Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shark week has been terrible forever, it was just marginally more acceptable when we were 10 years old, had the entire summer off, and literally nothing worth watching was on over the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

Shark week has been terrible forever, it was just marginally more acceptable when we were 10 years old, had the entire summer off, and literally nothing worth watching was on over the summer.

Ya pretty much this. I think I stopped watching shark week right around high-school or after.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Shark Week is loving awful. What could you bastards have possibly learned about sharks since last year's shark week?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Check out this crazy thing Adam made!" That's pretty much exactly the same as the thing he made for the strike first myth.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I call this one man getting hit in the groin with lightsaber.
e: spending this much time on a dumb as hell line from RotS feels like a waste.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 6, 2015

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Why the hell did they spend all that time building the lightsaber suit that conducts electricity? Isn't that literally exactly what the standard suits they wear for fencing competitions do?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why not just have two actual fencers try it? They weren't going to prove anything anyway, but was having those two goober flail at each other really the best option?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Why the hell did they spend all that time building the lightsaber suit that conducts electricity? Isn't that literally exactly what the standard suits they wear for fencing competitions do?

You probably can't get full-body hit detection from fencing gear. That, and they wanted the light-up belts for the audience to see so they'd have to do a bunch of modification work anyway.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I just recently saw a post online that showed off full body dueling armor that could score hits. It looked a lot more bulky than a copper sheet, obviously, but it was designed so that people could wail on each other with the stick sword things.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
To me it seemed like they missed the entire point of the 'higher ground' scene which was that it had nothing to do with fighting. Obi Wan cut Annakin's legs off when he jumped off the stupid floating platform because jedi can't do anything in the prequels without making it into a loving circus act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIslHNMf3g8

If Annakin hadn't been such a douchebag, he could have done a small step off the platform onto the rock and been okay to fight on. But he had to do the big ninja flip over Obi Wan's head :doh:

Fake edit: Also listen to the sound Annakin makes when he jumps. It's this pathetic little, "urhhhhh" noise. Its hilarious.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also, Darth Maul had the high ground when Obi Wan was dangling from the ledge, and Obi Wan jumped over him and cut him in half while he just stood there dumbfounded.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another thing- it was a big exaggeration to say that the guy successfully blocked the shots with his sword. On the high-speed recaps you could see that he only moved his sword a couple of inches before the projectile hits it; if the gun hadn't fired almost directly at the sword to begin with he would have been hit (and he was, many more times than deflections).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I mean the biggest thing thing they are ignoring is that Jedi literally use magic to bolster their skills, especially with light sabers, which is why basically no one else who isn't force sensitive uses freaking lightsabers. The closest is Greivous and I am pretty sure he WAS force sensitive at some point before he became a cyborg monster. So yeah, you can't do those things in real life, because the Force doesn't exist.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Couldn't stop laughing at the dweeb -shaped "jedi stunt coordination master". It's real shame the editor didn't use more of his embarrassing overconfident lines in the final cut.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Couldn't stop laughing at the dweeb -shaped "jedi stunt coordination master". It's real shame the editor didn't use more of his embarrassing overconfident lines in the final cut.

Protege to the jedi stunt coordinator! :eng101:

But seriously, I cringed pretty hard.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It was like watching tragic Napoleon Dynamite outtakes. I wanted more

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There's an old episode about catching arrows with the biggest tool you've ever seen.

He billed himself as a professional ninja and psyched himself up for catching the arrows (which he totally failed at) by flailing limply at the inside of a doorway and it was just tragic.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I remember that guy and he wasn't as phony as this one because he looked like he'd actually willfully engaged in exercise within his lifetime, as opposed to using the starwars kid as a career example.

iirc he did knock an arrow or two out of the way which was at least more than Adam & Jamie could manage in their control tests.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The best thing about every professional ninja expert I have ever seen on TV is that they have basically all been middle aged white dudes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If you want awkward doughy white guys pretending to be experts at fighting styles you should dig up Deadliest Warrior, it's the gold standard.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ToastyPotato posted:

The best thing about every professional ninja expert I have ever seen on TV is that they have basically all been middle aged white dudes.

There was a fat white guy who called himself a ninja in one of the first UFCs. It was really funny.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

If you want awkward doughy white guys pretending to be experts at fighting styles you should dig up Deadliest Warrior, it's the gold standard.

I saw every episode of that show and it was glorious.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

I saw every episode of that show and it was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSXZnxLZ0I

The classic.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

IRQ posted:

every single participant in that show was a blustering buffoon regardless of their race, as it was a prerequisite to entry

the dramatizations were mostly cool though

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 10, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

the dramatizations were mostly cool though

The back and forth "each team loses a guy" made it easy to figure out who would win.

Plus some of them drove me crazy with who won because it had to fit the mold of "each team loses a guy, in turn, and they have to use an example of all their weapons." I remember thinking that during the Waffen SS vs Viet-Cong. The VC had captured some SS dude, so the team was trying to rescue him. And he doesn't just stand there and yell "No sacrifice is too great for the Fatherland!" before one of the other SS guys just roasts everyone, including the captured guy, with his flamethrower. Nooooo they save the flamethrower for last in the one on one duel.

Still, got to see a Somali Pirate kill someone with a grappling hook. Don't see that every day.

Ha, I'd forgotten about George Washington punching Napoleon in the face

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That style is known as "prison shanking."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was weird they went through all that effort and in the end it looked like they were doing things exactly the same by just kind of randomly flailing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ramdon flailing with the occasional twirl :eng101:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bering Sea Gold is back and it's started off pretty good if anyone cares, i know there was a thread for it back in the day but i can't seem to find it :shrug:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Photex posted:

Bering Sea Gold is back and it's started off pretty good if anyone cares, i know there was a thread for it back in the day but i can't seem to find it :shrug:

We're the only two left on the planet watching this show.

BSG "Under the Ice" kinda of petered out. It looks like Nome didn't like all the hobos showing up to strike it rich and locked down permits. It honestly looked like the only people out dredging the ice were the people on the TV show. Last season there were shacks every 10 feet for miles. It also might explain why the Christine Rose guys went *100* miles away to go mine for what looked like a week.

It sucks because I liked the under the ice out of all the shows, and they neutered it. It'll be interesting to see if it's the same way with BSG normal this season. I have a feeling it'll be a full Tomcot claim and that's about it.

Gold Rush starts next week.I saw it on my DVR yesterday thinking it already started but it was just a recap of last season which I didn't need to see, I just deleted it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 11, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Where's the new Gold Rush thread?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
This is the only "reality" show I watch. I just can't quit these loving idiots, oh I know everything is melting let me try and drive across the ice :downsbravo:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

:siren:supercut:siren:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'm glad Gold Rush is back because i can just sit in my chair and know that i'd do a better job than the hoffman's

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm so glad Discovery is still willing to cover the worst gold mining operation in existence.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm so glad Discovery is still willing to cover the worst gold mining operation in existence.

With a name like Jack Hoffman how could they not?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

What is everyone's thoughts on the Beets/Parker contract signing? I'm personally siding with Parker that's a pretty bullshit way to change a contract..

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Photex posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on the Beets/Parker contract signing? I'm personally siding with Parker that's a pretty bullshit way to change a contract..

It is a complete bullshit move. Always ask for the offering party to sign first, then it's locked in. Someone should have stepped in on Parker's behalf and tell him it wasn't a valid contract until Tony signs it, and to not start work until that happens.

So, Tony's a dick, Parker is naive, and it was 100% scripted from the get go, Gene not coming back and all.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Photex posted:

Manufactured drama would be my guess. Tony's wife was saying something along the line of "It wasn't us" while Tony was laying into the blowhard routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

the entire situation was Fake And GayŽ. There is 0% chance that someone as profit/results oriented as Beets would find no choice but to surrender a high quality claim just so he could have CHEESEMAN as the foreman of his dredge crew. He clearly loves being on tv, though. It was a complete invention by the producers made out of coerced building blocks. Note the fishiness of a few of the meeting scenes - I guarantee they were scripted, because no one in the cast is a good actor and it shows in the stilted, halting dialogue with frequent hard cuts.

The really shoddy and frequent sound edits are back too, where they drop in names that weren't said into sentences in a hilariously jarring manner and the cadence of todd's speech suddenly changes.

• Locked thread