Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
There are an absolute shitload of pages. Is the Op pretty up to date? I am looking to pick up my first set of gear for summer riding and keeping my skin mostly on, already have gloves/boots/helmet from the MSF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Thanks! I will.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I'm liking this jacket:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/speedway_jacket.html

It looks nice, conservative, and is leather (which I understand protects well). The price is also not terrible for a first jacket, and the style is good (my bike is blue so the black will go with it alright).

Is Joe Rocket a good brand? I understand it will probably be hot as balls, but I'm willing to sacrifice being hot for still having a good thick layer of skin and also it looking halfway decent. I'm not a huge fan of the mesh jackets.

Another question I have is that I wonder if I should just head down to my local Cycle Gear and try on some jackets for my first purchase?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So maybe something like this instead?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_and_vests/textile_jackets/joe_rocket/comet_jacket.html

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Lynza posted:

I've got the Rev'It Air and I love it. Even stopped it's not too bad. Moving it's like wearing nothing except whatever I have on underneath. Perfed leather should be similar, I think.

A good way to go is an Underarmor (or similar sweat-wicking underlayer) with a mesh/perf jacket, plus shorts (wicking again!) with mesh/perf pants. You'll be surprisingly comfortable as long as you're moving, and even not moving isn't horrible. Invest in a camelbak-style thing so you can stay hydrated. Get a cooling vest. I use a Buff soaked in water and just put it around my neck. Evaporates and keeps me pretty comfortable in 90F+.

I actually ended up getting an A* Air. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-t-gp-r-air-jacket

I figured I had no idea what motorcycle jackets are sized like and wandered down to the local Cycle Gear to check out the look and feel of some of the stuff that they had. Living in the south, the guy moved me away from the more expensive leather jackets and was trying to sell me on the virtues of mesh (which I really just don't like the look or feel of). The A* was on sale and felt really good, so I was able to buy that and a back protector plate.

Now I can hardly wait to lay the bike down!*

*this is a lie

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 22, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, it has a little padding for the chest and I picked up a Bilt back plate insert thing that fits inside it. For right now I feel like that jacket will suffice and protect me decently. Once I get closer to winter and things start getting colder maybe I'll actually spring for a full leather jacket.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Goons can be huge dicks, try not to take it personally. They thought you were trolling because you came into a motorcycle thread and came off as anti-helmet. They're not used to someone doing that because with motorcycling (at least in this forum) people are pretty generally pro-helmet.

At the end of the day, wearing a helmet for biking or motorcycling is a good idea. You seem to have gotten that point quite well. There's a lot of good research out there for both motorcycling and human-powered biking showing that helmets help prevent injuries. Some people seem to be getting confused and are thinking you're trying to wear a cycling helmet for motorcycling (which you're not), which is a thing some people might do to try to save money (motorcycling helmets are hundreds of dollars because they need to stand up to really high impacts and such).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Oh, it looks like it's got a detachable smaller bag that fits into that groove. Nice.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So I'm buying pants this month, I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on this?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/scorpion/deuce_mesh_motorcycle_overpants.html

Currently I just wear jeans, so they get soaked if I go through a puddle. I like the idea of overpants, but really don't know what I should be looking for. Mesh seems like a good idea since it's warm down here most of the time when I'm riding, and abrasion resistant also seems like a good idea.

EDIT: I ended up ordering them based of of some other reviews I found. I'll wear them as overpants and see how they work out.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 13, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

We should really put this in the OP or something, but what were the recommendations for helmet mounted bluetooth speakers again?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Perfect, thanks.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

What do you guys wear to keep your neck/face warm while riding? I was comfortable otherwise yesterday, but the wind getting up under my helmet and across my beautiful, delicate face was awful.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Thanks for the info. It really doesn't get that cold out here so I've got some time, and now have plenty of options.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ended up picking up the Cyclone Polar Buff. I'll let you guys know how it ends up working out in quasi-cold weather (it usually only drops to maybe mid-40s or low 50s here), but I am a fan so far. Anything that has its own 1-minute "How to wear this" video...

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So whoever recommended the Buff, it's a great piece of riding wear. The material is thin enough to fit under a helmet (like you said) and yet can be doubled up at the bottom of the helmet to keep wind from coming in. Not terribly expensive either. Rode to the local cycle store and back today (~15 miles round trip, so not really long) in 45 degree weather, in the rain. Face wasn't really cold at all.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

What would be the cheapest thing to do to keep my arms and hands warm in the winter? Last time I rode they were the only things that were cold. I know I probably need to replace my gloves with something that actually has wrist coverage, but what about for my arms?

I'm wearing an armored A* jacket, but it's mesh. So it's not doing a lot for my warmth, but I'd prefer to not have to buy a whole new jacket if I don't have to. Anything I can wear underneath it? Maybe just a heavier sweatshirt or something?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Around 20-30 at the coldest for a couple of weeks. So I'm thinking a full new jacket might be overkill for that brief a period. Especially considering I don't commute so I can just crank the heat in the car.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Lynza posted:

You can get some pretty thin underlayer things to wear. It'd probably be thin enough that it wouldn't make putting your jacket on impossible. That might be a way to go. You could try arm warmers, too. UnderArmor makes some stuff like that, and there are plenty of motorcycle-specific options, too. I'm considering it for my commutes this winter, as well.

I think MotorcycleGear.com is doing a sale of an underlayer suit that might work for you.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aaron's_fun_stuff/swag/moto_d/cold_weather_baselayer.html

That raises a couple of weird questions: Do you wear anything under that under layer? Also how do you go to the bathroom?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You need to get a windproof layer. Keep the cold air as from from your skin as possible. And then warmth layers underneath.

I have a rain jacket big enough to go on the outside of my riding jackets and it's extremely valuable in winter.

But once you buy all this you might have just been better off buying a new jacket...

My Cyclone Buff is possibly the best thing I've ever bought for riding.

Well, the rain jacket would serve two purposes. Especially if it packs down enough to fit in my tail bag.

Three purposes if it's hi-viz.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So I've got $250 to spend on gear post-Christmas (most of it in Cycle gear gift cards), and what I need is some cold/wet/dark weather upper body gear. Any recommendations for something that would work for 30-60 F and possibly be water resistant?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Alright guys. Can anyone kindly explain to me what the hell these are?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-associate-vest

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-strength-rage-with-the-machine-jacket

fakeedit: And please don't say "A $400 vest and a weird almost mad-max thing that belongs at the closest gaybar's leather night". That much is obvious.

It's so when your body is cold but you need your arms free for punching.

The second is just hilarious: Rage WITH the machine!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

nitrogen posted:

You are far more likely to continually shove wax up into and against your eardrum by doing this. Its a gradual and continual process till it finally gets clogged enough to impair hearing.

At least that's what my doc tells me.

Yeah the only real way to clean it is to go from the inside out.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I'm probably going to order Sena SMH10R bluetooth today (well, this evening). Does anyone have complaints/cautions for that particular model? I don't really care about the smaller battery - the talk time and such seems fine for me.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

That's pretty much all I want it for. It's either between that or this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Sena-SMH5-02-Bluetooth-Full-Face-Motorcycles/dp/B0087NB1IW/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WZDKE2X8J9BB86BAKKQ

I really don't ride with groups often (but friends I have do use Senas so if I do, it'd have to be compatible). I just want to be able to use GPS and listen to music.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Lynza posted:

Yeah, I think people really underestimate how much damage our hands and feet will take when we go down. What do you catch yourself with when you fall? Your hands. Feet are like flappy bone sacks waiting to be crushed. Good boots and gloves are really important.

Also if you don't wear gloves you'll get back of the hand sunburn. Which, if we're honest, is the worst part.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Now that I've got a bike worth stealing I need to know what sort of locks to buy. I'm thinking of a big chain lock maybe?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Alright, a simple lock will suffice then. Next question, luggage!

The CB500F doesn't look to have any native mounting points. I really have no idea what I should but, but I need at least a good sized tail bag for hauling minor groceries or my laptop. Preferably that I can extend into saddlebags eventually.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Radbot posted:

I refuse to believe that 35mph speeds cause 90dB levels of noise as perceived within a helmet, sorry.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/hearing_brochure.pdf The FAA says you're going to find 90dB levels in the cockpit of a single rotor helicopter, without a headset. A helicopter is louder than 35mph wind.

It is funny that everyone is sperging about my lack of earplugs when most riders go without a helmet, but whatevs.

What is the actual % of people going without helmets? I see a lot of people down here without them but I'm assuming that's because they're all just dumb.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I still need to pick up luggage. Enough to store a full face helmet, laptop and change of clothes. Honda CB500F, so a naked 500CC bike. Preferably tailbag and side bags... Also preferably waterproof/resistant. Sub $200.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Get a dry bag from twisted throttle.

Can you suggest one?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

What's the capacity needed to store a helmet?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Alright, what about these saddlebags. Big? Will fit on a sportbike?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-wp405-waterproof-side-bags

Or these?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2731/i/firstgear-silverstone-saddlebags

Really they need to be big enough to hold a laptop and maybe a couple bags of groceries.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I need new gloves. I've got super warm gloves for winter weather, but lost one of my summer gloves. So I guess I need mid-warmth gloves for the pacific northwest for spring/summer/fall.

Any recommendations? I do street riding, and would like something that still gives me some control. Nothing with inner liners or anything, I've got warm gloves for that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Price range? There are a bunch of different options, depending how much you need to spend.

<$100 preferably. But I can go above that if need be, to $150.

I looked at these, they felt really nice and supple while being warm at the same time. Plus some decent scrape protection.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/104-717

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 3, 2016

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ended up going for these guys:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...FUyaRoC6wHw_wcB

Road with them for about 30 miles through twisty stuff, they worked really well.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I'm thinking about getting another helmet, for a few reasons:

1. My helmet right now is loud and not terribly aerodynamic (it's a Dark Alliance)
2. The entire helmet smells like fruit roll-ups even after I wash the liner
3. I'm running out of space for stickers

Any recommendations?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I was looking at Shark Vision R helmets on clearance but I am not sure if I want or need the flip down sun visor.

That's a really good idea, actually. I rarely wear my sun visor because it's mostly overcast, but sometimes the sun comes out and blinds me. It'd be nice to not have to try to anticipate the sun's appearance.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I either have a pair of sunglasses on under the helmet or I have a pair in my tank purse.

Putting things on my face is the worst.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

It's 100 degree days like this that make me want a mesh jacket. Perforated leather is great, but it's still too hot.

I was riding on 26 with a mesh jacket, and even at 55 MPH it was still hot as balls out. I don't think anything helps for 101 degree days when you're on the road. The wind cutting through me was just hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Technically I think I'm supposed to wear an armored stillsuit.