Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.
Mink oil. Lots and lots of mink oil. I use it on everything I own made of leather. Bullwhips, belts, jackets, holsters, scabbards and sheaths. Apply heavily with a brush or cloth, rub in, allow to rest a bit, and wipe off the excess. It might remain tacky for a few days but it will wear off or continue to soak in.

It protects without detergents and keeps the leather supple by replenishing animal fats with good water repellency. It doesn't leave a waxy crayon like layer that Kiwi boot wax will. Ignore the complaints about "over softening" caused by mink oil. Riding leather isn't supposed to be stiff, It's supposed to be comfortable and long wearing. It won't band-aid color loss from scuffed leathers but it will darken and age the wearing in a very distinguished manner.

My Havana Joe boots have been worn daily for more than 4 years through riding conditions, winter salt, seasonal mud and dry summer farm labor. They are on their 2nd pair of soles and the leather is still holding up very well. I wouldn't use anything else.

*edit*

Cleaning leather is almost unnecessary. You can use saddle soap, which is a fatty mixture with some detergents in it, but it's labor intensive. You have to rub it in and wash it off with water. The end results were a lot of dirty rags and a soggy coat that had to dry out before being worn. Just apply minx wax every year and you'll be fine.

TobyLerone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.
I think the jacket held up okay. Leather is leather and it's meant to be disposable in the case of a serious crash. I would keep wearing it after replacing the pad and patching the holes.

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.
Does anyone have recommendations for a helmet with a quick ratcheting strap besides the Speed and Strength variety? How about the aftermarket variety of locking straps that can be purchased separately? I was wearing a SS1100 until I got sideswiped on the interstate last year and need to replace it. With long hair and a beard the strap has quickly become a must have convenience, it cuts down on a lot of the fumbling and hair pulling that occurs with gloved hands. The S&S brand is not a great fit for my head or else I would consider buying another.

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.

Squirrel Burger posted:

Love my Reevu MSX. Has a ratchet strap and I'll never ride with another helmet (until a better one is invented)

How much of a gimmick is the rear view system? I have never seen one of these in person.