Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

muscles like this? posted:

Discovery has canceled "Sons of Guns" after it's star, Will Hayden, has been arrested on multiple molestation and rape charges.
It would be dandy if every other worthless "assisted" reality snoozer followed suit and disappeared in flaming, indefensible disgrace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On the subject of Mythbusters, was interesting last week to hear one of my university lecturers last week talking about the episode with the chopped up plane (the early episode where it looked like someone had taken a chainsaw to the fuselage).'

It's quite a famous incident around here since it was one of our (as in the aviation academy I fly with) planes that got chopped up and was in the photos. The lecturer was head of the academy at the time and is still quite bitter since the university legal department vetoed the use of a big video interview they did with him about the incident and showing the location where it happened. Never got his moment of fame!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Discovery has canceled "Sons of Guns" after it's star, Will Hayden, has been arrested on multiple molestation and rape charges.

The first season of that show was watchable, but it quickly turned into the ultra fake contrived storylines that those shows ultimately become.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

At this point I'm split between just assuming it's terrible execs demanding the same thing over and over with the 'It'll work again!' mantra being repeated or some sort of summoning ritual for an elder god.

Then again is there really a practical difference between the two?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I am disappointed that the station has yet to be renamed The Reality Show Station.

Airplane Repo? Really?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

I am disappointed that the station has yet to be renamed The Reality Show Station.

Airplane Repo? Really?

Amish Mafia. Kill me now.

I try and stick to the educational portion; How it's made, how the universe works and I do enjoy some of the flagship reality shows still; Mythbusters and Deadliest catch.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I kinda wish MythBusters was scrapped entirely and just have Adam get his own show where he makes poo poo/props in his shop all episode. Basically his Tested videos as a full show.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

On the subject of Mythbusters, was interesting last week to hear one of my university lecturers last week talking about the episode with the chopped up plane (the early episode where it looked like someone had taken a chainsaw to the fuselage).'

It's quite a famous incident around here since it was one of our (as in the aviation academy I fly with) planes that got chopped up and was in the photos. The lecturer was head of the academy at the time and is still quite bitter since the university legal department vetoed the use of a big video interview they did with him about the incident and showing the location where it happened. Never got his moment of fame!

What was the chopped up plane myth?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kazak_Hstan posted:

What was the chopped up plane myth?

Probably seeing what happens when a spinning propeller crashes into another plane (3:30)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

latest episode of Naked and Afraid was hilarious (Episode 10 Dunes of Despair)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tethered is the worst. Holy poo poo this is stupid.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Tethered is the worst. Holy poo poo this is stupid.

Saw this on The Soup, disappointed to learn it's on Discovery.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope this dude falls off

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not that I expected him to fall... but that was pretty weak.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I'm so sick of that guy, I wish he'd fall off of something or maybe open a Wendy's or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even if he fell it's not like you would actually see it. The thing would just cut out because they have it on delay.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Even if he fell it's not like you would actually see it. The thing would just cut out because they have it on delay.

50,000 people with cell phone cameras. You'd see it from 30 diff angles eventually.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
He's no Phillipe Petit. I'm just not impressed by walking on a tight rope, blindfolded or no. That poo poo's second-nature to that guy. Do some tricks on it or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On December 7th Discovery Channel is going to air a special wherein a guy is eaten alive by a giant snake. It's imaginatively titled "Eaten Alive" and he's supposed to be wearing some kind of special "snake proof" suit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

How's he getting out of the snake, because if its anything like the post-credits scene in Pacific Rim, I only want to see the part where he gets out of the snake.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Any snake big enough to eat a guy whole is prob strong enough to strangle the gently caress out of him beforehand.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Definitely for science and not some horrible sex fetish.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So they have to find a preposterously large snake, capture the snake, provoke the snake, hope the suit holds up under the immense pressure from said preposterously large and angry snake, somehow entice the old and well-traveled snake into eating a very non-food-like bulky metal and rubber suit (with a guy inside it for no reason), get the snake to completely swallow him instead of immediately regurgitating the inedible item, keep the dude alive while inside the snake, take usable footage while inside the snake, then yank the dude out of the snake's belly.

All without harming the animal in any way, as the guy claims in his tweets.

I'm somewhat skeptical.

I'm guessing it'll be 95% searching for the snake, 5% trying to coax the snake into eating him, failing, maybe getting up to his shoulders or something before calling off the stunt and jamming down a remote camera aka the normal way of getting video footage of snakes' digestive tracts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OK, I hope that snake digests that dude 10 times more than I hoped the tightrope walker would fall off.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

On December 7th Discovery Channel is going to air a special wherein a guy is eaten alive by a giant snake. It's imaginatively titled "Eaten Alive" and he's supposed to be wearing some kind of special "snake proof" suit.

Someone's just seen Jon Voight in Anaconda

If you really want to impress me, tell me what the hell was that accent he was speaking with in that movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

If you really want to impress me, tell me what the hell was that accent he was speaking with in that movie.

Tommy Wiseu doing a Marlon Brando impersonation.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The more I think about it, the more completely ludicrous it seems. Like, assume the snake completely finishes the hours-long process it takes to completely "suffocate," fit in its mouth (which has never been recorded, by the way), and ingest the guy (snakes don't just go *bwoop* *swallow*). So then how do they get him out? Yeah they've got a rope tied to him, so what? If you swallowed something, would some jerk tugging on a string be able to just pop it out of your stomach? Are they planning on half the crew grabbing the snake's tail while the other half plays tug of war with the rope attached to the swallowed guy? All without hurting the snake like he claims?

Couple that with Discovery being really cagey with its promos and the lack of any preview footage and yeah I'm pretty sure this is just going to be a disappointing stunt so that guy can pimp his new book about how he's (directly quoting here) the "Indiana Jones of the Amazon."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The commercial they put out for it has him say he's going in head first so I predict that he gets his head kind of swallowed and declares it a success. It's definitely not going to be cartoon levels of snake lying there with a man shaped bump in its middle.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
I predict that it's bullshit, like the megalodon show.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah, I really can't see this ending any other way then he gets his head in then his team sedates the snake and pulls him out.

Or possibly the snake gives up/doesn't even try.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Maybe it uses its powerful jaws and sharp teeth to just gnaw on his face for a while?

I'd consider that a win, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nope. He's gonna go all the way in, and it'll be too late before anyone realizes there's something wrong, and the snake will fully digest him and then poop him out.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Hazo posted:

Couple that with Discovery being really cagey with its promos and the lack of any preview footage and yeah I'm pretty sure this is just going to be a disappointing stunt so that guy can pimp his new book about how he's (directly quoting here) the "Indiana Jones of the Amazon."

1. Indiana Jones did not care for snakes and would not have been down for being eaten by one.

2. Indiana Jones wasn't that stupid.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Discovery sure is getting a lot of press about this in any case: http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/11/06/erin-dnt-moos-man-eaten-by-anaconda.cnn.html

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

God, I can't stand regular news anymore. Other than the expert (and his wonderful teeth) I hate everyone in that segment. I don't think Discovery has anything worth anything anymore, other than Mythbusters and I don't have high hopes for that next season now that they got rid of the B-Team, which reeks of producer induced fuckery.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Ariza posted:

God, I can't stand regular news anymore. Other than the expert (and his wonderful teeth) I hate everyone in that segment. I don't think Discovery has anything worth anything anymore, other than Mythbusters and I don't have high hopes for that next season now that they got rid of the B-Team, which reeks of producer induced fuckery.

Uhhh the build team was basically producer induced fuckery. They wanted younger seeming, more energetic people who do stupid things like electrocute Adam as a "prank". Cue years of Tory doing jackass-esque stunts. The new Mythbusters, from what I've seen so far, is a return to form if anything. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to find out if this were the last season.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ToastyPotato posted:

That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to find out if this were the last season.

They signed a seven-year contract in 2010, so we've got another three years to go.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They should do a special throwback season where they mythbust everything they ever did on MacGuyver.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Ariza posted:

...the B-Team, which reeks of producer induced fuckery.
That's exactly what the b-team was to begin with, which is why their increasing slice of camera time and painfully unfunny scripted mugging and WACKY HIJINX SKITS were the primary culprit behind the show's gradual decline. It's going to be great to see huge swathes of an episode dedicated to method and construction again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For Mythbusters, I think it was also to pump out more episodes. Adam and Jamie doing all the work and presenting all the myths was great, but if it takes them two weeks to do one myth that is half an episode, that's a bad pace. If they don't need to do anything on the other myths in an episode, much better.

• Locked thread