Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Two big dudes can muscle your bike into a van in moments. This represents a fairly small portion of thefts but it does happen.

A guy I knew had his R6 taken exactly that way from his apartment complex during hte night. It was chopped up and parted out by the next morning. The police ended up recovering about half of it the next night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

There's something so drat amusing about a jacket called The Violator

I'm inclined to agree. I will say though, that is one awesome looking jacket.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Another newbie question, but what's the consensus about helmets with the flip down internal tinted visor? A girl in my MSF class had one and that seemed pretty optimal to me.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I have an LS2 helmet with a spring loaded internal visor and I don't think I'd buy another helmet without it. It really is incredibly convenient.

Good to know. When I saw her with it, it really seemed like the easiest and most versatile option as far as helmets go so I was planning on looking at something with one when the time comes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

alnilam posted:

I rode in the rain for the first time yesterday and my helmet's visor didn't do so well :(
Does car windshield rain repellent (Rain-X) work on plastic helmet visors?
Does car windshield anti-fog stuff work on plastic helmet visors?

Back when I snowmobiled regularly we no fogged our helmet visors regularly. The stuff we used was called cat crap. It was a cream that came in a little tiny tub. It worked wonders.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Yeah, that was it. I'm not sure how it works with fogging in the rain, but I can tell you that in sub freezing weather it does wonders at preventing fogging from your breath.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, guaranteed your gloves will be nearly as wet with sweat as if you weren't wearing those at all. Have you ever worn a rubberized glove when it's warm out? It turns into a swamp in there. I've had to wear them when working with chemicals and my hands come out looking like I've been in a pool for an hour.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That's the point of the gauntlet. If it didn't go over to it wouldn't block the wind from going up your sleeve.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have any recommendations for 3/4 length boots that look a little more like something that could pass as normal footwear when walking around? I tried on a pair of Alpinestar MX-1 boots earlier today that felt nice and fit me well, but I really wasn't that keen on the overall look of them. I'd like something that looks a little more like a non motorcycle boot, but still has shifter protection and ankle padding.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I wore a balaclava when I snowmobiled, so I'd imagine it would work well on a bike too. The hood keeps it high on your neck so you don't have to worry about the wind getting up into the helmet.

I posted this question a week or so ago, but does anyone have any 3/4 length boot recommendations? I tried on the Alpinestar MX-1 and they felt good, but I wasn't that keen on how they looked. I'd like something that wasn't immediately glaringly obvious that it's a motorcycle boot if I'm walking around somewhere.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I just bought a white perforated leather Alpinestars jacket for riding in FL and I'm blown away by how cool it is.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

This is the way to go. As I've continued to ride I found out what worked and didn't work for me, and I upgraded or side-graded to things I liked better or that worked better in certain situations. I now have three helmets, a pair of gloves and boots, two jackets, three pairs of pants and plans for more. No regrets.

I'll jump on this recommendation as well and I'm also someone who just started riding and just bought their gear. I spent about $700 on a helmet, jacket, boots and gloves. So far I'm happy with everything I bought, though I know I'll want a second pair of gloves for colder weather as I bought a really breathable pair to start with since it's north of 80 degrees about half the year here in FL.

As for hot weather gear, I just bought an Alpinestars white perforated leather jacket and I'm really surprised at how cool it stays.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with motorcycle jeans? I'm looking to get some pants that I feel ok wearing in public if I ride my bike somewhere that I'm going to be for a little while and some of the jean options look appealing. It seems like the ones that look good cost a fortune though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

tirinal posted:

If you can stomach the price, these are amazing and have replaced any other pant for me. Even with d3o armor, off the bike they are comfortable enough to wear all day and are basically identical to a Levi's 501 in presentation.

The styling/wash is a bit 80s, but that's really the only negative thing I have to say about it.

That's my problem with a lot of them is that they have horrible fading and washes. The best looking ones are probably from Maple, but those too are pretty pricey. I definitely want to get something with knee armor as people have noted. I might just have to find some plain looking textile ones.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Marv Albert posted:

Who can recommend me a pair of summer/winter jackets, that are actually slim fit?

I'm 5'9", 38" chest, 28" waist, and 33" sleeves. I'm swimming in the chest, shoulders, and arms on every single men's small, or size 38 jacket I've tried on, but fit better into women's small size jackets. I haven't found a men's extra small or size 36 jacket to try on :(

I say jackets because it's 100-120 degrees every single day here in the summer, in which I'm comfortable riding with a full face helmet, mesh jacket and long sleave shirt underneath. Realistically, I'd like to start riding down into the 40s as well, in which I'm very uncomfortable even with 4 layers, thick gauntlet gloves and a windshield on my bike. I'm quite heat tolerant and very cold intolerant. I don't mind getting two different jackets, unless there's a magic jacket that will fit me in the summer while also keeping me warm (or allowing base layers) in the winter.

I want good protection vis a vis mesh, but I want something that breathes for summer riding. I don't mind a women's jacket as long as there's no roses on it or poo poo. I don't care about water resistance because I never ride in the rain and will never hit a surprise rain storm, but something that will keep me warm in the cold is a priority.

My Alpinestars GP-Air jacket is fairly slim. I'm 6'0 and around a 39" chest. The waist also has cinches to tighten it up a bit.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
While we're on the bluetooth discussion, is there a decent bluetooth set for just music? I have zero interest in being able to answer a call inside my helmet, but I'd like to be able to handlebar mount my phone and stream the audio inside of my headset for music and possibly navigation.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Are there any conditioners that work on white leather? I have the Lexol cleaner, but I've avoided conditioners because of the fear of discoloring.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

I use Renapur on my white leathers and it works great. The cleaner and the balsam conditioner.

Excellent, thanks.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, mine is pretty much a crop top on me. Standing up it terminates around an inch below my belly button. That might not sound like that much, except I'm 6'0 with a 34" inseam. All leg.

I have the opposite problem. I'm 6'0 and a lot of torso. Most of my t-shirts stop too close to my pant line and my dress shirts come un-tucked constantly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Dielectric posted:

Question/observation for the gearheads. I have a Shoei full-face with a clear faceshield. I wear prescription polarized sunglasses under that. Due to some crazy interaction between the shield and my glasses, certain colors take on this weird holographic sheen, especially blacks. Tar snakes really pop out, for instance. It was neat for a while but sort of distracting and I think it's tiring. I don't know if I want to go to a tinted shield, but maybe there's another clear variant that plays well with polarized lenses. Any ideas?

I'd probably not get polarized lenses again. I have to tilt my head to read a phone, and the LCD at the gas pump is a special PITA because the polarizers don't quite line up.

It could be a coating on the face shield or the angle of the shield is changing the polarization from your sunglasses. I get the same weird rainbow effect looking at some people's rear windows when I'm driving in my car if I have my polarized sunglasses on.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Does anybody have any experience with the transition self-tinting visor for the 1200? I've heard they are finally starting to become available. I'm also looking to replace my Qwest and want to avoid needing to swap visors...

Not riding experience, but they're super awesome. Transitions is a customer of mine and I've been watching them develop those things for a few years now.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Slavvy posted:

This weekend I discovered, to my endless annoyance, that my hands are halfway between what Astars call 2XL and 3XL. I ended up getting the bigger ones but I'll never stop being irritated at the thumb being just a fraction too long.

I usually have the opposite problem in that glove thumbs are usually too short and it makes using my thumb difficult. Their 2XL fits me nicely.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

I have perf leather and 85+ it's unbearable if you're sitting still.

I have a white perforated leather and it'd not completely horrible, but it is hot.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I need a backpack and/or tankbag for my Ninja 650, any recommendations?

Want something really high quality, considering a GORUCK GR1 (in addition / as a general all-around backpack), but it's a little pricy so maybe there are equally good options or something more comfortable for riding.

Lifetime guarantee though, plus I've read several reports of people going down on them and only slightly tearing corners of it, and they replaced/fixed it.

The GR1 is a tank. I swam in the ocean dragging mine with me for three days in a row for one of their events and it's still in perfect shape. I haven't been down with it, but I put that bag through a lot of abuse regularly and it's still in amazing shape after 2 years. It is however really no frills so if you need some compartments or something you might want to buy some kind of organizer or something.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Huh. Every video/picture of the drat thing they have one speaker in the helmet and the controls one hanging out.

There is more than one clip in that video of a guy putting both speakers inside of a helmet. My guess is the controls are just mostly for pairing it and aren't used when it's inside the helmet. I'm actually pretty interested in these. They're exactly what I want for music playing since I have no desire to actually answer my phone on my bike.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those are gigantic and with sharp edges and look intensely uncomfortable in a decently-fitting helmet. Also you have to stop, take off your helmet, and remove one speaker just to adjust the volume or skip a track - and it doesn't mention adjusting the volume depending on ambient noise like motorbike bluetooth sets can.

It's a loving stupid design that does nothing that a wired speaker set can't do for half the price.

e: misread the price

I was planning to handlebar mount my phone, so any of the controlling can be done better on that anyway. If I wasn't doing that, yes, I'd just go wired.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Diggie posted:

Fall and spring are generally somewhere between 60 and 75, so I think mesh with a light, long sleeve t-shirt underneath will be all I need then. Alabama is hot and humid almost year round.

You'll almost certainly be cold in that weather. You'd be surprised at how much riding at speed will cool you down. Ever notice how a 10-15mph wind outside can give a windchill about 10 degrees lower than the actual temp? Now imagine that at 50mph+.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Radbot posted:

I refuse to believe that 35mph speeds cause 90dB levels of noise as perceived within a helmet, sorry.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/hearing_brochure.pdf The FAA says you're going to find 90dB levels in the cockpit of a single rotor helicopter, without a headset. A helicopter is louder than 35mph wind.

If it were true that 35mph wind produced 90dB levels of noise, it'd be impossible to hear any car stereo above around 50mph with the windows down! It is funny that everyone is sperging about my lack of earplugs when most riders go without a helmet, but whatevs.

I don't believe that either. I took took several sound and music based physics classes in during my engineering undergrad and did a whole project on sound volumes on car stereos. I did extensive testing inside and outside of a car, moving and not moving to test stereo volumes and 90db is way louder than what I hear inside of my helmet at 35mph. Most of my riding is 50mph or less and I don't think the sound inside of my helmet gets even close to that. I have a decibal meter somewhere, but it's quite bulky and there's no way for me to really test it out inside of my helmet or I'd probably try it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Am I the only one here who likes to pretend they're a knight when they ride?

My niece pretends I am a power ranger.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Please tell me you do a sentai pose every time before getting in the bike

Well now I'm going to have to.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Underarmour boxerjocks, or was it something else you tried? Tbh these are the best thing I've ever owned, if only because of the roomy mesh crotch :feelsgood:

Yeah, these are great. I have a couple pairs of the 6" leg ones. I also have some similar Calvin Klein ones that are really nice.

I finally got rid of pretty much all of my normal cotton boxer briefs after too much leg chaffing walking around in Florida swamp weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

I must have an American-style Alpinestars jacket, the Stunt 2 Leather. It makes me look like an insanely fat gently caress and I want to pick up another jacket in the spring so I don't look like a shithead doofus.

I have one of the euro cut ones and it fits really nicely on a slim build.