Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was a really weird and complicated opening for this episode of Mythbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm actually surprised that the 180 degree barrel actually worked.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 23, 2014

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Missed the opening but I'm kinda digging the Heavy Metal-style animations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So you can fire a gun in space. I'll be damned

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Both NASA and the Soviet space agency issued guns to astro/cosmonauts.

Also I've heard of the other myths from this episode but not this fryer gun one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

Also I've heard of the other myths from this episode but not this fryer gun one.

I don't see why it wouldn't fire.

E: I misheard the myth.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DarklyDreaming posted:

So you can fire a gun in space. I'll be damned

Why couldn't you? Or is it just another profoundly stupid fan myth ala airplane/treadmill?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Both NASA and the Soviet space agency issued guns to astro/cosmonauts.

The Soviets only issued guns because their capsules were designed to land on solid ground and not the ocean. A couple missions ended with the capsule landing off course and the cosmonauts having to hold up inside with wolves prowling around.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been rewatching Deadliest Catch on Amazon Prime, and I would love for Discovery to release an uncensored version. I usually don't mind bleep-outs because I can fill in the details, but sometimes it feels like I'm watching The Best of Martin Scorcese on ABC Family.

Also is the series still going (stopped watching shortly after Phil died), or did Sig and John finally get sick of the cameramen or something?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Soviets only issued guns because their capsules were designed to land on solid ground and not the ocean. A couple missions ended with the capsule landing off course and the cosmonauts having to hold up inside with wolves prowling around.

Yeah but actual space-based weaponry was far from unheard of. The
soviets mounted an autocannon to at least 1 successful space station.

Not sure it's ever been confirmed but it wouldn't shock me if the US did something similar, considering the Shuttle was such a massive tire fire (in part) because it had to be capable of kidnapping satellites to get military funding. Not to mention Reagan's retarded sci-fi fever dream of trickle down economics SDI.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IRQ posted:

Why couldn't you? Or is it just another profoundly stupid fan myth ala airplane/treadmill?

The theory was that since gunpowder requires oxygen to burn, in an airless environment there wouldn't be a reaction so striking the primer would do nothing. Clearly that isn't true- Adam tweeted that bullets contain their own oxygen.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been rewatching Deadliest Catch on Amazon Prime, and I would love for Discovery to release an uncensored version. I usually don't mind bleep-outs because I can fill in the details, but sometimes it feels like I'm watching The Best of Martin Scorcese on ABC Family.

Also is the series still going (stopped watching shortly after Phil died), or did Sig and John finally get sick of the cameramen or something?

Still going, with Jake Harris spiraling into addiction and barely being on the show. He was not on the show at all last season. Josh was barely shown last season as well, which was weird since they were building him up in the previous seasons. Sig and the Northwestern are basically the face of the show.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ToastyPotato posted:

Still going, with Jake Harris spiraling into addiction and barely being on the show. He was not on the show at all last season. Josh was barely shown last season as well, which was weird since they were building him up in the previous seasons. Sig and the Northwestern are basically the face of the show.

Sad to hear that about Jake, though I can't say I'm surprised.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Yeah but actual space-based weaponry was far from unheard of. The
soviets mounted an autocannon to at least 1 successful space station.

Not sure it's ever been confirmed but it wouldn't shock me if the US did something similar, considering the Shuttle was such a massive tire fire (in part) because it had to be capable of kidnapping satellites to get military funding. Not to mention Reagan's retarded sci-fi fever dream of trickle down economics SDI.

It was brought up in the one of the "Old Tech" threads in PYF that the Soviets actually had a primitive laser pistol that was supposed to be used in space. Not sure how effective it was though.

Anyway, the season finale of Mythbusters was kind of fun with the whole Ping Pong ball thing. I was really shocked that they got it that fast. Also kind of confused that they declared it busted instead of plausible because while that didn't look instantly lethal it certainly looked like it would kill you fairly quickly if you didn't get immediate medical attention.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Well, I mean, a *proton* accelerated to a sufficiently high fraction of the speed of light could kill you. A gamma ray at an incredibly high energy could kill you. So of course a ping-pong ball could, if you accelerate it fast enough.

I think the question is, is it even plausible that such a thing would happen? And I mean, even at 1100mph a ping pong ball (and the accompanying air with it) could only go an inch or so into flesh, and that would be directly up against the barrel of a huge ping-pong accelerator. There's no *reasonable* way to do it, and even in a completely unreasonable situation, it's not working. If they got it to 10% the speed of light I'm sure it would burst right through, but that's not going to happen with anything we have on Earth.

So busted feels right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've used "plausible" before to mean something that could happen under specific rare or unlikely circumstances. If the ping-pong ball had hit somewhere vital like the throat or a major artery it could easily have done enough damage to kill.

Funnily enough, there is actually a Russian scientist who was shot in the head with a particle accelerator, resulting in some scary but temporary physical trauma and permanent brain and nerve damage.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Well yeah, I mean, plausible means just that - It could be somewhat unlikely or take an interesting confluence of events, but it could plausibly happen.

The idea that someone would construct a ping pong accelerator like that and use it to try to kill something is completely implausible. I don't take "Busted" to mean "impossible" in this case. It's just so out of the realm of plausibility that on the scale - confirmed/plausible/busted - busted is the only one that makes sense.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
drat IT WHALE WARS!

Apparently whaling WILL end. Good for the whales but now that's just going to encourage the Sea Shepherds.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

haveblue posted:

They've used "plausible" before to mean something that could happen under specific rare or unlikely circumstances. If the ping-pong ball had hit somewhere vital like the throat or a major artery it could easily have done enough damage to kill.

Funnily enough, there is actually a Russian scientist who was shot in the head with a particle accelerator, resulting in some scary but temporary physical trauma and permanent brain and nerve damage.

That guy loving owns. Holy poo poo got shot in the face and his face peeled off and he still finished his PHD. What a testament to being a real man! Thanks for posting that.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fire Storm posted:

drat IT WHALE WARS!

Apparently whaling WILL end. Good for the whales but now that's just going to encourage the Sea Shepherds.
This is going to be very interesting. I'm shocked the ICR is, for the moment, actually complying. Maybe they're finally realizing that nobody's buying their "research" bullshit any more.

Semi-related: River Monsters returns next weekend. Get hyped. :coolfish:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Hazo posted:

This is going to be very interesting. I'm shocked the ICR is, for the moment, actually complying. Maybe they're finally realizing that nobody's buying their "research" bullshit any more.

Semi-related: River Monsters returns next weekend. Get hyped. :coolfish:

They're just delayed until they can modify their activities to fit the new boundaries. Absolutely nothing will change, sadly.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Fire Storm posted:

drat IT WHALE WARS!

"Whaling will end" kind of overstates it. That's just for Japan in Antarctic waters. There will be plenty of things for the Shepherd crew to get outraged about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah there's still plenty of impoverished brown people for them to murder.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Paradox Personified posted:

They're just delayed until they can modify their activities to fit the new boundaries. Absolutely nothing will change, sadly.
This is my suspicion as well. Otherwise, they're still free to hunt whales closer to home in the Pacific. Still a nice temporary victory for non-endangered charismatic megafauna.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Deadliest Catch Stuff:

So I'm hearing that the Cornelia Marie, now owned by Josh Harris, will NOT be featured this season during King season, but WILL be featured during Opies.

I hope it goes well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Tonight's new Survivorman involved Les searching for Bigfoot.

The entire episode consisted of things like: "I'm a total skeptic, but here are some broken trees that I can't easily explain, must be Bigfoot!".

Oh Discovery Channel, how far you have fallen.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

WhiteHowler posted:

Tonight's new Survivorman involved Les searching for Bigfoot.

The entire episode consisted of things like: "I'm a total skeptic, but here are some broken trees that I can't easily explain, must be Bigfoot!".

Oh Discovery Channel, how far you have fallen.

Les is far from a skeptic, he believes in all that bullshit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, Les is a legit kook, but that still sounds really dumb.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
It was, I watched about 15 minutes, and when they got to a still photograph clearly showing Big Foots face on camera, Les wonders if this is an elaborate hoax. Since we hadn't gotten any major news stories recently that a television adventurer discovered Big Foot, it felt like a waste of time to keep watching.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I wonder how Survivorman & Son will pan out?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Those two episodes already aired. They were decent, typical Survivorman fare.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I know its "reality tv" and all that, but Keith on Naked and Afraid is the most reprehensible human being I have ever seen on tv. Dude was acting like a total puss for days, but the second his companion got worn out, he starts calling her a bitch. I just wanted to reach into my tv, slap him across the face and tell him to keep it loving together.

Anyway, Kirsten Bell naked and afraid on Ellen, because Ellen is a better man the rest of us put together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYPoHVQzDs&t=120s

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Ellen is a terrible person who screamingly berates, mistreats and intimidates her own employees. Now that's a discovery

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Pobody's nerfect. :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Irish Joe posted:

I know its "reality tv" and all that, but Keith on Naked and Afraid is the most reprehensible human being I have ever seen on tv. Dude was acting like a total puss for days, but the second his companion got worn out, he starts calling her a bitch. I just wanted to reach into my tv, slap him across the face and tell him to keep it loving together.

I had to look up to see which one that was, and yeah, dude was a puss-bag.

But on what I think was the newest one (or second newest one?) I honestly couldn't believe that one guy actually ate mystery mushrooms from the jungle! Jesus Christ, he's lucky all he got was a (relatively) mild case of food poisoning and not, you know...death. loving moron.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Deadliest Catch premier tonight :woop:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Deadliest Catch premier tonight :woop:

my wife thinks i'm the biggest man child for loving this show so much, but there are very few reality shows that still bring a sense of true reality and danger.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

It's the same thing every year but goddamnit I still love it

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Here's hoping it won't feature 30 minutes of Capt. Keith on Capitol Hill, followed by post-commercial recaps of Capt. Keith on Capitol Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Campbell posted:

Here's hoping it won't feature 30 minutes of Capt. Keith on Capitol Hill, followed by post-commercial recaps of Capt. Keith on Capitol Hill.

At the risk of making you relive something clearly traumatic, what did that shitbird do on the hill?

Also stoked for this show to come back.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

It's the same thing every year but goddamnit I still love it

Time Bandit fuckery and waiting for Keith to inevitably kill someone.

• Locked thread