Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

As Nero Danced posted:

I've been looking at those and the SR6's as well, they're looking really tempting. Did you get the armor for them?

I did get the armor and it fits great and is barely noticeable so long as you put your pants over the boots. The best thing about the armor, for me, is how it is at my knee no matter whether I'm standing or on the bike and how it's so unnoticeable.

I actually ordered a bunch of the Bull-it jeans including the SR6. The SR6 ones felt really heavy though. The fit is also different depending on the model, so I recommend checking on Bull-it's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I saw what you mean about the fit, each pair seems kinda different in regards to fit.

About the weight on the SR6s, is it evenly distributed or does it hang in certain places? I imagine the knee armor would be the biggest culprit here.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Can I just say that I wish manufacturers would actually crash test their gear in common crash scenarios and publish the results? I don't give two fifths of a gently caress if they say jacket can do this or that, I'm interested in how it really holds up in the situation it is designed for.

Unless a manufacturer can claim certain numbers like length of a slide on pavement at x speed without wearing through or other similar things, who gives a poo poo and who should care? 99% of gear reviews are absolutely loving worthless and are just "oh this jacket fits my enormous fat torso great" and have nothing about how they hold up under the conditions they're designed for.

Am I being unreasonable? I don't feel like this is a dumb thing since there are stats on the most common crash types and impact scenarios. I believe there was an Australian moto-jeans company whose CEO wrecked a few bikes on video to show how well his company's jeans held up in a real-world crash.

Why isn't this more common?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:capitalism:

Testing is expensive enough for just the component materials, building entire units and destructively crash testing them isn't something anybody is ever going to do unless it's legally required, especially given the niche nature of motorcycles and the double niche that is people who actually buy and wear armour.

Personally my feelings go like this:
- gear is expensive enough as it is
- even with unlimited funds there'd be no way to test for every possible crash scenario
- gear is at best an insurance policy (there's always a way to kill yourself even just falling over at a stop)
- I'm happy not having a definite point of failure listed on a potential new jacket (eg "if you crash, try not to land on anything sharp")

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Besides the reasons Renaissance Robot mentioned, companies would also be opening themselves up to liability. Once you start making specific claims, you're essentially giving customers a false sense of security (because every crash can be so different), and making it really easy for someone to use those claims as evidence for a lawsuit.

I know it sounds kind of silly, but the majority of these companies are foreign and they don't like to gently caress around with the American legal system. Dainese and Alpinestars have been trying to get airbag-equipped garments into the states for nearly a decade (seriously - these products have been available overseas for years). We've only just now seen the D-Air suit because Dainese finally felt comfortable enough to start importing it legally. The instruction manual for that thing is something like 80 pages.

I do think more education would be good though. Aside from the material used: placement of seams, number of panels used, where perforation is located, and many other things all factor into how a garment will perform. Unfortunately, there's just so much gear that it's hard to make a judgement call unless you know exactly what you're looking for. A lot of features get covered up behind buzzwords and marketing terms that don't fully explain why they are important.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I saw what you mean about the fit, each pair seems kinda different in regards to fit.

About the weight on the SR6s, is it evenly distributed or does it hang in certain places? I imagine the knee armor would be the biggest culprit here.

It's evenly distributed, I think. I didn't try any with the armor, because I didn't like the fit of any of the SR6's I tried on.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Popping in to shout out to the amazing customer service at https://www.boltbikes.co.uk

Sent them an email on the weekend about part of my visor retention thing being broken on the helmet i got from them about 8 months back. They contacted the manufacturer, waited a day and got no reply from them, then just told me they're going to cover the warranty themselves, got the replacement part this morning in the mail!

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Anybody know a good cell phone mount for a S7 edge? Apparently those RAM mounts everyone uses pushes the buttons too much.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Likewise I'm in the market for a phone mount that fits a Nexus 5X. I have a bag thing that worked fine with my Nexus 4, but it's too small for the 5X.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My REV'IT! Levante jacket is literally coming apart after 5 months, and maybe 2500 miles. I contacted Revzilla to see if they'll do anything, anyone know if they will? $300 jacket and already dissembling itself under normal use in 5 months, REVIT isn't looking too good to me. Hopefully its just a fluke and they'll fix it.

http://i.imgur.com/jbv8VeL.jpg

Guess I'll wear my heavy black A* jacket, it's only 101F today..

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

My REV'IT! Levante jacket is literally coming apart after 5 months, and maybe 2500 miles. I contacted Revzilla to see if they'll do anything, anyone know if they will? $300 jacket and already dissembling itself under normal use in 5 months, REVIT isn't looking too good to me. Hopefully its just a fluke and they'll fix it.

http://i.imgur.com/jbv8VeL.jpg

Guess I'll wear my heavy black A* jacket, it's only 101F today..

Contact Rev'It too. Lots of brands like feedback about their gear, and I'm sure they would rather try to make you happy than have you post pictures of their gear being crap all over every bike website you can find.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Contact Rev'It too. Lots of brands like feedback about their gear, and I'm sure they would rather try to make you happy than have you post pictures of their gear being crap all over every bike website you can find.

I was going to wait to see what Revzilla said but I emailed REV'IT too. Hopefully it'll get repaired under warranty or something. Too bad I'm losing my summer jacket in the middle of the summer.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Schroeder91 posted:

I was going to wait to see what Revzilla said but I emailed REV'IT too. Hopefully it'll get repaired under warranty or something. Too bad I'm losing my summer jacket in the middle of the summer.

I'm like 99% sure they will.

p.s. I work at RevZilla.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm like 99% sure they will.

p.s. I work at RevZilla.

Yup, gotta send it to Philly and they'll examine it and then send to manufacture and either repair or new one.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Schroeder91 posted:

Yup, gotta send it to Philly and they'll examine it and then send to manufacture and either repair or new one.

They will most likely give you the value of the jacket in store credit.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

That'd be nice. They made it sound like it'll likely be a repair which is fine but that would be cool to be able to get a new clean one!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Picked up a Shark Skwal helmet and Klim Induction jacket. The helmet is nice and comfy for my dome, and we'll see how the jacket is when it arrives tomorrow.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've been super disappointed with Rev'It's build quality.

I bought a Sand 2 and within 6 months the rain liner's snaps had all come out and the velcro on the outer pockets was coming off. I sent it back to RevZilla (who was awesome) but it still took 3 weeks to get it back from Rev'It.

Less than a year later, but after the 1-year warranty expired, all the snaps have come through the rain liner again, and the zipper pull on the sleeve just came off. They're little things, but jesus, man. If daily use is going to wreck this poo poo, what's going to happen in an off?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I have super wide 4E feet, and I haven't found any motorcycle footwear that would fit me. I can swing a 2E but it's tight. Anyone know of where a hobbit can find some motorcycle kicks?

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Grimes posted:

I have super wide 4E feet, and I haven't found any motorcycle footwear that would fit me. I can swing a 2E but it's tight. Anyone know of where a hobbit can find some motorcycle kicks?

I'm a hobbit footed person (11.5/12 4E). I ended up going with the Tourmaster Solution Wide as it actually fit my foot. They only come in equivalent to EE size, but it is made to accommodate a large volume foot, which helps get you some extra space if you have high arches or other shenanigans going on down there.

Another option is the Sidi Vertigo Mega. It's also an EE size. It's going to be much more rugged and crash-survivable than the Tourmasters. I tried these on, but they didn't fit right for my feet, hence why I went with the tourmasters.

Fishvilla fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 20, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Lynza posted:

I've been super disappointed with Rev'It's build quality.

I bought a Sand 2 and within 6 months the rain liner's snaps had all come out and the velcro on the outer pockets was coming off. I sent it back to RevZilla (who was awesome) but it still took 3 weeks to get it back from Rev'It.

Less than a year later, but after the 1-year warranty expired, all the snaps have come through the rain liner again, and the zipper pull on the sleeve just came off. They're little things, but jesus, man. If daily use is going to wreck this poo poo, what's going to happen in an off?

That's sad to hear because I thought Rev'it was one of the better manufacturers especially considering that they have a higher price point. I was looking at some mesh gear from them, but maybe I'll have to consider something else.

I'll wait to the winter, but I'm seriously going to look at options for using my phone / bluetooth on the bike and seeing about a low profile camera. I still usually just memorize a route, though I have a GPS for when I get lost and listen to the sound of the engine when I ride.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 20, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fwiw I've been commuting in rev'it mesh trousers for a year now and they're doing fine :shrug:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, my revit stuff is doing great as well (2 years). Maybe they only got lovely recently.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I only have a pair of their gloves (Cayenne crew represent!) and I've been satisfied so far. Fortunately I haven't crashed this pair yet.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have the exact same jacket as Schroeder without any problems. I just had one of the tabs on the liner rip, but i could probably sew it back on my own. The cheap dirt bike style gloves I had from them lasted about 6 years.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Deeters posted:

I have the exact same jacket as Schroeder without any problems. I just had one of the tabs on the liner rip, but i could probably sew it back on my own. The cheap dirt bike style gloves I had from them lasted about 6 years.

I really like the jacket and I'm hoping it was just a fluke and the thread wasn't tied off or whatever they do and came undone. I could sew it back or have a seamstress do it, but it's under warranty still so I'll do that. My REV'IT gloves though are eh. I like em but after only a few months the velcro isn't holding very well. I really want the Cayenne gloves like Chiche, but $180 is too rich for my blood.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Got my Klim Induction jacket. It's great. The quality is top notch all around, no loose threads or frays or anything that makes me second guess the purchase.

Flows air like crazy too. Two thumbs up so far!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Fishvilla posted:

I'm a hobbit footed person (11.5/12 4E). I ended up going with the Tourmaster Solution Wide as it actually fit my foot. They only come in equivalent to EE size, but it is made to accommodate a large volume foot, which helps get you some extra space if you have high arches or other shenanigans going on down there.

Another option is the Sidi Vertigo Mega. It's also an EE size. It's going to be much more rugged and crash-survivable than the Tourmasters. I tried these on, but they didn't fit right for my feet, hence why I went with the tourmasters.

I asked pretty much the same question regarding wide boots on the last page but it got kind of lost so I never got an answer. Has anyone tried the TCX S-streets? Apparently they run wide and are in between the Tourmasters and Sidis in price. They also have a torsion control thingy, but I'm not sure if you would need that for street riding (though I don't think there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to survivng a crash).

edit:

Renaissance Robot posted:

This is a velcro problem, buy Knox. The Orsa is basically the same glove as the Cayenne but with a boa closure (ratchet dial laces) instead of velcro, and only $120.

I was looking up the boa system and apparently there are a couple boots that use it as well. One pair in particular that looks promising is called the Axo Aragons. Maybe a bit overkill for street and commuting and out of my price range, but still cool to see the boa ratcheting system being used elsewhere.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 22, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Schroeder91 posted:

My REV'IT gloves though are eh. I like em but after only a few months the velcro isn't holding very well. I really want the Cayenne gloves like Chiche, but $180 is too rich for my blood.

This is a velcro problem, buy Knox. The Orsa is basically the same glove as the Cayenne but with a boa closure (ratchet dial laces) instead of velcro, and only $120.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance Robot posted:

Agreed. Boa closure is boss af.

Velcro is not a great fastener for repeated use, in my opinion. It's fine for small things. Little pockets you don't use much on a backpack or something. Back pocket of shorts that you don't use much, etc. But for stuff you're frequently opening and closing, especially if it's exposed to weather, it's not that great. Plus, stuff is always getting stuck in the hooks.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Welp, my Held Race-Tex gloves are gonna have to go back. The liner, which was supposed to be permanently bonded to the shell, hasn't been staying put in the fingers and it finally bothered the poo poo out of me enough to get me to send an email about it. Luckily Revzilla and Held are gonna take care of it, but I'll still need gloves in the interim. It's a shame, once these gloves broke in (and it was a hell of a time getting them on and off the first couple weeks, but the Size 11 was just too drat big) they fit... well, like a glove :v: Kept my hands dry too, even in the Florida heat and rain. At least as dry as sweaty hands in 98° weather can possibly be.

At least it's an excuse to go gear shopping, I suppose. Probably going to go for a dedicated lightweight summer street glove, since whenever I get my track gearset put together, the Held gloves will suffice.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 22, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I got last years A* GP-Pro jacket on turbo clearance. The size 38/48 fit best, surprisingly. Its weird riding in something so rigid, I know it will break in and Ill get used to it, but I feel like and probably look like the tin man

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

I got last years A* GP-Pro jacket on turbo clearance. The size 38/48 fit best, surprisingly. Its weird riding in something so rigid, I know it will break in and Ill get used to it, but I feel like and probably look like the tin man

I have that in the same size, I really like it. Unfortunately, I've gotten a little fat for it with a Forcefield back protector on. (I'm selling it, if anyone is interested)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I have that in the same size, I really like it. Unfortunately, I've gotten a little fat for it with a Forcefield back protector on. (I'm selling it, if anyone is interested)

Mine fits me with a nucleon in it, but it's pretty snug. As it breaks in it should fit perfectly, the only other jacket I tried on that was close to the right fit was this incredible white and red RS Taichi. GMX motion I think? I wanted it really badly but even my zany new hobby enthusiasm couldn't overcome a $570 price tag.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's finally mid summer temperatures here and I took the local Norwegian brand mesh jacket, klim Dakar pants and O'Neal rebrand of Afx fx-51 helmet out for a spin. Holy poo poo and that jacket and pants feel so flimsy and inadequate after 20ish k miles in a klim badlands set. The helmet has it's place, it has all the air (and all the noise).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

You has PM.

I really oughta buy a Shoei RF-1200 though. I dropped my HJC FG-17 the other day like a moron and it left a pretty nice impact mark in the exterior.

Edit: Aw man, I really really like the Beacon in yellow but it's out-of-stock for Large heads.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 24, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Where have you checked? Should be in stock with at least one retailer. I love that graphic.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

You has PM.

I really oughta buy a Shoei RF-1200 though. I dropped my HJC FG-17 the other day like a moron and it left a pretty nice impact mark in the exterior.

Edit: Aw man, I really really like the Beacon in yellow but it's out-of-stock for Large heads.

Heres an XXL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shoei-RF-12...h25RO7A&vxp=mtr

L is red
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Shoei...j5Scq-h&vxp=mtr

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Does anyone here have a pair of Racer R-safes? I've seen them come up in discussion every now and then and supposedly they're one of the best pairs of gloves available. I'm just wondering if anyone here has first-hand experience with them.

Also, I noticed they and my scorpion SGS gloves have the same knox scaphoid protectors. I guess knox licenses these little things out to other companies, so how come more companies don't use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Has anyone here mounted a go pro to the chin on their helmet? I got a session recently and put it on top my helmet, but I don't like the perspective. The chin area on my helmet is occupied by a vent slider, and most helmets I thin kI want are the same. is there some sort of clip that can be used to mount it sort of inside the helmet and then hold the go pro above the chin-vent apparatus?