balaclava or ski mask?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Anything with neoprene is good if you're going to be in really cold temps (or cold for a long time). I use a Buff, which is basically a tube of wool that you can use like a balaclava (or a scarf, or whatever, it's quite flexible).

Be sure to get one that's either intended for motorcycle use (thin enough not to be super uncomfortable under a helmet, basically) or just thin enough to work comfortably.

You may find that full head coverage isn't necessary if your throat/chin/nose are covered. A lot will depend on your helmet, though. You may consider, if you don't have one already, a chin curtain for your helmet. They really keep the wind (and bugs and rocks and stuff) out well.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SquadronROE posted:

What would be the cheapest thing to do to keep my arms and hands warm in the winter? Last time I rode they were the only things that were cold. I know I probably need to replace my gloves with something that actually has wrist coverage, but what about for my arms?

I'm wearing an armored A* jacket, but it's mesh. So it's not doing a lot for my warmth, but I'd prefer to not have to buy a whole new jacket if I don't have to. Anything I can wear underneath it? Maybe just a heavier sweatshirt or something?

You need to get a windproof layer. Keep the cold air as from from your skin as possible. And then warmth layers underneath.

I have a rain jacket big enough to go on the outside of my riding jackets and it's extremely valuable in winter.

But once you buy all this you might have just been better off buying a new jacket...

Debugario posted:

Since it starting to get cold out, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent balaclava or ski mask?

My Cyclone Buff is possibly the best thing I've ever bought for riding.

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
I wear my snowboard gear over my moto gear when it's in the 20's and dry. I also have one of these which is clutch: A* Winter Balaclava

As for gloves... well I just put my hands on the head of the engine when they get cold enough. I have pretty thick leather gloves but that only does so much. I've thought about heated gloves but when it's that cold I just stay in the city and my commute to work is only a few miles.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You need to get a windproof layer. Keep the cold air as from from your skin as possible. And then warmth layers underneath.

I have a rain jacket big enough to go on the outside of my riding jackets and it's extremely valuable in winter.

But once you buy all this you might have just been better off buying a new jacket...

My Cyclone Buff is possibly the best thing I've ever bought for riding.

Well, the rain jacket would serve two purposes. Especially if it packs down enough to fit in my tail bag.

Three purposes if it's hi-viz.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Heated vest makes all the difference in the cold...keep your core warm and everything else will be fine.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I just replaced my old Lazer helmet with the Shark S900-c so i thought i would share my thoughts after a couple of days.

The fit will depend on your head but it fits mine well.

Outside it has standard features like a quick release visor, vents on the chin bar and two at the top, one left and one right. It also has a spoiler that is set up for a more upright riding position so if you are a sports bike rider it might not be as good. You can get it in a number of designs so you should find colours you like.

On the inside it has a breath deflector and a two inch deep curtain on the front to prevent droughts. The lining is plush and feels good on the skin and has inflatable cheek pads to get a perfect fit. I have a round face so that's not needed but if you have a slimmer face it might be worth looking at. The area around the ears are slightly recessed so can fit speakers and it has little removable inserts at the temples so if you wear glasses like i do you can get them on much easier.

It has a prominent padded "skirt" around the bottom of the helmet that makes getting the helmet on and off a bit more difficult but helps keep the noise and droughts down. This also has the air pump for the cheek pads.

It has a flip down inner sun visor that works smoothly and mine came with a pinlock insert for the visor. The pinlock is very good and it was around 5 degrees Celsius this morning and my visor never misted up.

The weight is fine at 1500 grams, vision is good and is reasonable quite. All round a very good helmet if you if it fits.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

Heated vest makes all the difference in the cold...keep your core warm and everything else will be fine.

Depends. Womens hands and feet often get cold regardless of core temperature, because estrogen causes way more vasoconstriction in peripheral blood vessels. My core is pretty warm at 50 but my hands are excruciatingly cold. Science!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh, I've had my Icon Airmada for about a week now. It's breaking in nicely, although you have to get used to getting your head through the tight opening of the helmet. Feels sort of like being born.

Anwyays, recommended thus far. We'll see how it holds up.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M42 posted:

Depends. Womens hands and feet often get cold regardless of core temperature, because estrogen causes way more vasoconstriction in peripheral blood vessels. My core is pretty warm at 50 but my hands are excruciatingly cold. Science!

Does this mean I'm inadvertently in the middle of a mtf transition? THANKS OBAMA t:mad:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I haven't had my feet get cold yet on the bike, but before I got my heated grips (and basically after it had warmed up to mostly above-freezing temps) sweet christ my hands got cold. Thick gloves? Didn't matter. My commute is between 30-50 minutes, depending on traffic, and my pinkies especially were frozen by the time I got to work.

Heated grips have made a big difference there. I'm excited to try them out once it starts getting really cold.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Renaissance Robot posted:

Any testimonials in here for Forma Adventure boots? There are cheaper waterproofs, but not many that wouldn't look like crap peeking out from under a pair of jeans. I figure anything that potentially doubles up as streetwear is worth a few extra quid.

I have them and really like them. I've ridden in the rain, for a good while, but not all day (if I remember correctly) and no issues with losing waterproofness. They're stiffer than a hiking boot walking around, but not so stiff that you couldn't walk a couple of miles in them. They're tall, about 15 inches, and regular cut jeans will go over them just fine. One other thing is they have a bit of a taller toe box, which for me is more comfortable, but I have to position my foot differently to shift. It's not a huge deal, but depending on what bike you ride, it may take some adjustment.

My only complaint is that for a $300 boot, make it a replaceable sole for fucks sake.

Lynza posted:

I haven't had my feet get cold yet on the bike, but before I got my heated grips (and basically after it had warmed up to mostly above-freezing temps) sweet christ my hands got cold. Thick gloves? Didn't matter. My commute is between 30-50 minutes, depending on traffic, and my pinkies especially were frozen by the time I got to work.

Heated grips have made a big difference there. I'm excited to try them out once it starts getting really cold.

I have cold hands, like I wear gloves when it's in the 50s and I'm just walking around cold hands. The best thing for me on the motorcycle was installing handg guards to block the wind. They really help the heated grips, so much so that I often just turn them on for a few minutes and then turn them back off again.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 6, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Oh, I've had my Icon Airmada for about a week now. It's breaking in nicely, although you have to get used to getting your head through the tight opening of the helmet. Feels sort of like being born.

Good to hear, I'm looking at one in a month or two. Does yours have a cool graphic?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MoraleHazard posted:

I have them and really like them. I've ridden in the rain, for a good while, but not all day (if I remember correctly) and no issues with losing waterproofness. They're stiffer than a hiking boot walking around, but not so stiff that you couldn't walk a couple of miles in them. They're tall, about 15 inches, and regular cut jeans will go over them just fine.

Sounds good, being in the UK it's the rain I'm most concerned about.

For some reason the euro list price on Motorama is about £12 cheaper than when it shows sterling (€187 vs £157) :iiam:. Have to shop around some more, see if I can't find a stockist closer to home.

MoraleHazard posted:

My only complaint is that for a $300 boot, make it a replaceable sole for fucks sake.

Looks like the little brother model Terra (even more space cowboy than Adventure :swoon:) is supposed to fix that, though there's not even a description or specs or anything on the manufacturer's own site, let alone any reviews, so yeah, not about to spring that much for a mystery box

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

KARMA! posted:

Does this mean I'm inadvertently in the middle of a mtf transition? THANKS OBAMA t:mad:

You're not the only one. If it drops below 45 my heated gloves are a necessity.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sounds good, being in the UK it's the rain I'm most concerned about.

For some reason the euro list price on Motorama is about £12 cheaper than when it shows sterling (€187 vs £157) :iiam:. Have to shop around some more, see if I can't find a stockist closer to home.

Looks like the little brother model Terra (even more space cowboy than Adventure :swoon:) is supposed to fix that, though there's not even a description or specs or anything on the manufacturer's own site, let alone any reviews, so yeah, not about to spring that much for a mystery box

What do you guys think of a boot like this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-mohawk-boots vs that one?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

I've had mine over a year of commuting + fun rides and it's holding up just fine. Padding is in good shape and all the vents and visor mechanisms still work fine. The visor seems to have taken scratches easily but I'm rough with my helmets. I am happy with it.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Ended up getting some Fieldsheer stuff and TCX boots, I know TCX is a well respected brand bout how about fieldsheer?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My race suite is a fieldsheer and I like it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Last year I picked up a couple of electrically heated glove liners at Aldi for £10. I only used them the once as I have more sense than to go out for long rides in the freezing cold but they seemed to work really well - obviously being inside the glove rather than outside like heated grips means they draw a lot less power than heated grips, although I still rigged up a thing to run them off my USB charger already on the bike in case I ever do need to use them for a long time).

Might be worth looking around for them in outdoor type shops rather than bike shops.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 7, 2014

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I do miss my heated grips for cold days like today, but I imagine glove liners would do more good. I'll have to a) replace my grips next year anyway and b) check out heated gloves/liners over the winter.

Pretty much ended my season today, last ride into work, and now it's time to get the Honda back together and put 'em both away for the winter.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
http://rideapart.com/articles/alpinestars-new-tech-air-street-airbag-system

AlpineStars Tech-Air Street Airbag is being released after being used in racing for the last year. Its a pretty big safety advantage as long as you remember to charge the battery. I imagine these are only going to get better over time and hopefully even have options such as a small solar panel for charging or fast charge in the future.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, it's an awesome idea, but the battery life makes it not really an option for me. What if you forget to plug it in? But the overall idea is rad, so I'm hoping in a year or so there'll be some better options.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Alright, after the second consecutive day of <40 weather my vagina is thoroughly frozen.

I need heated gloves. I bought some cyclegear "Freeze-out" undergloves hoping that would solve it, but they are insufficient for the task. I tried both my summer gloves (dainese 4-stroke evo) and my gauntlets (knox handroids) with them and after about 15 miles of 70+ I started losing feeling in my fingers.

Anyone have ~$200 suggestions? Preferably something I don't have to wire my bike for. And no, I'm not getting heated grips. Ideally they'd be rechargeable battery powered.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
All the rechargeable gloves I've seen run around $250+. If you have a coax for a battery tender there are adapters that allow you to just plug into that for wired gloves.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

my vagina is thoroughly frozen.

I need heated gloves.

That'll be an interesting crash report to fill out at least.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

This is what I use and they do a pretty good job in combination with handguards:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-3-finger-gore-tex-gloves

They're not heated but they're also pretty cheap in comparison. And you can also wear liners or put heat packs in them too.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, the little disposable hand warmers might be great if you're not going to be riding in cold temps a lot. At the very least, they're a cheap option until you can find something better.

It seems like <40 is where the cold really affects people the most. I got some cheap heated grips for $60, and heated glove liners might work for you as well, but I don't know much about the pricing for those.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

Yeah, the little disposable hand warmers might be great if you're not going to be riding in cold temps a lot. At the very least, they're a cheap option until you can find something better.

It seems like <40 is where the cold really affects people the most. I got some cheap heated grips for $60, and heated glove liners might work for you as well, but I don't know much about the pricing for those.

It depends a lot on where you're riding as much as temperature. Like I'm okay down to freezing on motorways but riding through town in that weather murders my fingers because they keep touching the ice-cold levers.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I was just wondering this - are there any non-heated gloves that can really keep your hands warm below about 45?

I just bought a pair of Rev'it Kelvin H2O gloves, and they arrived today. I rode home with a Revit on my right hand and my old cheap-ish Arctiva (a Parts Unlimited brand) glove on my left hand. About 40F - iPhone weather app said 37F when I got home - over 4.5 miles, city riding ~30 mph, with one longer stop for a drawbridge, on the scooter in my avatar.

Both hands were about equally cold. Tolerable, certainly could've ridden a good deal longer if I had to, but definitely cold. So the $35 Tour Masters I had years ago. the $50ish Arctivas I'm replacing, and the new $90 (orig. $160) Rev'its all seem to perform the same or just barely better than the former. Now I don't know if I should keep the Rev'its or find another pair of <$50 gloves - spend half and be just as cold - though the much-improved protection and comfort of the Rev'its might warrant the premium even if they aren't warmer.

Is there just a limit on how warm gloves can stay on a bike without external heat?

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2014

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm pretty sure that the real secret is handguards to protect your fingers from the wind, but vanity is keeping me from that sensible decision.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

kuffs posted:

I'm pretty sure that the real secret is handguards to protect your fingers from the wind, but vanity is keeping me from that sensible decision.

My other scooter, a Zuma 125, does have handguards. Cosmetic BarkBuster-types. And they do help quite a bit, though they aren't very big. I'd suck it up and go with something like Hippo Hands, those big nylon insulated muffs that cover your whole hand, but I'd have to relocate my turnsignals and I don't want with that.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Looking at getting some waterproof boots, what do people think of the Dianese TRQ Tour?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pred1ct posted:

Looking at getting some waterproof boots, what do people think of the Dianese TRQ Tour?

I can't comment on those specific ones, but I do have something that's almost identical. Surprisingly comfortable/easy to walk in, light, easy to put on, and despite riding in rainstorms my feet have always stayed dry in them.
My only beef with them is that the plastic parts around the ankle squeak a bit when walking. It's probably nothing a little bit of waterproof plastic safe lube couldn't fix.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 15, 2014

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Can anyone recommend riding pants that play nice with enduro boots? I got a pair of used Alpinestars A10's but they're a little to long (wrong size probably) and the shin guards don't play nice with my Tech 7's at all.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Pred1ct posted:

I've had a pair for a bit over a year / 25,000km. They're pretty comfortable for boots with decent ankle protection and they keep water out well. The downsides are that the ankle pivot squeaks - a lot - which you can alleviate by sticking your choice of gunk between the two bits of plastic that rub on each other, but it never completely went away for me. The zip at the rear has started to get a little loose on my pair lately, too. If I'm walking around, the zip slowly comes undone. Stays in place alright when I'm actually on the bike, but it's a bit annoying if I'm walking around.

I recommend them / would buy again, just be aware of those relatively small annoyances.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The Dainese TRQ line of boots has the best ankle protection of any touring boot. Highly recommended. Own a pair of TRQ out, so do two of my friends. No problems except usual wear and tear.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

My other scooter, a Zuma 125, does have handguards. Cosmetic BarkBuster-types. And they do help quite a bit, though they aren't very big. I'd suck it up and go with something like Hippo Hands, those big nylon insulated muffs that cover your whole hand, but I'd have to relocate my turnsignals and I don't want with that.

Handguards don't help much at city speeds IMO - wind chill at 20-30 mph is a factor, sure, but not a big one with any decent gloves. To answer your original question - fundamentally there's a limit to how much gloves can do and still leave your hands usable because hands are really hard to keep warm, and you need a lot of bulky insulation to do that. That's why bar muffs and the like keep your hands quite so warm - they can be really bulky plus they vastly reduce the surface area being cooled.

Once you've got a decent pair of gloves your next step should be adding layers to your core - keeping your core temperature up will keep up blood flow to your hands and keep them feeling warmer. (Oh and wearing less insulation on one hand will tend to leave both hands feeling cold for the same reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have an Alpinestars hookup? I've now had two >60mph track crashes in my Alpinestars GPX gloves and I'd like to move to GP Pros... the red/black ones if the price is right.