Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Eeeexcellent NeroBro :cheers:

Perhaps goons can help me with my little conundrum then. Do I buy a proper 2 piece leather suit (I dont want a 1 piece suit) or do I buy a jacket now and pants later, given the fact that I will probably only wear the pants once or twice a year for trackdays etc.

What is the consensus of the quality of Teknic's leathers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
So can anyone give me some feedback on Teknic stuff, like their leather jackets and suits. I got my eye on a particular jacket but I don't want to buy any of their gear if it is like the stories I have heard about Icon's stuff.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Uthor posted:

I have a "Professional Strength" aerosol glass cleaner that I use on the windshield of my car. I have a bug-splattered face shield on my helmet. Is there any danger of messing up the face shield if I use the glass cleaner on it? I could always use Windex, but this stuff is ten times better.

IIRC Windex will gently caress your visor, especially if its one of those iridium ones. My mate used to use Windex (I think) on his visor and it hosed the mirror finish up and scratched it to buggery.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well I've just destroyed my credit card buying this:

I'm always prepared to pay extra for good gear and this time around wasn't going to be an exception. Now all I need is a pair of pants that will zip up to it and i'll have a top-notch set of leathers.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My Alpinestars Track Pants turned up yesterday. They seem to be a well made bit of gear with some fairly thick leather in most places. Mated up perfectly to the SMX Air-Flo jacket I bought a month previously.

In fact, they should mate up to any Alpinestars leather jacket with the circumference zipper.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

NoImaBear posted:

How are you liking that jacket? I am seriously debating on picking one up.

So far so good, its a very 'rigid' fit but also very comfortable too. The aero hump in the back has some sort of hard foam in it that kinda digs into my back but that is the only uncomfortable thing about it.

It appears to be very well made, and it looks poo poo hot too :whatup:

Hopefully I will never have to use it in anger, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Mine's the 2006 version, not the '07 version.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

ClockworkZero posted:

If you're looking at interesting shapes/forms then maybe check out Simpson helmets
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/Helmets.aspx
maybe something like the Bandit series or Speedway RX

Inst that what The Stig wears? (but in white)

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Went out for a blat today with my new track pants on, I can see its going to take a bit of getting used to riding with them on, they were very rigid and tight around the knees at first and it kind of worried me a bit. But after about an hour or so they seemed to break in a little and riding with them was like second nature.

Apart from the armour plating in the left knee being a little out of place (it digs into my knee somewhere and is annoying) they're great. Its wierd, but I feel a lot more confident giving it some berries on the street with decent leathers on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Anyone know where I can buy replacement cheek pads for my Shark helmet? I'm pretty hosed off that less than a year after I bought this thing the pads are starting to come apart around the collar.

The dealer goes "normal wear and tear". Pigs arse, I didnt pay $500 for a lid to have it start falling to bits after 8 months.