Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
After 2 years of riding in the rain and having my jacket or pants leak after only a half hour or so in the rain, yeah. I don't care if I look like a dad. I just want to get to work and not have to explain why the lower half of my body is wet.

Also, wet pants for 4 hours until they dry is double-plus ungood.

I plan to get some Badlands pants this fall. The jacket I have now, while apparently stitched with some sort of delicate gossamer that can't handle being zipped up and down more than twice every moon cycle, is at least keeping the water out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
One of the positives I had while working in a cube was that I had room to hang my gear and an extra set of clothes for wet days.

Also look into the Motorex Protex spray. poo poo's amazing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I used to have a cube where I could've stored a helmet and gear during the day. Then my company shrunk it by 33% so that they could fit an extra cube or two per row. Now I can't back my chair away from my desk without hitting a wall.

Cube life sucks.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We had something like that at my job, too. I used to have a GIANT space. Huge. Had furniture and stuff. Then we moved and they adopted an open office.

Kids, the words "open office" should be a giant red flag for you when you're looking for work. Unless, as in my case, you're working with awesome people and have an awesome boss and otherwise everything is amazing, open offices are the devil and should be avoided.

I use the cube between me and the next person to store my crap. She's a motorcycle chick too, so she isn't offended by wet gear. I'm looking forward to better, really waterproof gear for the fall, though. Having a rain liner is some bullshit in the NW. It just rains too much and too long to mess with all that hoopajoo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lynza posted:

Kids, the words "open office" should be a giant red flag for you when you're looking for work. Unless, as in my case, you're working with awesome people and have an awesome boss and otherwise everything is amazing, open offices are the devil and should be avoided.

I've come to the same conclusion. My last two jobs were in different bits of the same open plan office, and the best nod they had to people's need to put extraneous junk somewhere was a row of lockers in the canteen; 10" cubes, naturally, not big enough to hang anything up in.

No private changing space either, for all that they had a cycle shed out back the response was always "oh, just use the disabled toilet" :wtc:

Now I'm in an actual office (shared between 2-5 people, but it's not that bad) I'm realising this is the first job I've actually really enjoyed since I started riding. Being able to leave a change of shoes at work in a locked closet (not even in the office, in the corridor outside, but that's the kind of thing that bizarrely gets omitted from open plan designs) is a tiny thing, but really makes a huge difference to how calm I feel in the mornings, since I no longer have to juggle a ton of poo poo on the way to my desk.

Pushes for workplace efficiency are the worst because things like that "empty, unused" closet in the hallway are the first things to go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lynza posted:

I guess my place is also the exception to the rule. I stuck a 6ft inflatible palm tree thing that holds beer under it next to my desk, which is next to the downstairs keg. Everyone is cool as poo poo and I fear leaving when the time comes. Only four (five?) of us ride but the CEO painted two covered spots next to the door just for us.

Meh.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 29, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I few weeks ago I helped load my boss's new motorcycle lift (in a crate), that he'd had delivered to our work address, into the bed of his truck.

My job also has bike parking that's closer to the building I work in than the regular car parking.

We also have a dedicated locker room with benches and showers and full size lockers for everyone in my dept.

My job owns for bikers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lynza posted:

We had something like that at my job, too. I used to have a GIANT space. Huge. Had furniture and stuff. Then we moved and they adopted an open office.

I use the cube between me and the next person to store my crap. She's a motorcycle chick too, so she isn't offended by wet gear. I'm looking forward to better, really waterproof gear for the fall, though. Having a rain liner is some bullshit in the NW. It just rains too much and too long to mess with all that hoopajoo.

Agreed - open floor plans are the devil and only exist for cost cutting. They probably end up costing companies more in lost wages due to distraction though. I really like all of my coworkers and my boss and an open floor plan is still garbage to work in.

I just leave a pair of shoes under my desk though, and my boss suggested I get a manikin to hang my Aerostitch from, which would be sort of hilarious.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Woo, got some new a*stars low boots for summer and new cheek pads for the helmet, the old ones were looking a bit worn. And just in time for a possible postal strike :/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chris Knight posted:

And just in time for a possible postal strike :/

Does anyone have Razzled's contact info? We need to warn him.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can anyone tell me some things about budget dirt/adv helmets? My budget is really low ($250 including goggles). I don't know enough about my head shape to order online but I want to know a few things when I go to the store. I'll probably end up going to Performance Cycle in Denver. Their lower-shelf brands are Fly, HJC, and Fox.

Also, given that I'll mostly be farting around on forest roads and the like, not full-on dirt riding, what is the better choice between dirt and adv helmets?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It'll probably be plastic, but you can get fiberglass for that budget.
I like the O'Neal 3 series for something entry level, but it fits my head very well.
I also like 100% goggles.

Adventure helmets are okay I guess. I just don't like them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can anyone tell me some things about budget dirt/adv helmets? My budget is really low ($250 including goggles). I don't know enough about my head shape to order online but I want to know a few things when I go to the store. I'll probably end up going to Performance Cycle in Denver. Their lower-shelf brands are Fly, HJC, and Fox.

Also, given that I'll mostly be farting around on forest roads and the like, not full-on dirt riding, what is the better choice between dirt and adv helmets?

AFX FX-41 is pretty good. Seconding 100% goggles. The FX-41 you can use with either goggles or just a face shield.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I have the oneal rebrand of the fx-41. Noisy as hell, but soo much air.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Getting really tired of my TW200 being of limited use for errands, going to break down and get a CycleRacks.com rear rack for $199 since those seem to be the crowd favorite. Remind me again, what's the standard goon recommendation for good tie-down straps? I don't need crazy cross-country stuff, just for running errands in town and maybe quiet highway trips to nearby towns.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

ROK straps own bones. I have a set of the small and big and I think I'm going to buy another big set. I carry so much poo poo with those. I recently moved and loaded up my vstrom with 4 luggage bags packed with poo poo and tied it all down with the ROK straps. Also a little net with a set of hooks is handy.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Just make sure you tie them down and keep the straps the gently caress away from your exhaust cause they melt pretty much instantly. I've had to replace my exhaust side ones a couple time due to carelessness. The Cruiser rok straps are double wide though and pretty drat useful.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Having gone down adv helmet road, If I'm getting anywhere near the idea of dirt, its dirt helmets.
Just wear earplugs on the street, and a balaclava if its chilly. Raindrops suck, tia.
(I own a icon variant (sucks for DS use) and a fox v3 carbon)

builds character posted:

AFX FX-41 is pretty good. Seconding 100% goggles. The FX-41 you can use with either goggles or just a face shield.

owned one, crashed the living gently caress out of it slicing my mouth open, No concussion however! Thirding 100% goggles.

This isnt to scare anyone owning one, my mishap had me flying and landing face first. I'm a pretty solid meatbag.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Getting really tired of my TW200 being of limited use for errands, going to break down and get a CycleRacks.com rear rack for $199 since those seem to be the crowd favorite. Remind me again, what's the standard goon recommendation for good tie-down straps? I don't need crazy cross-country stuff, just for running errands in town and maybe quiet highway trips to nearby towns.

Thirding Rok straps. I keep two sets under my seat. I've fit pastry boxes under them without trouble. They're awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pfff. Tie-down straps. :rolleyes:

Any Boy Scout can tie one of those. Get fifty feet of parachute cord for like 8 bucks and learn some knots! You'll be amazed at what you can pull off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I tried to go for a long ride this past weekend with my Bell RS1 for the first time, about an hour in the hot spots were completely uncomfortable to the point that I had to stop riding, take a break, and head home. I like the helmet but it's way too much of a long oval for my head - I bought sight-unseen having liked the Bell Star and thinking it would fit the same.

I picked up another Arai Vertex 2 on closeout for $375 and it finally came in today. HOLY gently caress I FORGOT HOW COMFORTABLE THIS THING IS ON ME.
The one I crashed a couple of years ago has a SNELL 2010 cert, this one has a SNELL 2015 cert and there are very minor differences between the two.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 8, 2016

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Is this jacket too short/too tight? The bottom of the jacket sits at the top of my belt.

https://imgur.com/a/w49Cv

Just wanted a second opinion that it was long enough that the matching pants would zip into it.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 9, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looks good, most of the race jackets are cut short like that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hollis Brown posted:

Is this jacket too short/too tight? The bottom of the jacket sits at the top of my belt.

Just wanted a second opinion that it was long enough that the matching pants would zip into it.

Looks good from here. How does it feel when you're in a riding position?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Hollis Brown posted:

GP Plus R? I have the same one in black, really like it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That's how mine fit. Should be fine, especially if you have a way to secure them to your pants.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Hollis Brown posted:

That's how short it should be. However, it looks like it's bunching in the chest area, and that's with (what looks like) your shoulders pulled back. Is it bunching when you're on a bike? Should be good if you're using it as a 2pc and wear a back+chest protector, though.

For reference, this is how short my jacket was when I wore a 2pc:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm looking for some pants (probably boots too), and have no idea where to start.

I live in Michigan, and want to ride pretty much whenever there isn't snow on the ground - so March to November realistically. I get warm very, very easily though, so the lighter-weight the pants are the better; I can deal with 40 degree temps much better than 90+. I'd like them to fit over my work clothes, which are a pair of shorts typically, sometimes pants. Finally, I'd prefer to keep the cost down, but not at the expense of safety/comfort. I have a pretty broad build.

Any suggestions for places to start looking?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'm looking for some pants (probably boots too), and have no idea where to start.

I live in Michigan, and want to ride pretty much whenever there isn't snow on the ground - so March to November realistically. I get warm very, very easily though, so the lighter-weight the pants are the better; I can deal with 40 degree temps much better than 90+. I'd like them to fit over my work clothes, which are a pair of shorts typically, sometimes pants. Finally, I'd prefer to keep the cost down, but not at the expense of safety/comfort. I have a pretty broad build.

Where in MI? Sportbiketrackgear.com has a storefront at mound and 26 mile. It rules.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Alpinestars Andes are excellent winter-ish pants. I bought mine one size larger and it works great. Pull out the lining and you can fit them over slimmer jeans and khakis. The airflow is decent and you should be comfortable in them up to the mid 80s. They're also waterproof (not Goretex, which is the best waterproofing on the market). Bonus points for having knee AND hip armor pockets. The hip armor that comes with it is useless, so you'll need to buy your own, but at least it has pockets for hip armor, which is way too rare in low price point pants. The knee armor is fine.

The only real downside is that the knee armor isn't adjustable, so if you're very short or not proportioned for Euro-poo poo then these probably aren't the pants for you.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-andes-drystar-pants

Price is $230.

Boots?
Get the Alpinestars SMX Plus if you want to just skip all the lovely boots you're going to buy before realizing the SMX Plus was the one true boot all along.

On closeout for 300, or 350 if you want Gore-Tex.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-plus-black-shadow-boots

Or the SMX 5 if you aren't comfortable paying 300. They're at 200 on closeout.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-s-mx-5-boot

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 10, 2016

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Speaking of boots, I guess it's been a while since we talked about options for someone with wide feet. Worst case scenario is go up a size or half size in the SMX-plusses, but I'd rather get something that actually fits my elephant feet. Tourmaster makes a pair for around 130 which are better than nothing and Sidi makes a wide version of their Vertigo boots for 350, but what else would be a good option? TCX S-speeds are kind of in the goldilocks zone in terms of pricing (260-280), have a torsion control system, and apparently run wide. Has anyone ever tried these on, or can recommend a different pair?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

-Inu- posted:

That's how short it should be. However, it looks like it's bunching in the chest area, and that's with (what looks like) your shoulders pulled back. Is it bunching when you're on a bike? Should be good if you're using it as a 2pc and wear a back+chest protector, though.

For reference, this is how short my jacket was when I wore a 2pc:

I've determined most of my discomfort is the shoulder armor. Would D3O shoulder inserts be a good idea? People seem to report they are more comfortable.
I do also need a chest/back protector. I see forcefield back protectors are on closeout on Revzilla. D3O is approximately the same price. People seem similarly satisfied between the brands, does it come down to personal choice?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Has anyone got any thoughts on the Nolan N86 helmet, or Nolan helmets in general? The N86 is on closeout now, gets great reviews and has a lot of nice features I'd like to have.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

$15 orange Home Depot ratchet straps? Or camo if you're feeling $2 spendier.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Hollis Brown posted:

I've determined most of my discomfort is the shoulder armor. Would D3O shoulder inserts be a good idea? People seem to report they are more comfortable.
I do also need a chest/back protector. I see forcefield back protectors are on closeout on Revzilla. D3O is approximately the same price. People seem similarly satisfied between the brands, does it come down to personal choice?
It's not a guaranteed fix, but the D3O will be softer than the stock A/S armor. A/S has some nice stuff that just recently came out as well, but it's only in some jackets and isn't sold separately AFAIK. For back protector inserts, the Klim D3O insert is my favorite. For external/wearable back protectors, it's completely personal preference as far as I'm concerned.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm in the market for a new jacket and have been rocking a Dainese Shotgun for like four years now. It's getting nasty and totally unsuitable for anything below like 85 degrees. Way too light. I want something a bit heftier. I like the look of the Dainese Laguna Seca but the venting looks fairly weak with just arm vents. What else should I be looking at from Dainese? I find their fit to be perfect for me. I am not interested in a mesh number like the Airframe. I'll keep the Shotgun for hotter days.

My gauntlets are also showing their age. At the ~$100 range, are all the gauntlets from reputable brands pretty much the same or is there some standout I am overlooking? Don't care at all about venting or whatever. Just something with some decent protection.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Can get Laguna Seca perforated.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I recently got these jeans from Revzilla:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bull-it-sr4-flex-jeans

They're made in the UK and I like them a lot. Not super hot, not super heavy, not scratchy like kevlar. No crazy styling.

Also, office chat, I'm really spoiled. I have my own office, with a door. :smugdog:

Though probably not for too much longer. The open office rumors are circulating.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

MoraleHazard posted:

I recently got these jeans from Revzilla:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bull-it-sr4-flex-jeans

They're made in the UK and I like them a lot. Not super hot, not super heavy, not scratchy like kevlar. No crazy styling.

Also, office chat, I'm really spoiled. I have my own office, with a door. :smugdog:

Though probably not for too much longer. The open office rumors are circulating.

I've been looking at those and the SR6's as well, they're looking really tempting. Did you get the armor for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

-Inu- posted:

It's not a guaranteed fix, but the D3O will be softer than the stock A/S armor. A/S has some nice stuff that just recently came out as well, but it's only in some jackets and isn't sold separately AFAIK. For back protector inserts, the Klim D3O insert is my favorite. For external/wearable back protectors, it's completely personal preference as far as I'm concerned.

The D3O shoulder pads ended up being great. Highly recommended to anyone that doesn't like theirs.