Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Oof. They actually had aftershows online for awhile at least, and they're about as dumb as you'd expect.

I watched a few after interesting episodes and I enjoyed them well enough. They weren't edited for monkeys and overproduced like the tv show and their non-acting banter wasn't annoying. I can't wait for this trend to die off and I'm really hoping that's what they're going for in the future. Trying to be pawn stars isn't good for the children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Crotch Bat posted:

From what was said at their CC panel, they're dropping the goofy back-and-forth stuff and going for more reality and less edits. They have their discussions, whatever is said is said and they're not going to reset to do it again or go off and shoot all the extra crap they used to do. You get the feeling it was weighing them down and they want to bare bones the show which is probably part of why they dropped the B team.

I gotta be honest, the B team was a crapshoot at absolute best and usually just crap. The more Adam and Jamie the better the show typically was and if they're going back to more of the earlier stuff and dropping all the cutesy talk and conversations along the way the show will probably be better for it.
I was ambivalent/sort of fond of the build team for many previous years when they were getting a lot of hate in places like this thread. But during the last "season" and this one, it really hit me just how much show time is dedicated to their often lower-tier, superficially explored myths, and even further how much wasted film is there is to spotlight their deadeningly unfunny "goofy" gag lines and excessive mugging for the camera, and it began to grate on me for the first time. If this change brings the show back to something more reminiscent of its first era, I'm all for that.

Now, if they get replaced with cheaper stand-in scabs the producers try to market, it will be much worse.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing I liked about the old shows is that they explained what they were doing and why. For instance, if they put 100 lbs of dynamite in a cement truck, they'd explain what that meant, what they expected to happen and why they chose 100 lbs over 75 lbs or dynamite over plastic explosives. They don't do that anymore, and haven't really done much of that since shortly after the build team was introduced. Nowadays they just do stuff without any explanation and it really sucks.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

The thing I liked about the old shows is that they explained what they were doing and why. For instance, if they put 100 lbs of dynamite in a cement truck, they'd explain what that meant, what they expected to happen and why they chose 100 lbs over 75 lbs or dynamite over plastic explosives. They don't do that anymore, and haven't really done much of that since shortly after the build team was introduced. Nowadays they just do stuff without any explanation and it really sucks.

You can't really tell the viewing audience. We're blowing this up to get ratings.

It kind of undermines the effect.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

FogHelmut posted:

I'm really surprised the show is still on at all. Its one of last holdovers from when Discovery was last somewhat decent. The last several years the channel has been nothing but complete poo poo programming.

Actually Fast and Loud is pretty good, with no contrived fake yelling and spending some amount of time on actual building, I don't know how that one slipped through the cracks. They even fired a guy from the shop for being a lovely employee despite being a very popular show character.

I think the reason they haven't hosed with Fast + Loud is because Richard Rawlings was made for TV. Discovery isn't trying to make a show out of fisherman that don't like to talk or effect builders that are used to their work being in the foreground, not themselves.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I think the reason they haven't hosed with Fast + Loud is because Richard Rawlings was made for TV. Discovery isn't trying to make a show out of fisherman that don't like to talk or effect builders that are used to their work being in the foreground, not themselves.

I'm not a car guy at all but I love watching F&L because of Richard and the secretary girl.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You can see some of the "scriptiness" become more prominent in F&L with things like the themed episodes (Dale Jr, & the Bandit car), Richard hiring his sister, and pretty much any interaction he has with people in his office (including Christy).

Then again the show's always had a pretty blatant air of unreality about it. Somehow despite always working under those immense deadlines they find the time to film segments of Richard and Aaron loving around with the finished car. Or that Mustang that they "totaled" then later admitted they fixed and sold.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Reality TV isn't reality?

Where's my pen, I'm writing my Congressperson!

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
They showed off a clip of where they were going next season during their SDCC panel this year. It looks like they're taking the show in a new direction to where Jamie and Adam can be more hands on and instructional with their process while they're solving myths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdfYM1yd15Y&t=1084s

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think the best thing about Fast and Loud is how Aaron's hair changes lengths and styles between every cut, destroying any pretense that any of it was filmed in the order it was edited in.

Also Christie is deceptively hot.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

w00tazn posted:

They showed off a clip of where they were going next season during their SDCC panel this year. It looks like they're taking the show in a new direction to where Jamie and Adam can be more hands on and instructional with their process while they're solving myths.
That's actually a very old direction, and it rules. It was very enjoyable to watch them build nearly everything involved with myth-testing in the earlier years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to imagine that getting rid of the Build Team saves the show a ton of money since they were basically producing two completely separate shows with the same premise and different cast. Especially the stuff about how they had to rent that entire other workshop for their segments.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

FogHelmut posted:

Maybe they can rerun them with twitter popups and call it a "new" episode. Maybe we need an aftershow show to break down what happened.

Hahah :vince:

I wonder if they'll get a new producer to go with the change in direction. More "Some science happened, check this poo poo out." and less "omg such epicness!! :byodood:" wigging out over every single thing no matter how mundane or interesting.

I can only hope this is the case.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Capn Beeb posted:

Hahah :vince:

I wonder if they'll get a new producer to go with the change in direction. More "Some science happened, check this poo poo out." and less "omg such epicness!! :byodood:" wigging out over every single thing no matter how mundane or interesting.

I can only hope this is the case.

Let's hope.

I don't mourn the B team getting the axe whatsoever; I seriously hated them and all they have done for many years now. Terry and Grant have actual marketable skills, and Keri has, uh, gross nerd fans I guess, she should be able to cash in on conventions or something, so I don't feel bad about them losing their jobs. I know them being horrible wasn't really their fault so much as it was awful producers, writers, etc., but their segments were just rancid garbage.

Bring back folklore professor lady and Scotty. This is great news.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

I refuse to watch that show based on name alone

I agree. I grew up in a "chuck" house and I hate "chunk" people with a fire that burns as pure as the Sun.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

muscles like this? posted:

I have to imagine that getting rid of the Build Team saves the show a ton of money since they were basically producing two completely separate shows with the same premise and different cast. Especially the stuff about how they had to rent that entire other workshop for their segments.
Another incidental detail that makes the finale even more disorienting is that it was clearly completed a few years ago and left on the shelf. You can tell because it uses the old music packages (which are still better) and graphics. That makes the idea they edited old myth footage together with brand new footage highly doubtful. Only the ending might've been all new. So why would this of all episodes have been in stasis?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Another incidental detail that makes the finale even more disorienting is that it was clearly completed a few years ago and left on the shelf. You can tell because it uses the old music packages (which are still better) and graphics. That makes the idea they edited old myth footage together with brand new footage highly doubtful. Only the ending might've been all new. So why would this of all episodes have been in stasis?

It's from a couple of years ago, but there was some nonsense going on that made them not air it in the US in order. A guy claims that they ripped off his idea for his show (he's probably right), so I'm assuming that's why they held on to it for a bit.

edit - instead of going to the courts, he just bitches online, which kind of puts a damper on his story. Beyond that, boarding airplanes and traffic jams aren't exactly hard ideas to figure out independently.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 23, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm glad the Mythbusters build team is gone. Too bad for them and their jobs, being downgraded and all, but their way overly excited way of talking has been pretty annoying. While Adam and Jamie's lines are also prepared and scripted, they at least sound more natural doing it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm glad the Mythbusters build team is gone. Too bad for them and their jobs, being downgraded and all, but their way overly excited way of talking has been pretty annoying. While Adam and Jamie's lines are also prepared and scripted, they at least sound more natural doing it.

Jamie trying to sound excited is just plain embarrassing.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I like the episode where they get really excited about the explosion

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Jamie trying to sound excited is just plain embarrassing.

He can't suppress his hatred of scripted bits as well as everyone else. The build team got good at it because they were expendable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I almost didn't watch it because it originally aired in Australia a year ago. The Australian version always has a few minutes more footage because it airs on one of the state owned channels which doesn't have the sheer volume of commercials you see on other stations.

The only new stuff was the scene at the end giving the build team their inglorious send-off.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 23, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ariza posted:

It's from a couple of years ago, but there was some nonsense going on that made them not air it in the US in order. A guy claims that they ripped off his idea for his show (he's probably right), so I'm assuming that's why they held on to it for a bit.

edit - instead of going to the courts, he just bitches online, which kind of puts a damper on his story. Beyond that, boarding airplanes and traffic jams aren't exactly hard ideas to figure out independently.

All of his "amazing coincidences" aren't, too.

If someone said "what if we did a show about traffic myths," I'd have come up with that exact list too. Although mine would have been Washington to NYC because that's a more regionally appropriate city pair for me. That would have been, literally, the only difference.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Kari was Jamie's employee before she was cast for the show, but I don't imagine she'd easily go back to farting around in the background building things if she was straight-up fired. I'm imagining a scenario where Jamie just stares as them stone-faced and says, "you're fired because that was the only way they would agree to continue the show."

Tory was also there at least from the beginning, if not beforehand. The only one who was actually hired just to be on the show was Grant.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Combat Pretzel posted:

Even Adam felt forced most of the time, especially when you compare the show to his youtube stuff.

Also yeah Jamie put off a hell of a mean drunk vibe on the few drinking myths they did. Like "Let's do science wherein I give you a concussion with this bottle." mean.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Capn Beeb posted:

Even Adam felt forced most of the time, especially when you compare the show to his youtube stuff.

Also yeah Jamie put off a hell of a mean drunk vibe on the few drinking myths they did. Like "Let's do science wherein I give you a concussion with this bottle." mean.

I assume Adam and Jamie respect each others talents and skills, but I don't know how much they actually like each other. I wonder what it would look like to see them act normal during the experiments.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They worked together before Mythbusters even started so they have to at least tolerate being around each other. Adam, Grant and Tory have also known each other for forever because they all worked on the Star Wars prequels together at ILM.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

I assume Adam and Jamie respect each others talents and skills, but I don't know how much they actually like each other. I wonder what it would look like to see them act normal during the experiments.

I kinda assumed they're like Penn and Teller, where they work great off each other professionally, and aren't friends at all after working hours.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jamie seems like a man who finds social interaction a burden.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Jack Gladney posted:

Jamie seems like a man who finds social interaction a burden.

So he's a goon? :v:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MorgaineDax posted:

I kinda assumed they're like Penn and Teller, where they work great off each other professionally, and aren't friends at all after working hours.

Really? I thought those two were both psycho lolbertarian shitlords in agreement on a lot of weirdo opinions. I absolutely believe it about Jamie and Adam not really caring for eachother, but Penn and Teller's shows seem like two people who clearly share a lot.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

quote:

And, most curious of all, they have worked together for an unbroken run of 35 years yet, even now, they appear utterly incompatible: the tall shouty one who thinks and laughs; the small quiet one who feels and cries. “We are artistic and business partners, not primarily friends,” Teller says. “When we look at each other, we don’t think: 'Now there’s a likeable chap!’ We think about the projects we are doing and how we will get them done. When we were first working together, we didn’t have such thick skins. But we recognised how useful we were to each other. And that prevailed.”

Penn says we should compare their relationship not to a loveless marriage but to that of “two guys manning a 7/11 down the street. If they aren’t best buddies what do they care, as long as the coffee machine is working and the shelves are stacked? Teller and I work together every day, but socially we go out together maybe only once a year.”

I don't know anything about Jamie and Adam off screen, but to me they seem like the same type of dudes just getting poo poo done in the name of science/magic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There's something really hollow and sad, and cynical, about two entertainers working together for decades and really not caring for each other beyond their own financial success.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

They've said as much in several interviews.

http://stcommunities.straitstimes.com/tv/2013/05/29/busted-myth-friendship-between-mythbusters-jamie-hyneman-and-adam-savage

quote:

Hyneman says: “If you’re working with somebody that you don’t like, you know that can be very unpleasant. But if you have a great respect for them, it can be a great asset.

Jamie picked Adam for the show for very practical reasons. He's self-aware enough to know he needed someone gregarious to balance out him being a grump.

They do seem much more friendly with one another in the later years of the show though. I seem to remember them getting obviously annoyed with one another in the early years.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I feel like the original goal was to be able to produce more episodes, since Adam and Jamie weren't very fast,

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

smackfu posted:

I feel like the original goal was to be able to produce more episodes, since Adam and Jamie weren't very fast,

Well, originally they were just supposed to actually do the grunt work, hence the name. Then they got to do the more low key myths that weren't as fancy, like talking to plants.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
What do you all think of the Smithsonian channel? I've been loving it so far.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
When I first started watching, part of me thought Jamie and Adam were a couple. I'm kinda disappointed that they actually aren't.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

There's something really hollow and sad, and cynical, about two entertainers working together for decades and really not caring for each other beyond their own financial success.

Shippers ruin everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Discovery has canceled "Sons of Guns" after it's star, Will Hayden, has been arrested on multiple molestation and rape charges.

• Locked thread