Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was just gear shopping motorcyclegear.com for a new riding friend and came across a killer deal on a Shoei Qwest helmet if you have a super small or super big head.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/shoei/qwest_helmets_closeout_graphics.html

If you haven't seen this before, they do this when they can't sell some stuff. You get the helmet cheap, and they ensure you spend another 400 bucks there. Not helpful if you were just helmet shopping but since he'll probably spend 500 on gear anyway it's a good deal so long as a Small fits his head lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Joe Rocket should sell CE armor for it in universal sizes, tho I dunno if there's any difference between companies or if you can get another brand cheaper.

As for whether you should have them or not, which jacket would you want to wear for a fall?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I keep my stuff in the garage but I also don't run my bikes inside of it, and the only time it smells of gas is when I'm filling the lawn mower. Seems like one of those things that can harm helmets in theory but in real life does it actually matter? I dunno, but I've never noticed my helmet liners degrading quickly. I tend to only keep a helmet 3 years or so tho.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well I hate to make you uncomfortable but there are spiders everywhere in your house, not just the garage. I actually release ones to the garage I find and haven't had one make my helmet a home yet. Only time that happened was in the woods.

That mount is nice and cheap but I'd lose out a bit with needing to get air conditioning put in my house. There are no closets downstairs so I'd have to keep my gear in my room.

I think it'll be okay.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/gloves/scorpion/magnum_leather_motorcycle_gloves.html

The larges are out but they have some decent scorpion street gauntlets on one of their gift card sales. Pay 80 and get a 70 dollar gift card if you keep em.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's how they're designed so they fit when you're riding.

Do you trip a lot or something?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Backov posted:

Having the knee armor in place while I'm still riding doesn't seem to be as important as having the knee armor in place while I'm sliding across the pavement.

Do you plan on standing up as you're falling to the ground?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

NipplesTheCat posted:

http://www.jamplugs.com/p/order-now.html

Just ordered a pair of these guys. We'll see how good they are.

The price isn't too bad, but you can do the same thing yourself with 20 dollar buds and foam ear plugs. I'm cheap so I did this, but it looks like they had pretty much the same idea.

nsaP posted:

I put some holes thru earplugs that I cut a bit shorter and have been using those. As long as there's a hole all the way thru the sound comes out well.

As for them falling out, the foam helps that for one, but I tuck mine thru my helmet strap. After I feed the strap thru both buckles I put the cable in between both buckles, then finish threading the strap thru. When you pull on the cable it tends to just pull on the neck strap.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My dad wears 15s and found a pair of Sidi half boots in 14 that fit. I have a friend who wears 18s and I think he's screwed.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Anybody here have a set of saddlebags for their sport / standard bike? I'm looking for something to strap to the SV650 to give a tad more versatility (like groceries, small purchases, maybe a jacket?). I'm also open to a tail bag of some sort.

I got some Nelson Rigg soft bags from motorcyclegear.com and they're pretty decent. I wouldn't really recommend them for daily use but they would work, I just use them for camping. I got a tail bag from them too for pretty cheap, this one I think http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/closeouts/luggage/nelson_rigg/sprt20_spirit_sport_tail_bag.html

It's not huge but it hold anything I'd be cruising around to a friends house with or whatever.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I haven't seen one but if it's made by HJC it can't be terrible. JP money talks about nice helmets in the 100-125 dollar range but every helmet I've bought has been in that range and they've all been cheap in one way or another. They work, they're adequate, but they all have one or more annoyances that show why 300 dollar helmets are worth the price.

I had a HJC cheapo that came with my bike for my first and a decent Shoei as my second helmet. I bought a new HJC CL-16 that was a nightmare(although others liked them), parts broke off and I returned it. I missed the Shoei and I wore it while I had the HJC, even thought I knew it was old, because it was more comfortable. I got a new Scorpion EXO-1000 from my dad after he bought it and it was too small. I had to return it too after a plastic sun visor mount piece broke, but the one I've had since has been good. A bit more expensive than the HJC but good. I think I'll go for a more expensive, lighter and more comfortable helmet next time.

TL:DR If you're new to riding (and have a higher chance of crashing), buy a cheap helmet to be safe please. Once you get some experience find one that works for you.

ed: The shoei was awesome. light as gently caress and good ventilation

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 14, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It just dropped by itself?

It's fine then man, as long as the outer shell is in tact. The foam inside is meant to deform with your head in it, if it just hit the ground it's probably fine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ask z3n about that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've been wearing my leather a year and a half now and I've never washed it besides rain riding. It's starting to looks dry tho, particularly the back. I'll be hitting it with conditioner soon and should have done it sooner.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think you can find Sidi boots in that size, or close to it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There's not that much to the liners if you have a tub and some detergent. I've always hand washed mine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Given how long these things apparently last I'd probably have no problem shaking one loose if another seattle area rider wants a sample when or if the box of 100 I ordered ever actually loving arrives.

Would you mail some for a few bux?

:siren: Attn: New riders

Cheap helmet. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl16_solid_motorcycle_helmet.html

I had some problems with a cl-16 but the overall opinion is that they're a good beginner helmet.

edit: I had plastic pieces break and to the company's (or motorcyclegear, i can't remember) credit they took the helmet back on warranty and refunded my money.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 19, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd say it's about a size smaller.

Nah, can't help you there but it does look like they have different visors.

Also if you wanna go all high vis steam punk there's one even cheaper http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_16_machine_helmet.html

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 19, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Motorcycle gear has some deals on (ugly IMO) helmets again, great for new riders. HJC CL-16 for 40 bucks with their little giftcard thing they do. Totally worth it if you can float the 100 bucks or you're planning on buying other gear. For 40 bucks for a CL-16 I was considering one even though I don't need a helmet...

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_16_voltage_helmet.html

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_16_virgo_helmet.html

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Thanks for the review on them, bummer they weren't the miracle product you tried before. Maybe they give out stronger industrial stuff.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He has got to be the most punchable man in motorcycling. Not that he has the problem, but how he says it:

In fact, my only real problem is that a weight-lifting regimen has grown my quads to the point where they barely squeeze into the jeans’ legs. Thankfully, Deth Killers now has a new, more generous cut.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Schroeder91 posted:

Welp I accidentally hit commit to buy (I swear it was an accident) on the SIDI Cobra Air boots on ebay for $260. Guess I'm going with those unless they're willing to cancel it for me :v:

Edit: they cancelled it :angel:

My dad wears 15s and SIDI was one of the few brands he could find in that size. I think someone else got some too earlier in this thread. Other than full boots like that you might be looking to non-riding boots to find ones that fit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Phone camera - sits in it's mount. If it's another one I have a tank bag.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I pump mine up a few times if I'm about to do something bad rear end :rock:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

It's not designed for rectal use, you know.

Neither is a penis according to fundamental Christians, yet look how well it fits.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://motorcyclegear.com has pretty detailed sizing descriptions and they'll compare it to other gear. See if they have a pair you own and what you're looking for.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pope Mobile posted:

Well, the Nolan is no more and I now have an AGV K-3 Gecko:

Snagged it for $69 on closeout, which was actually lower than my employee discount. I forgot what it was like to have a true full face. It's very light for a plastic shell, and cuts through the wind quite well.

Pretty sure you technically stole that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Honestly I'm becoming more and more partial to that pink fuzzy get up that motojournal rider wears.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have to crack my Scorpion always.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think about every pair of gloves I've bought has had too much fabric past the seam in the fingers and required me to trim it shorter. If it's the seam itself I don't know what to tell you.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Tell him if he wants to look "tactical" all the dudes on the TV shows wear riding gloves.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Razzled posted:

Well it's less that, I think he just doesn't want to look like he identifies with any sort of moto subgroup (H-D goons, crotch rocketeers, motogp) I told him I'd buy him an aerostitch or something but he shot that idea down, he doesn't like the 1 piecers either.

I just don't know what brand would be low key in looks.

Explain to him that it's about impact protection on places like hips, knees, elbows and shoulders, and sliding protection on other parts. There are a ton of gear companies like Aerostich or Tour Master(cheaper intro gear), First Gear (same), REV'IT, that make subtle riding gear.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 14, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Why are you submitting an incomplete list of gear? If insurance covers gear submit it all. Also, insurance doesnt buy you new gear - they give you the value of your old gear. What you're doing is insurance fraud, you're supposed to provide them a list of the things you damaged in the crash and they give you the value of those items (sometimes minus some kind of wear and tear amount).

"Only submitting what you damaged, that's fraud!"

Z3n posted:

Interesting - state farm just pays out MSRP for whatever you were wearing. No need for receipts, just "I had this gear on, dollars plz, if you have gear coverages".

I'd personally just claim everything I was wearing at the time. I rarely buy poo poo at MSRP so usually an accident nets me a pretty nice payout.

Early phone posting, so didn't mean to insult with my initial reply :)

"Anyway here's how I'd commit fraud."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Really push a full face but ultimately this:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anything is better than nothing, find something that appeals to her sense of style if you can. Bicycle helmets will provide the least protection and look universally dorky, so that's not really a good starting point.

You gotta buy the gear you'll wear. A full face helmet is worthless on the shelf at home.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Razzled posted:

Interrogative: Does it make me overtly squidly if I say I've been riding around with the front of my jacket unzipped? It feels amazing when it's hot as gently caress outside.

Starting a sentence with "Interrogative" makes you a huge douche regardless of whether or not you're a squid.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Cheap gauntlet at motorcyclegear http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/gloves/cortech_by_tour_master/hydro_gt_gloves.html

I just picked up a pair and they look p. good so far. Palm puck, armor on the back, sealed up in the fingers but a bit of venting on the back. Might be the first set of gloves I don't have to turn inside out and trim the seams on as well, so that's nice.

Edit: Just noticed I definitely won't because they're external seams. Good glove for 50 bucks. It might be a bit hot tho, I'll have to test them. Also they don't work on my phone screen :/

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 13, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That sounds like it could still break in.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

M42 posted:

Shoulda clarified, I mean something you can drink from while riding.

You aren't racing. If you're riding long enough to need water, you'd probably do well to take a break and stretch your legs as well. I carry a camelback on trips but it's in the tail bag.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's probably going to be more trouble than it's worth, but if you are that dry, have at it. If I was in that situation I might put one in a tank bag for easy access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Razzled's avatar isn't enough, he needs some red text warning people of his experience level.