Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I've tried a Cooldana and my little jogging head cover, but I just can't wear anything between my head & helmet, it's just too drat tight & uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I'm curious - how much hair do you have? Is it long or curly? And your helmet feels fine with no additional layer?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Klim's line of snowmobile balaclavas works nice, though they are pretty overkill for anything above 45f.

You look like some kinda snow raider though:

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
So my 2x REV'it! Airwave pants came in and they were hilariously undersized. Like I got them to mid thigh before not being able to pull them up. I followed the size list. I am returning them today and ordering the 4x when I get the money refunded.

Being a fatty sucks, ya'll.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, I feel you man. For whatever reason, the Airwaves seem smaller than other Rev'It stuff. You might try Columbia if you're looking for mesh pants.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
Is Columbia a brand or the name of a line?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Brand, but I can't remember what the pants were called, sorry! Tourmaster may also work for you.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I have to wait for my refund before I can order anything else. I'll probably give the 4x a shot because I was really impressed with the quality of the Airwave pants.

I measured my waist where my pants sit and over pants and belt it is 49 inches. I'm afraid I won't be able to find anything close to my size to wear as over pants.

Diggie fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 28, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I found that the Airwaves fit really well once you get the size right. They don't tend to be baggy or have a lot of excess fabric on the legs like my other overpants. They don't give you White Guy rear end, either, which is surprising. A lot of the overpants/pants are like, "Welp, saggy rear end seems like a good plan, so let's do that."

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I figure if I order the 4x airwaves and they don't fit, then I'll try another manufacturer. Each time you return with Revzilla, you're only out 8 bucks. Not ideal, but no where around me has overpants in stock, so it's my only option. Stupid squids and Harley guys not buying gear makes the gear market suck around Dothan, Alabama.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I accidentally had to size up on my airwaves but it worked out for the best 'cause they're overpants. You should be fine.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

I'm curious - how much hair do you have? Is it long or curly? And your helmet feels fine with no additional layer?

Hair is generally pretty darn short. With nothing between helmet and head it's a perfect fit. Maybe slightly too close in the front though: I took out the breath deflector because it didn't seem to do much on cold mornings. And was getting too close to my nose going over 100km/h or so :v:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Got my Roadcrafter today. Zipped up, it was snug but I knew it would break in.

Installed the hip/back armor, now I'm too fat for the suit. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Got my Roadcrafter today. Zipped up, it was snug but I knew it would break in.

Installed the hip/back armor, now I'm too fat for the suit. :(

I run mine without the hip armor because it's loving awkward. Ran without a back protector for quite awhile because I didn't like the hunchback look but eventually got over my vanity.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm wondering if the R5 would be worth it since its slimmer, and I wouldn't mind the armor normally but it's seriously a case of not being honest with myself when sizing. Do you also get a slight windsail effect below the shoulder plates? It feels a little big there but the rest of the arm length is perfect for me so I doubt there's anything that could be done.

Sunter
Jul 10, 2005
lurker
I've been commuting on a dual sport and want to finally hit some dirt. I only have leathers right now, what gear should I buy to get started on OHV park / trails? I've been thinking about getting a roadcrafter for my commute, do any of their models hold up off road as well?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You want impact and impalement protection for ORV trails (at least the ones I am accustomed to) more than you want abrasion protection. Knee, elbow, and torso protection should go to the top of the list; those are the ones I actually use (by use I mean protect me from injuries when I eat poo poo). You might want to look at getting a off-road oriented helmet, a street helmet will fog up and suffocate you once you start breathing.

Gear that really breathes well is good because even if it's rainy and lovely out, you sweat; I wear jeans and a sweat shirt [I ride in winter] over the pads.

Think about boots. Think about getting your boots super muddy and beat up. Think about getting some off road boots.

I've seen some people use neck protection on the trails but it seems overkill for me if I'm not getting a bunch of hang time. Watch, next month I'll break my neck and die falling while kicking it over.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 2, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dirt helmet/goggles, dirt gloves (shorties are fine) boots, knee, elbow, upper body compression armor, hip impact armor. Cover it with a close out dirt bike jersey and pants because they breathe nicely but also don't rip.

Things listed in order of importance.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Sunter posted:

I've been commuting on a dual sport and want to finally hit some dirt. I only have leathers right now, what gear should I buy to get started on OHV park / trails? I've been thinking about getting a roadcrafter for my commute, do any of their models hold up off road as well?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Am I the only one here who likes to pretend they're a knight when they ride?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I do when snowmobiling, but only because you use hand and arm signals on the trail when you meet other riders and it is a lot like the historical origin of the military salute but with the left arm.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I spur my steed into second gear as we charge through the breaking line of cars...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Dirt helmet/goggles, dirt gloves (shorties are fine) boots, knee, elbow, upper body compression armor, hip impact armor. Cover it with a close out dirt bike jersey and pants because they breathe nicely but also don't rip.

Things listed in order of importance.

You can ride in whatever you're wearing for on road though, particularly if you're just learning and riding mostly fire roads. I've ridden on trails in an aerostich and while it was hot as gently caress it also felt pretty safe.

Aerostich, the early years.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Crafted by an......Aerosmith??

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

Nah, a cowboy. Traffic is my herd. Interstate is my range. Comma ti yippy yi yay

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

You can ride in whatever you're wearing for on road though, particularly if you're just learning and riding mostly fire roads. I've ridden on trails in an aerostich and while it was hot as gently caress it also felt pretty safe.

Yeah I rode offroad doing sumo stuff in leathers and you're well protected but it's also stupid hot.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Chichevache posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082622/

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chichevache posted:

My niece pretends I am a power ranger.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

rockcity posted:

My niece pretends I am a power ranger.

Please tell me you do a sentai pose every time before getting in the bike

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Please tell me you do a sentai pose every time before getting in the bike

Well now I'm going to have to.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3q0iHYVjBA

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Society for Creative Anachronism 2: Anachronism Harder

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Looking at Icon and Scorpion helmets. Anybody have sufficient experience with those two brands to know if there's, generally speaking, a big gap in quality between the two, or if it just varies by individual model?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Scorpions are awesome. I think most of the new models have airfit cheekpads. Unfortunately they changed the inner shape so now I can't use them :( but for the price point, A+++

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

M42 posted:

Scorpions are awesome. I think most of the new models have airfit cheekpads. Unfortunately they changed the inner shape so now I can't use them :( but for the price point, A+++

Nice. The one thing about Scorpions I've noticed with online reviews is that about half the people reviewing them say they run small and that you should order a size up, and the other half say they fit true to size. This confuses me. According to their size chart I'd fall right between an L and an XL, so I would think I'd be fine with an XL, but the multitude of reviews shouting "BUY A SIZE BIGGER" give me pause. I tried to go into a shop to try one on, but thus far the shops I've gone into haven't had one.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'd err on the side of the measurements being correct and the majority of buyers thinking a helmet should be loose.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Scorpion doesn't have any particular sizing discrepancies that I'm aware of. In my experience they fit true-to-size (i.e. if you normally wear a medium then you will wear a medium in Scorpion).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Most helmets fit true. It just depends on the helmet shape in relation to your head shape.
Scorpions are nice. The antifog on their visors is pretty good.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
People thinking helmets run small are almost always people who don't know what a proper helmet fit is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fhate posted:

Looking at Icon and Scorpion helmets. Anybody have sufficient experience with those two brands to know if there's, generally speaking, a big gap in quality between the two, or if it just varies by individual model?

I have an Icon Airmada and I absolutely love it. Feels great and I really love the quality compared to my old helmet. I've never worn a Scorpion though.